June 12th, 2010

'Karate Kid' actually kicks out a winner

Our instincts – and old adages – tell us that if something isn’t broke, we shouldn’t fix it, and that applies to classic 80s movies as well. Hollywood, on the other hand, lives by the rule of, “did it make money before? Then let’s do it again!”

Such is the case with "The Karate Kid" - in theaters this weekend - but despite the mixed feelings of the original “Karate Kid” Ralph Macchio and the public’s apprehension to see a “Karate” remake, the 2010 spin just may be worth checking out. The general consensus from critics seems to be, “have nothing better to do this weekend? Eh, why not?”

Although Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith financing this project as a vehicle for their 11-year-old, Jaden, did raise some eyebrows, reviewers seem to be taken with the young Smith, and count his budding acting skills as one of the chief reasons to spend cash on a theater ticket. Read on for the round-up:

New York Times
: “The Karate Kid” is very long ( 2 hours 12 minutes), dramatically thin and unevenly acted, but it was filmed almost entirely in China, mostly Beijing, and it has an unexotic, lived-in sense of place unusual in current Hollywood movies….Is this “Karate Kid” as good as the original? No, although it is better than the sequels. But why bother with nostalgia? It’s probably good enough.

Salon.com: "Clocking in at nearly two and a half hours, the movie's a test of even adult endurance….At times, the movie feels less like a coming-of-age tale and more like an extended promo for the Chinese tourism bureau….But more than the scenery, the chemistry of the two leads is the film's greatest strength."

USA Today: "The film digs a little deeper emotionally than the original, which starred Ralph Macchio in the karate student role. At nearly 21/2 hours, however, it's padded with training montages and a stilted romance. The final tournament goes overboard in its effort to establish suspense....But even with these flaws, the film is solidly entertaining, mostly because of the endearing performances of Smith and Chan and its atmosphere of cross-cultural celebration."

Washington Post: "If you rolled your eyes when you heard about the remake of the 1984 hit that starred Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita, get ready for a surprise. The new "Karate Kid" brings fresh life and perspective to the classic tale of perseverance and cross-generational friendship, thanks to Harald Zwart's sensitive direction and two exceptionally appealing stars."

Do these critics get it right, or are moviegoers better off renting the classic?

Filed under: movies

1. Mike

i already said you can watch it at: http://karatekid-2010.net84.net/

September 6, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike J.

nice! my favorite move!! to watch it click: http://karatekid-2010.net84.net/

September 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bea

Loved this movie, saw it 3 times and each time was better than the last. Jaden and Jackie had fantastic chemistry and the bad kid was fantastic too. BTW, Dre's leg was not broken, where is this coming from? Of course if it was broken he would not have been able to walk let alone finish the tourament. Get real haters.

And for the person who said Will Smith talked the director into putting Jaden in this movie, WRONG, it was Will Smith's vision to do this movie. He got the aproval to do the remake from the original producer and Will's production company hired the director. I don't see this any different than if Will Smith was a painter or window washer and is teaching his son his craft. Stop the hating and enjoy a great film. Cannot wait for the DVD in October and of course KK2

August 11, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Megan P

Haha. Hilarious video with Ralph Macchio. (The Karate Kid!).

July 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jaden smith fan

love the movie and i think jaden smith is so hot perfit person to do it love it and him

July 8, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ira Meanwell

The plot is NOT entirely different than the original movie. No reasonable person that sees the movie could actually believe that.

Much of the acting is poor, the script a rip-off, the movie is too long and too slow. Don't waste your hard-earned bucks at the theater. Rent it only if you have seen everything else in the store and just have to watch something.

June 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lee

And for the rest of you who make comments like "I saw the original in the 1980s and thought this one is MUCH better. Better acting, more depth, and putting the movie in China was an exceptionally cool idea..." Uuummm Get some help. Read a book.

More proof. Part 2 of 2

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIlqEhasrw&w=640&h=390]

June 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lee

Hello! This movie sucked big time!

Proof.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgJdey2pZw&w=640&h=390]

June 27, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOB

I liked the movie, but there could have been a better actor than Jaden Smith. I bet Will Smith and his wife (they got some dough) told the director they would produce the movie if Jaden got the lead role. At the end of the movie, his leg is broken. Wouldn't they, after the tournament, rush him to the hospital. After he bet Cheng, his leg was OKAY. Then, he starts limping. Is his leg broken or not. Seriously, wouldn't you rush a kid to the hospital if his leg is broken because the natural piankillers would have worn out by then. That and the back flip I don't think could have happenend in real life. That is a reason why I liked the original one more. The kid hopped. Jaden did a back flip. Then again, I bet Will Smith told the director he would like a cool ending for his decent-acting son. Other than that, I liked it. 3.5-4.25/5

June 24, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. CleanFun

Watched it. It sucked pretty bad.

June 22, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. meika

I've seen the movie and I so LOVE it.. its not just because of the cast but the STORY itself.. Little Smith and Chan was a great tandem.. I can still remember Jaden's face during the final round of the tournament and i can't stop laughing..(HAHA).. I Hope there's a "KARATE KID 2" with same casts..

June 19, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. karate kid supporter

Jaden Smith played his role so well in this movie. Jackie Chan never fails to entertain my friends and family. We all liked the movie!

June 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dd

the smith son is better than the father. love the movie.

June 16, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. TRUTH IS BACK

I went to the movie alone just for some entertainment. Boy did this movie impress the hell out of me. Jaden Smith holds his own, he has a future in acting without his parents. I hated he got beat up so much, it made me cry. But the lessons learned were so obvious. The original movie was pretty good. This version is much better. Looking forward to seeing more of Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith. By the way I will be 60 years old this year and still I enjoyed this movie.

June 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. A Star is Born

I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed this movie. My little boys LOVED it and now can't stop watching the Never Say Never Justin Bieber video feat Jaden Smith. If you have ever been a victim of someone who tried to make your life miserable as a kid, this movie really hits a nerve. Awesome stuff, feel good movie of the year! Looking forward to the sequel.

June 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. George P Burdell

I saw the original in the 1980s and thought this one is MUCH better. Better acting, more depth, and putting the movie in China was an exceptionally cool idea. I saw it with my 7-year old son, who is learning Tae Kwan Do. He absolutely loved it!

June 15, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  17. Joe

Personal opinion, but I really like this movie. My son, who usually has to run to the bathroom twice during a movie, sat there quietly holding his legs together because he didn't want to miss a second.

Really, the only three things I didn't like: the implication that things are better or more environmentally friendly in China (yeah, right), Jackie Chan's character basically confiding in a minor in an inappropriate manner, and the mom sitting there cheering during the tournament at the movie's end when any parent worth their salt would've been 'ok, that's enough' and taken their kid to the hospital right away.

June 15, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. farsight

This was a very entertaining flick. I saw the original Karate Kid. This remake is much better acted. I like that the BS "Crane Movement" and the BS catching of the fly with chopsticks was changed.

June 15, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. Tenno

I liked both the original and the re-make. Although, the remake is much more realistic. I remember as a kid making fun of the Crane Kick and that weird thing Mr Miyagi did with his hands to make Daniel get better. This re-make uses therapy which is still used today. I have a Cambodian friend whose parents can't live without that heated bulb treatment and they are always going to get treatment with those heated bulbs on areas of pain. This movie doesn't make Jackie Chan look like some magical/mythical superpowered person, like the original did to Mr Miyagi with that weird Voodoo that Mr Miyagi was doing. In either case both movies are entertaining. They made the remake more realistic but no Elisabeth Shue. So you have a positive and a negative. As a kid I was willing to overlook the magic voodoo garbage because I got to watch Elisabeth Shue. Well, the new one is realistic with better music and scenery.

June 15, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  20. Miyagi Son

I grew up in the past, and I was very excited to hear that David Carradine was coming out of the closet to see this new version.

June 15, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  21. Wendy Maughan

I grew up in the 80's (age 37), and I loved this movie. It has the same crucial plot points as the original, even a couple of lines are taken, but the remake takes a completely fresh point of view on the other side of the world and features WAY better fighting choreography (thank you, Jackie Chan). Absolutely loved that it took place in China and featured Kung Fu rather than Karate. Chan and the Smith kid were excellent. The original and the remake are different enough that, even as someone who loved the 80's, I can love both movies without betraying anything.

June 14, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kizzieme3

My kids and I LOVED Karate Kid. I think there was such a powerful life lesson to learn. That's why I took my entire family (although I wanted to sneak away and have some ME time). I just can't say it enough! It was a great movie and I will definitely get it on DVD when it comes out and I plan to go see it again in theatres....ALONE THIS TIME...hehe...don't tell my kids...they asked me to take them to see it again.

June 14, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. babysunn

kick ass

June 14, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  24. deforge

"jack it off, jack it on."

'noff said.

June 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kit

The movie is not bad, guys. Jaden does a great job, though I'd prefer that he avoid the snark that's his dad's hallmark of his acting. His relationship with Jackie Chan is the highlight of this – without that, the movie doesn't work so well. The expressions across their faces in some of the quieter moments, or in times of character transition, are so subtle, very gentle, but extremely expressive. I was surprised at the emotional depth they added to the movie, to the characters, instead of focusing only on reshooting the key plot scenes. The trip to the monastery was lovely, along with the quiet expressions they both show: surprise, confusion, weariness, fascination, epiphany, during their walk to the fountain.

Yeah, you know the plot, but watch it for the interactions between Jaden and Jackie. Jaden and Taraji (his mom); even the love interest as she moves between her interest in Dre, obligation to her family, and the music she's also obligated to study. Or the scene with the shadow puppets during the festival – that was very sweetly done.

June 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. dan

the new karate kid looks stupid. i dont think they could make it look any more ghetto.

June 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. sixpack

Took my daughter, her friend and my granddaughter to see the movie. They all loved it, including me! Jaden did a GREAT job! Who cares who his parents are...he is an actor. Sure it resembled the first Karate Kid movie, but they changed it around just enough. A must see!

June 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. MSUD

As a child of the eighties, I went into this movie expecting to hate it. I came out wanting to see it again. This movie was outstanding and while it was a little hokey, let's face it, so was the original. Two words: Peter Cetera.

Acting was great. Jaydon Smith is not just some Hollywood kid–he backs up his work. Jackie Chan was not over the top and I was suprisingly impressed by his performance.

June 14, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Confirmation

Excellent movie with an excellent message....face your fears and you shall overcome them. We can always find something to complain about...that's our nature. This movies provides something to rejoice about...that our spirit. Kudos to Jaden and Jackie. Parents, take your kids to see this movie. You'll enjoy it even moreso than they will.... I guarantee it!!

June 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Feeniegal

Congrats, Jaden, Jackie, Will & Jada.!!! Alot of young people will not watch older movies..this story is great!!

June 14, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Annette

I took my grand boys to see this movie and it was jusr awsome my six and seven year olds were sitting on the edge of their seats and my three year old was asking why the mean boys were mean, my 11 year old nephew and my fourteen year old niece also went with us and we cried and clapped during the tournament and I actually found out that Jaden had hurt his knee during the filming of the movie and after getting his knee looked at kept going. I didn't realize the movie was two hours until I read on the blogs how long it was. I would like to see it again withg my husband.

June 14, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. dogman05

About a month ago I re-watch the original with my ten year-old. I had not seen the original for many years. I was disappointed in the movie; I remembered it as being much better than what it was. The original was slower than I had remembered and the dialog was very clunky.

I was very suppressed by the sequel. A lot had to do with the exotic location of the movie. The mountains of China are beautiful. The relationship between Dre and the young girl, and Dre and Hun had deeper subtexts than the original; because of the setting of the film the multi cultural element was more important than in the first movie.

A 12 year-old playing a 12 year-old also helped to make the story more personable and believable. I was a little creepied out watching the first movie again knowing that a 23 year-old was playing a 15 year-old, even if Shue was 21 at the time herself. Talking about believable, it was always hard to believe Arnold, I mean Pat Morita, was a Karate master. Jackie Chan on the other hand… I also always felt that my sister could beat the crap out of Ralph Macchio no matter how many flying cranes he could do.

Of the two, and speaking as a child of the 80’s, Karate Kid 2010 is a much better film than Karate Kid 1984!

June 14, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Chi-Girl

Me and another one of my 30-something friends couldn't wait to see the Karate Kid and it did not disappoint. We LOVED it!!! I didn't want the movie to end. In no way did it feel like 2+ hours. Jaden Smith is sooo cute. A star has definitely been born. I'll be looking for the remake.

June 14, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  34. 1driven

Good Movie.. why are people crying over a good remake? lol good lord, it's just entertainment.

June 14, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  35. FEMI

I LOVE THE NEW KARATE KID MOVIE WITH CHAN AND SMITH.I THOUGHT IT WOULD MESS UP THE FIRST SCRIPT BUT IT WAS BETTER THAN THE FIRST MORE ACTION AND A BETTER CONSEPT.LOOOOVE THIS MOVE.!!!! GO JADEN I SEE AN OSCAR

June 14, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • BOB

Jaden was okay, but he will not get an Oscar. Watch the end closely. Jaden leg appears okay, maybe due to the natural painkillers, but they only last for a short time. Wouldn't he be crying to god to stop the pain. He doesn't do that. He smiles at the camera and after that does he start limping. No, he will not get an Oscar, not after one movie. We need to see more.

June 24, 2010 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  36. GMacBen

I was a little apprehensive because I am not a big fan of Will and Jada, but, their son is awesome! He really held his own in this move. I am a big Jackie Fan which prompted me to take my son who has been taking Tae Kwon Do for 2 1/2 tears. He loved it! Great summer movie!

June 14, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  37. Craig

I agree with Chris;
    I saw te horiginal and although I loved the actor Pat Morita, Ralph Machio was completely unbelieveable in the original role. As far as the Martial arts, the original sucked and was completely fake and unbelieveable. Pat Morita was a fine comedic actor but knew absolutely no martial arts and it showed. The sequels that followed were even weaker.
    For that reason I was't looking forward t oanoterh remake. BUT I WAS WRONG!! Jackie Chan brings believeability and a solid reputation to his role. This I believe is his most dramatic role and he did a terrific job. The scene where his wrecks the car and reveals his tragic loss was very moving and believeable. A eye-opening dramatic performance I've never seen him give before. Jaden was terrific in this. He obviously trained and gave very athletic and believeable performance in KungFu. I definitely saw moments in his delivery, facial expressions, and mannerisms of aspects of his father that were awesome. I very endearing, handsome young man who could become as famous as his father. This is a great film for the Summer. It isn't academy award material but who cares? Most Academy Award movies I find boring and worthless. This is ENTERTAINMENT! And that's far better. Go see this one. You'll enjoy it, laugh, maybe cheer, and leave with a smile.

June 14, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  38. Blondie Knows Best!!!!!!

Guess what???? Blondie does know best...........I posted a controversial statement on purpose....to see the depth of how nasty people can get. There's absolutely no fun in a blog where everyone sits around singing Kumbaya ....!

Lighten up everyone....the Jaden Smith kid was awesome. This was simply a fun experiment in human behaviour.

Congratulatiosn Tony on this blog.......you must be great to work with since you are so even-tempered!

Have a great day all! : )

June 14, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jen

My boys loved it. It made me cry once and it has Jackie Chan. It is meant for a new generation. The chemistry between the three main characters is also very good.

June 14, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lynn G.

Hubby and I took our 10 year old son and his friend to see it and it we all thought it was GREAT! Jaden Smith is extremely talented. The setting was terrific, and I like the little nods to the original version sprinkled here and there. The audience in our theatre also loved it, and clapped for Dre at the end.

June 14, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • pettypoo

I don't see any children doing post or blogs on this movie worried about wealth, remakes, or the status of parents, behind this movie but maybe it's because they liked it and focus on what matters! It seems they are less judgmental and surely evident that they are more grown than the previous post, learn something, LOL. I loved the original and this one as well, folks some people post just to start reactions and get attention, you know how kids act out! Don't give it to'em. Power to the Smiths for working on there legacy, because some folks will never leave one.

June 14, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  41. Trina

I don't know what all the OLD people are complaining about. This new version is awesome!! Both the stars ACTUALLY know martial arts. In the first one is was so fake. Go see this movie!

June 14, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  42. Guy Kimble

It's sad that you must copy a classic in order to make money or push your kid up the ranks in child acting. That's why we have movies like the A-team and Charlie Sheen. Hollywood grow the heck up and come out with fresh ideas instead of something that has already been done. For those of you who say you in joyed the film just prove that in the world a sucker is born every day.

June 13, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Anthony

I took my 11 and 9 year olds to see this movie and for two and a half hours I didn't hear a peep. I really liked to original but this remake was a lot better. As an adult I thought it was a bit long but all-in-all I really enjoyed it. Take the kids, they will like it.

June 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Fun remake

Loved the original (grew up in the 80's), loved the remake.

Jaden Smith is so incredibly talented – who cares if his parents helped him get a start ? Like another poster commented , he still had to prove himself, and he absolutely did. Jackie Chan was fun, although I do slightly prefer the original Pat Morita.

Scenery is beautiful, the training sequences are fantastic , and our audience also clapped at the end.

My 12 yo, his buddies and I all loved it.

June 13, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Rob - Australia

Honestly, I think it's all a little over hyped.
    Did I like the first one? No.
    Will I watch this one? Maybe, when a decent torrent emerges, or when it's free to air one day.
    Fairy tale coming of age movies don't do it for me, but I can see how it'd appeal to a younger new audience.
    If young Jadens Ma and Pa can afford it, why not? I'd do it for my kids in a flash if I had the moola (money)
    Jackie Chan is always worth a watch.

June 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Stan

Actually, hate is something that spans charity, no matter what good a celebrity does in the community those who hate that celebrity will refuse to see the good they have done. I've also noticed that this hate and jealousy is frequently directed at the black celebrities, which is why it is usually a bloody waste of time for any black celebrity to expect a THANK you from society for whatever good they do, I'll rather just keep my money and give the haters the middle finger. I'm not a fan of Will Smith and I detest Nepotism but who the hell am I to criticize a father trying hard to push his son ahead in a world corrupted by greed, jealousy, anger, and hate.

Fact is, you haters are all jealous hypocrites who refuse to learn to ignore the things you hate. Its amazing the number of people that were praying desperately for this movie to fail, attacking Hollywood remakes and franchises when they are the same people who go to the cinema every week to watch the countless remakes Hollywood has been spewing in the last 10 yrs. Jaden Smith and Will Smith comes out with one and you all are losing your heads; you same people can't wait for Toy Story 3 to come out next week, Spiderman Reboot, Twilight (part 20), X-men 6 etc, yet you scream for ORIGINALITY when Will Smith touches your precious Karate Kid, I'd say GET A LIFE!

June 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  47. LVK

The movie was fantastic!!! Much better than the original!!! Jadan Smith is a much better actor than Ralph Machio

June 13, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. The Teacher

For some interesting reading, here's an account of how irrationally holding on to past has shown it's ugly head before...

June 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Keta

I dont't care what anyone in this blog says that is negative and closed minded. I took my kids and my nephew to see this movie and we all loved it. It was so much better than I expected. I think Jaden smith is an exceptionally young actor. He really puts his all into all of the parts he play. He does not let him being the son of famous actors stop him from doing his job like some of the other children of famous people who play in movies with no acting skils and that really suck. This young man is going to be better than his fther and his mother. He is just that focused and just that talented. I went to one city to see this movie and it was sold out for 7:00 p.m. so we had to wait, we got our tickets early and it was sold out again for the 10:00 show. The same thing happened with friends of ours who went to another city close by and they loved it too. This just goes to show that you nay sayers dont know what the you are talking about. I remember seeing the karate kid when I was young and I have to say I perfer this one with jaden over that one.

June 13, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. HOPE

I took my son to see this movie yesterday and it was fabulous!!!! Jayden Smith and Jackie Chan were great. I would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. Just great!!!!

June 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Angela

I have not watched it, though. My son went to watch it with his dad. He repeatedly said to me, "It was awesome." He said better than the other versions. Now, he wants to be enrolled in Ku-ng Fu classes. What an inspiration! He adds, he would watch it again in a movie theatre than wait for the DVD. Go figure!

June 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Maria

Great movie! Those who say they don't like this movie need to get out of the 80s. My daughter and I loved it!!

June 13, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Laura

The young Smith is a GREAT actor! So impressive!

June 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Rodney

GREAT movie!! The people who are saying that this is not a good movie, have not seen it!!

June 13, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  55. Head Diva In Charge

I'll be honest, I really don't want to see this movie. It just seems all wrong.

June 13, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Maria

Don't watch it. It's not manditory just pull out your old VHS movie and have a good day.

June 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • JAMESZINA

I think you have other hiden reasons for not watching this movie. What's really going on ?????? I'm sure your no DIVA.

June 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Ralph

Most Everyone in the movie theatre cheered at the end, so we all had a good time. Sure it's great to hear about other children of non movie stars who project success, but it's too bad you're so jaded by names that you had to post what you did. Blondie, your ego is showing and perhaps you don't know best. Maybe you don't know squat.

June 13, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Blondie Knows Best!!!!

What I do know, Ralph.....is that I haven't heard about Will Smith and his wife donating anything as of yet to needy people (unlike Jolie and Pitt – 2 remarkable celebrities). Unlike yourself who is easily amused by theatrics, I'm far more interested in seeing the depth of people...AND NOT behind cameras in a glorified movie either.

Yes...people are fools who fund this. As you get up to work everyday, Will Smith is contemplating which mansion he should buy next all because his son was basically handed an opportunity – there was NO hard work on this little kid's part!

Dumb.

June 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Wilson

Blondie, maybe you should do a little bit more reading outside of OK magazine. Will Smith has donated over millions of dollars to charities (AIDS, suffering children in S. Africa, etc). He and Jada also have their own charity that is for inner-city youth, which is something Angelina Jolie would know nothing about since she herself was born into Hollywood royalty. Which, that simple fact about her should make you hate her as much as you apparently hate this little boy (Jaden Smith) who has done nothing to you personally, but has been fortunate enough to have parents who make tons of money by doing something they enjoy doing.

So next time you want to call names online, maybe you do more research other than what you've heard or haven't heard about celebrities. Have you ever thought that maybe some of them don't need to make a big show everytime they do something charitable? Constantly having your acts of kindness up for display takes the sincerity out of it, in my opinion.

Smart

June 13, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • cycoblitz

Gee, Blondie, you're really hung up on mansions and stuff. Jealous much?
      Are you not able to see how hateful you are to people you know nothing about.

Movie was great.

June 13, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  57. blondie knows best!!!!!!!!

This movie was just stupid and promoted by two parents who happen to walk into the lap of luxury.......he's simply lucky to be born to two millionnaires and his talent has NOTHING to do with it.

Who cares bout this B.S. anyway? I would rather congratulate an un-priveldged child who grows up to be a doctor.

NOW THATS's A SUCCESS STORY!!!!!!

You're all fools who are basically contributing to the next mansion Will Smith will buy on your dime.

June 13, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Cycoblitz

I'm glad you hated the movie and could share that with us. It seems you're wrapped up in the stigma of Jayden and the Smiths and perhaps not of the lesson of the movie. And again, hurray. But really, you're showing your immaturity by calling people fools for enjoying something you obviously didn't get.

June 13, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Maria

Geez, forget to take your meds did you? You don't care about the movie don't watch it, why are you even on this blog? Oh by the way Brangelina are a couple of dishonest two-timing individuals, you think what they do is because they are so righteous? They do what they do becasue they are trying to improve their image to the public due to their past infidelity.

June 13, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Blondie knows best???? I think not!!! Seems Blondie doesn’t know how to use Goggle….lol
      Blondie I just Goggled “Will smith donates’ and received several news hit’s (Will Smith Gives $1.3 Million to Charities-Fox News), and Jada Pinkett Smith donated $1 Million Donation to Alma Mater in 2006.
      Many celebrities donate monies and ask for this information not to become public. A person shouldn’t be judge on the amount of charities he/she supports, but by his/her character. Many drug dealers, and thugs give monies to their local neighborhood “(look at the incident in Jamaica),” while killing innocent people. I don’t judge Jaden by his mother and father charities, or religion but by his own merits which he desires credit. He did a great job of acting and inspired many young kids in the audience. My 8 year old loved it and never once asked “What charities does his parent support?” BTW what charities do you support? I (family) support through our local church by giving time and resources to helping under privileged youth and the elderly. Lighten up Blondie I am happy to see your interest in the under privileged and it a noble cause, but this isn’t about that. This is about a young actor making his debut in a remake of a classic film. I am sure there are other blog out there for bashing actors and actresses.

June 13, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • JAMESZINA

Blondie you just mad. You must have low selfesteem. Did you grow up poor? Stop being a dream killer. Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan rocked the house !!!!!!

June 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • J.

You do realize that this is a movie, and this is a blog about entertainment right?

June 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack h.

i totally agree. i'm tired of the nepotism that is rampant in hollywood. so many terrible actors and actresss makeing millions only because of their parents and who they know. anybody can act and be good. my proof is penny marshall of LEVERN AND SHIRLEY. she was terrible but also stared on happy days and the odd couple. but her brother was one of the biggest tv producers in hollywood. now penny marshall is a producer. does anyone see the problem here?

June 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Justin Case

EXCELLENT MOVIE A+A+A+A+A+A+

June 13, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  59. dee slim

I've watched the movie n so luvable can't wait to watch it again! The best action movie so far and I know Jaden Smith will be a very good actor just like his parents go Smith family

June 13, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  60. Tim

As someone who was in college during the 80s, I can tell you that the original version of this film was utterly dreadful. I've practiced Kung Fu, and (being Chinese) grew up watching the whole kung-fu genre from childhood. For anyone with a problem with the "unoriginality" of remakes, let me remind you that the "original" was little more than a pastiche of a great many martial arts movies from the 60s and 70s (the Hong Kong ones, not the Chuck Norris ), sans the blood-shed. The so-called "original" followed the same formula as 85% of the Jimmy Wang Yu movies from the late 60s. It was just transplanted into the suburbs, with stereotypes thrown in to suit the times, and "foreigness" of Asians. If this "new" version seems unoriginal to some, at least it's easier to appreciate the superior production values, locations, and actors.

June 13, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  61. Anibal S.

I have just seen the new Karate Kid and it was awsome. Don't get me wrong the original one is awsome too. he new one is just more up to date. Don't hate appreciate.

June 13, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  62. qbana

I can't imagine those who gave this movie a bad review saw the same film I did. It was tremendously entertaining despite the length. It was well acted. Jaden and Jackie Chan have wonderful chemistry, and it was nice to see another side of Jackie Chan. He delivers a good dramatic performance quite different from his usual lovable though goofball persona. By the end I was tearing and cheering. I don't usually see movies again; I'll likely make an exception for this one.

June 12, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Mike

Just got home from seeing this movie. Didn't have high expectations but it was an opportunity to spend more time with my son and he loves going to the movies with me. He loved it! I was happily suprised at how much I enjoyed it as well. Has many good learning points which even my 7 year old seemed to catch. Would certainly recomment this movie!!!!

June 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Laura

This was definately one of the best movies I have seen, I saw it with my 10 year old son.. The critics as usual for some reason never rate the best movies as they deserve. I was in absolute awe with Jaden, as well as Jackie, who performed to me, his best true -to /-life role. It is soo worth seeing, with moral and respect, it was just an overall A++ movie that I highly recommend, and so does everyone else I know that has seen it. You won't be wasting your money!

June 12, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jameszina

AWSOME AWSOME JADEN SMITH AND JACKIE CHAN. THIS IS A MUST SEE MOVIE. TEARS, JOY AND PRIDE. I LOVED IT.

June 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  65. kungfu mama

O M G... this movie was terrific! I totally agree with Francina – everyone was clapping when Dre won, and again at the end of the movie. Didn't even feel the length of the movie, and it most certainly was a coming of age movie and the story did NOT lose that at all...Watch it with a very tuned-in 7 yr. old and you'll know what I mean. My son cheered, laughed, cried...he loved this movie.

I do think it is violent f or 5 and under – you know your child – use your own discretion.

June 12, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Chris

I grew up in the 80’s and thought the original Karate Kid sucked big time. My brother suggested we see the Karate Kid and I didn’t like the movie and wanted my parent’s money back. My 11 year old son wanted to see the movie and I was reluctant; however a father’s duty is endless. I was very surprised with the movie. The movie was great and the chemistry between Jaden and Jackie was awesome.
    The theater was packed and the audience was cheering Jaden on!! This movie is a definite hit.
    This movie is very different then the original and in my opinion more believable. My brother played the original Karate Kids for my nephew and son and they sat through about 15 minutes of it before leaving the room. We are “(supposedly)” adults our kids are not going to relate to movies and soundtracks from the 80’s. People need to get over this don’t remakes movies. Every movie is great in its own time.

June 12, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  67. The Teacher

I apologize for my many typos and grammar errors. This forum doesn't allow editing after the post is sent.
    1) "the movie has* gotten positive..."
    2) "...good idea to make an* updated version..."
    3) others...

June 12, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  68. The Teacher

Here's a lesson. People universally hate two things:

1) Change
    2) The realization that they are older.

Remakes bring both. In one 2-hour shot (not to mention an ad campaign), people are reminded that the world around them has changed ("The Karate Kid is black now?"), and that the original was done so long ago that a studio thinks it would be a good idea to make a updated version for a generation and-a-half that can't relate to the original. Do you think kids today want to listen to Bananarama's "Cruel Summer"? No, old haters. No they don't. That's an 80's tune. Sure, kids today are dressed in 80's fashions, but they don't know that. They think it's new. That's what it means to be young, and you were that way, too.

And to those that cry nepotism, where were you when the children/young family members of Goldie Hawn, Tom Hanks,
    Julia and Eric Roberts, and so many others started THEIR careers, huh? There's more to your ire than you are letting on and you know it...

The funny thing is, the movie is gotten positive reviews from just about everyone, which only makes the haters look even more foolish. Pathetic and foolish. So go ahead, take your ball and go home...and pop in that VHS of the Karate Kid.

June 12, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mlb

My problem is not with change or becoming older. It's with the fact that Hollywood couldn't come up with an original idea if their life depended on it. So they either remake successful movies, or they make a bunch of sequels of something (ahem Shrek) that should have been finished 2 movies ago. I love movies, but I'm very particular about what I'm willing to shell out my hard earned money for in the theater. And this isn't it – I'll wait for the DVD. Besides, the kid is doing king fu, not karate – they're capitalizing on the name to make money. If the movie is so different from the original, the movie should have a different name.

June 14, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Sho Nuff

Thank you! As a Martial artist, I thought Macchio was a Joke! What made the original great was the story line. Not only can you feel the connection between Chan and Smith, but both actors do justice to the fight scenes.

June 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Cory Harris

Funny I saw the original and it suck and the martial art talent of Pat and Ralph was nothing close like it is in this movie. You guys in your critical ways the remake is better...

June 12, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Francina

I took my 10 year old son to see The Karate Kid last night, and he has seen the original. We both loved the new version, and so did everyone in the movie theater. Everyone in the theater gave a round of applause when Dre won the tournament. I give this movie two thumbs up, and I've recommended it to all of my family and friends.

June 12, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Nate

I took my oldest daughter to see the Karate Kid and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a fantastic movie and you just can't help but like Jaden and Jackie...highly recommended...

June 12, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Marie

I loved it! I think we will see a lot more of Jaden Smith...and not just because of who his parents are. That may have gotten his foot in the door, but once in, he had to prove he could hold his own. And in my opinion, he does. My children and I really enjoyed this movie!

June 12, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jason

Why did they have to ruin the karate kid? Why oh why.

June 12, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jameszina Ellis

The new KARATE KID is awsome. JADEN SMITH and JACKIE CHAN rocked the house. EXCELLENT MOVIE

June 13, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

The older I get the more I like to think that it's not about putting the remake up against the original. See, They are both wonderful movies. I don't think it was made to outdo the first one. It's the story that rules.

June 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  74. genellle

i like this movie ,and the boy is so
    hot

June 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  75. allison

of course everybody who grew up in the eighties is BIASED, and non flexible, but i am happy to see the positive note and willingness to give Jaden a chance. It's not really a "REMAKE" the story, setting and characters are completely different, this is TOTALLY a different vibe although. Which makes it cool and appealing, they didn't try to copy, they came up with thier own. i mean it really didn't even have to be the same name, minus Mr. Meagi?? and The 'karate kid' it looks promising, feris bueller rejects need to grow up, we got kids now.

June 12, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

I don't quite understand what you mean by your Ferris Bueller comment. Are you implying that if you have kids you embrace unoriginal bad movies? The Karate Kid is just another mediocre "adaptation" of a very good movie. However, The Karate Kid REMAKE will fade away fast just like The A-Team and all the other remakes of 80's.

June 12, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • tyson

I took my daughter to check it out this weekend and I ended up being more entertained by it than she did. Jaden Smith does an exceptional job and his chemistry with all the actors was pretty good(besides with his mom Taraji P. Henson). No matter if u grew up in the 80s with the karate kid or new generations the karate kid, its a good movie.

June 14, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |