June 14th, 2010

Old Spice guy lands deal with NBC

You're used to seeing Isaiah Mustafa on a horse, but the next time you look up he’ll likely be on NBC.

Mustafa, who’s become known as the "Old Spice guy" thanks to his hilarious commercial, has signed a talent deal with NBC, meaning he could soon end up on one of the network's shows, Variety reports.

NBC’s casting executive vice president Grace Wu said the network "felt he was a piece of talent worth developing...He's an attractive guy who's just as funny and charming."

Playing the part of “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” in the men’s body wash commercial “even got him a spot on Oprah,” Wu pointed out. "He made such an impression in such a short spot."

Mustafa, whose previous credits include “Ugly Betty,” “NCIS” and “Castle,” will be geared towards sitcoms because of the comedic chops he showed off in his Old Spice spot.

The actor said NBC’s way with humor was the reason he chose to sign on with the Peacock network instead of others he'd met with. “I grew up in that 'Cosby Show,' 'Family Ties' era, and kept that going even through college with 'Seinfeld' and 'Friends,' " he said. "To me, they controlled comedy and dictated my life on Thursday nights. And I think that's my strength, doing comedy."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. seo linkslist

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue together with your web site in internet explorer, could check this? IE still is the marketplace leader and a huge component of other folks will pass over your magnificent writing because of this problem.

September 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. don't click here

Hi my loved one! I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and come with almost all significant infos. I would like to peer more posts like this .

September 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MDB

@ jjC: Here is the entire Merriam-Webster entry for jealous. Way to select only the definitions you want.

Main Entry: jeal·ous
    Pronunciation: \ˈje-ləs\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English jelous, from Anglo-French gelus, from Vulgar Latin *zelosus, from Late Latin zelus zeal — more at zeal
    Date: 13th century
    1 a : intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness b : disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness
    2 : hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage
    3 : vigilant in guarding a possession

More than one definition. Fail.

July 18, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jimmy Jak Trash

If a fat sack of garbage like Khloe Kardashian can get TV time then why not Isiah?

June 14, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LgMcB

I love that commercial! Most of them annoy the heck out of me... but this one makes me giggle. "I'm on a horse."

June 14, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tk

Good for him, i hope he succeeds.

June 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DB

Hey the guy used to play for Seattle Seahawks, his 15 min. of fame started years ago.

June 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. KT

Lots of celebs have started off with commercials or bit parts. Good luck to Isaiah.

June 14, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. M

I love this guy he is very attractive!!!!

June 14, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TD

Hope it goes better than the 'Caveman's' ride from commercial to programming.

June 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. phantom

For your enjoyment, you can watch it here. I like it so much it's one of my favorites on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

June 14, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NyteShayde

Excellent. I love that commercial. One of the funniest 30 seconds ever. Right up there with the e-trade baby and the Snickers commercials. Betty White was awesome. For those who missed it, search on YouTube for Snickers Divas as well. Absolutely classic.

June 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sharky

I'm on a horse.

June 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tracey

I am so happy for him! A talented African-American man getting a 'break' – GOOD FOR YOU!
    I am an actress and hope to one day land a great break like that – CONGRATS!

June 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. watts

He would be a great Bachelor

June 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ADbntly

Lots of actors do commercial. He was a guest star on several TV show prior that commercial.
    Remember Courtney Cox, She was in "Dancing in the dark" video before 'Friends"
    and she also did lots of commercial before that too.
    Hey, you gotta pay your bills right?
    Wish him the best of luck.

June 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Fred

I think it's great that transgenders are finally being recognized as being more than just freaks.

June 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Barb H

I love this guy...I crack up everytime I see those commercials. I think he will do great...good luck.

June 14, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CAlline

Yay!! I love him, he's so handsome! My husband always tells me when that commercial is on, and he says he's never seen me run so fast!! LOL He will be great!!

June 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Carolyn

CONGRATULATIONS! And best of luck and good wishes to you!!

June 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. David B.

I think he has a good career ahead of him. And NBC was right to snap him up.

June 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ponter B

The first time I saw that commercial, I said that guy should have his own series. Good for him. Now hopefully NBC can buck their latest trend and actually give him something worthwhile to star in.

June 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Greg

I'm on a horse!

My wife and I love those commercials!

June 14, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  24. Big B

Cancelled in 3...2...1...

June 14, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  25. LBW

He's hot! I think this is great and he will do well. "Back to me"! gets me every time.

June 14, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  26. nice

good luck! not many people get the opportunity, so make the best of it.

June 14, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  27. Guess what?

That's 15 minutes you'll never have...

June 14, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  28. Ballz

Enjoy your 15 minutes...

June 14, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • jp

Jealous?? Thats 15 more than you!

June 14, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Mook

Your just jealous because a black man is doing something you never will. Ha!

June 14, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • jjC

@ JP & Mook: I think you mean envious. Jealous means you want to guard something you have, like a secret. Envious means you desire something that someone else has but you do not.

June 14, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

Ah geez, Mook. You had to draw the race card, seriously??

jjc: It's nice to see people who still think words actually mean something. Excellent catch.

June 14, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

@jjx and NyteShayde: Before you correct someone, make sure you're right. The definition of jealous is "feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages."

June 15, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • jjC

@Lisa: You gave the definition of envy, less the word 'rivalry'. Perhaps you're using an inferior dictionary like Collins, which tends to legitimize the errors that creep into everyday speech... or even worse, some web-only based junk like InfoPlease or freedictionary.

Envy
      Oxford Engish Dictionary: To feel displeasure & ill-will at the superiority of another person in happiness, success, reputation, or the possession of anything desirable.
      Merriam-Webster: Painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage

Jealousy
      Oxford Engish Dictionary: Solicitude or anxiety for the preservation or well-being of something; vigilance in guarding a possession from loss or damage
      Merriam-Webster: Intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness; vigilant in guarding a possession

June 15, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |