June 9th, 2010

'Indiana Jones and the Bermuda Triangle?' Not so much

About those rumors that the fifth "Indiana Jones" movie will revolve around Indy and his son investigating the Bermuda triangle: A representative for Lucasfilm says the story is "false."

Stuff.co.nz first reported that the movie would start shooting next year, quoting a "source" who said that the script for the movie - which would go "back to its roots" - was "almost there" and it would begin shooting next year.

Not that the idea of a fifth movie is out of the question: In February, Harrison Ford told the BBC, "Steven [Spielberg] and George [Lucas] and I are sort of agreed on a germ of an idea and we're seeing what comes of it."

Judging by the long process that led to 2008's "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," you might not want to hold your breath waiting for the next one, if it happens at all.

On the other hand, Ford, who turns 68 next month, isn't getting any younger, so time might be of the essence.

Are you interested in seeing Ford don the famous hat one more time, or do you think "Crystal Skull" should have been the end of the saga? Post your views in the comments below.

1. John Gaunt

Firstly, the 'Crystal Ckull' had so much potential: cold war Indy? Evil Stalinist agents in the early cold-war paranoia phase? It was the perfect setup, then someone thought "hey, lets have it be interdimensional aliens!". And a gigantic dissapointment was born. The whole spiritual undertone of the earlier films gone. The action combined with mysticism was magnetic. The alien skull just floated there, unbelievable and unflushable. And embarassment to the series.

As for 'sequels', sure, maybe, if they promise NOT to do that again. But by the way people, there is no Bermuda Triangle. It was a total 1970s invention. Turns out there have been no more ship and aircraft losses there than any other heavily used stretch of coastal water in the US, a half dozen statististical surveys proved that amply.

November 18, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bella

Bermuda would be the perfect place to shoot a film like this. it's beautiful here and I am Bermudian and proud of my country. This is the kind of publicity we need.
    oh and by the way, there is no such thing as the bermuda triangle in actual fact. lol. never in my life have i heard of people disappearing like that one fluke that happened 50 years ago. I travel all the time... no alien sightings. ;)

July 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David B

If they make it, the fans of the series will watch it. I will too.

June 24, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Eric

A 5th? ABSOLUTELY. We should have gotten a 2nd trilogy out of this in the 90's as far as I'm concerned! Ford gave it ,oh, %1,000 in Crystal Skull. He's got more miles in him for this. Part of the appeal of Harrison as Indy is that when he gets hurt, you don't just believe it, you FEEL it. Ford's advancing years can be used this way to great effect. Since Crystal Skull has divided fans so badly, at least one more outing should be done to attempt to bring this saga of one of the most iconic film characters of all time to a dignified close. Hell, I started a page about it, if anyone is interested, too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/1000000-strong-for-a-5th-Indiana-Jones-Movie/110515455649549?ref=ts

June 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. eric

the fifth movie should be done however the last one the saga should end there couse not all of the main actors are getting any younger so they should hurry up nd to this movie........

June 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rempelMasters

It should have ended after "Last Crusade". You know, with them riding off into the sunset? That's the best ending you could ask for!

June 13, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Victor

Look, The Crystal Skull wasn't a bad film. Sure it had ludicrous moments (like the atom bomb bit) but overall it was a fairly good and entertaining movie. Heck, The Temple Of doom was a real stinker and people liked it. I just don't get why so many people rag on the last movie.

As for another one, I really don't think it's necessary at all. i think George and Steven gave Indy a fitting end. Besides, do we really want to risk harrison Ford getting badly hurt trying to be all macho and doing stunts he shouldn't be trying at his age?

June 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. road

I would LVOE LVOE LVOE a new indy movie... and for the record I LOVED kingdom of the crystal skull.. it was a classic indy romp and fit the time period perfectly!

June 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shelly

I am ALWAYS up for a new Indian Jones movie. If I'm not feeling it at the moment, somebody just fire up the theme music and I am so there!

June 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Arthur

....and I wasn't talking about Shia either.

June 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Arthur

Harrison was great as Indy, Crystal Skull was in my opinion the worst of the 4 and here's an idea...in the vein of James Bond; hand the hat off to a fresh new face and reboot the series all together.

June 10, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ken

The last installment of Indiana Jones was fun and anyone who says otherwise is being too critical. It is what it is...make believe. You can not look at "Crystal Skull" and pull the ridiculous card on it. If you do that then you can do the same for "Temple".. a witch doctor pulling a mans beating heart out and letting him look at it still beating, c'mon. The movies are what they are... FUN. I would love to see another HArrison Ford IJ movie, hell I would like to see one with the kid in it too. There has been many James Bonds through the years. Keep the stories coming. Especially, if it can be an original as opposed to all of these TV shows or video games made into movies.

June 10, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. FedoraDan

I would love to see another Indy movie BUT BUT BUT only if it returns to the roots that made the first two successful. The last one was so horribly cheesy it was very disappointing.

June 10, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Doug

Didn't see Crystal Skull, Last Crusade was very underwhelming and I saw it at the theater after not seeing Temple of Doom in the Theater.

So I am not excited about another lame film. Raiders was so cool...

June 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Debra

I would like to see one more Indiana Jones movie
    I have a 4 year old that is totally enthralled with the Indiana Jones movies, WII and Indiana Jones legos
    One more movie would by nice

June 10, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  16. Katie

Yes Yes Yes another Indiana is better than no Indiana

June 10, 2010 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  17. Charlotte Kaminski

The Crystal Skull should be the end. It doesn't stand up to the first two movies. If you want to see Harrison Ford, watch his movies on DVD. I saw the jacket he wears in the first movies at a Smithsonian exhibit in San Jose, California. Stop making movies before it gets worse than it already is.

June 10, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. Zehra

A fifth will be great! I am a great fan of Indiana Jones and would love seeing his son, Shia, to be the next Indy in the making. the fourth movie was not bad, there were so many films showing that there are aliens who are more intelligent than humans. It was not a flop after all so I will look forward to the next one, and yes! Bermuda Triangle is a great Idea. or the Deep Blue maybe.

June 10, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. podunkle

Let it die

June 10, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Laoshih

The kingdom of the crystal skull was the worst piece of crap to ever come out of George Lucas' bunghole after the three other Star Wars turds first emerged from the stinky hole that he calls his imagination. If there is another Indiana Jones movie, then let us pray to the powers that be that George Lucas is NOT connected to the production in any way, shape or form or it will be Indiana Jones meets Jar-Jar Binks in the Bermuda Triangle...hold on a moment while I barf all over my computer...{walllrrraaalllllfffffBaaaarrrrrrfffffff!} LOL

June 10, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  21. Larry Wilson

Well, I think it's pretty safe to say that Shia LeBoeuf will not be back as Indy's son. No major loss; AFAIC, the guy's grossly overrated.

As for whether they should make another one, definitely not! They shouldn't have even made the last one.

June 9, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Vo1

Just don't break a certain group of laws- the laws of physics. All these movies become stupid when you no longer can say "It COULD happen." Even if its a .00000000001% chance thats ok. But when its riding out an A BOMB in a fridge thats just dumb. And how about killing the snake instead of a live snake. Or the ant scene- there were numerous ways to make ity more clever- they just dropped the ball.

June 9, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Odalice Feliz as "Harley Quinzel"

I really hope that they make the movie 'Indiana Jones and the Bermuda Triangle" My father talks about the mysterious triangle as a toilet..lol that sucks ships even planes right in, never to see them again!!!! is located at the caribbean....also known as the devil's triangle......very misterious.... the disappearances of surface vessels and aircrafts sujest that these paranormal activities should be investigated and a cool movie about it would just help scientist learn more about it.

I saw 2008 "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," I think it was good but it wasn't mysterious enough, didn't really scare me.

June 9, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Meep

A new Indiana Jones couldnt be any worse then the other crap they make these days.

June 9, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Harold Brookstone

I really well written and filmed INdiana Jones would be awesome. The last one was mediocre. I have some great ideas if Spielberg and Lucas want to hire me. I can write three more excellent Star Wars movies too!

June 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. D Bodden

I love Indiana Jones! While I agree "Doom" and "Skull" were not so good, "Raiders" and "Cruisade" were EXCELLENT. I would certainly love to see another one. I don't care how old Harrison Ford is. He is perfect in that role. Just no more copying off X-Files, please?

June 9, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Buef

Like Bond, Jones should go on forever, but a new lead is needed, Harrison Ford will always be most people's favorite (Like Connery as Bond) but others could pull it off now, time to pass the torch without a sidekick youngster.

June 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Brian

Crystal Skull could have been better, they jumped the shark too many times. Ford is nearing the age of Indiana's father, and any story should reflect that I think. He should get drawn into the story. In the mean time they can lose Lebuef in the triangle before filming. Get a good story first, get good actors that make you believe their lives interconnect, Finally get believable villians. With the right story and actors the series can continue even after Harrison Ford hangs up his hat and whip.

June 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Skimmer21

Why not 'Crystal Skull' was a fun ride and there is no one else that can ware the "Indiana Jones" hat. A fifth movie could end with his retirement in an interesting way.

June 9, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Liz

I really didn't enjoy 'Crystal Skull', and so I feel that it is important for Harrison to remedy this by ending on a good note. That means that he should definitely pull it together for one last film.
    But this is coming from someone who thinks that he should take one more stab at Han Solo before his movie days are done.

June 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jenn

Make the movie! I would love to see it!!

June 9, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Bluebird

I thought the first and third "Indiana Jones" movies were good so perhaps #5 will be fine. They need to stick close to the spirit of the first film.

June 9, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Heyoka060606

Mr. Ford as the lead in an action-adventure film ? I really hate to say it, but Mr. Ford is past his prime for the lead in such a movie. He seemed pretty shaky in the last Indiana Jones film.

June 9, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MochaB

Stop hating peeps

June 9, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Lucky Horshoe

George and Steven should store their "germ" of an idea in a warehouse where the Ark was stored – it'll be safe from marauding the big screen for an eon.

June 9, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh D

Hilariously well said. That last movie was a stinker....absolutely embarrassing.

June 9, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Joselito Paz, Jr.

Even though he's going to be 68 years old, I still want him to be in an another Indiana Jones Movie. Why because the last 4 movies were awesome!
    P.S. Advance Happy Birthday!

June 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. martywalpole

Another Indiana Jones? I think not. It is time to let Indiana Jones enter cinematic history. It was a great ride and made Harrison Ford the star that he is today. Ford is now too old to be playing the role and having some other actor as an Indiana Jones "Junior" would be suicide from a business point of view. Nope, let Indiana Jones retire like an undefeated boxer – always remembered and never forgotten.

June 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  38. W.

Yeah English isn't my main language, hence the awkward (at times) phrasing and spelling/grammar mistakes.

June 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heyoka060606

Your English is very good !

June 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • CM

As an American it's really embarrassing when non-native English speakers apologize for writing better than most native speakers do. I can only imagine what the average American's attempt to write a comment like yours in a second language would look like... you've nothing to apologize for!

June 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  39. W.

Crystal Skull was plain bad. Seriously they tried to drawn in the younger audience with the macho hotshot kid, the older audience with the rekindled romance and the SF fans with the Temple turned UFO. It failed. Badly in my opinion. From the opening with the Atom Bomb test and the fridge I kinda knew (although I didn't want to admit it) that the movie would be worse than any of the other 3.

So if they do make a new one (and they should, the franchise has potential but only with Ford in the lead) they should make it soon. In 5+ years he won't be able to pull off the action hero role anymore and he will look ridiculous trying. Which is too bad because I do like him as an actor, but I fear he may be past his prime when it comes to acting. Indiana Jones is one of the few avenues still open to him to connect with the newer generations.

June 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

If anyone can make it happen, it is Harrison Ford. He has done some thrillers that didn't really require too much action and I really enjoyed them. As far as connecting to a newer audience, I am 22 and am a huge fan of Harrison Ford. I really don't think that age is yoo much of a factor in Action movies. He won't be playing a young role anymore that's for sure, but dilemmas do not happen to the young alone, and his age and difficulty overcoming challenges can be utilized.

June 9, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luke

'Crystal Skull' feels like a blood relative to the other films..........it has a similar tone/style. I'm surprised any true Indy fan wouldn't like it – we get to meet up with our old pals, and make a a few new ones. I have to agree anyone who "hates" it is obviously being overly critical, or had inflated expectations that were impossible to meet.

If they give it an honest effort........why wouldn't you want to see Indy back on the screen again?

June 12, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • brandan

I'd love to see that old man hustle his ass on some last hurrah adventure. They could end it with the 'Young Indy" taking over like in the super cool TV show from the 90s. It would at least bring the epic full circle. Hey, I'm a dork

November 17, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |