June 9th, 2010

Rihanna on Chris Brown: He was my best friend

In the July issue of Elle magazine, we find Rihanna opening up about loves lost and found, which of course includes her ex-boyfriend, Chris Brown.

The 22-year-old singer reveals that the 2009 Grammy night attack at the hands of Brown left her confused and wondering if she should stand by her man.

“He was my best friend,” she said of Brown, 21, who received a six-month community labor sentence. “All of a sudden, one night changed our whole lives — not only our friendship, but our lives. I wanted to wake up one day and just not have that pain anymore. I wanted to be with him again or get over him — it was either-or. I just didn’t want to feel the pain, the confusion.”

Thankfully, the Barbadian beauty seems to have found Mr. Right in L.A. Dodger Matt Kemp. “I’m so happy. I feel really comfortable, and it’s so easy,” she told the magazine. “I have such a chaotic life, but at the end of the day, that is just my peace. It keeps me sane, really, talking to him and talking to my family.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Rihanna

1. amanda

Why is everyone still talking about this situation as if women and men arent beaten everyday?.......and killed might I add? This is ridiculous.........and how come white people feel the need to comment on grammar and content? Really this is not English 101. If you dont understand what is being said, why try. Move on to a comment you can understand. Always feel the need to correct another bloggers grammar. Get over it.

October 20, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Desire Anyanwu

Well,for me what the Ni99a did was wrong despite what transpired b/w the two ! buh the whole SH!T is up to Rihanna to accept brown's apology since the Ni99a has acknowledged his fault, unless she want to make Chris to be infamous as a young star ?On my own view if Rihanna want PEACE let them play a new album just like Nelly & Kelly. . .I love them both !

September 9, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Flac

Was she on life support after this incident? I don't recall her almost being dead....

June 14, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jessica

@Jon
    Does it really matter what she wears??? Really??? does that mean that she shoul have gotten beatin within a inch of her life??? If you believe so then go right a head and kill yourself because your a monster 2 and a big waste!!!

June 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jessica

Just face it Fistopher Brown is a monster and he should have faced jail time!!!! I think he got off pretty easy... and yes his career is OVER!! lmfao Good for Him :)

June 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jon

Why is the B!TCH always in her bra & panites I mean really? What type of ROLE MODEL for little girls is she? I hate that the media has not told the TRUTH about Rihanna's ABUSIVE PAST! she has abused both her youngest brother and an ex-boyfriend! She was quite ABUSIVE toward Chris Brown but because she has 2 X chromosomes the media will say nothing about her VIOLENT NATURE! The FIXED RACIST MEDIA sickens me!

June 10, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ally MrsBreezy

Genuine. I have an acceptable sized forehead..........LOL JK I'm Rihanna :).
    Chris Brown is a legend, before all of this went down, everyone loved him! He could do no wrong. He was raised in a violent environment with his dad using abuse at home. Unfortunately for Chris this impacted his life and he made a huge mistake, which we ALL know, as well as Rihanna how he is sincerely sorry for his actions! People make mistakes and learn from them. There are thousands of men around the world and women infact that are violent in their relationship. It's just because Chris Brown is a celebrity does this make it worse. Rihanna needs to get a grip, get over it. Accept it's been done. Nothing can be done about the past. Move on. Leave the poor boy be! And as for The Home Office UK Border Agency, they can actually spin. They let terrorists and imigrants into the UK every single day ... and won't let Chris Brown in? They can all spin. We should all get a gang and go and crunk some moves outside downing street till Cameron comes out and gets so angry he hits one of the girls in the face. Then we can tell him... "IN YOUR FACE CAMERON, GET OUT OF OUR COUNTRY BRO? ... YEAH? DOES IT BURRRRN?!" :).

June 10, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. liieviine

yhyh rihanna about he was ur best friend his life is ruiide all bcuz of u biitch lesbiann

June 10, 2010 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jake

Rihanna and Chris both lost because of that night but long term Rihanna will be fine (and I don't care what anyone says she is the Jessica Alba of singing she looks good but isn't that good at acting/singing) while the best days of Chris' singing career are over (too bad too considering his album was better than people give credit). The whole shame of the situation is that it doesn't seem like Rihanna came out stronger from this whole situation. She still talks about Chris and still references him when she could easily say "that's in the past and I'm moving forward with my life". Her album Rated R was garbage and was just an excuse to take a shot at Brown's album (even though Graffiti didn't need any help to tank). Rihanna's 20/20 interview was an embarrassment and a joke to sit there and talk right before your album was going to come out and say things like "I wanted to look out for little girls so they wouldn't get killed". That sounds good in theory but I haven't seen her in any PSAs about domestic violence. Rihanna needs to use her voice and position as a popular artist to speak out against domestic violence. Chris...well he needs to keep trying to make music and go about his business.

June 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nello Gello

Such a sad story.. But one day they will both get over each other but right now you can tell feelings are still there.

June 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. greek

He whipped my ass but he was my best friend give me a break.

June 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. zara

CIERRA...stop sounding ignorant. It is not your place to "forgive" Chris Brown. You don't even know him. He BEAT Rihanna, not you. It is Rihanna's right as to whether or not to forgive him. Please stop acting as if you know Chris Brown. He's just another brother who beat his woman. I am so happy that he has had to face up to what he did. I hope his new girlfriend doesn't make him angry.

June 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Someone who actually knows Chris Brown

@Zara- You go out of your way to blame every part of the situation on Chris but yet you tell the other people who have posted that they don't know him. Neither do you, nor do you know Rhianna. I know Chris and have met Rhianna on various occassions. They both played a part in what happened; Chris with his anger issues and Rhianna with her jealousy issues. Most people on this post are not close enough to the situation to know which parts are true or which parts are false. Not to take any attention off the fact that Chris should have never put his hands on her and he has paid for that dearly with the loss of his career. While Rhianna has also hit him numerous times including with a high heal shoe in top of his head while driving the night of the incident. We should be very careful at who we pass judgement on because I'm sure none of us live perfect lives. We may not be beating up our significant others but I'm sure there is plenty wrong in each of us, whether we admit it or not.

June 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tiff

I Agree @ my voice..
    I Agree 100%

dude has never had an
    issue with any female, not excusing the situation.
    But I'm sure if he yelled a any other female they would have sold their story for $$$. I still think they both were abusive to one another, young and immature. Poor decision making and irrational thinking.. CB keep ur head up.
    I wonder myself how come Rhianna has not participated inDV events or speaking to the youth??? IDK...

June 9, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. My Voice

Some of you people are too pitiful with your lies.Chris Brown did not beat Rihanna to within an inch of her life,even she said the media report about the choking was untrue,so why do you people insist on telling that lie? It's clear to me that you don't care for women who are REALLY dealing with abuse because those ARE the women who are dealing with CHRONIC ABUSE.

Some of you are so lousy that you say that people defend Chris Brown YET I bet with all in me that you hypocrites are silent on Charlie Sheen who as an OLDER WHITE man who has repeatedly abuse several women is excused by the very people that sit on your thrones of judgement against Chris,I mean who do you SINNERS think you are...One day KARMA will come back at you....

June 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • zara

It's amazing that you are upset about the choking allegation. Why are you so upset about that but clearly don't give a hot damn that he beat the crap out of her. Women like you are sad apologists for brutal disgusting abusers. Charlie Sheen is another abuser but to my knowledge there are no pictures of his wife bloodied and bruised and beaten. You cannot label Sheen in the same way as Brown until those photos make the rounds. I hope you are never in the situation that Rihanna was in...you may just have to eat your words.

June 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. OMG

When someone one beats you within an inch of your life, and this is someone that you love and respect, then you just don't get over it. Those people defending Chris Brown in this incident are honestly messed up in the head. They are either abusive or in abusive relationships. Regardless, when you love someone you don't hurt them. Real men do not hit women. You can think Chris Brown is hot, or whatever but he is an abuser, he is not a victim. I am glad that you all can forgive him, but this is not about you is it? It is about a man who tried to kill his girl friend, and lucky for him she let it go. She not only gave him his power, but she attempted to use grace and dignity to move on with her life. Let her live in peace.

June 9, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • crystal

She was not beat an inch of life. I have seen a real battered women who was in the hospital for weeks. That is being beat within an inch of someone life. I do not defend what he did, however, what happen to her can not be compared to what many other women have experienced which is 100 times worse than what happen to her. But is that in the headlines no. Just saying! Do not disagree with what your opinion is.

June 10, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • @OMG

STFU! She was not beaten within an inch of her life it was all made for TV drama! If she was so abused she would have required hospitalization and surgery so STOP BEING SO DAMNED OVER DRAMATIC! You ppl are DISGUSTING! This little wh@re has gotten everything she EVER WANTED! She said it herself "I'm glad it happened it made me more FAMOUS"? WHAT TYPE OF TRUE VICTIM SAYS SH!+ LIKE THAT? DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR, SEE OR READ IN A FIXED MEDIA ENVIRONMENT LIKE THE AMERICAN MEDIA MARKET!

June 10, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. suzzi

To all you Chris Brown defenders – would you let that angry, immature creep date your daughter??? I WOULD NOT!!!

June 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

what about Charlie sheen ,sean paul .......

June 28, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • sarah

this goes out to all of you because nobody's perfect.we're all trying to make excuses for either chris or rihanna but none of you can tell me that you will never hit someone even by accident.we all get angry sometimes but deal differently about situation that we face in our lives.yes the media lies so do we,everybody lies sometimes in their life.i can admit that chris did wrong,he should never had put his hand on rihanna but rihanna's not innocent in this either.it takes them two,so i think it's time for the media and all of you including me to back off and let rihanna and chris take care of their act on their own.they don't need lawyers and all,they are both grown ups now.let them both be! it's not fair for anybody to suffer,you guys need to stop bringing back the past.chris realizes his mistake and his taking action for it.let them take action of their act on their own because the event took place and it was between them two,the media and all learn and find about it.so let them be! don't take your time blaming any of them because they are trying to put it behind them but you guys and the media keep on bringing it back.it was hard enough for both of them so pease media and all let them be!

July 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Cierra

I'm sure Chris Brown didn't want to hurt her it's just that he has like anger issues maybe but he i guess he was mad at Rhianna and he beat her! I will pray for Chris Brown and Rhianna. I mean Rhianna's cool she's alright but not all that you know like Chris Brown I love Chris Brown and I forgive him what he did and I will always love him I don't care if he has a girlfriend I still love him he will always, always be in my heart and my prayers!

June 9, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sgibson

OK, Ms. Linda. Maybe they asked her about Chris Brown? They were asking about her love life after all. The public is who's interested in it. And he hurt himself, she doesn't have to say anything about him.

June 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. John

I love Rihanna. She is beautiful and clearly a strong woman. I hope she is here to stay. She is talented and relatable. I soooo admire her and I pray that everytime someone shoots negativity at her way her star shines a little brighter and higher.

June 9, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • simply right

dude ur wack! hav u seen her ne video clip te amo! she's all leso!

June 10, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  20. Leeland

Well if some beat the hell out of you I'm sure you would talk about them too.

June 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. LBW

I don't care for her, but you never forget your first love and I do believe she loved him.

June 9, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ms. J

Ms. Linda.....you are so right! I am so tired of hearing Rhianna always saying something about Chris. Personally, I feel that they are both to blame for what happened between them. I am tired of her using this incident to publicize herself.....she need to grow up already and let him be!

June 9, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. kathy

why cant rihanna just disspaear hasnt she tortured chris enough..I realli dont like this girl'/

June 9, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leeland

Why don't you disappear? Chris is a spoiled turd. you tired old women and little girls will say and do anything to protect that filth.

June 9, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • zara

Ha Ha. Chris is the one who has disappeared. He can't even go to London for a world tour. He is not played on radio stations. He is not performing on award shows. His album flopped. They don't sell his CDs at some stores. Wow. Meanwhile, Rihanna continues to ROCK. It seems like Chris is the one who has pulled a Houdini. Chris who? Drake stole all his thunder and is the new and improved Chris Brown.

June 9, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ms Linda

if she found mr right how come she is always talking about chris brown because she haven't move on and she wants to contuine to hurt chris brown she say she don't wants to hurt chris but that lies she have something coming out because every time she have something coming out she talk about chris but kama is a mother tell your rockband to move on and stop talking about chris and start talking to young ladies about DV which she haven't

June 9, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reply to Ms. Linda

If you are going to spend the time to comment online about a celebrity that in no way impacts you life, either use Spell Check on your computer or a dictionary...or better yet finish high school. Your grammar is terrible.

June 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Person that replied to Ms Linda

You should take your own advice and use spell check. :-) You have a word that's spelled wrong.

June 9, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

Wow, Ms Linda. You're a moron.

June 9, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • just me

I don't really care about your grammar, but how about some punctuation? All that you do with a comment like that is spotlight your lack of intelligence.

June 9, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • zara

Do us all a favor and get an education, a GED or something that will elevate you out of your terrible use of the English language. WOW. Your whole diatribe is riddled with errors.

June 9, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • jamesmadison

Welcome to the new, undereducated, overwelfared, "give me a handout because I deserve it" America. Change we can believe in!

June 9, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • cb fan

Ms Linda i so agree wit u! wat eva u said is so true !

June 10, 2010 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

OMFG, THANK YOU! I thought that I was the only one that noticed she is FOREVER bring his name up! The NATIONAL COALITION FOR MEN (NCFM) has called on Rihanna to speak up about her ABUSIVE PAST starting with the ABUSE she administered throughout the course of her relationship with CHRIS BROWN! It is really sad that this media has gone out of it's way to try and damage Chris Brown because he was a TEENAGER & BLACK! Charlie Sheen, Eminem, Sean Penn, Mickey Rourke, Christain Slater all beat wives for yrs & Jerry Sienfeld sleeped with 17 yr old HS student Soshanna Loinsten but did you EVER SEE THE MEDIA GO ON & ON ABOUT THESE GROWN @SS MEN & THEIR CRIMES? I HATE THE AMERICAN MEDIA!

June 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • CONFUSED2

WHAT? YOUR POST MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!

June 11, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |