June 10th, 2010

Korn boycotts BP products

As oil continues to spew from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, rock group Korn is taking a stand. The band, who will be hitting the road with the Rock Star Energy Drink Mayhem Festival this summer, is boycotting the use of BP products in their tour buses and vehicles.

“The daily images are hard to watch,” Korn frontman Jonathan Davis said in a statement. “We need to do our part to let BP know there are consequences for causing something like this. We want to send a message to corporations like BP so that they will take more preventative measures in the future. The more costly their punishment, the more money they will spend to make sure disasters like this don’t happen again. It’s plain and simple capitalism.”

Coincidentally, Korn’s latest video, “Oildale (Leave Me Alone)” is set in a poor area situated among the oil fields of the band’s Bakersfield, California, hometown. “It was one thing for us to grow up near such poverty,” said Davis, 40, who is urging other bands to boycott BP. “But the situation in the Gulf takes things to a whole new level where people’s lives and livelihoods are affected forever.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Donnie

Stick to making pop music, Hollywood boys...

June 11, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Spooger

Are their fans called Kornholers? If not, they should be.

June 11, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Julles

That reminds me, I have to stop and fill up my Humvee on the way home from work.

June 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CJ

What does this have to do with Obama's qualifications or George Bush? Seriously people.

Korn can state their opinion as much as they want and they will be heard more than you whether you like it or not – its because of YOU! You read the article, you even posted about it... how many people are you going to talk to about it? Its because of you they are FAMOUS and have a voice.

And I happen to agree with their opinion but I've never been a fan of BP's gas... seems watered down more than the million alternatives. I do have to admit that if I was about to be stranded and BP was the only gas station for miles and miles... I would end my boycott.

June 10, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CJ

Thank you Korn, for standing up for what you believe in! BP should be made to pay dearly, although no amount will ever restore the Gulf to what it was. Also, we as American citizens and voters, allowed our elected officials to make bad policies and not enforce laws that would have prevented this mess. Both the Dems & GOP have been in cahoots with the oil company for many years. Show Washington you have had enuf by boycotting BP, using a lot less fuel (yes, I am talking about walking and biking), and hound our elected officials to finally adopt a permanent policy for alternative energy.

June 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Uh oh

This is what we get for electing Obama – what is he doing to stop this oil crisis? George W would have shown much more concern. America is finally seeing what many expected, that Obama is all talk and no action. Lord, get us to the next election!

June 10, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • SalMc

That's funny, uh oh. I agree. I work with a guy who is a great talker, and the guy can't get anything done. Always an excuse. Lots and lots of talk that we all have to listen to, but at the end of the day, nothing he is put on to do gets done. Must be related to Obama. How did this country elect a person with no accomplishments to be President of the USA?? Unreal.

June 10, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ur an Idiot

Bush would not have done S*#T! Bush is in cahootz with the oil componaies as well as John McCain. They would have reacted just as half-heartedly as Obama is. Politicians are snakes as well as Bp's reaction to this crisis!!

June 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • pete

CNN is saying that Obama can't get too mad because then people will say he is being an "angry black man". Give me a break! Did our country really need this type of political correctness running our country? Get that oil problem fixed!

June 10, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. deadkornbread

thats my boys......KoRn rules...just cause they are musicians doesnt mean they are stupid as some of you would say.they are educated people.and they dont need new hairdos either..

June 10, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. jmz

Oh wow man korn is like soooo cool and sooooo worrldy. Shut the hell up and play music! I hate it when musicians and actors put their 2 cents in and try to be political. Its annoying as hell esp when 99.99999999% haven't the slightest clue of what they speak of. You got jenny mccarthy and her stupid opinions on vacinations, the idiots boycotting az cuz they have the nerve to defend themselves, the greenies and hippies who never even been camping and ride in private jets twelling us how my truck is destroying earth, peta fruits who don't know the first thing on animals musicians who think socialism is cool.. etc and now this. Sit down, shut up and play music. Your job is to entertain me, not spread your limited social commentary

June 10, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • rosco11

you are an ass....go drown in some oil!

June 10, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. I think its silly that just because you are an entertainer that somehow you should remain silent about issues or politics. They have the right to voice their opinion just like you do. America is a free country and as long as you live and work here and pay taxes you have the right to say what you want. I don't understand how someone's profession somehow makes them unacceptable to speak out. What an ass you are, but that's your right to think that way.

June 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bizznatch

"the greenies and hippies who never even been camping and ride in private jets twelling us how my truck is destroying earth" Riiiiight..... Because you see Hippies with upper management positions all the time... Forgive me for stereotyping but hippies and greenies camp and spend time outdoors MORE than the average person wouldn't you say? And PETA "fruits" who don't know the first thing about animals?? Are you kidding me? People join a cause like PETA because they ARE very passionate about the subject and want to make society more aware of it. You dont have to be a veteranarian to feel that animals should not be subjected to cruel behaviour. If you have fame to your advantage why not use it to spread a message that needs to be spread?? Sure boycotting BP likely wont hurt them financially at all, but it's the principal of the matter, that they need to take more precautions to make sure something like this never happens again.

June 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jd

Boycotting Bp does nothing to Bp. They are franchises that are privately owned. Korn is a band not ROLE MODELS. I would hope musicians that have the power to persuasion would actually educate themselves before trying to make a statement. As a country we idolize people for doing nothing (getting record deals).

June 10, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. SamD

I'm on board with Korn. Boycott BP! I will never visit a BP station ever again (in addition to Exxon and now Amoco). The destruction caused by their poor judgement has affected too many innocent people. It is time to punish those who screw up, and BP has screwed up BIG TIME! Let those losers start to feel what it's like to lose their jobs and livlihood.

June 10, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Okay, good for you. Go get ripped off by the other gas stations. Gas is gas... in my opinion we should really push for alternative energy... but oh yea... that would be too much work for everyone.

June 10, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Boof

I'm sure you have BP shaking in their boots with your boycott. Let's see what you do when you're out of gas on the highway the only gas available it s BP station.

June 10, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Concerned

SamD you are right on target. America never punishes people for bad behavior. As a country, I agree, we need to start holding people accountable for their actions. The CEO of BP makes millions, along with huge bonuses. He/She gets that kind of money because they represent the company as a whole. Sue them! That will send a message to large business that the CEOs will he held accountable if their staff screw up. Maybe then we will avoid all these problems. I feel badly for all those innocent workers in the south that have to suffer because BP screwed up.

June 10, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. pauldecirce

oh man, that should break the bank for BP; how about that Rock Star Energy Drink? now that crap is something to get behind....

June 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. Imus

Good, more for me.

June 10, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. laura

I think that is very noble of these men to make a statement - now they need to get new hairdos....thanks !!!! United We Stand !

June 10, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |