June 15th, 2010

Eminem: “I was a couple hours away from death”

Happy Tuesday, Marquee blog readers! "Showbiz Tonight's" Brooke Anderson here. I just got back from the Staples Center in downtown L.A., where Eminem, Usher and Jane’s Addiction were among the musical acts at a concert kicking off the E3 video game convention. The big bash was sponsored by Activision and Eminem’s no stranger to video games – his music appears in Activision’s ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops.” I was offered a special chance to talk to Eminem before he went on stage.

We met up with Eminem in a VIP lounge, and he talked about his new album, “Recovery” - which hits stores next Monday - and also really opened up about the trials he’s faced over the past several years.

This latest disc, he said, reflects a healthier place in his life.

“Recovery feels better than ever," the Detroit rapper said. "Feels like I’m me again.”

But it wasn’t easy facing his drug addiction demons.

“It took me awhile to admit I actually did have a problem," the musician said. "In the hip-hop world that I live in, it can be mistaken for weakness and the last thing you want to do in hip-hop is admit that you're weak. But if I didn't admit I was weak with this certain thing I was going to die."

When asked how close he was to death, the artist responded that he “was certainly a couple of hours away from death," adding that he "overdosed and almost died.”

But he pulled himself back from the brink and re-entered rehab with a more honest, committed attitude: “I had to admit I had a problem. I had to do it for myself," Eminem said.

The album’s already been leaked and Lindsay Lohan, for one, was inspired by one of its tracks, “Talkin' 2 Myself.” She tweeted, "Couldn't relate to this song more some days...."

I asked Eminem how people who are exposed to the trappings of fame - and everything that goes along with it - avoid the pitfalls?

“That's a tough question. I don't know how you avoid it. I mean, I could say the cliched things, make sure you stay on the right path, you make the right decisions in life," he said. "You know, fame is a funny thing, man, especially, you know, actors, musicians, rappers, rock singers, it's kind of a lifestyle and it's easy to get caught up in it - you go to bars, you go to clubs, everyone's doing a certain thing... It's tough.

And while he could simply say, "stay away from that," he added that perhaps it's something one has to experience. "There's some people that can go do that and some people who can't. I was one of those people who couldn't and I had a tough time trying to understand why I couldn't.”

Make sure to watch "Showbiz Tonight" for the entire interview with Eminem – Tuesday Live @ 5PM ET and 11PM ET/PT on HLN.

1. Missy Piccinone

This is a clever little article, do you allow full text in your RSS subscriptions?
    Message to moderator – I'm not spamming, or promoting anything, I'm just testing the features of this forum.
    I'm looking for an expert in this field for some off-site work. Anyone interested?
    I'm a little bit eccentric, and sometimes my comments get removed. I just want to add some spark.

AAAAA – American Association Against Acronym Abuse.

November 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jameson

if you listen to eminems newest cd all this has meaning. all his albums have meaning. it just depends on the person listening. for me, i can relate to what he's saying in his songs, i understand everything he's going through and my heart goes out the guy i work a 12 step program and if you listen there are alot of good meaning in his newest album, lets just say that in a couple songs, he's not rapping about a girl, he's rapping about his former lover, i hope you make it em

October 25, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. MusicFan

Anybody who has listened to the best work of Eminem and still says he's talentless and a waste of space doesn't understand good lyricism. At his best, Eminem is a master poet: his work is characterized by use of alliteration, iambic pentameter, slant rhyming, and poly-syllabic word juggling. The fact that he can spill the syllables upon syllables upon syllables that he piles onto the page in a dizzying fashion onto record is just the icing on the cake. His last two albums were lazy, uninspired, and unfocused, for the most part, but his new album "Recovery" is a true return to form for a defining artist of our generation, no matter the genre. His worst work is disposable, but his best work deserves to be put in the annals with Dylan. And that is not a joke. I'm glad that he was able to pick up the pieces, admit he has a problem and come back to do what he does best. He wasn't the best selling artist of the decade for no reason, folks.

June 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. webmistress

They say slimshady is really crazy, he is a great artist, but he does seem gone t me

June 17, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nikki

Speaking as a Detroit native that is familiar with Em and D12, Em is the truth. He isn't a wanna be thug. He is a survivor. He grew up and survived in areas that I wouldn't have made it. Em always makes me mad @ a lot of African American Hip Hop artisits (and YES Em is true Hip Hop). He has shown the game more respect than my so called "brothas." So I am so happy for him and his recovery and I am looking forward to the new disk

June 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sunshine

What's with all the death wishes? What the hell are you doin on this blog?
    Eminem is a name everyone knows. He is obviously gifted. He is also a hottie. Talented and hot – STILL! He has also grown up and still on top. AND can admit to weakness. This is a real man 100%. Eminem – your music is original as you are. I look forward to years and years more of your art.

June 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LillianMinx

2BRN2B – B!!!! YOU HATERS – YOU'RE ON THE WRONG BLOG! LOVE THE DARK EM – LOVE THE BLONDE TOO!

June 16, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JanesLover

This guy can spit lyrics like no other! Rock on Em! I love you!

June 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. NO JOKE

Each CD put out was different and exciting! "What will he do next?!" echoed along with "that guy is terrible! (lyrics)" To stay in the rap world on top for this long – you gotta know you are amazing and meant to be here! You changed the rap world for a lot of us who couldn't/woulnd'tl isten to some of the other NWA type rappers. Eminem – you are awesome!

June 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Deana

EMINEM YOU ARE ULTRA TALENTED! THANK YOU FOR STAYING!!!!

June 16, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stewart K

This piece of garbage needs to disappear from popular culture. ENOUGH!

June 16, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. wpp

This guy is a rancid-punk. Hope you fans all grow up one day to realize this.

June 16, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. kidssk8

mnimen is the dr. seuss of rap...

June 16, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lee

To bad time didn't speed up just a little right then.

June 16, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bill

Close butt not cigar. Oh well, maybe next time, loser!

June 16, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. MIDNIGHTBLUE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... I'M SOOO GLAD THAT YEW DIDN'T DIE! :) BUT SERIOUSLY.... DRUGS? THATS INSANE!... I'M JUST GLAD THAT YEW R STILL ALIVE

June 16, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. Freedom Rider

A couple of hours away from death? Really? Too bad it didn't happen – But, the silver-lining is that there's always hope for the next time – one less hate-filled rapper is always a plus.

June 16, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  18. Kevin

Didn't know this site was filled with a bunch of Bill Reilly's. The people who bash him as a person are the greatest. "He had a drug problem HAHAHAHA i hope he dies." He had an addiction to prescription pain medication. You don't have to be a crack head to pick up that habit. Non of your favorite "celebrity" musicians have had issues with drugs? I find that hard to believe. And the people bashing him as a father? Haha get a clue. Say what you want about rap, but don't take shots at someone's personal life who you don't even know.

June 16, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  19. giz

damn, just 2 hours, I would have given him a couple of beers to prolong it

June 16, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  20. DC

I am person who loves music. I enjoy music when lyrics mean something and also has a great beat or a great heavy guitar riff or beautiful rythem. Em really does have some great lyrics about his life and his experiences. He also has a great mind where he creates stories and he has great music/beats behind him. Ya he's a white rapper, but to most people in the rap world, his color doesn't even matter just like the Beastie Boys. There are other great rappers and rap groups out there just like are some terrible rappers out there. Metallica, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Faith No More are other great types of music that have meaningful lyrics and great music behind them. Just like Bush and Poison are terrible rock acts. People grow up in each of thier own different ways. Some in the rap world, some in the rock world. Sure Em is not everyone's cup of tea but, he really is a musical genius.

June 16, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  21. Mikealanso

2Bad he didnt die when the world had the chanse to get ridd of his untalanted ass......

June 16, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  22. dewey chbag

CRAP im confused. is it cool to like him still or not?

June 16, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. mbauman

Eminem is a moron – too bad he didn't croak. Maybe next time. The gene pool should rid itself of feckless losers like this worthless dufus. Eminem personifies all that is wrong with America – stupid idiots that contribute nothing to society.

June 16, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Freedom Rider

"stupid idiots that contribute nothing to society."

######################################################

But the people who buy his "music" contribute mightily to his bottom line in the tens of millions, and that's all he cares about.

June 16, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • MothaTheresa

mbauman – you are the winner of todays complete moron prize – you idiot. You feckless deadbeat posting on Eminem blog blogging trash. You wasted piece of space. If you could only be half as talented as Eminem you would be surfing elsewhere you hater. Jealous much? Yea, you are.

June 16, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Brotherbones

Wahh, Wahh. Poor Me! I rhyme for a living, get paid way too much. Fool the white kids that I'm someone "different" and purchase illegal / illicit drugs to abuse. Now I want you to BUY my latest music CD. He he he .... I fooled them again!

June 16, 2010 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  25. Sheryl

I love Eminem and I am so glad he has conquered his demons. He is such a good father and I love his work.

June 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Killermike

Eminem isn't just the best rapper of all time, but the defining musician of the last decade. It's fascinating hearing him off the stage, but I feel like I get to know him even better through the alternate personas in his lyrics. He's a master of storytelling, satire, and modern poetry. I hope he gets some more Grammys for his work on Recovery.

June 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • RapIsCrap

HAHAHAHAHA! You mindless piece of garbage. You make me puke and laugh at the same time. Puke, because you're a moron. Laugh because you're stupid.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, that's rich! GAG

June 15, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. judgejay

judgejay.wordpress.com

June 15, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bear

Thanks for the heads up. I won't be even CONSIDERING ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops. Rappers SUCK. White rappers suck A$$.

June 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Nate Dog

I'll bet he's back on drugs within 12 months. He's a drug addict and non-role model parent. There are too many great people on this planet and we can do without his type.

June 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. supersniffy

Better Luck Next Time!!

June 15, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Buckwheat

Dude your rap whatever it's called sucks. Go away you cry baby wigger.

June 15, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Michael Corleone

This is news?...Who cares!..With all the crap thats going on in the world, this kids problems are the least news worthy. What a waste of band-width

June 15, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Philo

RAP IS NOT MUSIC AT ALL, IT IS INDEED A MISH-MOSH GARBAGE EXAMPLE OF IDOTS PERFORMED BY
    SAME. EMMEM AND ALL THE OTHER RAPPERS HAVE NO TALENT, THEY ALL NEVER HAD ANY TALENT,
    AND THEY NEVER WILL. THEY ARE NOTHING, THEY ALWAYS WERE NOTHING, AND, THEY NEVER WILL
    BE ANYTHING. ANYBODY WHO THINKS RAP HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH REAL MUSIC CAN ALSO BE
    CLASSIFIED AS AN IDIOT.

June 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Walter Rego

Some things are just wrong. White rappers are one of them. Along with backwards baseball caps, men with ear rings, and plastic guns. There is no music involved with rap and no talent involved. To be a no-talent rapper is really saying something. Grow a mullet and reinvent yourself loser.

June 15, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • killermike

He's more talented than whatever idiot musicians you listen to...

June 15, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  35. good luck

Glad to hear he's face his demons and was strong enough to fight for his life, loved ones & fans. its a shame how peeps disapprove of his lyrics especially in a serious event in his life that wouldve turn deadly. i know he does and will relate to peeps of any generation with the same issues to turn their life around for the better thru his music. and for those haten on EM, TRUTH HURTS!!! obvisously you all cared in some way to take time to view his video and the article. Just remember, before you haters write something negative, someone close to you may have similar drug/alcohol issues so have respect. its too bad many peeps dont see both sides of the situation...And to you Em, stay strong. I wish you the best in life and your career....

June 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Odalice Feliz

Oh Mr.J don't tell me that, it makes my sweet heart just fall apart! ~**harley quinn**~

I use to go to club and party all the time, but that just sunk me more into depression!!!!

eminem is a daddy and has to stay home with his family!

June 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. brianCNN

Isn't he Elton John's boyfriend?

June 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Death to ZOG

I can't wait until this fa66ot wigger dies.

June 15, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Buddy

A tortally waste to the human race.

June 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Brother Maynard

Damn.. two hours too late.

June 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your comment was two hours too late

I can't tell any of you tools apart when you make the bad "time" joke. Been done... sorry, you fail.

June 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mickey

Why doesnt this HORRIBLY WRITTEN article use ONE SENTENCE to tell the reader what type of drugs he was on, how he got hooked, and how he OD'd; what a sad state 'journalism' is these days. i read the whole article and I have almost none of the information that i am looking for. BOOOOO

June 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  42. littlewhacked sambo

Enough already! He sucks! A lowlife who wouldn't know music if it gave him an STD. I hope he meets Tupac.

June 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. TheBigF

Cage??? he is an emo wanna be, hes a different wanna be every album. Go away

June 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  44. David

Rap is trash. It is a drug that has destroyed our society. It galmourizes drugs and crime. I wish they'd all OD. How ironic would that be. His rap has undoubtedly led many kids to a life like his.

June 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

"His rap has undoubtedly led many kids to a life like his."

Bet you don't have kids... because if you did you would know that it's the parents' jobs to keep their children informed of these things and to raise them properly. If you ignore your children when they need you to be their role model, they will resort to worshipping these celebrities.

Maybe if you did your research farther back, you would see that rap wasn't always about drugs and crime. Perhaps you need to stop living in your pool of ignorance and do your own research.

June 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Real Music

Eminem: “I was a couple hours away from death” – Who cares.

June 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1 & only

i guess you cared...you made the time to get to this article..enough said...good luck em!

June 15, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. bailoutsos

Guess he never met the real hip-hop world that Vanilla Ice ran into.

June 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. csbrewfisher

Why couldn't he just have died? The world would be a much kinder, gentler, thoughtful place.

June 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmm

Nice sarcasm.

June 15, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • I dont think so

Hmm, he's not being sarcastic. If you read his comment above he clearly doesn't like Eminem. Only a fool would actually believe that wishing the death of another human being would lead to a kinder, gentler, more thoughtful place.

Him dying to me is quite similar to you dying, csbrewfisher. The only difference I see here is that his death will be on the news, and his fans will mourn him, while the only ones who will mourn you are your family and close friends (all 2 of them). Not to say his death is more important (they will call it news) but he actually has fans that will basically mourn him. Call them dumb all you want, but you're clearly hating on someone else's success. If you don't like it, make something of yourself. Otherwise, tough luck. He is just a celebrity caught up in the limelight. I bet you wouldn't know what to do with yourself in his position, either.

June 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. brianCNN

Maybe he'll do another collaboration with DIDO. Who's next? ENYA? Yep, that's M and M–always keeping it real!

June 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. RapIsCrap

Too bad he didn't go ahead and die. No loss. Rap is disgusting enough while black "artists" *COUGH* are doing it – it's doubly disgusting when an uneducated, illiterate white man does it. I use the term "man" quite loosely here.

June 15, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Rai

What haters! Em is being real, as always, if you dont like his music, dont listen. Plain and simple. Like half of you can even rap yourselves.

June 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • csbrewfisher

He makes music? I've only heard his offensive, trashy, no-talent crap. I must discover some of this music.

June 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  51. suibne

Golly gosh gee beav, why should care one iotia if this little bumblef.k lives or dies? Huh? oh.....sorry for such grass language......on the other hand.......mr emanemanemanemanm......miniminee.....mininimineee.......f.ck you.

June 15, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Codeman

crip crap!

June 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jaxson13

The song "Yesterday" has over 2,000 cover versions. Mr. Mnm's songs covered by ANYONE? Will they be remembered 100 years from now? Me no think so. Oh, well, Truth Hurts, donnit??

June 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • iseeyou

Yeah it does which is why we have morons here defending him like if he deserves it.

June 15, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • both ways

... just as there are "morons" bashing Eminem. I guess people who are incapable of keeping an open mind do not know how to respect the opinions of other people. There is a difference between debating something and name-calling. Jaxson13, instead of wasting your whole day talking against Eminem, which it seems like you have been doing like a troll, go out and do something useful. Your argument is as flawed as when someone says Eminem will be "more successful than you will ever be." Selling records doesn't mean anything, nor does someone covering your song.

The only reason this article gets so much attention is because idiots like you keep commenting on it. If he's not that important or talented to you, perhaps you should just visit another article. I find it funny that both sides of this issue keep bickering back and forth... for what? You think Eminem cares what any of you think? You think he even checks this? Laughable.

June 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marsh Mallow Gas

I love that one song of his where he says he takes it "both ways."

June 15, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Valerie

While not a "fan" of his music, I am truly a fan of any human being who wants to amend their lives, and works so hard to recover from any type of addiction.

God Bless you, Eminem~ Mr Mathers!

June 15, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Howard

Oh my God, people, whats with all the racial comments........ I am a black man, btw and I think Eminiem is one of the dopest rapppers out there, of course he is not in the same class as Rakim and Chuck D, but funky is funky or for the Hip Hop challenged good is good, and he is one of the best........

June 15, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • iseeyou

I take it because your "black" that the only thing you can listen to is rap? There are better music out there.

June 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  56. lol

Gotta love the kids who spew hate towards Eminem and towards each other... sometimes it just makes the article a little more interesting.

If this were any month but the summer months, most of these commenters wouldn't even be here... wonder what that means...

June 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • iseeyou

Hmm I do wonder what it means when you your self are posting here during summer.

June 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trix are for kids

did you mean "yourself?"

Could be on a lunch break. For you to defend yourself you obviously are the kid "iseeyou"

You don't see anyone through a computer unless you're on webcam. Sorry to burst your bubble... oh well back to your Power Rangers and Pokemon.

"There are better music out there"

Looks like I was wrong... you aren't in school... you dropped out.

June 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • iseeyou

Nope just bored.

June 15, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Looks like I struck a nerve with iseeyou. Instead of seeing the point of my comment he gets offended, typical kid.

June 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samuel

If you're bored, getting a job might help.

June 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • iseeyou

How am I being offended? Just said am bored.

June 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • iseeyou

Hey how can you strike a nerve in me if you’re not here in person?

June 15, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ iseeyou

If it didn't "strike a nerve" with you, why do you bother responding? Why, after 20 minutes of your last comment do you come back with another one saying "how does that strike a nerve?" Obviously if his comment was unimportant to you, there wouldn't be a period in time where you dwell on it.

June 15, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. iseeyou

He should just overdose simple as that.

June 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samuel

But he didn't... and he won't... not for now. It's a shame your parents didn't raise you well enough to be more respectful to people who are struggling with life. For your sake, I hope when you go through tough patches in life people will be more respectful/understanding to you.

June 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jaxson13

Yes, his "music" is wonderful! I especially enjoy the soaring melodies, the delicate nuances of his dynamics, his unusual harmonic structures and mostly the way he utilitzes chord progressions in a manner contrary to the key signature. Add to this the beautiful, well-thought-out poetry that he brings to the musical framework. Ahhhh.....guess he's not the simpleton hack spewing whatever epithets come to his tongue after all....

June 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Who made you the Music Guru? If you have a problem with his works, one comment should suffice. You only sound like a broken record with your multiple comments.

June 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • brianCNN

Funny–M and M sounds like a broken record also. "I'm a whiner because my life is hard. Boo Hoo." And here he is again crying trying to con people into buying his new record.

June 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Kristina Erin Kaye

Tell me this ... with all the information about how many celebrities have OD on drugs or just had a drug problem and were really destroying their life does it take for these people to just stop ... or better yet, never start? I've been hearing these stories for 40 years and the message never seems to get through!!! Just don't ever do drugs .... ever!

We tell people about how dangerous drugs are and they continue to do them anyway. I just have no patience with these stories anymore. STOP!!!

June 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • brianCNN

The problem is that celebrities are never actually punished for their behavior. They get a slap on the wrist or time out cards so they can go and "work". They should be held to higher standards than all of us because they are so visible. If they get punished for doing wrong, then the average person on the street can be punished also.

This entire announcement is a publicity stunt anyway. This pop star is selling another album and he needs to get some attention. If there was any justice, they would hold him accountable for using and possessing illegal substances and deny him and his music company the ability to promote or even get any payment for this album. At the very least, he should not be allowed to tour. And it's not censorship–I just think it's about time these criminals are treated like criminals.

June 15, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Kevin

By world he means industry. Haha you people really need to take your heads out of your rear ends.

June 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  61. brianCNN

What a phony! "In this hip-hop world I live in..." Cry me a river. He's a pop star who was created to sell records to white people–the Vanilla Ice of the late 90s if you will. He is a druggie and should be locked up–not rewarded.

June 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dbinva

True. One day the children of his fans will say to their parents, "You really listened to that crap?" Who wants to admit that they knew all the lyrics to "Ice Ice Baby"? He's a fad!

June 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Aunt Bee

Boring, trite and nothing new here.

A rapper with a drug habit is like a Catholic priest with a penchant for ...

June 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • iseeyou

Wow I agree with you 100%. This guy should just overdose and get it over with. Only because you’re having a "hard time" doesn't mean you have to do drugs to escape from your problems.

June 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dbinva

The fact that this guy sells records is absolute proof that PT Barnam was right. "Rap music" is an oxymoron.

June 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Kevin

.....Except his music is way more than throwing F bombs around..

June 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wing1

that maybe true for some people but other people just get turned off after hearing it more than once in a song. its kind of like a movie, you can mess up a really good movie by loading it with f bombs or anyting else that might annoy you to death. music is the same way. too much of it can really take your focus off of what the purpose of the song is.

if i get mad or crack myself in the head i'm guilty of yelling "F!" just like anyone else, i just dont care to hear it repeatedly in music and even movies for that matter.

June 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  64. James

If a rapper dies and nobody cares, does it really happen?

June 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Not sure, but if you went away no one would notice. It sure as heck won't be on the news.

June 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Wing1

For the people arguing "Eminem makes more money than you" its a pretty lame arguement.
    1) A lot of people in hollywood makes more money than just about all of us, that doesnt meam they are all good, likeable people.
    2)what good is all of that money when you come close to dying like this guy did.
    3) if throwing the 'F' bomb around numerous times in a song is being a musical genius then we have quite a few geniuses out there....

i was young at one point, i listened to some of his music. granted i grew out of it fairly quick because his disrespectful and nasty ways of presenting his music got old pretty fast. This guy has been an adult for quite some time. So yeah, i'd say its time to him to start acting like one.
    I'm not just singling him out either, there are MANY more musicians/celebs that need to do the same and actually set an example for younger people. Theres quite a difference in the "music" being played on the radio today compared to when i was growing up, and I'm only 30. Not saying some music wasnt horrible back when i was in my teens but its getting worse. You can sing a song about anything and get it played on the radio, are the standards that low today?

June 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jaxson13

Kevin, what Mozart symphonies have you listened to? Enlighten yourself. At least you admit his work is b/s. Some fan! Guess neither YOU nor the Grim Reaper care for him......now go wipe the kissy lips off your mNm poster!

June 15, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Kevin

There is a reason he is rich and famous people. Obviously he is a one hit wonder. There must be a reason why you still here about him and not Vanilla Ice. Eminem has depth to his music. He's one of the few rappers still alive who doesn't need to be throwing dollar bills in the air in his music videos.

June 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • sickntired

Kevin,
      The ONLY reason he is rich and famous is because of D-bags like yourself who think he is great and buy his filth.
      Don't drink too much of the kool-aid, we won't have anyone left to work at the fast food joints and Wal-Mart.

June 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Ignore him, Kevin... not like sickntired can afford anything at Walmart without asking his mommy for allowance.

June 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Kevin

Jaxson, what Eminem songs have you listened to? Enlighten me. He is way more talented than you will ever be and has accomplished more than you ever will in your entire life. I love how you guys all come in here throwing punches at him when all you've heard are his mainstream b/s singles.

June 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jaxson13

Hey, c'mon! M&Ms was writing SYMPHONIES and playing in front of ROYALTY when he was only SIX YEARS OLD! Oh, wait, sorry, that was that Mozart. If mnm is a GENIUS, it doesn't speak well for the intelligence level of his listeners. Unless you mean he's been a genius at hiding any shred of talent, creativity or originality.....I thought his 15 minutes were up LONG ago.....

June 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Ever heard of an open mind? Get one. Who cares if rap is crap or not... if you gave it a chance and disliked it, then fine. I bet you're just hating on something you don't even understand. Some rap is an art, and some rap is truly utter crap.

Good for you if you're into Mozart. His music was beautiful, but sometimes people relate better to music with lyrics... and some of Eminem's lyrics mean something to some people. It doesn't to me, but I would not be far from the truth to say that it impacts some people out there. Get outside and look at the world around you...

June 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Kevin

"I dislike his music so I REALLY wish he would have died-he's classless." Do I sound like the classless retards posting on here or what? Am I doing it right?

June 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Sharon

So, he's no Keith Richard, huh?
    No one can survive the party like the Baby Boomers.

June 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  72. TM

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people that actually take this Hippity Hop cr@p seriously....lol

June 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jaxson13

It's not the only drug problem he's got: lots of people wish he were drug through the cactus before releasing any of that noise he purports to be "music."

June 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  74. BrankB

This happens in real life to real people but I don't see CNN interviewing a normal (not famous) who have gotten better.

June 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Tim

Another white pickininny.....I love it.

June 15, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  76. sickntired

Just another idiot trying to sell his new album!
    How many times have we seen an actor/musician come out with this story when their new film or album is about to hit the market?
    Wise up people!!! Just another waste of time and someone trying to make a buck!
    Forget all of this celebrity and reality crap and lets concentrate on the real problems that hamper the USA, job losses, growing deficits, natural disasters.
    I pity anyone who actually believes this garbage...GOD HELP YOU!!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality Check

I dont believe him, but I do believe the Medical reports that came out saying the same things he just said. Nothing he said there is made up, it was in the news over 2 years ago, christmas time in 2007, do your research before you accuse someone of making things up

June 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Ether

Great interview, people can take the "Just say no" argument more serious when it comes from someone that they look up to who has been there himself, more then some old fossil in a classroom who never experienced first hand just telling you what he thinks will happen

oh, and to the uninformed idiot up top who said eminem was "Irrelevant", his new single sold a million copies on Itunes and his album, which doesnt even get released till next monday, is already #2 on Itunes just from Pre-orders, sounds pretty relevant to me

June 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Jeff

Does anyone really care if he died? I know I don't .

June 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • millions

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many people care when a child molester died... you probably did too!

June 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

Nope could not care that MJ OD and then his family tried to blame it on his doctor. I care more when a child molester goes free and people think nothing of it.

June 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • al

WoW, we sure have alot of low self-esteem in this Country. At this rate, we are surely distine to third-world country status in the near future. Take control and be responsible for your actions. It will known through out this land that drugs are illegal and there is a reason for that.

June 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Seriously

I always cringe when I hear people talk about Eminem trying to "act black" and then go and associate acting black with rap music. There are plenty of "gangsta rappers" in all races. It is about economics not skin color. Judging by Eminem's reputed upbringing, he would fit into the mold for that type of music.

There are also plenty of black men smart enough not to buy into that mentality.

There are too many idiots who want to put people into a box in this country. It is causing a lot of social harm in this country. Black people can be found in all levels of academia and singing all different types of music. Skin color does not determine musical preference. Plenty of white kids buy rap music. Is it because they want to be black .. or be considered cool. It only makes sense that they'd also make rap music.

Emenim isn't "acting black" and black kids with good grades are not "acting white" – and that, is why these stupid stereotypes are hurting communities.

June 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  80. john q

Can we stop reporting whenever a celebrity tweets? This isn't newsworthy. I chose not to participate in twitter or celebrity worship. I don't care what the narcissists have to say. But the media has made it impossible to avoid. Twitter is an internet fad that will go away just like Aim, yahoo and the rest. Its not important enough to report on it. If I wanted to read celebrity tweets I will sign up for them, thanks.

June 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  81. lucerot

Good job, man! It takes alot of b@lls to be a rapper who is willing to come forward and say "Ya know what? This isn't working out for me." Hears hoping you stay clean, buddy. Cheers.

June 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Wiser

It was Activision's party. At least have the courtesy to mention the name of the company that invited you to their party. Rude.

June 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  83. skurious

For anyone saying there are worse addictions and that he probably wasnt close to dying, your wrong. He took methadone, the equivlent of four bags of heroine in a matter of hours. He did go into a coma and awoke in a hospital. why did he do this his best friend from highschool was shot and killed for no apprent reason. listen to his songs they all have a story to tell, you just have to listen to the right songs.

June 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • al

What a fool!!! These selfish people use any excuse to do drugs and blame it on a problem instead of just staying away from the sh_t to begin with...

June 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  84. FlexSF

Lame.

June 15, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Sutter Kane

I cant help but laugh at all the LOSERS on this page wishing death on a man they never met, pathetic, really really pathetic excuses for human beings you are

June 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  86. gee

I'm almost 50, a mother of two and I love his music. I'm proud of the way he handled this. Admitting to yourself that you have a problem is the first step in getting back on the right track. Keep making that awesome music.

June 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • RapIsCrap

I really, truly feel desperately sorry for your children. You should be ashamed of yourself.

June 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Rob

You know, just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean they are hateful. This whole thing was started by Obama supporters who saw a chance to capitalize on an opportunity. They figured if you could associate opposition to Obama's policies with racism, you could simply paint his opponents as racist and move on. This has now gone mainstream in pop culture as well. I don't like or appreciate rap, therefore (as they tell it), I'm racist. Just how silly this is is reflected in the fact that there are many black people who also do not like rap. Who knows, Eminem may be the greatest rapper ever, but I'm not qualified to judge one way or the other because I don't listen to the stuff. At least I am wise enough not to insert myself into a subject I know nothing about.

June 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Mitch

Good for him, I grew up listening to this guy and he always gets me through the bad times, glad to see he overcame his own demons. Hard to be in that kind of world and not get caught up in it, happens to almost all the greats, some are able to pull through in the nick of time, most arent. Cant wait to hear his new album next week

June 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Patty

Cannot stand Eminem. Too bad his destructive ways did not catch up to him before he decided to turn his life around. He is creep and I really do not understand why folks like him. If he were to die tomorrow the world would not miss him of folks like him.

June 15, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • What is your point

Well, if you died tomorrow, no one would care, either. What's your point?

June 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Mark

Unfortunately it was "ALMOST". I've seen interviews with this guy and I can only think of a couple of worse wastes of space! This guy is so hung up on being something he's not(black!)that he can't even do anything USEFUL!

June 15, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  91. SlimWhitman

M & M is second only to me in terms of sheer artistic brilliance IMHO

June 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  92. SANJOSEMIKE

Another non-talented person who creates horrible, detestable sounds and noise, who is also a drugee...what a surprise.

June 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Jackie

Welcome Back Eminem!!! I could not be happier that 'the best' is back and healthy. Awesome!

June 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Nate Dog

Just another loser on drugs. Why don't we celebrate the musicians who have the backbone to not be drug addicts...to not be wifebeaters...to not be a deadbeat dads. Why is this inspirational? It's not. Let's find somone with some integrity...look that word up if you don't know what it means. Marshall is just another in a long line of drug addicts. Another in a long line of losers who overdose...then we all applaud them. LOL. I'll give him 12 months before we read another story about Marshall and his new drug problem. Get some balls and stand up like an man instead of a 10-year old. How would you like to have this loser for a father and role model? No thanks!

June 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Haha seriously? First, i'm not coming from any standpoint here but that of an observer. You are really going to go after this guy? I'm sure you grew up in the same hood, the same situation, being influenced by as bad of an environment as Eminem. Judging is just as bad, be happy there's one more person who's trying to do things correctly. You might want to look in the mirror at your judgmental aspects....

June 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • brianCNN

Of course he was close to death and is now recovering–he's got to sell his new album. Just like when all of the other pop stars have to sell a new album, they do something or say something that will get our attention, especially, if what they put out isn't distinguishable from their previous efforts or from other pop stars. He's just taking a page out of the book of Britney Spears. He's an imitator in the same vein as Vanilla Ice who's getting rich off people who don't know any better. Lock this druggie up in prison.

June 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Connie

I'm appalled at how heartless you are being. You didn't grow up in the same environment as he did, without a father and with a drug addict single mother. It's amazing that he could come from that background and achieve all that he has done today. Empathize a little and quit being so judgmental.

June 15, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate Dog

You act like he is 17 years old. He's frickin' 37 years old. Growing up in that environment is no excuse. Stop making excuses for him being a drug addict and non-role model parent. I accept no excuses. There are too many great people on this planet and we can do without his type.

June 15, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Larry

"I almost died." Too bad. Go back, give it another shot for your fans. Your record sales will increase once you're successful.

June 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Simon

Look- no one is down on the guy for kicking the habit. Better twenty years too late than never. The problem here is that many people suffer this affliction, and many many people need help.

From that perspective it's hard to listen to a little hater whine incessantly about his life and then pay tens of thousands of dollars for 'rehab' which, frankly, is like vacation. Methodone is a hell of cure. . .

Many others suffered far worse and deserve greater respect. Does this fool expect us to believe he never saw Nancy Reagan asking him to 'just say no?" Cliched? Sorry M, a cliche is a spoiled little rich guy gushing about the dangers of drug addiction AFTER he ignored two decades of information created for the sole purpose KEEPING PEOPLE AWAY FROM DRUGS.

Something tells me this guy voted for Obama. Can't see the forest through all the trees and such.

June 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

You really think that Nancy Reagan saying "just say no" on TV really helps people not do drugs? You totally don't understand the whole process of addiction. I know Rush head Nancy's message, and somehow he still got hooked. It takes a lot more than "just say no" to avoid addiction. If you've never been in the position to get addicted, if your brain isn't wired that way, if you haven't stood next to an addict 24/7 helping them cope, you just don't comprehend. You look like an idiot saying that "just say no" should be enough to keep people off drugs. It's like an armchair bully talking tough, but he's never actually been in a fight. It's not as simple as it seems.

I hope that he has a handle on his problems. I hope he can communicate some of that to other people. I hope that just as he communicated his rage and other emotions when he was younger, I hope he can share some of whatever gets him through the day now. You don't like his music. Ok, but many people do, and what he says can influence them, a lot more than Nancy Reagan ever will.

June 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • what???

voted for OBAMA? ok.

June 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  97. tarzan

Rap seems to be nothing more than poorly choreographed cheerleading executed by illiterates in ill-fitting clothing. How can it be considered music? I came from the ghetto/go team go; I can’t speak English/go team go; who we gonna beat/ go team go; I’m not too bright/go team go. Wow, that’s easy; perhaps I can get a contract? Go team Go!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Timmeh

A couple of hours away from death? Wish we could have set the clocks forward then. This guy is a classless little punk. Way overrated.

June 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Yes, and classless people wish death on others they don't even know... oops!

June 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  99. avg823

Eminem's got some great albums, but am I supposed to care that his life is hard? His days of sleeping in a Ford Contour are to far gone for me to buy his pity

June 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

Too bad his days of sleeping in a Ford Contour are too fr gone. If he had stayed in the ghetto where he belongs, he would be dead by now.

June 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Egotripen

I think Em is a very talented artist! Nobody made this man! He did it all on this own! Continue on Em! May you keep the sun shining brightly always! Do not fall back into the darkness! Love for a child is a very strong thing if you feel weak you can always look at your kid and remember she needs you.

June 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Cancon1

Was this guy the real slim shady?

June 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Jam

ya it must be tough to be rich and your job is to rap!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  103. tonyg1

Too bad he didn't become room temperature the useless piece of crap that he is.

June 15, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Kris

Maybe Eminem will act a little more humble and grown up.. most of his music is just poking fun at people and being immature. This guy was complete white trash growing up and he is still completely void of any class. Eminem is also not original, and trying to be something he's not-black. And the dispute between him and Mariah Carey was soooo drawn out and ridiculous-get over it-Mariah needs to also.

June 15, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • No Name

Why does everyone say he is trying to be black? Stereotypes do a lot in this world and never something positive. Eminem was brought up around black people in Detroit. He knows he is white and is doing what he enjoys. You do not have to be black to enjoy rap and hip hop but because of stereotypes people believe that any white person is trying to act black. With this logic is President Obama trying to act white by becoming the first black president? Are all black business men trying to act white because they are supposed to be degenerates and commit crimes? Get off that high horse and realize people from all races have common interests and it is not a matter of trying to act like another race.

June 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • brianCNN

This guy is just a pre-packaged pop star–a total phony. These little spats that he has with other pop stars are just like the verbal assaults you see on Pro Wrestling to hype up the pay-per-view events. Just like that other phony Fred Durst. They're both working off scripts. I think his got the same writer as Britney Spears.

June 15, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Simon

Somebody mentioned the KLAN! Little tip for all you: HISTORICAL FACT- Did you know that democrats started the KU KLUX KLAN to hunt and kill REPUBLICAN civil rights activists? DID YOU KNOW: Every democrat in office voted against the emancipation proclamation (that republicans passed) and every democrat in office voted AGAINST the 14th amendment? Did you know that republicans integrated pro sports (Jackie Robinson was a REPUBLICAN) and republican women started the NAACP? Did you know that democrats fought women's right to vote for twenty years? Every suffragist, including Susan B Anthony, Lucretia Mott, Elizabeth Cady Stanton were republicans?

Rap may not be rascist- but it IS mysogynistic, hateful, violent and worships ONLY at the altar of greed and avarice. To paint those who don't appreciate little kids spouting rhymes along with someone's stolen music as rascist proves that many of the people who are quick to shout RASCIST are the very ones who don't understand what TRUE racism really is.

June 15, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flip

And did you know that through history democrats and republicans flipped? Democrats used to be the conservative party and republicans the liberal, but what bearing does all that have today when it is the other way around?

June 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Austyn

Wow. Obviously, most of you commenting on this have never known or been related to someone who has had a drug/ alcohol problem. It takes alot to get through it, and great for him that he did it. I'm proud of him as a person. I'm not the biggest fan of his music, but he had a big accomplishment here, and you people don't seem to realize that. Good for him! I hope for his sake and his daughter's sake, he stays clean.

June 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Jeff

White people do not listen to hip-hop, didn't you get the memo at the last klan rally? Pay attention during those klan rallies! They are there to protect you from the evil minorities.......

What the F is wrong with you people? Often the one's who claim racism are the most racist themselves. Can't everyone hate equally?

June 15, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Grow up. I listen to all sorts of music ranging from foriegn music to rock to pop to hip hop to country and everything in between. And i'm white. And I bet you're either hispanic or African American? Always with the race card (not saying white people don't use it too. Just not as frequently as hispanics and African Americans as we tend to get laughed at when we actually do use it).

June 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Coindog

ya i bet cage has put out better music lmao. I'm sure 8 mile was about cage as well. And im sure cage has more money than him too.... oh ya who the hell is cage again?

June 15, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  109. JDawg1

What about Vanilla Ice, the Godfather of white, hippity-hop music?? Eminem needs to give the Iceman his "props". "Word to your moms".

June 15, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  110. Kevin

Promoting himself and how awesome he is? WOW clearly another lost person who has never listened to an eminem cd. Most of his raps are borderline self-loathing.

June 15, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  111. Me

It's quite silly to assume somebody is racist if they don't like rap music just as it's stupid to assume somebody is racist if they don't like President Obama(I am an Obama supporter). You don't NEED to be a racist to not like something. Everybody has their own tastes, likes and dislikes, and rap music gives you enough reasons to dislike it before race is even considered.

Personally, I don't like most rap. Most of what I hear, and it is admittedly the trash they play on the top 40 radio stations, is about hyping yourself up or how awesome you are or that party you went to where all the women loved you or how men can't resist you. The majority of it that I hear is so self-aggrandizing that it's hard to take it seriously as an art form. I liken it to standing on the side of the road with a sign that says "I'm awesome because I say I am!". A well written rap song is enjoyable because it requires the lyrics to be part of the rhythm, and that's not always easy unless you're rapping with no music. For example, I really enjoy Jurassic 5. They're music isn't the stereotypical vanity rap you hear on the radio and it's not the gangster rap that sings about how awesome it is to be violent and macho. I realize some of these rappers grew up in tough neighborhoods but growing up and writing songs glorifying it is not the right way to make a difference.

I'd say about 90% of the rap I hear I do not like, mostly for the reasons stated above. I also freely admit that I do not hear much rap outside of mainstream radio and I'm not making any judgments about rap I haven't heard. Eminem definitely had a knack for writing catchy lyrics but it's his persona and the image he tries to cultivate that completely turns me off. Most of his music is the same as the next guy's, promoting themselves and how awesome they are, and catchy lyrics don't make up for that.

I'm not foolish enough to believe that all rap has to be self-aggrandizing to be good, but that seems to be the formula for the mainstream rappers(most of them).

June 15, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  112. Kevin

I love when the high and mighty people come out and start teaching people punctuation. Is this English? He forgot an apostrophe, he didn't misspell a word. Get off your high horse.

June 15, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • zippo

Punctuation infatuation....gotta write that down someday...If I get off my high horse,I'll walk through some low growin' weed.Yeah, gotta write that down ,too.

June 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Adren

100 years from now and probably sooner every who is reading this will be dead. Enjoy yourself.

June 15, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  114. debbie

Why do so many cnn comments slam a cnn story as not being newsworthy? It's so ridiculous. If you're compentent enough to figure out all the technology that it takes to leave a comment (that would be sarcasm at it's best), perhaps you could be competent enough to read the headline. Here's another newsflash for the idiots: Nobody is required to read every story that cnn posts.
    As for eminem, I think partly he's being overly dramatic about his death being hours away, and I think that maybe there are others out there with a more severe addiction. But he did have an addiction and thank goodness he realized it before he was completely out and that's all that this article is about. His lyrics have always been righteously awesome and I don't expect that to change in the future. For those who have never bothered to learn his lyrics – you should try it before you criticize. Because anybody that states that he is not a prolific artist in his genre, obviously has no training or knowledge of music and has certainly never listened close enough to any of his.
    Keep up the good work Eminem!

June 15, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • yourstruely

yea, no one is required, and most people don't....but when they do...it always does feel good to SLAM the idiot, now doesn't it?

I mean, when cnn is going down in flames, like it is now, for its irreverent display of ideology that no one agrees with, and its desire to trick you in thinking more people think like them (..sorry, dude, we're just not buying it)....It feels ..oh, so warm inside. I can't really tell you how it feels...most peopel don't care, the ygo see the animal planet even most analyze it the way I just did....but, on your spare time while doing your chores? hahaha, its always nice to rail against a totally irrelevent news network :)

sugar please.

June 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • yoclappy

rap has been and always will be...the realm of nappy headed hoes.

rap is a plantation...blacks are owned by the plantation called the record companies, who then promote them and tell them to give them their money in turn....their rich, but their a slave, if they don't perform, their lavish lifestyle forces them to in order to make up for the bills...even though thir rich, make no mistake about it......

ive liked rap, tapping that a– on the dance floor, but when it comes to actually analyzing these people....

I REALLY have better things to do....see you later. . .

June 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • yoclappy

eminmen has some talent when it comes to rap...but do I care what he does in his private life with drugs? do I REALLY CARE about his psychology? as far as im concerned, the guy could be a holographic simulation....

He's got talent, but I could care less about his psychological problems and I am not emotionally invested enough to be 'proud' as some person here said, about him getting off drugs.

Im proud of anyone that gets off drugs, but eminem and the whole drama, and story, and psychology of how he 'was hours away from death' oh my? naw, thats for old ladies in the tabloids.

June 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  115. BEK

Ah, "Hello" – That should be "morons", not "moron's". If you're going to make remarks about other people's stupidity, at least do it with proper spelling and punctuation.

June 15, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  116. Velexxie

I think it is absolutly AMAZING! what this man has accomplished. He has come from some of the darkest places all through his life and come out on top. He is the poster child for you can do anything you set your miind too. I have the upmost respect for this man. You have done a great job EM keep up the good work!

June 15, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  117. Kevin

Wow, you are so dumb. You've never listened to his music I'm betting. He's aware he's white and raps about being a wigger you ignorant heathen. Listen to something else besides "The Real Slim Shady."

June 15, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  118. jona

Hey eminem.. I do NOT feel sorry for you .. You're a nimwit. The world would have gone on just fine.

June 15, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • lol

I'm pretty sure the world would function just fine without you, too. Don't put yourself out there with that comment... you're just asking for it.

June 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Tim

Marshall, you're a loser. Quit imitating the blacks and look in the mirror. You're WHITE.

June 15, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  120. Tim

P.S.
    I hope sooner or later all rappers and crappy hip hoppers get shot. Useless, violent and abusive lyrics do NOTHING to benefit ANY race.
    RIP dushebags.

June 15, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

You are saying he is violent, and you hope he gets shot. You see the problem there? You can't complain about his violence, and then participate in it yourself.

June 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  121. HEC g

I think is great that you have got the nerve to admit that you need help

June 15, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  122. Adam7

You're all abuncha' know-nothings. Every artist will have 1 or more artists that sound familiar. This isn't about some underground rapper who is too deep in his personal problems to make it big. This is about someone who has already made it big with a personal problem, that he is handling with an iron clad grip. Big ups to Eminem man, welcome back.

June 15, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  123. whocares

who cares? too bad he didn't die, what a loser!

June 15, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  124. Glubber

Who is thie enema guy? Is it suppository like? Does he eat a lot of roughage? Are his fans also fans of enemas? Cause listening to rap makes me want to use one! Rap is CRAP, Hip-Hop must Stop! A wasted generation.....

June 15, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  125. Angel

Too bad the Enema-guy survived his recent drug experience. He's still the most self-absorbed arrogant dude he was when I first met him. Maybe next time the outcome will be different.

June 15, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  126. Kory

He should be VERY proud of himself! he is a strong person and a definite survivor! I completely enjoy his music.

June 15, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • artbyskyM

I for one, am glad he got help and didn't die. This guy's been through enough from his childhood to adulthood. I hope he's enjoying life more now that he's free from the evils of his addiction. Regardless of whether you're a fan of his music or not, he's still a human and deserves to be respected for his strength in overcoming something so difficult. Proud of you Em! I'm a mother of 5 and yes I've listened to his music through my kids (who are now grown) If you didn't do this for yourself, you did it for Haley and I think that's fabulous. Hang tough!

June 16, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  127. Tim

He should have. I just hate white guys who act black. All the blacks in this country, crying about how the whites have such an advantage, and this wannabe pulls his pants down, grabs his junk, turns his hat sideways and does all those stupids sideways hand motions, doesn't he know what a retard he looks like? And he had a WIFE? What was she, STUPIT? Ooops, sorry. That was my ebonics imitation. Loser. Try again, maybe you'll get it right next time.

June 15, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

And I bet your white and secretly tries to be black yourself. The main reason why they do that is so they can get into black's good graces and thus won't be shot in the back. (Mind you this is in the slums).

June 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

So, he should act "white"? I didn't know people had to "act" a certain way. Last I checked, it was a free country and as long as you don't commit a crime, you can do whatever the hell you want. I don't think this is an all-or-none country. You don't have to act either white or black. You can take bits of different culture that you like and incorporate it into your lifestyle.

June 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Jesus Freak

Look unto the God who made you! There is only ONE life. You WILL die! The question is... where do you go next?????

Father God, I just pray for Eminem. You are faithful Lord to reveal Yourself to those who ask. I pray that all those who read this, will begin to seek for the Truth. In these last days Father, make Yourself real to those that are lost. In Jesus Christ's amazing & glorious name. Amen.

June 15, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Lady Hiroko

.........and this is why people hate us and refuses to listen to us........

June 15, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • jaime from charlotte, nc

not being sarcastic here - are you serious about that prayer? are you a christian or are you just being funny? either way, its not wise to do that. if you are a christian, then acting like a weirdo doesn't help out the cause. it only turns away people from religion. if you are joking, well that is a bad joke cause its not funny. as a christian, i don't shout out my prayers (biblical teaching) – i live a live worthy of a disciple and hope to win as many as possible (biblical teaching).

June 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Pray for yourself first.

June 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Breck T. Bunce

Some people say i look like Eminem but i still can't get laid.
    I have nothing else to post since i'm a loser and spend too much time inside.

June 15, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • JDBLA

"Some people say i look like Eminem but i still can't get laid'
      I find that hard to believe.

June 15, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  130. chris

http://www.DeruloDaily.com JASON DERULO 1ST FANSITE

June 15, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  131. ImNoExpert

At least he's better than the Jonas Brothers.

June 15, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • MnMWHO?

or Miley Cyrus...or Billy Ray Cyrus...or Justin Bieber...Dang! He's good!

June 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  132. ballz

Dear vanilla ice....err...i mean eminem – maybe its time to grow up and get a real job

June 15, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  133. haha

Well it's a pity you didn't die. Sooo sick of you and your fans.

June 15, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  134. Mark C

This rich, famous white boy still thinks he lives in some tough "hip hop world?" Hilarious.

June 15, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • jaime from charlotte, nc

what about the rich, black boys that are part of the hip hop world? are they a joke to? or is the only important word "white?" -

June 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • URMotha

Mark C – jealous much?

June 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  135. WhoCares

No one cares, just die already.

June 15, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  136. sparky

ummmmmmm.......someone should have turned the clock ahead

June 15, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Dog Pound

... and someone should bring you back into the pound... you're wandering around without a leash.

June 15, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Kyle

Eminem "I almost died"..... Too bad you didn't.

June 15, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  138. Ballz

he OD'd? What, did he finally hear his own music and decide to punish himself? I wonder if there will be any words that resemble english in his new release. yeaaahhhh yeaaaahhhh boyyyyyyy /barf

June 15, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • jasion0012

go read any of eminem's lyrics and then talk, for now u don't have an opinion

June 15, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • ballz

I dont care if his "words" included the cure to some strange disease. He's a waste. Ive heard enough of his crap to see thru his whole "image" Poor white guy singing the blues. When you move out of your parents basement and act like an adult you'll understand.

June 15, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Noah

You are such an ignorant hater. Eminem makes more $$$ in a month than you will in your lifetime. He is a poet and one of the most influencial hip hop artists of all time. Anyone who can't appeciate that just isn't listening to him with an open mind.

June 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

I'm pretty sure that Eminem doesn't care what you have to say, so he won't be upset if you don't listen to his lyrics. The point of his music is to find someone that can relate to it. You don't have to like every song. You don't have to like any song. But, he's done pretty well for himself financially, so there are obviously a lot of people who find his work meaningful.

June 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • ballz

I agree that a musicians product is meant to move folks.
      And as far as him making more money than me...well Im halfway to my retirement at age 41, from which I will receive benefits and a pension and will NOT OD like some dopey white boy who wants to walk the other side ... whereas it seems like he will either inhale, drink, or pop pills until his cash is depleted and he will "struggle" with another release of his "talent". It might just be time for him to man-up and get a job cleaning tables like he was meant to do...just like you noah

June 15, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

And I thought the older generation of people were smarter and more mature than this. 41 and making such comments? For shame... not my place to judge, but I just can't help but notice your stupidity... might want to reconsider your commenting.

I assume you know a lot about waiting tables since you are suggesting this job to others as if you know them well enough. How about you grow up, state your true age (14, not 41), and then learn to respect other people's opinions. Okay, so fine, you don't OD, good for you. Neither do I, but that doesn't mean I am going to consider myself high and mighty and better than Eminem because I don't do drugs. He is more successful in terms of selling records, and I am more successful in what I do (consultant). To each his own.

You obviously care way too much about this celebrity to be openly commenting like this. If you hate him so much, why are you here? To point out his flaws? It just makes you look pitiful and bitter.

June 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Shamrock6

I'm still amazed that people care about celebrities and their problems. He's just a guy who took too many pills...period. No big deal. He's no different than anyone else who takes too many pills...except that he makes music. So what. Fame is an amazing thing. I would love to have the money but definitley wouldn't want the notoriety.

June 15, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • jasion0012

open your mind a bit,,,, how many fans does this guy have?, how many people listen to his music? how many teenagers listen to his music and try to act like him? now do u understand the role of celebrities,,, he made an album called recovery talking about him self recovering from drugs and about his experience with inspirational songs that like "Not Afraid", he is spreading a message to kids which is dont do drugs and trust me it works when says it more than when Obama says it

June 15, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  140. DevilDog1033

This guy's new album is definitely going to be labeled as one of the best in 2010 (hopefully along with Outkast's when they release). I always thought the Slim Shady LP was the best album he ever put out but Recovery is classic Em minus the craziness. Solid 5/5

June 15, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  141. Matt

"Lose Yourself" is still the greatest rap song of all time.

June 15, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • mack

I agree 100%. that song is my favorite song. i remember when that song came out so many people loved that song, who didnt even like eminem. that one song made me an eminem fan.

June 15, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  142. scott

It goes to show how pathetic our population has become when they look to this guy for guidance and enlightenment.. Watch the opening of Idiocracy and you'll understand America perfectly.

June 15, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • BIGUP

the day you have 1% of his success in your life, is the day i will listen to your opinion.

June 15, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • hisho

ok smart guy,,,,, keep watching comedy movies

June 15, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • ballz

1% of his success? Actually i think most normal folks are more successful than he is. For example....I didnt OD today

June 15, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Everyone carries around a different defintion of success. Ballz, your comment was quite useless. You might not have ODed on something, but it doesn't make you less of a person if you did. Just becuase you "didn't do wrong" which I highly doubt, you

June 15, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • part 2

aren't better than someone else.

June 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Who cares about this POS. What a waste of human DNA.

June 15, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  143. patden

Really glad to see him take the right road ! Those that make it to maturity will take their lives in the right direction for them. He had a lot of baggage and a lot of heartache with his ex-wife. Good Luck M

June 15, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  144. Rob

Yeah, in the hip-hop world that I live in... what a joke.

June 15, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  145. Tia C

LOL, Eminem is HARDLY a "lyrical genius." The bar for "genius" would have to be set pretty low for that to be true. He's been out of the scene for sooooo long that he's not even relevant anymore. I used to really like his music, but his last CD sucked so bad I couldn't toss it out my window fast enough. And I'm not optimistic about this new one at all.

June 15, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • rayo

yeah, i agree, his last album was rubbish, it was just the highest selling rap album of the year and won a 2 grammys, and his i agree that he is irrelevant too, as his new single "not afraid" debut at #1 in billiboard to make charts history !!!

June 15, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • nick25

Best selling artist of the decade. Enough said.

June 15, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • ballz

best seller of the decade? Small rewards for such a pi$$ poor time of music such as now.

June 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • mack

eminem know relapse album was not good, and he admitted that. listen to this album recovery is completely different.

June 15, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Todd

Who is "Eminem"? I've never heard of the guy. He looks too old to have been on a 80s sitcom, but his belief that being a drug addict, abusing women, etc etc etc make him somehow important make me think that's what must have made him famous...a very, very, very long time ago.

June 15, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Answer

Eminem was the best selling musical artist of the previous decade. FYI. So he didn't come out of nowhere recently. Maybe you've been living under a rock? Or maybe you're a little kid.

June 15, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ballz

Even if you were under a rock, you didnt miss anything, dont worry

June 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Sarcasm doesn't fit you, Todd... and if you really didn't know who he was then you must not get out of the house often. You don't even need to know what genre of music he is a part of to know who he is... you don't need a TV... just walk around outside. Billboards, posters, etc.

June 15, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Blair

The thing to realize is that admitting you have a problem isn't weakness. Just the opposite. It takes an incredible amount of self strength to realize and admit you have a problem. To have the courage to admit it and seek help to over come an addiction is huge. Especially if he succeeds, he will come out an even stronger person.

June 15, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  148. Dragun

There are those who have a dependant type personallity that can become and almost always is leathal when mixed with hard core drug use, and then there are those who don't have it, have tried many types of stimulants legal and not, and did not get addicted. I have lost familly to drugs and i would not wish that on any person, the first thing you have to do is admit you have a problem, had to dayum near beat that fact into my brothers head before he lost everything. I wish Em the best, he is very tallented, and hi lyrics vulger or not do always have a tail to tell if you listen. I hope he builds a good support network arround him because trust me, he will need it at some point. Keep them records spinnin Em!!

June 15, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  149. Andy

I listen to his music every morning driving to work. It never leaves my CD Player.
    When i listen to his music, someway, some how, i look at things i am doing and have done and make them better.
    The song "Rock bottom" i listened to several times when i was going though a tough time. It helped me cope and realize there are people going though the same things that i was going though at that time, mentally. Thank you Eminem for keeping me going.

June 15, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  150. Moe Smith

"Almost" only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

Either do it right or SHUT UP. Because all you are doing otherwise is whining and saying "Look at me look at me! i need attention. look at me."

Freaking waste of human flesh...

June 15, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  151. Surf_Dog

I have a hearing impairment, so it is difficult to follow some singers. That aside, what I could catch from his latest "I'm not afarid" I can certainly hear the maturity in himself and in his craft as an artist.

Life is a journey, as an artist he has the opportunity to share that experience through art and or music. Thats what artists do.

Some artists never grow up. It seems though that Mr. Mathers has begun that process. Good for him! :) Keep at it!

June 15, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

Em is 38 years old, so the maturity is starting to show. BTW, my grandmother is 60 years old and she loves his music!

June 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

I guess Granny is senile. No one with a brain in their heads would find this clown talented.

June 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Patty, learn to respect other people's opinions. Go back to listening to Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus, please. Don't even talk about your comment being an opinion; it's clearly a direct insult towards someone else for their opinion.

June 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  152. yoda

Good on him for getting help. To interesting: Remember that time you clicked on this story to read it? If you're looking for life changing info on CNN then you need help, too.

June 15, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • dan

The guy is talented. Thats it. And for anyone on here thats likes him, I have a fun game for you. Go back and look at the posts that complain about his lyrics, vulgarity and that he is too pop.....Typos all over the place. I think its funny that people will criticize a persons lyrical work, but they can't type a coherent sentence.

July 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

For instance who says "Good on him" ????? Just asking.

July 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  153. WRONG DUMMIES!!

RAKIM is the GREATEST RAPPER OF ALL TIME.

June 15, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  154. Interesting

Thanks for this important news CNN. I think my life has changed forever because this millionaire drug addict is getting some help.

June 15, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • lol

People like you need to stay out of the "Marquee Blogs" if you are "looking for important news." Just a thought.

Just because it might be on the front page randomly doesn't mean you have to click on it and validate yourself through the comment box on this article. If it isn't news to you, why are you reading it?

June 15, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Terri

Yeh! Stupid people need to have something to read too!

June 15, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • kevin

wow at your ignorance, Eminem is one of the most popular artists (especially for teenagers) who had recovered from drugs and being doing music about it and talking about it in interviews,,,,, I'm not a fan of him, but i know he does inspire a lot of people and a lot of kids listen to him, his message is very important and more news like this should be published,,,, i can see your jealousy and hate towards a guy, u should open ur mind

June 15, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • GI Bubba

It's always amazing to me that someone will take the time to read a headline, click on a link, read an entire article, then complain for someone else wasting their time. If you weren't interested, you wouldn't have read it! STFU!

June 15, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • PW

This is not news.

June 15, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • DegenDemon

heh, couldnt agree more. That was a close one

June 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Honestly. You can't look for help with addiction in the hip-hop industry because it'll make you look weak... So in other words we can look forward to all hip-hop "artists" eventually dying at their own hand from overdoses? Sounds like a plan.

June 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • *star*

Idiot

June 16, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  155. lvpetsitter

I've been and always will be a fan of Eminem. He is a lyrical genus. As long as Eminem surrounds himself with those who love and care about his well being, he will stay on the clean path. Kevin Garnett is a great example. Wish you well Em.

June 15, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  156. Richard

Good Luck to You! Keep it Simple, you be ok :)

June 15, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  157. Greg

So are we seeing the climax of his inevitable biopic? It seems to follow the formula of movies about musicians...

June 15, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  158. flycessnas

I've never been a fan of Eminem's, but now I'm looking forward to seeing if there will be any major changes to his lyrics now that he's gone through this time. He has the potential to send a message of encouragement to millions of fans through his lyrics if he chooses to.

June 15, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  159. Showtime

His lyrics aren't the most encouraging...? Are you serious, this man is the most talented lyricist ever make rap music. This whole album tells a story each and every song, and millions of people can relate to it. Funny how people listen to a song and only catch the cuss words instead of the real message.

June 15, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr Beebe

To the guy above me here ^^
      People have the right to their opinion. To make a statement about Klan meetings because someone doesn't like rap is rather shallow. I agree with the guy to a certain extent. The mainstream variety of rap we have today is utter garbage. But the mainstream variety of any genre is garbage. Music is produced today for the reason of a quick buck off the current fads. I do have more respect for people like Eminem because he actually uses his music in the sense that I feel music should be. It may not be the most pleasant to my ears but I can respect him.

Disagree with people all you want, but respect their opinion.

June 15, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • MrThou

@Showtime: Don't get your britches tied up in a knot just because someone doesn't have the same taste as you. Remember the adage: To each, his own?

June 15, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

He is not in the same class as Rakim, Chuck D or Kamanchi Sly from Hijack.... (and please don't get upset because I typed the word Hijack folks lol Hijack have nothing to do with terrorism. they were a UK hip hop crew in the 90's....relax)

June 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gretchen

fr Showtime:

>...Are you serious, this man is the most talented lyricist ever make rap music. This whole album tells a story each and every song, and millions of people can relate to it. ...<

rap "music" is NOT music. It's just filthy noise, and little marshall mathers is among the worst. He has NO talent whatsoever, you can barely understand what he's blabbering about, and the words you can understand are filth.

June 15, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Do not get me wrong, but I like his music and think some of his lyrics are deep. However, you will have a decent sized group of people who pay more attention to his tracks where he insults others... that's what I mean. Like others here have said, don't get all worked up because someone else's views/opinions do not line up with yours.

June 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Dangerously

LOL So... Perhaps you would care to explain the deep meaning of "My Name Is" or "The Real Slim Shady"?

June 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • boths

Eminem is nothing more than a popstar, candy-rapper joke. Nothing but a marketing ploy. He's not a true hip-hop artist. Awho says Em is a hip-hop artist doesn't know what they're talking about. There is a huge difference between true hip-hop and marketing candy rappers who sniff too much coke, cry about their moms and sing about their bum's on moose's. Sure, maybe he has a couple of songs with meening, but you don't ever hear those blaring on the radio's of American teenagers...

Listen to real hip-hop like: Immortal Technique, Nas, Wu-Tang, Rakim, Sean Price, etc.

June 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • figures

Johnny Dangerously, figures you would pick some of the least relevant songs of his collection. How about the track on 8 mile?

June 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • CaRRell

one of the best,at least had his time but noone stays on top forever.

June 16, 2010 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Some people say that Eminem is the Bob Dylan of this generation, because he is such an amazing lyricist. Sure, not all of his songs have deep meaning, and maybe his voice isn't the nicest either, and sure, rap isn't everyone's favourite genre, but Eminem's lyrics are (most of the time) very deep. Not only can he come out with a song that can really touch a person, but sometimes he can also be somewhat amusing in them.
      And for those saying that he's just a little thug and all, whining about his mom, you gotta consider the way he was raised. Rap is how he climbed out of the whole the world had put him in, and he's still slipping back in.

June 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  160. let's be real

Talented or not, let's just say he's doing the right thing. Getting help for his addictions and realizing he needs to make a change is definitely a step in the right direction. It's a shame other people don't follow such a good example. So his lyrics may not be the most encouraging... or pleasant... but he's only human.

I love how they mentioned Lindsay Lohan, haha...

That's just my two cents.

June 15, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • huss

Cage lol.. "I bought a Cage tape, opened it, and dubbed over it".. Cage is wack!

June 15, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • DJHood32

Hello, are you serious?? CAGE!?! Really? Ha! That is funny! Maybe you should listen to rock and roll or pop music or something.....because you obviously don't have an ear for rap!! What a tool!

June 15, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Cage is oone of my favorites right now. His latest album outshines anything Eminem has put out in the last 5 years.

June 15, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • tomcat

Eminem, why don't denounce the racist drug war in a PSA?

June 15, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • JTMoney

Regardless of what you think about him...there are only a few other rappers who have had as much influence/impact on pop culture/music than Eminem. For the record you cannot even compare Cage to Em...not even close. Just like DJHood32 says you have no ear. Your listening but you still cant hear.

June 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • boths

The old Cage was good (Movies) but Cage isn't even hip-hop anymore. He's more indy-pop than anything. He looks like an emo kid. And as far as Eminem goes – he's a popstar more than anything too. He's a candy rapper. He's a joke, he's not a true hip-hop artist. Nothing but a marketing ploy. Cage is more of an 'artist' but he is not a true hip-hop artist anymore. And anyone who says Em is a hip-hop artist doesn't know what they're talking about. There is a huge difference between true hip-hop and marketing candy rappers who sniff too much coke, cry about their moms and sing about their bum's on moose's.

Listen to real hip-hop like: Immortal Technique, Nas, Wu-Tang.

June 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackball

This guy makes me want to puke. I did like it when he had Bruno put his crotch in his face at the MTV awards though. That was funny.

June 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • ScottFree

talented or not... Yes the first words in your sentence address the true issue. No talent wanna be thug who could never make it around real thugs because he would quickly be made someones play toy.

This waste of human skin really should have done us all a favor and just given in. I cant help but laugh at the mention of the "trials" that Mr Mathers has had to suffer through. If im not careful, i just may shed a tear, or have a bowel movement, im not sure which though

June 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmFan

The lyrics on his new album are MOST encouraging actually! Go listen to it and then maybe you can correct your own statement... http://www.jushustle.com/blog/2010/06/eminem-recovery-leak/

June 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ornellyta2211

I in a shock,I sit here and I don't know anything

June 16, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |