June 14th, 2010

Eva Mendes: For my art, I'll do almost anything

If there’s a downside to being known as one of the hottest women in Hollywood, it’s that your humor gets overlooked, Eva Mendes told W magazine in an interview.

“It’s very hard for me to be seen as funny, and the truth is, that’s where I’m most comfortable,” the 35-year-old actress said. “These are the two comments I get from people when they meet me… ‘You seem a lot taller on film,’ and ‘You’re funny.’ If people hang out with me, they see I’m a ham.”

But script selection is no joke to Mendes. Because she’s cast for her looks as much as her talent, she said she’s grown increasingly picky, choosing vehicles that will help her “stretch” as an actress.

“I know I walk a fine line between being a respected actor and being what they call a sex symbol,” Mendes said. “It’s a hard one to walk if you want to be known as a real, credible actor. But I’ve never felt objectified. Nothing you see me do is an accident. I might act like it’s an accident, but the opposite is true. I’m incredibly calculated when it comes to my career.”

And if those roles happen to include nudity – as did 2001’s “Training Day” with Denzel Washington – so be it.

“I’ve never had a problem with nudity, but I don’t put it out there without a reason. I’m not an exhibitionist. But, honestly, for my art I’ll do anything almost," she said. "I’ll go there.”

Yet, 12 years and 24 films later, Mendes is still searching for that movie that will secure her at the top of the A-list. Does she think her choices have been limited because of her ethnicity? Perhaps, she told the fashion magazine, but she chooses not to focus on that.

“I don’t consider myself a Latin American actress. I was born and raised here, and I have Cuban parents, but for me, I am the new American girl," Mendes said. "It’s not only Drew Barrymore and the blond Mid-western girl. This, [pointing to her face] is also what we look like now.”

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Sona

Eva,

I want to show you my I am My Art. I think you would really love it. Contact me. ;)

Ciao –

$*N@ ~

July 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joe

She makes me twitch

June 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jennifer

I think Eva is the new version of Raquel Welch...
    If you look at photos of Raquel Welch when she was young, there are many physical similarities.
    It's unbelievable! They are both gorgeous!

June 15, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ernie

Eva if you could sing, dance, and act then you would be the complete actor, but at 35 your passed being a hottie. In Hollywood you are considered to old you still may have great looks but you wouldn't get the great rolls all the younger actors are getting. You have no academy awards to your name so all the good movie rolls will not come your way. You are going to have to do almost anything to get great movie rolls.

June 15, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. elly

Even though I'd seen her in solid films like Hitch, Eva Mendes wasn't on my radar until I watched the interviews included on the DVD of Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call – New Orleans. There are two interviews with Mendes, one at the Venice Film Festival where the interviewer asks interesting questions and Mendes further proves herself to be a terrifically skilled and interesting artist, and one with an anonymous U.S. (?) interviewer who asks her horribly stupid questions – like "how is this film different from Ghost Rider?" – and Mendes reveals herself to be the very picture of graciousness. She had some fascinating things to say about Bad Lieutenant that added to an already stunning and complex film, and did it with style, and I have the utmost respect for her as an artist and a person.

June 15, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. laura

I have sen her on several talk shows & she is always so gracious & down to earth - she has inner beauty,along with her exterior beauty. I believe she can under take any role - she has much talent. Peace !

June 15, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Matilda

Eva Mendes is gorgeous. A stunning Latino version of Cindy Crawford. Beautiful body, down-to-earth personality. Loved her in Hitch with Will Smith. I'm jealous she got to kiss Joaquin Phoenix in We Own The Night. Just beautiful! Nothing more to say people!

June 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cid alarid

I congratulate Eva Mendes for creating a strong ever present character on the big screen and magazine front covers!
    I would love to see her in many more projects in the near future.She is an inspiration to all who watch this very special actress.!!..I say ..Bravo.

June 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |