June 10th, 2010

The Backstreet Boys join BP boycott

Backstreet's back alright, but they're not using BP.

The Backstreet Boys said in a statement today that they’re joining Korn in the boycott against purchasing BP oil. The boy band (can we still call them that?) is currently on tour to promote their “This Is Us” album, and their sojourn across the States will be BP-free.

"I'm devastated by what I've seen first hand and on the news," Nick Carter said in a statement. "I've always been a marine activist and seeing pictures of oil-covered animals breaks my heart."

Said fellow Backstreet member Brian Littrell: “We just played Biloxi last week and I have to tell you people are really worried down there. This boycott is about making a statement, letting people know how we feel and to stand for something.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Hortencia Therrell

Such type of are getting to be remarkable just as before routines wherein means that we can unwind the actual spinal and in addition sleep thoroughly without the expertise pertaining to kind in your own just as before.

February 29, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Seth Winstead

Props to the Backstreet Boys for making asses out of themselves. First off, the spill was not even BP's fault http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/08/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?iref=allsearch) and second, the rig got a presidential seal of approval just before it happened. Blame Washington or maybe Canada.

November 12, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kieran Adams

Backstreet boys is a very popular band during my teenage years, they are great performers too.~:,

July 9, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Smitty

Curious, aside from one or two folks here having a genuine response to the bands' actions, none of you are really staying focus.. Seems your more into slandering boy bands then focusing on the real issue. Express your hate towards the groug on their site. As for the comment "it was an accident" – it could have been prevented not to mention some thought into a fail safe or hey, even a contingency plan, to be put in motion. After the 17 (if i recall correctly) voilations pretty sure the folks of BP knew the stability wasn't as anticipated. My opinion anyway, don't care to debate much when most are narrow minded.

June 11, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Jules

Smitty, I think you missed the point. The boy band boycott is the joke. The real issue on this post is that only fools can be swayed by a group of has-been entertainers.

June 11, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cat

I guess my question is, other than selling your shares of BP...how do you boycott BP? By taking it out on the owners of the locally-owned gas station franchises, this hurting local business men and women that had nothing to do with this spill? That does not seem to be the right thing to do to me...

June 11, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Jules

Exactly. Most of these owner/operators are lucky if they break even on gas sales. It's the food and snacks that make or break them.

June 11, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. jmz

Hey backdoor boys...you can't even spell BP much less have a coherant opinion on the subject. God I hate musicians actors etc that use their careers to advance an adgenda they know nothing of. I'm not sayong they can't have an opinion. But face facts..they are not risking anything. Do they even know what fuel goes into their private jets or limos? Why not try using less energy? No they wnat their toys and the ability to act high and mighty at the same time...they are a joke so is korn, pit bullsh*** has been and oats ant the rest of thoes hypocrites...!

June 10, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Isn't it spelled... B-P?

Haha, or did you mean the actual name, British Petroleum?

June 11, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

jmz, it appears you can't spell anything right in your comment. Calm down, take a step back, breathe, and then come back to comment. This just appears like a rushed comment fueled by your anger. Chill out, it's just the Backstreet Boys. They really aren't worth you getting upset over... nor are the other artists who have spoken out. For most people, they're an afterthought.

June 11, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. bjn72

Remember 2 yrs ago when gas was almost $4.00 a gallaon and emails were going out saying dont buy gas on this day or that day. Well I dont remember the price of gas going down because people not buying it. Want to bet that their plane and tour bus is filled with gas from BP

June 10, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Deke

What a bunch of idiots.. The Dumba** Boys

June 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Greg

To everyone jumping on the Boycott BP Bandwagon...you do realize that unless you power your car with Hopes, Dreams, and Unicorn Farts, the ONLY way to void BP Gas is to not buy ANY Gas. Oil is traded between companies. If BP pumps 10,000 barrels, but only has the demand for 5,000 barrels worth, then they sell the other 5,000 barrels to another gas refiner. Either way, BP gets their money. All of the oil companies do it.

June 10, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Independent

As already mentioned, boycotting BP stations will more immediately hurt US employees and their families. But if the left wing would stop and actually think, for once, financially ruining BP at this particular point would not help us in the least. They are paying for everything right now and the government will make them pay huge fines on the back end. Wait till all of this is payed up, then put them out of business if you must. You idiots will make US citizens pay for the aftermath with tax dollars if you get your way.

June 10, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nicole

You do realize that BP stations are privately owned, correct? This "boycott" is going to do nothing but hurt the families that own the stations. Its not going to hurt the people responsible for this oil spill. Complete ignorance.

Instead they'll be supporting other gas stations that are just as bad as BP. Exxon, remember Exxon Valdez? How about Shell who is being sued for human rights violations in Nigeria? Or maybe Texaco who has been contaminating drinking water in Ecuador? Ridiculous.

June 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jae

I never liked this "group" cause they have no talent, cant sing, cant dance, cant write song, have you heard or listened to any of the words to their songs, horrendous. But I will buy their CD for taking a stance. With Capitalism, if companies do not perform, they need to be boycotted and put out of business. for those of you that dont agree, remember the $4.00 gas prices when you were sitting at home not even able to go to the movies. That was their boycott to us because they knew they could not get away with that stuff when the Tea Baggers, I mean, Freedom Stealers, I mean, KKK, I mean Republicans were voted out.
    But hey, all your racists, I mean Tea Baggers, I mean, proud to be former slave owners, I mean, civil rights haters, I mean Republicans are right, LETS TAKE THE COUNTRY BACKWARDS, I MEAN BACK.

June 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ajay

Jae,

Filling up on BP gas DOES NOT harm BP in the long run. There are over 9600 gas stations in the U.S., and guess how many BP owns? ZERO

So by you not filling up...guess who you are reall hurting...the gas station owners.

I am defintely against BP right now, but lets take this for what it is. AN ACCIDENT, and lets not get dragged into the media frenzy taking place!

June 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

I'll bet you didn't take your meds today, did you? Lighten up dude, you'll live longer.

June 11, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jules

I think I'll stop and fill up on the way home.

June 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • jae

Hey Jules,
      While you are filling up, can you get me a chicken with light Oil. and some oysters dark please with extra grease. who cares about animals right, as long as WE are ok. remember Jesus only came for the few that believe, how awfully WHITE of HIM to do that right? Just a question, remember the wire tapping the the Great President Bush authorized, is that still legal? or do we have our freedom back?

June 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. thehenderson

these celebrity (if you want to call the BSB's celebrities) boycotts are rediculous...If they want to boycott something, they should look in the mirror...

June 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

You sir, are a winner! BAM!

June 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay

"Just a question, remember the wire tapping the the Great President Bush authorized, is that still legal? or do we have our freedom back?"
      @jae: if you care to look at facts instead of what misguided soundbites you heard from Rosie on the view you would see that the wire tapping under "echelon" actually started for and by the Clinton admin. The CIA has also said that the practice of "rendition" under Bush didn't even compare to the things that were done under the Clinton admin and started under Clinton. I just can't believe in the age of the internet where information is so readily available that people like you can still be so uninformed. Look it up, I dare you to see what's really happened.

June 15, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |