June 9th, 2010

Les Grossman gets 'untitled' movie project

Hope you enjoyed Les Grossman’s production work on Sunday for the MTV Movie Awards - the foul-mouthed "producer" with a Ludacris soundtrack isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Paramount and MTV Films announced Wednesday that they’re ready to give Grossman his very own untitled movie project to star in.

As the statement notes, this "announcement comes hot on the heels of Grossman's groundbreaking and visionary production of the soon-to-be-Emmy award-winning 2010 MTV Movie Awards." (We didn't know the Emmy's had an "outstanding use of excessive swearing" category.)

And those MTV promos with Grossman - played by Tom Cruise, of course - and Robert Pattinson? That was evidence that this Hollywood player is still in the game. According to the statement, "Tom Cruise, along with Ben Stiller and Stuart Cornfeld of Red Hour Films will produce and have secured the life rights to Grossman."

Stiller, who introduced Grossman to moviegoers in 2008's “Tropic Thunder,” said Grossman’s life story “is an inspiring tale of the classic human struggle to achieve greatness against all odds.” He added, "[Grossman] has assured me he plans to quote, ‘[Expletive] kill the [expletive] out of this movie and make Citizen [expletive] Kane look like a piece of crap home movie by the time we are done.’ I am honored to be working with him.”

“Scott Pilgrim vs. The World” screenwriter Michael Bacall will pen the script, although Grossman didn't clarify what exactly it will be about. "To quote my great friend Kirk Lazarus, ‘I don’t read the script, the script reads me,' " Grossman said.

Tom Cruise is in talks to once again don Grossman’s paunch and bald spot.

Filed under: movies

1. Headless Critic Films

If they do Les Grossman as a mockumentary like "Spinal Tap" or insider film like "In The Loop", then it would be perfect.
    If they do Les Grossman as one of the many failed SNL movies where the characer starts off like a jerk, and learns the true meaning of not f-ing people over, this movie will be a true "2 hour $-".
    I have high hopes!

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. klc

Agree with Michael... the novelty and appeal were in the shock value of such an 'out there' and unattractive character being played by Cruise. This was such a departure by someone who usually plays 'himself' in movie characters who always seem to scream "please love me as much as I love myself." I give Cruise kudos for stepping out of the box and setting aside his apparent vanity to play this character. But this quirky caricature seems best left as a cameo... a little bit goes a very long way.

June 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Beasterdamas

Yea if you're going to do it do it dark...Funny would get boring quick...But if it's a dark comedy mafioso shoot em up then this thing could be good...Or if could be another dark look at Hollywood and how the players rip everybody off of their ideas...

June 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Maverick

Tom Cruise's ego is writing checks his body can't cash!

June 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fred

No wonder Hollywood wonders why the average film goer is opting to view films for free via torrent sites. They keep coming out with JUNK.

June 10, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dilly

If you can't act – OVER ACT. Tom is past his expiration date.

June 10, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Samantha

I simply love any movie Tom Cruise is in...

June 10, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Samantha

I've never agreed with much any of Tom Cruises thoughts, but i've always enjoyed any movie he was in and he was hysterical in this role.

June 10, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

Boring!!!!! Tom is getting old!!!!

June 10, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. valkyrie

did anyone see valkyrie?

June 10, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. John L Mendez

Tom's latest flix is tracking soooooooooo poorly that this Les Grossman announcement is Tom's pathetic attempt at spin.

June 10, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

This is like Andy Kaufman and Tony Clifton.

June 10, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. callie

Anti semitic stereotype created by self loathing cretin Stiller whose Dad happened to be Jewish. As bigoted as blackface. Sad that it gets main stream approval. Maybe its like the 1930's in Germany after all, my grandma could be right. about that judgeing from this and the media treatment of Jews.

June 10, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Luciano

this is primarily about Mexican-Americans and Mexicans and their suises you are being disingenuous when you add embrace the different races, ethniticies and genders .) If it's all about Mexicans and their suises, nobody else is going to be interested at all. Why should they be? If you TRULY want something that embraces everyone leave out the ethnicity in your description. Make it about civil rights for every one . Otherwise, it just sounds racist to me.

March 14, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Derrick

Great news. Right up there with your coverage of everything else. Superb.

June 10, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. Derrick

Great news. Right up there with your coverage of everything else.

June 10, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. Kirk

Wow. Who even knew the MTV awards was on? There was no announcement anywhere for it.

June 9, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

16.4 million viewers got the word. Where were you?

June 10, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

10.29.11 at 3:12 amDick FromageI guess it must be because I'm a ifneogrer but the backlash is not as potent here as it is for you, so even though I'm amused at your jokes about him, I'm still pretty impatient to watch this, it's gonna be over the top, not particularly clever, but not as dumb as a fast and furious movie, and hopefully funnier than those gritty trailers, which wouldn't come as a surprise from the guy behind The Incredibles. Fingers crossed.

March 14, 2012 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. asbindy

If you think TC is talentless, check out some of his work from the middle of his career–Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky, Collateral, and especially Magnolia. Even if you don't like those movies, they're risky roles and very intriguing movies

June 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JP

I will make it a point not to watch whatever stupid attempt at a movie they come up with, just because it's cruise, he should disappear already

June 9, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DUH

Its obvious that some of you people never seen Tropic Thunder. And im guessing you dont have much of a sense of humor either. I am not a Tom Cruise fan either but his role in Tropic Thunder was hilarious. This should be good especially with Ben Stiller in the corner.

June 9, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. sniffnyc

Both Tom and "Les Grossman" are just not funny- at all, ever. Cringe inducing, if anything, and terrible when you think about em. Emmy my ass. Love to see his portrayal of David Miscavige though. .

June 9, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Head Diva In Charge

I will see this (what is sure to be) train wreck of a movie. – For sure.

June 9, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ryan

Regardless as to whether the character is Anti-Semitic or not, I think making an entire movie about him is retarded. He was a side character with very few lines in Tropic Thunder and most of which were barely funny. Making a "spin-off" film based solely on a fictional character is not a good idea...case in point Get Him to the Greek. Granted, a movie about Aldous Snow could have been AMAZINGLY funny, but it all fell pretty flat. Basing a movie off a character from a film where all he had was quippy one liners is not a good idea. Movie producers are the kinds of people you would probably see in remedial english classes in high school. Also, when have the words Ben Stiller and Good ever been in the same sentence? I rest my case.

June 9, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jai

Im not a big fan of Tom Cruise but he was brilliant in this role. So right on the money.
    I hope they do it right.

June 9, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. shawn

I like tom doing this character. It would be great. All he has to do is yell at everybody, every now and then pop someone in a headlock and give 'em noogies. I laughed my but off when he broke into that dance on the Stiller movie. Stiller is great too. He is the hardest working man in comedy. He really tries and pulls it off about 99.9% of the time. Brilliant comedian on film. Back to Grossman.....I'm talking scorched earth mf-ers!"

June 9, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Danko Ramone

Strong, developed characters in comedy are rare. If the script is written well, this holds the potential to have the wit and bite of an original-cast SNL movie, like the Blues Brothers. Perhaps more abrasive, but Cruise can't help that Len Grossman is an abrasive person.

June 9, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. J.Johnson

Man, the movie business is going to the crapper. Role models, Hung Over, Take It to the Greek. Its like they're catering to the imblical ( animations, which I prefer), and the imbeciles! The Golden Age of Movies is really dead.

I like Cruise enough but every little silly character should not be made into a movie. Has SNL taught Hollywood as much??

June 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mystic River

sounds like another SNL-type skit that was funny the first time, for the first 3 minutes, but becomes exceedingly un-funny when blown out to 90 minutes and repeated ad nauseum. And no, Les Grossman is not an anti-Semitic character. It was a parody. The problem is that anything done without the utter gravity of Schindler's List is seen as anti-Semitic by a small segment of the Jewish population with no sense of humor. Even if Cruise's character is made to be Jewish, it's still a parody and it's not anti-Semitic. If Mel Brooks did the character, they'd probably be roaring in laughter.

June 9, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Miami

Geez, grow the F up...it's comedy and good comedy should hit a nerve cause it tells the truth! Tom was hilarious!

June 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Robrob

Frankly I never once thought about the character's religious heritage. What did that have to do with anything?

June 9, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  30. margaret hasshaw

Does anyone else see a comparison to Andy kaufman's Tony Clifton?

June 9, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. DK

Watched Tropic Thunder and thought: Who the hell is this guy? Some of the very very best acting I'd seen. The eyes – intensity redefined. No clue at that point it was Cruise. I then tried to place all great actors of our time in Grossman's shoes... I startled my wife when I exclaimed: That must be Tom Cruise!!!
    Cruise is awesome as Grossman

June 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jeff

I didnt see him as a jew in tropic thunder. Are you sure hes trying to be a jew?

June 9, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. bigduke62

Grossman is one funny motherf***er!!! I actually picture most producers in the industry as not far removed from that. I love it!!!!!

June 9, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Psycho

Timmy: "The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill ya...." Can't believe no one else got that reference. Pathetic. Good stuff!

June 9, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. me myself and not you

"isn't going anywhere anytime soon." should be isnt going away anytime soon and with that said im fine with it the character is good and T.C. doing is ok. As long as they arnt churning out remakes of my favorite movies im ok with it...

June 9, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Johnny

This is going to work out worse than a horrible SNL movie like Pat or Night at the Roxbury.

June 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  37. 1digi

It better have a camio from RDJr!

June 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. markiejoe

I found Cruise's Gross-man turn at the MTV Awards to be a rather pathetic example of an aging actor trying to stay relevant to the young and hip.

June 9, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  39. AK101010

As a Jew and harsh scientology critic, I found Cruise's performance to be INGENIOUS!! Pure entertainment!! Who the !@#@ gives a !@#@$ about religion when you have raw talent like Cruise? In a world where the highest praise goes to the actor who can stare blankly while reciting a poorly drafted script of an adapted mediocre vampire novel, it's refreshing to see talent like Cruise still kicking.

My only fear would be Grossman becoming too played out. I hope and pray Stiller and Cruise concoct another Cruise character and introduce him at the end of this feature.

June 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Psycho

Now, any you h0mos call Stan Grossman anti-semitic, and I'll kill 'ya.

June 9, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

I like how Stripes is the go-to movie for classic lines. One of my favorites.

June 9, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Francois Profitendieu

Tom Cruise is a pathetic no-talent. This character is clearly anti-semitic and he needs to go the way of Helen Thomas (who he resembles in lots of ways)

June 9, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  42. pleaseyes

Please for heavens sake DONT MUCK THIS UP HOLLYWOOD! This is brilliant, looking forward to it, BUT PLEASE for the love of GOD!!!! DOnt mess this up HOLLYWOOD!!!!!

June 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  43. thehenderson

I can't wait! The Less Grossman character was great in Tropic Thunder and on MTV the other night.

June 9, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  44. David

I enjoyed Cruise's role in Tropic Thunder, but I wonder if the gag is sufficient enough to last for an entire film.

June 9, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. J R Brown

Quoted: TFBuckFutter

If you want a shred of credibility, try a monicker that doesn't make people think you're 8 year old trailer trash.

June 9, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TFBuckFutter

Or someone who appreciated Norm McDonald's work on SNL?

June 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TFBuckFutter

Holy crap I wish I read your name before I replied the first time.

Sorry for sounding so trailer-trashy, there, J.R.

June 9, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. sonia

i thought his performance was very funny i would go see his movie

June 9, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  47. J R Brown

I'm honestly not that much of a Tom Cruise fan...after all, his movies are "I'm a hotshot...I have a crisis of faith in myself...I find my way to be a hotshot again"...but, this character was such a break from the formulaic roles his career was built upon. It was hysterical. I only hope that it fares better than when SNL tries to make movies from bit parts.

June 9, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • TFBuckFutter

Yeah. Lame middle-aged white guy dances to rap music. Nothing formulaic about that. Very original. Maybe next her can dress in a fatsuit and play a fat old woman.

June 9, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Morgan

Seems like a caricature very true to life. He's just like my landlord who demanded the first months payment, but the security, and last months payment - in CASH ! Very typical and certainly uncaring.

June 9, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. John Winger

Timmie....I want to party with you, cowboy.

June 9, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Matt

Horribly unfunny man and character.

June 9, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Duh

You know this is make believe right? It is not real, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Hmmmmm.

June 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  52. TFBuckFutter

Great. It's been awhile since Hollywood made a movie I had absolutely positively no desire whatsoever to see or hear about.

Oh wait. No it hasn't.

June 9, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  53. TD

It's spelled "Semitic."

June 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. ohsnap

Cruise is a very smart business man. Two years ago he was poison (almost). He has kept a low profile, and remade his image. He knows what he's doing alright.

June 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • akure

surely Chris Brown could use the same 'formula'

anyhow, watching Less Grossman = overconfidence personified. those hands...eugh

June 10, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  55. keith

Tom Cruise is nothing but a has-been....he needs to give it up and realize his acting isn't appealing anymore

June 9, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • evoc

Cruise will never do that, he is his own biggest fan. Next to his mom.

June 10, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  56. Billie

I know! It's so frustrating that most of the entertainment out of Hollywood is formulaic, stereotypical and worse.

June 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • the shamd

Billie and all others, just laugh at it....sensitivity to this stuff just unhealthy....the character is funny and shallow but entertaining that is the point here...nothing antisemitic about it...just plain fun...whether your Jewish, black or Latino...we have become too sensitive to subject matter that you have a choice to watch or not...personally as a Jew it doesnt offend me now if he was bashing our fallen or supporting hate that is different...but this character is just that a 2 dimensional fictional character to laugh at...lighten up people this world has enough fodder and evil to start with this guy

June 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Steve

Billie! Lighten up! It's entertainment and it's funny....

June 9, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billie

Trust me, I like escapist fare as much as the next person, but I'm pointing out that It's important for people to think criitically about what is dished out by the media. Once we accept such stereotypes, about any group, through satire, we dehumanize them. Dangerous stuff.

June 9, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Timmie

lighten up francis

June 9, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. trevorerickson

^ see, my case in point. total moron.

June 9, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billie

Seriously? Calling people names is very constructive – adds so much to the debate. It's important for people to think criitically about what is dished out by the media. Once we accept such stereotypes through satire, we dehumaize them.

June 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  60. trevorerickson

the character is satirical. it is meant to make fun of those very caricatures that you're talking about. anyone offended by it is a moron. unless you are, indeed, anti-semetic...then you should be offended. but you wont be...because you're a moron.

June 9, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Mark

"Billie" doesn't sound jewish.

June 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mark

Also Billie, how dare you defend us Jews while slandering at the same time? You defend us, then call us money grubbing jews?? Not Kosher.

June 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. TheMovieFan

Ben Stiller's father is Jewish.

June 9, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  64. willie

obviously you must be a jew. stop eating jellow. you give jews a bad name because everytime one of you plays cry baby for being mistreated and misunderstood, the rest of the kids in the sandbox think.......what a wimp! man up and get a life!!!

June 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Casey

Tom Cruise and his alter ego "Les Grossman" are hilarious. I enjoyed the movie and I enjoyed the music awards. Billie, get over yourself and have a little sense of humor. I am a Jew and I like it....guess that would make you a moron.

June 9, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  66. fillcore

Really? A stereotypical jew in Hollywood? That's what the town is made of, baby. Any jew will tell you that.

June 9, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Cathie

Billie is absolutely right. All of you who are calling him/her a moron are the morons. If you continue promoting stereotypes, stereotypes become acceptable. I know it's a hard concept for you "open-minded" types to follow, but just try.

June 10, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  68. Rick

I'll break this down in simple language for those that don't understand. He's not painting jewish folks in a bad light, he's portraying a guy that does, and making the guy look like a total schmuck. He's making an ass out of the guy he's playing that is stereotyping jewish people as fat, bald, and greedy.

June 10, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  69. Michael

I can't decide how I feel about this. A funny character? Yes. Great in small doses and as a surprise. When you're expecting it? For 2 hours? I don't think so. I already started to get tired of him during the MTV Awards, I can only imagine how much more fatigue I'll have during a full length movie. http://www.thesmogger.com

June 10, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |