June 9th, 2010

Macchio had ‘mixed feelings’ about ‘Karate Kid’

Remakes don't always go over well with moviegoers, and this seems to be especially true when it's a franchise as beloved as "The Karate Kid."

Ralph Macchio, who played Daniel Larusso in "Karate Kid" parts I, II and III, admitted to Access Hollywood that he, too, was a little unsure of the reboot at first, which stars Will Smith’s son Jaden as the kid who picks up the martial art and Jackie Chan as the master who teaches him.

“It’s like mixed feelings,” he said before joking that “number one, you feel old when they’re remaking your stuff.”

But the 48-year-old added that once he got past that, he came around to the idea of telling the story again. He brought his 14-year-old son Daniel, named after his character, to the premiere Monday in Los Angeles.

"It’s a testament to the legacy that we created that we didn’t even know we were creating," the actor said, because with the first film, “We didn’t know what we were doing. We didn’t know the magic that was happening and the Pat Morita performance [as Mr. Miyagi] and all the Cobra Kai and ‘wax on, wax off’ and catching flies with your chopsticks and the crane just became part of everyone’s childhood."

Macchio said, "I don’t look at it as the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. It’s not the passing of the torch as much as it is the celebration of a great story."

Jackie Chan added that fans shouldn't expect too many parallels between his movie and the 80s classic. "When we make 'The Karate Kid,' we just want a new 'Karate Kid.' It's not the old one," Chan said. "So, I'm not Miyagi. I'm just Jackie Chan."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Rhonda

I don't understand all the negative comments here. I have seen many interviews with Wil Smith and his family and find young Jaden to be very sweet not at all arrogant! Also what is all this about avoiding the remake like the plague MY GOODNESS it's only a movie! Maybe there are other issues at play here.

June 13, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

YEAH....You just realizing that? Why would grown people be hating on a child is beyond me second. I seen the movie, it was great. I actually thought it was better than the first, I tried to watch the orginal and had to turn it off. If you miss out on it...you're only hurting yourself. Jaden & Chan have money already.

June 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bridget

Jaden is Will Smiths SON? Well, the joke is on me. I thought this remake was with a girl in the staring role!

June 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. roy

Karate Kid one and two were excellent movies. I especially love the Karate Kid 2 with ralph and tamlyn tomita. That is the best story and cast i have seen in a long long time. Tamlyn is a very lovely and passionate actor.Long live the first 2 Karate Kid movies. I still watch number 2 once a week.

June 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Liz

OMG Ralph looks sooooo hot now dang!!!! Mercy!!!!!!! :o)))

June 10, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. O_o

I won't be seeing this. I'm tired of them remaking classics. They need to just stop already, leave the classics alone!!!

June 10, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Odalice Feliz as "Harley Quinzel"

So cute.....I use to watch all of the Karate kids movies, I even read the books....surely I was a karate kid girl, then power rangers came!!!!

June 9, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lee

To everyone who doesn't like the idea of remakes, look at it this way; the desire to do a remake is the appreciation of a really great story. The younger generation doesn't want to see an "old" movie. Even now when I see an older movie, some of them look so cheesy because of the technology available at the time. Either way, it doesn't take anything away from the original. You CAN enjoy both.

June 9, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

Say what you want about "OLD" movies but at least the ones that were well written were generally based of the writing of a script and not about insane & unbelievable computer graphics! You see thats the difference between "OLD" movies and the over-done computer graphics crap that is generally made today period!!!!! And as for remakes it is a very, very rare case when it's been done right. I loved the original Karate Kid and have no plans to ever see this one.

June 10, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. will

I'm going to avoid this remake like the plague.

June 9, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mushymushroom

I also have doubts for this film because as we all know, Karate Kid is well loved. But, by the time I found out that Jackie Chan is in it, I thought, Ok, this is a go.

@ TammyB Yeah, I thought it was endearing to hear him name his son after his beloved character. That's cool.

@Bob, yeah, sometimes it's frustrating why do they have to do remakes and not just give this era possible classics for the next generation to enjoy. Same with TV classics being remade. They should do a remake of well known crappy stuff and turn them into a cool thing now, you know, the likes of Wonder Woman and stuff not the classics that are perfect already and doesn't need any new versions because it's still relevant as it is. But this Karate Kid seems cool though. :)

June 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TammyB

I'm still going to see it, although sometimes I really hate remakes. I have been surprised by some, however, and I do love Jackie Chan! I think it's really cool that Ralph Macchio named his son Daniel after his character! Brought a tear to my eye!

June 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. thehenderson

Daniel-San, don't worry. We won't let them replace you with a hip-hop version...

June 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

Some movies shouldn't be remade, and this is one of them......I won't even rent it....The.greed of Hollywood that blinds common sense has been running rampant in the last decade.....What next? The Godfather? Apocalypse Now? Its like writers have fallen off the face of the Earth......I'm just wondering how long it will take them after the Harry Potter series is done filming before they cast another kid( son of the producer, cough) to remake all those films....rediculosa!

June 9, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • pchacker

This should not have been made (or at least billed as a comparative to the original). It's Will Smith's "with money I can do anything I want" move that is looking to propel his son into the industry, hoping to inspire some "remember when" feelings by those of us that saw the original. The reaction I'm seeing is that the exact opposite is occurring.

I'm sorry but I won't be seeing it. I wish them luck with it and obviously as it's backed by seriously deep pockets, it will be (and has been) shoved down our throats advertising wise, which simply goes to show that you don't have to have quality to splatter mediocrity on the big screen – only capital.

June 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lu

He DOES look great! They should not have touched this movie. ESPECIALLY with Jaden Smith in the starring role. He is an arrogant little boy and does not have 1/5th of the charm and class that Macchio has.

June 9, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

hater

June 10, 2010 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Lu

hater hater

June 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lu

Pam – you are absolutely right. I DO hate arrogance and conceit – whether it is in an adult or a child. Somehow, in a child, it is even harder to digest. there are plenty of child actors out there who 'get it' and understand that being a successful, wealthy individual does not mean you are better than anyone else. Character still counts. It is unfortunate that this red carpet appearances and interviews suggest this kid does not get it.

June 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Beth

I don't care if it did get his seal of approval. I won't see it, so there (sticks out my tongue). I'll rent the original!

June 9, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph Macchio

You're the best, aarrrounndd, nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!

June 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

48?!! He looks like he's 30! Good for him.

June 9, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Mel

Damn, he looks REALLY good! I agree, he looks better now, then he did in the Karate Kid movies.

June 9, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • JL

I have to agree. He must be a genetic freak like Demi Moore (per Ashton Kutcher). He looks great.

June 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. J Jones

Ralph Macchio looks better today than he did when he starred in the Karate Kid movies. Wow! He looks very attractive!!!

June 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. KT

My only gripe: don't call it "the Karate Kid". Call it "the Kung Fu Kid"! It's just as catchy!!!

June 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Tess

Wow, he looks the same!

June 9, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kw

Ralph Macchio sure looks great to be 48 years old!!!

June 9, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |