June 10th, 2010

Will Matt Damon be back for another 'Bourne'?

What would the “Bourne” franchise be without Matt Damon? We may find out in 2012, when Universal aims to release a fourth "Bourne" film.

Damon –- who’s played Jason Bourne for all three movies –- said back in ’09 that he wouldn’t do a fourth movie without “Bourne Supremacy” and “Bourne Ultimatum” director Paul Greengrass, who also said last year that he wasn’t interested in another “Bourne” go-round.

“I’m very proud of those films and feel they express everything I most passionately believe about the possibility of making quality movies in the mainstream,” Greengrass said. “My decision to not return a third time as director is simply about feeling the call for a different challenge.”

However, Damon believes that Greengrass may have gotten back on the “Bourne” train if the script was great. “[Greengrass] is ready to do another job, and it wasn’t the right job now. I get it,” the actor said. “I wouldn’t do it without him but I don’t feel like he’s done with it totally…If there was a great 'Bourne' idea, he would love to do it.”

Universal isn’t commenting, but EW reports that the studio has hired Tony Gilroy, who’s behind the previous three “Bourne” scripts, to scribe a fourth. While producers Frank Marshall and Pat Crowley are coming back again, Matt Damon remains the undetermined.

Filed under: Celebrities • Matt Damon • movies

1. Elizabeth

Bourne without Matt Damon, NO WAY! He is magnificent in this part. Matt, please say YES.

I also saw nothing wrong with the directing, loved every second of the three movies.

October 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dave

tony's a dick

June 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. matilda damon

I hear that they're going to put Jason Bourne riding a unicorn into the next movie. Well, that will be more credible than some of the stupid garbage that was in the other three (for example, riding a body ten floors to the ground and then surviving – kind of like falling out of a plane on your seat cushion, then jumping off at the last second).

June 13, 2010 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Johbob

Yeah, movies are so unrealistic. I also didn't like how they all acted like they were someone else. I know that's you Matt Damon. He's not really Jason Bourne, I mean come on. I bet Jason Bourne doesn't even exist! We're not stupid Hollywood! They HAVE to know that camera is there at least at some point, I mean, am I supposed to be believe they just wait for the camera crew to catch up to them in those car scenes? I bet no one even DIED in those scenes.

June 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. debby

Matt Damon should play the role of Cicero in Imperium and Conspirata by Robert Harris. He should be the perfect candidate for that role.

June 13, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. x

I love the Bourne movies, but I do think the shaky camera technique is unnecessary. It does make a lot of people queasy and takes away from the enjoyment of the film. I enjoyed the first Bourne movie, and that one didn't need to use this technique. You CAN make an exciting movie without resorting to camera tricks. Used properly and sparingly, it can make some action scenes more intense. But if done throughout the whole movie, it just quickly becomes tiresome.

June 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

x, I agree with you. I'd write more but my posting would be deleted.

June 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marc

Don't know who directed the movies but sure look forward to the next one.

June 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

The Internet Movie Database should help (http://www.imdb.com/) If the URL was filtered (most likely it will be), the host is imdb.com.

June 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. brad1001

Can anyone name a three quel that measures up to the initial offering? Even the Bond films have lost their luster since they ran out of Ian Fleming stories to film.

June 11, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

The 3 Godfather films.
      The first 4 Harry Potter films. I didn't like Order of the Phoenix...I thought it moved too quickly.
      The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Star Wars, Alien, and The Terminator all had poor 3rd entries but had superior sequels.
      The first Indiana Jones film is the only good one.

June 12, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Curveball

I have a crazy idea: how about a Hollywood film where the U.S. isn't the villian? There's a vicious rumor these used to exist back in the 20th century, but I haven't seen any this century. Granted the apparent premise of the Bourne films is that he is a runaway U.S. agent, but now that he's settled all those old scores maybe he could turn his sights on actual bad actors out there in the world, like North Korea. I look forward to the extremely shakily-filmed Bourne film devoted to the evils of other nations on the May 19th of 20never.

June 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Are you suggesting the US is the villain in the Bourne films? Perhaps the villains are rouge elements in the CIA who use/exploit their positions for their own gain or agenda. The character of Pamela Landy works for the CIA and helped expose Operation Blackbriar. Landy hopefully still works for the CIA while Noah Vosen is in prison. It might be a crazy idea if people could figure out who the bad guys really are in a movie.

June 11, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Let me answer your question with another: If all you see are movies that glorify your own beliefs, then what's the point of seeing movies?

June 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CATom

I like how mike damon always preaches liberal peace-loving bs but the only movies he makes that are any good are adventure shoot-ups full of killing and bombing.

June 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

I enjoy lots of films by the late John Wayne & Charlton Heston but I always separated my thoughts on their films from my feelings for their loathsome politics.

Please don't delete this posting.

June 11, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

And if you're going to attack some guy you've never met, at least get his name right.

June 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • JR

I guess Damon realizes that the movies are fiction or even fantasy but the real world is the real world, it's shame you can't figure that out as well.

June 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Donald in CA

I hope not. Another one of those movies would cause a lot of folks
    a lot of grief.

June 11, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. J

"Ultimatum" was Great!! No Damon... no ticket.

June 11, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. steve

I'm on the fence. Love the Bourne movies, but every time I say "God, the camera is too shaky". Would like to see it toned down a touch.

June 11, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. Gary

I've been predicting this movie for some time now. I predict the name will be, "The Bourne Redundancy".

June 11, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

Would love to see another Bourne movie. But, without Damon (who is still well in his prime), there would just be no point in making a fourth Bourne. All we would get is another Bond-esque set of sequels with ever declining acting talent and equally poor scripts. The great thing about the Matt Damon / Paul Greengrass approach was they made it "real" (or, as "real" as you can get in mainstream cinema these days). Maybe it's time to call it a day and celebrate the trilogy for what it was, much like Spielberg's "E.T.", without any unnecessary sequels, remakes or runs at the money-train.

June 11, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. Chris

As much as liked the movies, i wish they would have stayed true to the books. There are not many movies made that started as a book that are true to them but alas i will keeping wishing.

June 11, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  16. Diane

I agree with Tony, I hate the shaky camera work. What a shame to put so much time and money into all the stunt work and you can't see what is going on.

June 11, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

I agree with you Diane. I'd write more but my posting would be deleted...again.

June 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. breeze

Anything for money. Sometimes I hate Hollywood. But, unless I'm wrong about Matt, he can't be bought. He would never come back unless it was a great script and director. If he's not in it, you can bet it will suck.

June 11, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mark Potts

If Damon doesn't do it, which would be a shame, get Chris Pine.

June 11, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  19. chris

please do another Bourne! I watch them over and over.......they are awesome

June 11, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sameera

Liked Bourne trilogy. Green Zone. not so much. Bourne without Matt ? noway!

June 11, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  21. Angie

Love the movie and it would not be the same without Matt Damon.. I hope he takes the part!

June 10, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Johnny

If you watch the movie standing up and sway with the camera you don't even notice it's moving.

June 10, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dara

The "Bourne" installments will not be the same without Damon. The is a part he was bourne to play!! Pun intended!!

June 10, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Brit

The movie would not be the same without Matt Damon, in fact if Damon doesn't sign on there really isn't any point in starting the project. The movies in general have well choreographed fight scenes and I would hope that they would keep this up in the fourth film. I enjoyed all three films and will look forward to the fourth Bourne!

June 10, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Lisa

@Tony: agreed. The camera work in the last Bourne movie was so shaky, it gave me a headache. And the script – please! that could have been boiled down to 20 minutes and added on to the previous Bourne installment.

June 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Tony

Oh, please not Greengrass again. Him and his stupid shaky cameras. Has anyone bothered telling this buffoon that nobody likes his directing style? I have not heard one person, ever, say that they liked his shaky cameras and dark filming style. Not one. Why kind of moron believes that audiences want to watch fight scenes filmed so dark that you can't make heads or tails of who is fighting???

June 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boris

Good directing style by Greengrass. His use of high-ISO film lends a gritty feel to all the scenes. In addition, I like his use of telephoto lenses to heighten the feeling that you are with Bourne. I agree that some of the fight scenes are too choppy, but that also prevents us from seeing how choreographed they are.

June 10, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Hey tony: I like Greengrass and his shaky films and dark filming style and such. There you go, you read it right there....I am not a movie fan....don't like it? Don't watch it.

June 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

"nobody likes his directing style" you say...interesting. "Supremecy" made $288,000,000+ and "Ultimatum" made $442,800,000+. I guess SOMEBODY liked his style.

What you mean to say was YOU didn't/don't like his style. Which is fine. I guess the rest of the world has to check with your tastes before they decide to see a movie.

June 10, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

Wow, your comment is the stupidest comment I have ever seen. Let's make movies only "Tony" likes, because the universe revolves around him.

June 11, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I like the look of those movies. Sorry, Tony, but I hope they get the same director.

June 11, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Tony, I agree with you. I'd write more but my posting would be deleted...again.

June 11, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Maltheus

Yeah, I never felt so ripped off as I did at that last Bourne flick. I love the concept, I loved the first movie, but I simply wont watch anything by Greengrass ever again. I don't even understand how anyone could defend a movie that you couldn't possibly see. It reminds me of that Animal House line, "thank you sir, may I have another."

June 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Have you ever been directed by Greengrass??? I will say that I LIKE his filming style, there now you cant say you've never heard it... Who cares what you or I think anyways, maybe Matt Damon like his directing, ever thought of that one?

June 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

I agree with you Tony. The director of photography did a much better job in the first move. The action of the actors, quick cuts made for a true action styled film that really showed off Damon's skills as a fighter. The 2nd and 3rd films adopted an MTV camera shake that make an elderly man look like an action star.

June 12, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • RBN

Oh, and the movies you all have directed are so great! Oh wait.. you're a bunch of couch potatos that won't make as much money in your entire lives as Greengrass made on just one of the Bourne films. I like the Bourne films, so bite me! You wouldn't know a good film if it bit you in the ass.

June 13, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • snazzy

Matt Damon is Jason Bourne.

June 15, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Opinionated

All racists should be used to plug the oil spill in the Gulf!!

June 12, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |