June 9th, 2010

So many secrets on 'Pretty Little Liars' series premiere

“Pretty Little Liars” is like “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” - a group of best friends trying to make it through high school. Of course there are subtle differences between ABC Family’s new series and the 2005 flick: One of the girls goes missing and they don’t all share the same pair of pants, as far as we know.

The pilot episode of “Pretty Little Liars,” which is based off the books of the same name, begins on a dark and stormy night in a small town called Rosewood. Like all teenage girls, the five best friends - Aria, Hanna, Spencer, Emily and Alison - were spending the night drinking and sharing secrets in a barn. Upon waking up the next morning, Aria - played by Lucy Hale, who starred in CW’s “Privileged” (which in my opinion should still be on the air) - realizes Alison is nowhere to be found.

The girls went their separate ways after Alison’s disappearance, but one year later, each of them is brought back together again by some creeptastic messages.

When Aria returned to Rosewood from an extended vacation in Iceland with her family, we find her popping into a dark bar to grab some food, meeting a cute post-grad in the process. Turns out he’s recently accepted a teaching job (if that’s not foreshadowing, I don’t know what is), but Aria doesn’t own up to still being in high school. If she had, perhaps the two wouldn’t have wound up making out in the bathroom.

Meanwhile, Hanna successfully (or so we think) steals a pair of designer sunglasses while Emily crushes on Maya, the girl who moved into Alison’s old house. (Things we know about Maya: she asks a lot of questions and breaks out the weed when her parents are out.)

Last but not least we come to Spencer, who spent the majority of the pilot ogling her perfect sister’s new boyfriend Wren, who seems to be ogling right back at her.

We eventually find out that the cute post-grad Aria got to know in the bar bathroom is her English teacher (you’re all shocked, I’m sure). After an audible “Oh crap” from Mr. Fitz (a.k.a., the cute guy from the bar) and a whole lot of curious stares from Aria’s classmates, she receives a text: "Maybe he fools around with students all of the time. A lot of teachers do. Just ask your dad. –A.”

One flashback later and it all makes sense: Aria and Alison caught Aria’s dad cheating on her mom in the back seat of his car last year. Alison had to have sent the text, because who else would have known?

The eerie messages and telling flashbacks keep coming. Emily, who shares a brief and awkward kiss with Maya, later finds a note on her locker: "Hey Emily! I've been replaced. You've found another friend to kiss! -A."

Then Spencer receives an e-mail from A: "Poor Spencer. Always wants Melissa's boyfriends. But remember, if you kiss I tell.” It seems this isn’t the first time she has lusted over one of her sister’s boyfriends. In a flashback, Alison threatens to tell Spencer’s sister the truth, at which point Spencer threatens to tell everyone about Jenna. So many secrets! Jenna who?

Hanna, who eventually gets booked for shoplifting, also receives a text message: “Be careful, Hanna. I hear prison food makes you fat." Thanks to Hanna’s mother, who seduces an officer in order to get her daughter out of trouble, Hanna won’t be going to prison.

This is where it gets even stranger: As Emily is walking home she sees flashing lights surrounding Maya’s new house. Alison’s body was found in the yard.

The four friends come together at Alison’s funeral, and afterward huddle outside the church to talk about the cryptic messages they’ve received from “A.” A detective walks over to let the girls know he plans on solving Alison’s murder.

The episode ends with a final message to each of the girls: "I'm still here [expletive], and I know everything. -A."

What did you think of “Pretty Little Liars?”

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. pregnancy information

Its like you learn my mind! You seem to grasp a lot about this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I feel that you simply can do with a few % to pressure the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

August 31, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. sam

luv your show!!! :) <3

February 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. emma12345

it is already ova amy101 if you are still asking ok idk what the secret is plz tell me if you no. !ily!

September 8, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. amy101

does anyone know what day the pretty little liars marathon is?

July 28, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marley1214

this is nothing like The Sisterhood Of Traveling Pants!!!!! megan lyn your totally right i dont think jenna is blind either how would she know that Hanna was in the elavator ok she could feel her presence but how would she know that Hanna was looking at her Lipstick.

July 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • emma12345

i no right and in the beging they said they though it might be her txting them but she kept on txting them suff about where they were and she cant freckon see soo either she isnt blind or there was someone with her but i know now hermy is the killer but i still dont know there secret about ali that no one knows lol someone tell me !ily!

September 8, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. megan lyn

that jenna girl is SOOO not blind. if she was blind she wouldn't look at people directly in the eye. and when spencer was staring at her on the street she looked right at spencer. during lunch jenna reached for her water bottle and directly touched it. if she WAS blind then she wouldn't know exactly where the bottle was.

June 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Angela

I love the show- I have the DVR all set up for the season! By the way, if you haven't seen Lucy Hale at Great Friends Greetings, it's definitely worth a click. Very cool... http://www.greatfriendsgreetings.com

June 12, 2010 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. kayla

wow i just watched this first show and im hooked!! REALLY good!! cant wait till nxt tues so i can find out more! i keep wondering about it! should i read the books????

June 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kyra

My theory is that the detective murdered Allison.

June 11, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kayla

I love the show but what is hannah's secret????

June 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Casey

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL MEEEE!! WHO IS JENNA?

June 11, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. amazing ;)

why were aria and eraz sooo coupley after one hook-up?? it was just a one-night stand!
    but the rest was good
    xx

June 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. comment

did anyone else keep imagining gossip girl's voice when reading the text messages that "A" sent the girls?

June 10, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Odalice Feliz

The girls all look so clean cut....reminds me of me and my friends!

June 10, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ashim Dutta

What are the thoughts about Uttam kumar and Guru Dutt etc. with respect to hollywood.Either equal or unequal status.

June 10, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. Casey

ok, for any of you who know what the whole "jenna thing" is about can u pleasssse tell me? I am soooo confused!

June 10, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  17. TammyB

This actually sounds pretty intriguing....will have to check it out!

June 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bookworm

Sometimes I wonder if i would have understood this show as well as I did had I not read the books. I highly recommend reding them, they are honestly just as good as the tv series. It's so incredible to watch the books come to life, I absolutely love the show. Hooked :)

June 9, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. NYLA Princess

This show had a whole list of stars from so many shows I'd watched as a teen and most recently many of the shows that have been canceled. What an alumni! It actually is intriguing. They could go on for months with this the story's plot. I like how it meshes "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" with "Gossip Girl", except the cryptic messages are from a supposed dead girl. We never really saw the body. And someone must be linked to the dead girl, Alison..could it be Jenna or the Detective? Finally, a show I can tune into that is NOT a reality show.

June 9, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Shana

I was mad that the girls except for Aria and Allison looked nothing like the books description but I actually thought the episode was good hopefully they keep following the books cuz they were good =]

June 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lindsey

I already loved this show i wanna go read the books now

June 9, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  22. AMAZED

theres only ONE episode and im already hooked! i cant wait for next Tuesday!

June 9, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Zoey

Omg I watched this show and loved it lmao I never knew there was a book serious do you recommend I read them? Can't wait for more PLL (: <3

June 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt :/

READ THE BOOKS!!!!! THEY ARE SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!! im a boy and i like them, that means they have to be good!

June 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. hooked already

I'm hooked already. I decided to give this show a try becuz I'm a huge fan of Lucy Hale, Holly Marie Combs & Troian Bellisario. I didn't have high expectations...but...this show was great! Def getting a spot on my DVR list!

And Privileged should DEF still be on the air! Loooved that show!

June 9, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorin

Holly Marie Combs is in Pretty Little Liars? I loved her in Charmed and miss seeing her on TV. That would be awesome if she was in this show, however, this is the first I heard of her being on it????

July 22, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  25. P

It wasn't a bad start... I just hope they stick to the books and don't go wandering off b/c it's on ABC family...

June 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Right?

I know right? They always change movies based on books, and they've done it with TV series before too! I hate that!

June 19, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. so cute

wow this show was not what i expected. i thought it was going to be prissy. this kinda reminds me of desperate housewives except its with younger females lol

June 9, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • BizKit

I agree, the acting is terrible but definitely "Desperate Housewives the younger years" lol

June 10, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |