June 8th, 2010

MTV apologizes for Movie Awards profanity

MTV awards shows have never had a reputation for clean language. But as critics have pointed out, Sunday night’s Movie Awards was more profane than usual.

According to THR, one reviewer caught over 100 swear words for the two-hour ceremony, with only some of them caught by the censors. It was so noticeable that "Twilight" star Peter Facinelli started his acceptance speech for the Best Movie award on behalf of the "New Moon" cast by saying, "I've never heard the word [expletive] used so many times in one evening," before proceeding to use the curse word as often as possible (except when thanking Stephenie Meyer, because she's Mormon).

As a result, the network has issued a statement of apology, “to those in our audience who were offended by any objectionable words that might have slipped by for the live airing.”

The Movie Awards, MTV said, “is a live televised event known for irreverent comedy and a party atmosphere where our guests speak more freely than they otherwise might. While we aired the live broadcast with a delay, we were unable to mute every word that some might find objectionable.”

Of course, the network added, “all of these words will be muted in subsequent airings.”

Filed under: movies • television

1. visit my site

You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation however I to find this matter to be actually one thing that I feel I'd by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your subsequent put up, I will try to get the grasp of it!

September 22, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. DC VA Emergency Board up

Thanks for some other wonderful post. Where else could anybody get that kind of information in such an ideal means of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

June 4, 2012 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. MadCityBabe

Believe me MTV used to be cool..............now it's a smudge of excrement!

September 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. collin

who cares;grow up; its TV and live... what do you expect?

September 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Erica

Don't they apologize every year? Yeah...sorry MTV, doesn't really mean anything anymore.

September 14, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. gerry

What kind of network allows this kind of trash talk. Great example for kids. I turned it off and won't be watching next year. What a low life, lame show.

September 13, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Anonymous

What I don't understand here is that people under-estimate young people. I'm 13 and I choose not to curse, I choose not to watch things that are inappropriate. My parents are great and they trust me. I know that MTV is known for this rude language and anyone who watched this knows that this was going to happen. But, from what I understand, they took the profanity to a new level. Everyone has the right to be agry at MTV.

June 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nina

I've been watching MTV and VHI since they came on the air. MTV is correct in apologizing...the BLEEPING was annoying and took away from the show. If it doesn't make the show any "better" then why bother doing it so much or at all. Same goes for Kathy Griffin's (whom I love) last night...not one of best and the profanity didn't make it any "better".

June 9, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. menotyou

Ignorance is not being able to communicate effictively without using foul language every other sentence. MTV just panders to the self indulgent crowd with no depth of thought.

June 9, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jay2kool

HELLLLLOOOOOO! people really? in this generation kids curse nd use slang and many many worse things then MTV . u guys are acting like u never heard profanity. children of this age curse more than adults can in a year daily. leave MTV alone because they were all adults being who they want to be, you guys have no right to judge them. MTV was atleast trying to cover up all the foul language with the "bleep button" so give them sum support. if you have such a big problem then just change the channel you tdr766&*^%54h dimwit!

June 9, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. WinterClover

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Plain and simple. They shouldn't have to appoligize to all the people with sticks up their @#$es.

June 9, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. seibold@uniformmedia.com

"event known for irreverent comedy and a party atmosphere" – well, there you go.
    MTV shaped my views growing up, now I'm just embarrassed for them.

June 9, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. john mercado

Oh.. so it's profanity that's ruining the world, my ##!! bad, I though it was the religious. Hats off to whoever figured this out and put controls on it.

June 9, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. mojo

I stopped watching this crap when they started giving music awards to people who can't sing, read music or play an instrument. All they can do is talk in rhyme in time to music which any 4 y/o child can do (while jumping rope – which these morons probably can't do). Their concept for music success – find a thug, put him on a stage, call him a star, watch the dimwits buy his non-music because they aspire to be the thug that his music glorifies.

June 9, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Walter J. Murdock

Dick Cheney can tell a Senator to F' himself? And MTV can't appeal to their middle school audience? Geez!

June 9, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bob F.

I haven't watched MTV in years. I've no ax to grind. It's just that since they moved away from music videos, their programming is boring beyond belief. I'd rather watch paint dry.

June 9, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  17. Really?

Who cares? This isn't the 1950s; get over it.

June 9, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  18. Beck

MTV makes me want to smoke crack........

June 9, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  19. ballz

To all whiners who dont like dirty words: wahhh

June 9, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  20. Lolz

People still watch these award? I think what MTV should be apologizing for is the crappy shows they put out year after year. That's the real crime.

June 9, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  21. Brandy

It was hilarious!! My kids watch the Nickelodeon awards, not MTV..that was mama's show! I about died when Faccinelli spewed out all of those F-Bombs and the mute monkey kept muting the next word instead...classic!

June 9, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jason

I do not understand why people who hate these things watch them. I mean, are you so bored that you have to watch things and listen to things that you know will offend you just so you have something to complain about? GET A LIFE and go out and do something less offensive to you while this is going on OR and this is the most novel idea anyone has ever had. CHANGE THE CHANNEL. OMG the revelation of choice. Shut up and move on from offensive material. Stop trying to censor what others may find just fine. What you do in your house totally up to you, what I do in mine, NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Stop covering my ears and eyes, I'm a bog boy now and I get to make all my own decisions.

June 9, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  23. S

So what if they cursed? Nobody forced anyone to watch. It wasn't regular television, it was cable people. Let it go.

June 9, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  24. DLK

I think it's all about standards and quality. The show was very well done with great talent...but the language really lowered the quality of the show. It made it feel like a bunch of school children trying to sound cool infront of their freinds rather than an bunch talented professonals presenting their skills.

June 9, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  25. Memphis Bill

MTV is a pay to view channel. If you don't pay for cable or sat. you can't watch. That being said, they don't have to censor any of their show, and I don't know why they still try. MTV, leave the show alone and let it play out. If people are offended, so what. They are still going to watch, just so that they can be offended.

June 9, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • MTV was good when they played music

Not true. I stopped watching MTV over 4 years ago.

June 9, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jessica

Does anyone over the age 25 even watch MTV? Seems like very few MTV watchers would have been offended by the excessive bleeping

June 9, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  27. FLV

They are just words or more accurately adjectives, who cares? they are part of the English language.

People get so uptight it silly. Like in this post I can post "Gosh Darn It"... but everyone knows what is really being said, but because I switched the words it makes it ok. Silly isn't it.

In the end there are always people who's moral compass supersedes their logic so this will always be an issue.

June 9, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  28. SHAG

Get over it. It's a cable station and it was marked with the TV14 rating. Cuss words are the least of my worries these days. If it offended you that much you could have changed the channel. If your kids watch Degrassi, LOL... yeah, cuss words are the least of your problems too.

June 9, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  29. Gen

It has become the new adjective of the decade. It is the lazy person's way to describe something. The English language is a lost art. I am curious, do other languages use the "f" word as much as Americans do? Someone enlighten me please. And thank you.

June 9, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  30. Bill

Why is America soooo prude...PEOPLE SWEAR/CURSE!!! Why do people in America pretend on television that they are all PERFECT and do NOT swear/curse! So prude....it's ridiculous. If someone says the F word on TV in America or if a BOOB is shown it's SOOO scandalous........so ridiculous.

June 9, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  31. Director of Television Programming

Actually, MTV should apologize for the garbage they run and get back to actual music.

June 9, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  32. NYCHDR

I remember cursing used to be cool...let me think....that one yea in jr high....MTV is trying to hard to be coo although some of the skits were pretty funny

June 9, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  33. MoeSyszlak

Who the hell cares? If MTV really wants to apologize, they need to apologize for "Jersey Shore".

June 9, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  34. Lolz

People still watch these awards? I think MTV should be apologizing for putting out crappy shows year after year. That's the real crime.

June 9, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  35. saltandlight

And the downward spiral continues...

June 9, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  36. Taog

People need to lighten up. Getting your knickers in a bunch over "naughty" words is ridiculous. On the other hand, I can't imagine anyone enjoying MTV's vapid programming, unless maybe a lobotomy is involved.

June 9, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  37. fuhkkmaster

hey go get that witch for cursing! oh wait thats right its 2010 not the 1800's anymore. get over it. theres no such thing as a bad word. to believe in profanity is ridiculous. cant believe at this age in society we r still worried about words!!! why r u so offended by words? why does certain words being said bother you? do your ears bleed when u hear them? why do they harm you so much? what is the big deal!??? when i have kids they will be taught that it is ok and acceptable to say any word they want whenever and wherever they want. live and let live. if u dont like something walk away from it. dont make it a life goal to eliminate it so others cant enjoy it. these are my beliefs. they are not better than yours just as urs r not better than mine. but seriously why the fuhkk does fuhkk fuhkking bother the fuhkk outta ya? shiiiiit............

June 9, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  38. trouble

I stopped watching MTV years ago. The shows that they have on there are very tasteless and crude. You don't have to have people swearing on a show to make it more appealing to yhe viewers. I don't go around everyday people that I know that every other word out of there mouth is a swear word. Those seem to be the kind of people that are always negative about things in there life. If I had kids I would not let them watch MTV every and I would check to make sure that the friends house they are going to isn't allowed to watch it either or they wouldn't be allowed to go there. I never watch that kind of stuff when I was growing up and I turned out perfectly fine. MTV apologizing didn't mean a thing. They were aware what was going to happen and the let it happen. These same people would of been at the Oscaras they never would of been swearing like that and we all know it............

June 9, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  39. rAdam82

It makes me sick that our puritanical society needs to constantly be apologized to. I want more vulgarity and profanity on television, make actually convince me to turn it on.

June 9, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  40. Mike

Don't be fooled. MTV has no remorse. They knew it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

FCC should make it simple for them and bill them $1million per profanity. Then send the $100 million to the gulf coast fishermen who lost their livelihoods thanks to BP.

June 9, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  41. M

Who cares that they cussed?! its MTV, they always cuss! if u dont wanna hear cuss words then dont watch MTV!

June 9, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  42. jimmyhoffa

Wait let me get this right!!!! PEOPLE STILL WATCH MTV???? I stopped when the videos stopped!!!

June 9, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  43. Pitt Cairn

Folks used to use being clever to get attention. Now they're just profane, because clever is hard to come by these days.

June 9, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  44. hilreal

Are Sarah Palin or one of her siblings program director these days? When Sarah's knocked up daughter is getting paid $10,000 per gig to speak about abstinense how can you expect better from MTV? Only in America!

June 9, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • OKx3

Batter steps up to the plate, pitcher swings, batter connects... oh, foul ball. What?!

June 9, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • OKx3

I meant pitcher "throws", my point is you fail, and I failed trying to point that out. You still fail more though.

June 9, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  45. OKx3

The show was sponsored by Orbit Gum ... the intent was to swear through the entire broadcast. "Dirty mouth? Clean it up?" Everyone is getting worked up about something that was cleverly, or not so much, planned.

June 9, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  46. really?

Would this even be a conversation if they did have an apology? Unless some people actually did turn the channel when they were watching it, maybe you'd complain. The only reason they apologized is because of the horrible editing that cant censor during live TV. The same amount of swearing goes on during the Jersey Shore, Real World marathons they play constantly, yet they dont apologize for that. You probably hear the same amount of *bleeps* in the commercials for these shows through out the day and people still watch it.

June 9, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  47. Kathy from No. VA

It's why I NEVER watch any of their shows, MTV is part of the problem with our culture today.

June 9, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  48. Cookybaby

The real issue with swearing is not the words themselves, but when and where they are inserted in speech. The real issue with MTV is not swearing-which I love-but a complete lack of intelligence. 16 and Pregnant? Not going to find much depth of knowledge there....Silent Library (think that's the name..)? The point is, MTV is not even in the ballpark of "classic cool" anymore. They are much more akin to a spastic monkey hitting the offensive button and throwing their own feces....pathetic.

June 9, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

You make your point QUITE well. I completely agree!
      And your final image regarding the monkey throwing their own feces... Drives the point home an a colorful and memorable way!

June 9, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  49. OldFart

I remember when we heard people speak in that manner, we considered their level of education and overall intelligence.
    In cases like this, we considered both to be non-existent.
    I'm no saint and my language at times is colorful, but there is a time, place and context for profanity. Times such as when one hammers ones' thumb, times such as "get that #^@%! machine gun set up and cover that &@%! hill!
    To quote Shakespeare;
    Take up the bodies.—Such a sight as this
    Becomes the field, but here shows much amiss.

June 9, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  50. Ian

Does anyone even still bother to watch MTV any more? And why would they, the station broadcasts nothing but garbage now. If anyone's tastes in entertainment are so lowbrow that they'd actually be watching anything on MTV, then I can't imagine that a bit of swearing would bother them.

June 9, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • HILREAL

I can't believe that anyone over the age of 16 or with an education beyond the 10th grade spends more than a few minutes a week watching MTV anymore. Remeber when the M stood for "music"? I think Jerry Springer must be their program director these days:)

June 9, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  51. nyc

I can FORGIVE MTV for allowing Cursing on TV

What I CAN'T FORGIVE THEM FOR is SNOOKI

June 9, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  52. wcb2009

I'd rather see the eloquent actors step up and apologize.

Profanity doesnt bother me unless my children are sitting with me. In this case, the awards were presented at a time which the majority watching were kids.

June 9, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  53. Eric

I am a 30 year old male that went to a large public college, partied hard, cursed like a sailor, and yet now that I am 30 and still use profanity occassionaly among friends or co-worker's, I watched the show and realized it was way over the top. It is about growing up and doing what is right. I have a 2 year old daughter and you better F***ing believe that she won't be watching this show when she is a teenager if it continues like this. I assume most of you who thought this was funny are still in college or younger, or you have a kid that beats up the honor roll students and will be serving my food or cleaning my house when they are 40. MTV knows they crossed the line and if you don't see it, then F*** you!

June 9, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  54. WhyNot?

If your worrying about kids watching T.V then stop letting them acess to it...THERE ARE CHANNEL LOCKS!!!!!!!!.....Realy? come one now....Let the kid be a gamer...Heck i lost my kid to drug battle....I'd rather my kid be inside alllll day every day playing games working at some crppy McDonnalds and living with my still then being out 24/7 begging for money buying drugs....Games kids distracted so let it be....Gamesi think were invented to keep a kid addicted for a reason ..to slow the rate of age kids take drugs

June 9, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  55. Killer Bees

Sh1! F*-% Satan Death S3X Drugs Rap3...these 7 words your trying to take!
    Sh1! F*-% Satan Death S3X Drugs Rap3...these 7 words your trying to take!
    America the beautiful, America the great....
    America the land of...Hypocracy!

June 9, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  56. ghostie

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you wouldn't say it in front of your grandmother, don't say it at all. Besides which, if you can never seem come up with a less profane/more intelligent way to speak, then you're telling everyone around you that you have no class, and no respect for others. Guess what? When everything out of your mouth is profanity, people are looking at you and thinking "Wow, what a fool."

June 9, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  57. TheOldMan

@Casey
    I have bin alive for almsot 65 years and by the time i hit 11 all my friends and kids older have bin curseing their heads off. T.v, Games and ect. are not the problems that behold our childs future. Its the parents , surronding adults and other kids who swear and cuss infront of your child. Before you make any judgment make sure you think before the say. I repeat my self once more......Your mouth and any other adult can dirty a kids mind....My kid has not even cursed infront of me or i have not even cursed infront of him..Not hard to raise a child when you use your brain..O and another thing..Moms who are scared with a new born, please dont be. Because other people who have or had babies know how to handle them.. And Dad's stop litting your wife urning you into a wuss..time to act manly and not get pushed. round .A controled relationship is two that dont fight and arent bossy..

June 9, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • OldFart

Thank you for your point, whatever it may be.
      Your assault and battery upon the english language is of such severity as to become a cautionary legend, to be told to young children in order to keep them abed.
      Your liberal abuse of the punctuation marks has worn the labels from the keys.
      En toto, one can only assume you are NOT 65, but 5 years old.
      For a 65 year old CERTAINLY knows what EARN is, as well as URN.
      The former is a reward for one's works, whereas the latter is what dear Aunt Emma's remains rest in on the mantle.

June 9, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  58. DLenehan56

MTV is grasping at straws.
    They have nothing left that makes them relevant.
    Perhaps if they started playing MUSIC on their MUSIC TELEVISION, people would have a real reason to tune in.

June 9, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  59. simple and clean XOXO

Nice READING skills Ian. Thats not what she said. Way to hate. Try commenting when you actually are a parent.

June 9, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  60. Jenny

Let's face it...the sense is that it's deemed cool to be crude...so celebs who normally stow the profanity elsewhere let it all hang out on MTV because they want to be perceived as being cool. Why? So they'll gain acceptance by that market segment spending money on attending their movies. Grabbing that market share is what's on their minds and that's why ALL the biggest stars show up at this MTV event. It's money in their bank account, end of story, so anything goes...and usually does.

June 9, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  61. Phito11

MTV has been pure garbage for many years now, blame the people in charge. It is a true reflection of the morals of those at the top of this network. What is mostly sad about this station is that it's core audience is children.
    Parents need to take responsibility and simply block this mind numbing, IQ lowering garbage of a station. Until we do, the executives in charge will continue to put out the same sewage that has dominated this channel for what has been way too long.

June 9, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  62. The^v^Bat

Maybe it's about time that eMpTyV called it quits.

June 9, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  63. MontanaTrace

I will quit watching MTV. It is banned for my children (6, 8 and 10).

June 9, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

yeah, because 8 year olds should be watching MTV to begin with

good parenting skills there turbo

June 9, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  64. simple and clean XOXO

The 10 year olds and younger right now... Millenium babies. protect them.. they will impact the world and make changes for the better. but not for another 5-10 years :)

June 9, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  65. simple and clean XOXO

maybe if 90% of the world werent dummied up with man made pills to "take the edge off" or sooth a depressed soul or help with URGES and anger or HELP THESE PEOPLE FOCUS better!!! ....// gee, I wonder why kids these days arent right in the head// If enough people would FEEL an emotion (like humas do) and CARE about something. Fight for it. Have PRIDE and RESPECT and Honor this great Country, it might be something good again in the future.

June 9, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  66. Ian

Jay... what rock have you been living under? The minds of the youth are already corrupt and MTV is not to blame.

All the same, I laugh at MTV for what a pathetic programming station they have become.

I WANT MY MTV BACK

June 9, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  67. Iam

why is anyone shocked? Why is anyone expecting better from MTV?

instead of apologizing for cursing I want an apology for still being called MTV when there is no M

June 9, 2010 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  68. Jay

After this event, MTV is completely blockec from all of my TVs and will NEVER, NEVER be wwatched again in my house, my business and I will never recommend anyone to watch anything on this network.

It is a disgrace and is corrupting the minds of our youth. They should be ashamed at what they are subjecting these young people to.

Shame on you MTV.

June 9, 2010 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  69. simple and clean XOXO

Im so sad. There are no more LADIES or GENTLEMEN. People will be going to museums to see what one looked like. We are losing our minds people. Get it together and realize we are destroying our own CIVILIZATION. It is YOUR fault, all who let this happen and are indifferent about it. It starts with YOU.

June 9, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  70. jt

I didn't watch it, nor did my kids, but honestly....who cares? My kids hear worse than that on a daily basis at school and from neighborhood kids. I'm not saying its all right but seriously.......

June 9, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  71. SS

What about the time when parents were role models and weren't relying on TV to raise their kids. Maybe all of the people complaining about how awful TV is should get off the couch/computer once in a while and go hang out with their kids and have a positive impact on their kids lives.

June 9, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  72. tlaw

Really, what'd you expect from the hollywood/entertainment crowd, high-culture and class?
    Just more of the continuing degrading of American society in general and across the board from the mainstream American media, everything from TV to music to movies to theatre; and apparently even our esteemed vice-president and president now feeling it's OK to swear in front of the world. Is anyone out there thinking about the effect of all this on our children? Our future leaders of this country and the world? We're raising them in a culture of borishness, egotism and vulgarity. Is it any wonder that we are rapidly declining as a great power while at the same time much of the world feels threatened by all this crap in our language and arts that we export across the globe? We've become our own worst enemy because we now consider it the politically correct thing to always defer to the lowest common denominator in eveything in our cultural life, whether it's the language we now consider acceptable or the bottom-of-the-barrel educational standards we consider the norm in our schools. God help America, a mere shadow of what it used to be. Study Chinese, people, under which flag we'll be living in a few decades as we continue to spiral into mediocrity.
    Where's Mother Teresa when we really need a genuine hero to show us how to live and how to conduct ourselves?

June 9, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  73. KD

Most of these people have no talent and are there because someone got them there
    They swear for attention,most end up nameless in 5 years or drug out with problems
    could never be a role model to anyone except themselves

June 9, 2010 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  74. Ricardo

who cares!!!!!!!

June 9, 2010 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  75. Pamela

I recall a time when MTV was actually..... you know, entertaining.

June 9, 2010 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  76. karen

I think if everybody stopped watching what rating would they have than it would be canceled of the air. Problem solved

June 9, 2010 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  77. james

Well, I'm amazed that there appears to even be a limit to the tolerance of such an audience. I would assume that anything associated with MTV is profanity-ridden and morally devoid.

June 9, 2010 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  78. AesopsRetreatCom

Change the channel? How brilliant for a cooked mind. Is that anything like saying (after a headon collision) if you don't like my driving get out?

June 9, 2010 at 4:50 am | Report abuse |
  79. AesopsRetreat

June 9, 2010 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  80. MoeSyszlak

If MTV wants to apologize for anything, they should apologize for "Jersey Shore". What a pile of crap.

June 9, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  81. David

MTV is a classless load of refuse. And apparently so is Facinelli. But then I guess any organization that airs a "Hills: The Aftershow" should be doused in gasoline, set alight, and then bombed.

June 9, 2010 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
    • jay2kool

hey genius, dis is MTV's first time doing this so dont blame them for children acting the way they do, it's the adults fault for using such language around us, its the adults fault for exposing the children outside of home to the real world where profanity is an everyday custom. everyone curses, 20, 40, 12, 5 years old! the world is not going to end because of MTV's ONE mistake

June 9, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  82. shirley knight

MTV CHANNEL WILL NOT BE WATCH IN OUR HOME. THIS IS OUR RIGHTS !!!! THIS SHOWS WHY THE YOUTH ACTS THE WAY THEY DO. THERE ARE NO MORE RESPECTS TO EACH OTHERS.

June 9, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  83. Rick Koening

(speaking AS the lords of the underworld; FLIPPING the power of intercessory prayer to vanquish a foe) Mighty Jesus, I call on you to K I L L us legion of demons who control such content, who advance Satanic agenda. DECIMATE our efforts. Open the minds of ALL those who we would otherwise corrupt. Help them to see through this pathetic pageantry. Diminish the luster of any "stars" that we have poured considerable resources into. Let the vainglorious fall into utter ruin and put an end to their being idolized. Snap people out of our brainwashing techniques. BRIDLE our marketing savvy. Muzzle our trickery. Snap the "beautiful people" out of their stupor; Those who have sold their souls to us, we release them in the name of Jesus Christ, for HE is God incarnate. Punish affiliates along this demonic food chain who would prey upon unformed minds. Send us back to the pit of Hades, forever bound. Please allow formerly sold-out sinners to become Christian converts. Whatever power we've acquired, we hereby relinquish it ALL, ENTIRELY, unto those who champion RIGHTEOUSNESS. Guardian Angels and Heavenly Host, PLUNGE YOUR DAGGERS INTO THE PUPPETS OF THE ILLUMINATI. Slay us, without mercy. Amen and Amen.

June 9, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  84. darknessangel

Oh noes! My virgin ears. I shall never be the same again. Evil, evil MTV! >_>

June 9, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  85. Mike H.

It's my hope that Big Brother (government) doesn't get involved with this issue as it did with the Jackson/Timberlake performance. If one wishes to express himself/herself with four-letter words, then so be it. That way we all have an opportunity to see what a classless, likely uneducated, person he or she is.

I tend to avoid TV shows, movies and songs that feature "artists" who blantantly disregard the public's interest by using vulgar language. It's a small effort, but it's important to me. I generally find vulgar language to be much like body odor. It's something I try to avoid.

June 9, 2010 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  86. jeffrey root

"Fun Fun Fun in the fluffy chair
    Flame up the herb
    Woof down the beer"

June 9, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  87. Odalice Feliz

I found the show very funny! weird because it's filled with new people, but funny.

June 9, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  88. Dorothy Gimmett

People watch MTV still? Ha ha ha ha ha. Really? Oh, come on. You're kidding, right. It's still on the air? What about Thicke of the Night? Is that still on the air, too?

June 9, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  89. Tom

Who the hell watches MTV anymore?

June 9, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • JKSkins30

A lot of idiotic kids between the ages of 12-17 who weren't born yet when MTV actually played videos and was still relevant.

June 9, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  90. Mose

personally could care less, havent watched Mtv since they stopped actually playing music and started doing and i laugh as i dare say the word "reality" tv programming, anyone who actually believes there is anything real and not scripted in the shows deserves to watch such nonsense
    saw the artical and figured i would enjoy in what i hope will be the downfall of such a waste of time and creativity

June 9, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  91. ONECARLOS

MTV = Freedom :)

June 9, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  92. Dottie

MTV's awards show has always, ALWAYS been rife with crude humor, language and inuendo. If you don't like that, don't want your children exposed to it then why are you and they watching MTV. So much of the music these days, especially rap music is filled with this kind of language. If you think your kids haven't heard these words then you are living in a fantasy world. As for Peter Facinilli acceptance speech I thought it was more satirical, take a poke at the show in general. Think about it in a rational way, instead of posting a knee jerk reaction and being judgemental.

June 9, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  93. Big Al

Profanity and slang are the counterfeit currencies of a bankrupt vocabulary. But it does not matter. MTV is irrelevant in the entertainment world. There are thousands of places one can go to choose ones own videos (remember when MYV showed videos?) and not have one's taste decided by a select few. Forget MTV. The foul language was deliberate in order to cause a stir.

June 9, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  94. ballzack

F_ck.

June 9, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  95. Spockanator

Use of excessive profanity is an example of neanderthal intelligence. But then moviestars were never blessed with a brain, its the only job they could do besides parking cars.

June 9, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  96. heycletus

i think an apologiy means you're really sorry and will never do it again...we shall see...

June 9, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  97. cathy r

Who cares, If you dont like it dont watch.

June 9, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  98. Simon Phoenix

It doesn't really matter because with or without the profanity MTV would still be really less musci television and more of a lifestyle channel that is awful and really not worth watching.

June 9, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  99. Gerry

MTV is responsible for ruining the next generation. Look at the content they teach little girls to be like girls on the Hills and teen Crbs making kids have unrealistic views of life. Money is surely the root of all evil. MTV is the devil.

June 8, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  100. JB

How sad it is when a nation begins to show signs of moral decline that instead of wanting to protect her reputation and uphold her integrity, the people say change the channel, or comment on how they enjoyed the show. What happened to being a Christian nation? If it weren't for our parents and grandparents who demanded decency in the media, we would have x-rated programming during prime time. I am 40 something and when I was young I was taught not to do or say anything which would embarrass the family name. Today's young works to do all they can to destroy their family name or to bring shame upon it. My heart is truly broken as I cry for our country and our future. I will continue to say prayers and will beg God almighty to remember the good we have done and to forgive the ignorant as they still do not know what they do.

June 8, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Duds

Where's the apology for the actual show? The cursing didn't bother me, but the show itself sucked.

June 8, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  102. JDawg1

Is this the awards show where the black people like to fight each other?

June 8, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Jon Doe

How about saying sorry for the Jersey Shore, maybe say sorry for not playing music anymore or good cartoons....

This isn't the 1930's no one gives a damm....

June 8, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Caroll

The whole thing in a nutshell is that the people using these F-bombs think they are funny or edgy. Maybe they do it for shock value. However, there's no longer ANY shock value because everyone uses it for as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, an any other form of grammar. Actually, they are just showing their lack of creativity, because they have no better way to express themselves without using profanity. It shows a distinct lack of vocabulary. The words may be commonplace now, but all that indicates is how low our general citizenry has sunk.

June 8, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Nana

Swearing is not entertaining. It's disrespectful. To those who thinks it's okay to swear, I hope when you have kids, they will swear a lot in front of your face.

June 8, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Chris

come on mtv and celebrities....the award show was the worst ever. too much profanity...they are trying to look and act cool by cussing....come on...grow up! it was totally not acceptable. mark wahlberg and will farrell need to apologize to the young british actor they interrupted during his speech! it was not funny....kayne west last september was enough!!!!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Eric

I didn't think anyone still watched MTV!

June 8, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Buzzwoman

Swearing is uninteresting and the sign of a person with a weak vocabulary. Buy a dictionary and educate yourself! Anyone can resort to the same old list of profanities. It's boring and lame.

June 8, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Joel K

Gollly Wallly is nice expression.

On a serious note...to all you young people that want to get a job and gain immediate respect amongst us "older people" all you have to do is show some manners....it's sooooooo simple.

June 8, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marylandgirl

I am part of the "younger generation" that graduated college and found a job with "older people" and my boss lets words slip all the time...not me. So excuse me for being respectful to you "older people" when its coming for you as well. Please dont be offened when you see us "younder generation" in your office :) But manners are sooooo simple right? Before you blame younger people for all the issues please don't forget that mirror you hold.

June 9, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  110. Travis Salmons

Listen, who cares if they cuss. All you people do is cry when u hear a cuss word. It is all about fun, so stop crying about everything little thing that happens that you don't like. It's people like you that make the world bad. Turn the freaking channel if you dont like it. AND STOP CRYING ABOUT IF SOMEONE CUSSES.
    PLUS. IT WAS BEEPED OUT SO STOP WHINEING !

June 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Karen

MTV SUCKS!

June 8, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  112. seazlaurel

I've started saying, oh my gosh, darn and jeez louise etc. instead of swearing, I am shocked at how many people comment, like I am saying something as shocking as a swear. Language is a gift, use it wisely ;)

June 8, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Domingo Toribio

hahah... so many f$%#@ in one night hahah... i'll never 4get that..

June 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  114. CA

MTV is no longer music TV, and swearing is offensive....and YES I can change the channel, and YES I and thousands like me DO change the channel. Sadly, even ole Walt Disney is putting out stuff that would make ole' Walt turn over in his grave. Why are so many proud to have NO MORALS???

June 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Joel K

MTV is pointless...I know that I am getting older but there is absolutly nothing on MTV that I would waste my time watching. Last week I tried to explain to my daughter what MTV was like when I was her age and I don't think she believed me. It's my opinion that all of the multiple ways that entertainment is available in these "modern times" has really diluted the quality. But what the Mother F do I know.......

June 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  116. BB

I'm old. I actually remember when MTV used to actually show music videos. Back then, we thought Madonna's 80's videos were scandalous.

June 8, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Mike S.

I was just watching the replay and you can still here the F word as clear as day!! So much for bleeping it out in the rebroadcast......now that's Effin funny!!!

June 8, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Mike Greer, SC

The people that get up there and do that all think they are the "renegades", the tough, cool and groovy. They think they are the "Bad Asses" of the world (pardon my french). I don't waste my time or money on them or MTV.

June 8, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  119. JohnP

This is just another example of how low MTv has sunk over the years. I could care less about the profanity. It's the fact that they felt they needed to use it to jack up their ratings.
    For those of us who remember how they started out, it's just another sad testament to how they cater to nothing other than a superficial, vapid, immature audience. They pioneered "reality" TV and it was actually novel for the first couple of seasons. That is, until you realized it was all contrived to generate maximum drama. Each successive generation of show they turn out is worse than the last. If I had a kid, you can be sure I'd never let them watch this cr@p in my house.

June 8, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Drew

I'm sick of TV being safe for kids. Adults PAY for it, CREATE it and WATCH it, yet everything has to be "safe for the children". Parents, go play board games them and leave TV for us adults to enjoy without censorship.

June 8, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  121. JKSkins30

Moron Television will be desperate for ratings when the VMA's air on live tv. Then they will find a way to pull the same stunt once again like they did the other night. They don't care what the critics or FCC will say. It will be a pub stunt just be sure that MTV is still relevant to anyone who actually remembers when they actually played videos all the time.

June 8, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  122. J.Ramrod

So they use swear words. Big deal. Its something thats been around and continue to be around. You don't like it? Change the channel. Thats life people, its not going to please us all the time. So deal with it. As for MTV changing its priorities all these years? This network is still on and still going strong isn't it? If you can't beat'em, leave them the hell alone. It was funny and its was nothing less than what we expected from the MTV awards. Bravo to all the celebrities that made it entertaining.

June 8, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Dave

What is the big deal?? One, it is MTV. Two, they bleeped it out. And if you didn't like it there is a little button on the remote that says "CHANNEL"......GET OVER IT!!!! If there was a person sitting next to you with a gun to your head making you watch it, then you should have called Reno 911!!

June 8, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Michelle

I watched the show as well, and was very offended by the language and crudeness of the show especially with the young children there. It was way over the top and not necessary at all. Personally , the show seemed to be spending more time trying to shock people than actually being entertaining and about some great awards. It was sad actually , when you HAVE to swear, be crude, have skits with very forced humor that frankly weren't very well written, it certainley shows that you are lacking something and are trying way too hard. Its a shame that so many people felt they had to partake and join in on the crudeness. Some people I would expect it from, others frankly really surprised me. Can the awards show not have been about entertainment, music and the awards instead of doing and saying the most inappropriate things you could think of. Some example we are setting.

June 8, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Dorkus Maximus

When language can no longer adequately express intense emotion, people revert to physical expression. Violent language gives way to violent action.

June 8, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Wesley

My 16 year old and I watch an old episode of Barney Miller the other night and nearly died laughing. It showed that those with true talent do not have to resort to profanity. I guess that shows what the MTV crowd is, a bunch of no talents.

June 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • simple and clean XOXO

exactlly! :) great show, good point there -- so anyone who says its all up to parents obviously is NOT trying to raise a teen right now. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of all that's going on. 20 years ago, we had nowhere NEAR the exposure with cable, cellphone, internet.... bla bla that our kids do. My mom and dad ACTUALLY controlled my life.-- oh AND to afford to just survive anymore most parents are out WORKING most of the time. You would pretty much be a prison warden and lock up your kid till 18 if you wanted any control over thier lives. My PERSONAL solution is that I boycotted PAYING for TV 10 years ago. It is all just zombiefying brainwash anyway. MTV is a joke anyway.

June 9, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  127. George

I agree completely with Shannon, when you choose to watch trash what do you expect. However, everyone of the individuals who attended that function and won an award should (I say again SHOULD) conduct themselves in a in a manner that is considered..... well acceptable. I'm a 27 year veteran of the Army and even though I heard vulgar language on an almost daily basis and used it myself on occasion, I seldom do now and am offended by it more often than not. If those people feel that it makes them more mature or grown-up, well I'm sorry your wrong. They all need to grow up.

June 8, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  128. tankdriver

MTV never was worth much, and even less today....just like SNL has never been even close to as good as the original cast. Maybe it's the "AAM" generation – "All About Me", that makes it suck bigtime. Think not? Just listen to the bs that's being recorded today. No class losers.

June 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  129. oh well

The swearing was fine, the oompa loompas from Jersey were pretty freaky and I would accept an apology from MTV for that before the swearing topic.

June 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  130. mushymushroom

Just a thought...when will MTV apologize for giving us Jersey Shore, The Hills and Heidi Montag...?

June 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  131. A World Witness

I used to watch MTV when it actually stood for Music Television. But now it shouldn't even be called MTV because there is no music left, its all that fake reality s#$%. I did however watch the Movie Awards, and I must say there was alot of swearing, but it didn't bother me. However, I hate MTV now. I can't stand that s$%& programming they have. half of it is s#$& no one cares about. MTV should change its name to FRTV (Fake Reality Television).

June 8, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  132. BEEP BEEP

Hmm, shows a complete lack of proffesionalism or decency and lack of education by the so called actors! And since when is profane language in public considered free speech? I would be embarrased if I was their parent, teacher or someone responsible for their upbringing! Totally classless

June 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Tony

Let's see..a network that has the sponsoring Orbitz gum blonde standing there saying 'Got a potty mouth? after a sketch of constant vulgarity and then they apologize..?

It was best they said nothing at all....we're talking about them today aren't we...score one for MTV

June 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  134. shannon

When you watch trash what do you expect?

June 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Comment

It's ALL TRASH! Y fill your mind with it? What goes in comes out!

June 8, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  136. BeDaN

Maybe they should start by apologizing for their television line-up going to hell the past 15 years.

June 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  137. jbk

People actually watch the MTV movie awards...huh...news to me.

June 8, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  138. stubsy

What do you expect when you have a Obama, Biden, Emanuel and friends out there using profanity? Bush might not have had the best grammer but he had respect for it and didnt resort to being crass.

June 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dorkus Maximus

George W. Bush most definitely used offensive language, just not as part of his official communication. I did see a video of him giving the finger to the camera while governor. And of course Dick Cheney made news using the "F" word in the Senate.

June 8, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • heycletus

bush used profanity before...

June 9, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Marylandgirl

Really? We have to pull politics into this? No where on the article did I see any mention of politics...Stick to the topic at hand. Plus in the least...they are just words.

June 9, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  139. Gazork

I worked in an honorable profession that required professional talk, dress & actions. This tends to clean up one's life.

June 8, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  140. mushymushroom

@jorge Sandra Bullock has already kissed Ryan Reynolds and ScarJo...weird right? But I guess Sandra did that just for fun and not to pose as someone who's pushing the envelope (e.g. Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus etc.).

For me, The Sandra-Scarjo kiss was not offensive or I have just become used to seeing girl on girl smooch ever since I saw Madonna and Britney do it on where else but on an MTV awards show.

June 8, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Paul B.

I turned on MTV a few weeks ago, and I'm watching for just about a minute – and I'm like, are those- are those two girls making out? It is! It's two girls making out! It made me nostalgic for the how MTV was back in the 80's, when I was a teen. When they had girls making out on back then, at least they were playing some MUSIC! Can I get a witness?!

June 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  142. jorge

and the most offensive part was the sandra bullock and scarlet kiss, do they think that's cool???

June 8, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Dawn

If you're watching MTV, and you're easily offended, then you deserve to be offended for watching MTV.

June 8, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  144. David M.

It's always the same...lame apologies after the fact. As if that makes it okay. MTV, politicians, Hollywood celebs, etc...all the same. In this case MTV doesn't even acknowledge foul language was used. Their take: "words that might have slipped by". MIGHT have slipped by??? Pretty sorry editing....or maybe it was intentional??

Honestly though, I was not offended. I NEVER watch MTV.

June 8, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  145. john gentry

listen it's called freedom of speech first of all and it is protected right if you don't like the content ofa program changethe channel

June 8, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  146. jim

MTV is Bull S%!$ period !!! i rather watch nature and history shows rather then all that reality crap, MTV is done !!!

June 8, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Bishop

We're talking about MTV people..Why is this news?

June 8, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Jonny B

yeah as long as nobody hatin on nobody or attackin nobody then whats the problem if you dont like it change the fukin channel

June 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Mike

They're WORDS – sounds – they can't hurt anybody, stop being so prudish!

June 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Trish

I would just like to point out, this is the same network that has shows such as Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant, but God forbid someone uses a 4 letter word.

June 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

And another thing, the people who actually tune in to watch this broadcast have probably heard and said MUCH worse.

June 8, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Rebecca

SO what? It was hilarious!

June 8, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Ralph

Foul language is the lame attempt of a weak mind to try and express itself. It takes no effort at all to use bad language. On the other hand, it takes self-respect, dignity, courtesy, and a desire to put others before self for a person to avoid swearing. It's stuff like this that made me give up on MTV a long time ago.

June 8, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

I gave up on MTV way before swearing. I gave up on MTV when they stopped playing music.

June 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Andrea

I don’t even think MTV should have to apologize; I watched show and thought it was great, and I do not have a “lack of intelligence”. In fact I thought the show was f*&#ing great!! These people and parents who took offence to it maybe should not have been watching it then…. This was the f*&#ing best show I have seen in a long time, and I am glad it turned out the way it did!!

June 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • hgb

oops, Andrea – your ignorance is showing by your inability to spell basic words correctly. No wonder you enjoyed the show so much.

June 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Time to get off your high horse, hgb. One word is missing (the), and the language is colloquial, but I don't see any spelling errors. Anyone else see any?

June 9, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • v-man

Offence. Unless you're British.

June 9, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Marylandgirl

I agree!!! Great show, if you don't like it then turn the channel problem solved!

June 9, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • NOSAINTS

Andrea, Do you live in a trailer?

June 9, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  154. Just An Opinion

Just another reason to IGNORE Hollywood and the entertainment industry it promotes.. Pedophile promoting, classless, morally and ethically challenged. As was once said: swearing is just a sign of ignorance, (lack of vocabulary ?)

June 8, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Saying it like it is.

If you define edgy as something most people aren't doing, the edgiest thing you can do in Hollywood today is to be entertaining, without swearing up a storm, showing your private parts in public, or going to rehab.

June 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  156. surfer808

The profanity was definitely overkill. It was used in a manner to get people to notice. like a kid looking for attention. Well hey, they got it in the most unclassy display I have ever seen from a multi billion dollar industry. I feel bad for the celebrities who actually participated because they looked worse then the MTV network.

June 8, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Bruisers Mom

Peter Facinelli has four kids. I hope they weren't watching daddy swear up a storm on television.

June 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  158. India Andrews

My students swear like its nothing. They don't even think about it. It's become an overused word in their vocabulary like nice or good. I tell them they need to start caring and paying attention. I had a friend who worked at Macys who was fired at the end of her shift because she used the f-word and a kid heard her. In a lot of professions, you're going to be shown the door for swearing.

June 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  159. ReginaM

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

June 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • rocknrollgilr

You are what is wrong with our society. How old are you out of curiosity? I know you don't want to hear this but not caring is a sign of your stupidity and ignorance. It will catch up to you and the rest of society in the long run.

June 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  160. T

I laughed the whole time :)

June 8, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Stephen

The more you hear swear words, the less they bother you ;)

June 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Sorry, but the more kids hear them, the more likely they are to use them, especially if they hear them being used by people the media say are cool.

June 9, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  162. Janie

Why can't people speak without swearing? To me, it shows a lower form of intelligence. Our society is becoming so rude and uncaring....we are lacking class and it's sad to see. I just read Kevin's comment and 'let's be real's comment too which I hadn't seen when I started typing this. I think everyone is very tired of it and we would all love to see people in the spotlight act more dignified, dress more dignified....it's silly – but look at Regis – popular, fun and funny, yet he's always dressed so nice and he would never utter a swear word. Soon, all of those types of celebrities will be gone and we will be stuck with the morons who are covered in tattoos, showing butt crack and speaking in a litany of curse words.

June 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • hgb

Well said! It's sad that the media continues to provide coverage for "the morons who are covered in tattoos, showing butt crack and speaking in a litany of curse words". Our children need solid role models if we truly expect them to be good leaders in the future.

June 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  163. laura

It happens –not such a big deal–we all slip the "F" word–let's all move on.....duh !!

June 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Um, no, we don't ALL let slip profanity – some of us actually have functional brains that engage BEFORE our mouths. You might try emulating people like that, it will get you farther than phukking. Maybe.

June 9, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • bballtc

ian – You are phukking crazy.

June 9, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  164. Voice of Reason

These people think they are so cool but all only strongly expressing the weakness of their minds. This country is rapidly going to HELL in a handbasket and people like this are leading the charge.

June 8, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Kevin

I get tired of watching TV shows that are riddled with beeps. Either let the language through, or instruct the actors (or participants) that they can't curse. A lot of times the cursing is due to lack of intelligence. These are all adults, an adult should be able to hold their tongues for a few minutes.

June 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Lack of intelligence, true. However, do you think it could perhaps be more about low class than low intelligence? Or both? Either way, I agree 100% with you.

June 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Ab...andC

Just like anything else....if it offends you...change the channel. We live in a society that is WAY too sterilzed. People are going to say the "F" word. People are going to swear....some things may slip. It's not like they were murdering kittens....the said a profanity. There are FAR worse things that could have happened. It was all in the "partying" spirit of the night. I am utterly fed up with do-gooders trying to tell me what i can and cannot watch on tv, or do with my body, or listen to if i chose to. Seriously, everyone needs to stop the power trip on the rest of the world. It didn't bother me one bit to hear on television the same thing i hear pretty much every day in my real life. get over yourselves and use your remote to change the damn channel. Or cry a river to someone who cares i suppose??

June 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Ignorance is bliss.

I agree that if you don't like it, don't watch it... but what if your children do? Parental controls only go so far as long as they stay within the confines of your home. What are you going to do, ground them?

June 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ab....andC

What about when we were all children? Kids need to learn to listen. I was a child WAY before there were V-chips and parental controls on television. My mom watched the things i wanted to potentially watch. If she thought it was inappropriate, i was told (in no uncertain terms) that i was by no means allowed to watch that particular program. And do you think i did? No, because i knew there would be a consequence if i did. My mom probably wouldn't have allowed me to watch the awards this year, because we ALL know what to expect from MTV. I admit, it isn't good clean family television. But does this come as a surprise to anyone?? When i was a kid MTV was just 80's music....and actual videos. When the video music awards were on, i usually wasn't allowed to watch until i got older. Parents have a responsibility to their children....when the parental controls and v-chips fail, it's time for a good old fashioned "NO, BECAUSE I SAID SO" to step in. And yes.....ground them! my mom would have grounded me...and did on several occasions. I guess that's why i understand what the word No means now??

June 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

At least you care. Most parents I see these days are too complacent to even do anything, let alone pay attention to what their children do... and we wonder why so many kids these days are spoiled/ignorant.

June 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ab...andC

I agree that it was somewhat out of hand, but again....it's to be expected from the source. And I also agree that parents DO need to care about what their children are doing more that is seems some parents do. They need to be more hands on and take an active interest in what is going into their kids' heads. But it much easier to buy them what they want, give them cell phones when they are 10, get them the $150 jean "everyone else" is wearing, and get them to shut up basically. Maybe it is because I come from a low income, single parent family and my mom was the judge and jury. There was love, but there was also a healthy amount of "fear" for lack of a better word. There were consequences when we stepped out of line, there were ground rules, and there was active parenting. So while I agree that the awards show on MTV was out of line for a younger audience, I also think that there has to be guidance at home to say "No, I'm sorry it is inappropriate for you". End of story. Sometimes you just have to be the bad guy when you are a parent. I personally have a potty mouth, I swear way more than I probably should. But I know when it is acceptable to do so (ie at a bar, in my own home, around my adult friends). Not when children are around, not at work, not in a grocery store (lol). I don't think that it reflects on my intelligence in any way. I was on National Honor Society when I was in High School. I carried a high GPA in college and barely missed making the Dean's list....I have a good paying job now that challenges my mind every single day....and i enjoy a good swear word on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with intelligence or economic status (as I believe someone else stated in a comment on here). It all comes down to if you don't like it, don't watch it. If you think your kids shouldn't be watching it, please make sure they don't.

June 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Well said. I would set the ground rules not to watch these shows, but like I said before, they always have a friend's house... and I'm not stopping them from going over to watch it. I'm just going to tell them what I think about these channels and just hope they use their better judgement. Key word is HOPE. You're right; using bad language does not always mean you are poorly educated and/or have lack of class. Sometimes we get into bad habits and use profane language, or we might just need to work on restraint. I learned the hard way when I used foul language in a situation that called for restraint.

June 8, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ballz

"what do you do if your kids watch it?"
      First lesson – nothing you can do will make kids stop looking for things like profanity and nudity. Just give up. Most parents lose positive control very early on and never attempt to get it back so dont whine when little johnny see a boob or hears the F word on TV.

June 9, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  167. JFW66

Pretty sad. MTV caters to the lowest common denominator. It's apparently a very low one.

June 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Jo

I haven't watched MTV in years, so I'm sure it was the best thing that's come out of it in years.

June 8, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Jeff

Nobody hosted better the Samuel beep beep Jackson!

June 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  170. amyinoaktown

I'll bet a majority of these people never swear like that...they probably did it to look cool in front of the teenage audience. Too bad as a few of these actors have children and I'm sure they would not speak like that in front of them.

June 8, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • G

No! They do use these words in front of their kid's! Thats the problem!

June 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • C.J.

I agree - I only watchd to see Sandra Bullock, and it made me sick to see these "adults" playing to the teen set and trying to look and act cool. If all that swearing is what makes one look cool, count me out. We are indeed doomed if this is what entertains this generation!

June 9, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  171. Michael

MTV should be more embarrassed by their selections for their awards then for the profanity...Twilight best movie? Kristen Stewart best actress? Robert Pattison best actor? and my all time fav...Tom Felton..DRACO MALFOY beats Christoph Waltz for best villan...LOL..ooh God I pray for this generation..we are all doomed

June 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Well, you probably could find the same outcomes in a "Teen Choice Awards" show. Sad but true.

June 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

That's becuase little girls are doing all the voting, thats why only crap won. Little girls are really, really stupid when it comes to evaluating talent on the big screen.

June 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jocie

yeah i thought the selections were pretty stupid. why did some twilight movie win everything?

June 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Demented Waltz

Whatever, Tom Felton was awsome in the new Harry Potter.

June 9, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Demented Waltz

Also, you are basing the intelligence of a whole generation off of the flippin MTV awards? Get over it; they do not speak for me. Everyone knows that the MTV awards are just a popularity contest, that’s why the twilight movies won every category. It’s not like it's the Oscars.

June 9, 2010 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
    • sunflower2

Seen the advertisements for new twilight movie, hope the wolves kill the bloodsuckers so it will all be over with.

June 9, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  172. IcemanN4

"M"tv stands for MORON television. This piece of crap has nothing to do with music. That stopped at the end of the 80s. PLUS, the "music" they try and push onto us is nothing more than talentless rappers and record label "made" singers. It's all garbage and I can not wait untill the record industry collapses onto itself!

June 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  173. C

it was an advertising ploy for gum. it was part of the show, "Dirty mouth? chew our brand of grum". you can't apologize sincerely for something deliberately scripted into your show.

June 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Mariela

Yes. I agree. TASTELESS & CRUDE....That's what MTV has become, not like it used to be. YUCK!

June 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Jason

MTV is not really sorry at all. They knew darn well what they were doing when they let those celebrities go up there and swear multiple times throughout the night.

June 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Bill

No need to use those words orther than to just get attention. I thought it was tasteless and crude.

June 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

tasteless and crued. You just described 90% of MTV's programming.

June 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackthesmack

Tasteless and crude huh? You think if you removed every swear word from say...Pulp Fiction, it would be as enjoyable as it is now? The word may be crude, but it's definitely not tasteless.

June 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Bill....
      So you are the one person who was actually interested in watching the VMAs yet was honestly offended by the language? That's suprising- you kinda assume the audience for the VMAs would know and anticipate that presenters would swear.... What did you expect? LOL (P.S. yes, yes... swearing is bad, I agree)

June 8, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • gatorfreightor

Pulp Fiction was well written, MTV is just crap.

June 9, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  177. pete

i thought it was more annoying to have to listen to constant BEEEEEEP ... i could care less about the actual "profanity". just let me watch TV where the majority of the audio isn't BEEEEEP.

June 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pipi

You mean you couldn't care less.

June 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

That' why it's called "Empty TV".

June 8, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay2kool

thnk u! who really cares? u people make it seem like when your children grow up they wont be cursing, they're most likely doing it right now behind your back as u did to your parents

June 9, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Paul

I do not believe MTV is serious in apologizing. I think this is a weak public relations ploy.

June 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • stu

of course. Radio stations are forced to use technology that would have/could have caught every one of the f-bombs. MTV apparently chose to go with a slightly stupid monkey on the bleep button instead. Had Howard Stern even muttered one of those words on his old terrestrial show, he'd have been burned at the cross by the FCC.

June 8, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • qyock

I thought the show was HIL-arious! And the profanity was all in good fun. Parents are dumb to let their kids watch an MTV Awards show unsupervised anyway.

June 8, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  179. let's be real

That's the problem. No one actually cares.

I did find your comment amusing, good job. :)

June 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  180. casey

seriously? we are in a day and age where young children are swearing more than adults and we are making MTV of all stations apologize for profanity? That is so ridiculous! Get over yourselves people. If you dont like what you hear on a particular station, GUESS WHAT?! YOU HAVE A REMOTE CONTROL! TURN THE D*&# CHANNEL!

June 8, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  181. casey

Seriously? We are in a day and age where young children are swearing more than adults and we are making MTV of all stations apologize for profanity? That is so ridiculous! If you dont like what you hear on a particular station, GUESS WHAT?! YOU HAVE A REMOTE CONTROL! TURN THE D*&# CHANNEL!

June 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Lana

Not I, mother#$%^s

June 8, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  183. joHANN

MTV GET OFF THE AIR..

JELLO

June 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  184. flipnap

hey johann.." and so it was our beloved corporate gods, claim they created rock video.. allowing it to sink as low in one year, as commercial tv has in 25!!!! GET OFF THE AIR!!!! ;)

June 8, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Mike

I remember when the "M" in MTV stood for music...these days, it stands for the level of intelligence required to watch the channel: moron.

June 8, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Zack

This is stupid, there should've ben MORE cussing on the show. They should've got Tourettes Guy on there, that would be perfect!

June 8, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  187. hardtruth00

Who cares. I know that they cuss a lot and I don't want to subject my child to the profanity. So we didn't NOT watch it.

I used the Power of the remote control...!!!

Besides does anyone REALLY care who wins the stupid awards. I mean what are they winning for really???

What a waste of time.

June 9, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  188. Dan

MY GOD! The wholesome god fearing MTV network cursed!? Get them FCC!

June 9, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  189. Jake

Free speech country, get over it. Or don't.

June 9, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  190. Tevaus

I like how everyone needs the Power of the remote. hahaha... on/off switch, unplug... but mostly we just need the remote. If only the fridge could bring me a beer.

June 9, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  191. girl

good job mtv

June 9, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  192. older

Ruined a good show. There was no slips. It was planned and intentional. One or two well placed F bombs is ok but that was simply stupid.

June 9, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  193. Daev

Let's all be honest here. Everyone who is "up in arms" about cussing on television cuss. Everyone cusses. Cussing is commonplace now. Anyone who decides to watch MTV should KNOW that there will be cussing. I mean, com'on, this is a channel that has steadily declined since it's creation in the 80's to present day. You want to point the finger at MTV, then go ahead & point them at every other major channel on television. CSI has cussing, The Mentalist has cussing, & for all you soap-opera moms, those have cussing too. You want to complain about the f-bomb being dropped, then complain about ALL the cussing being dropped.

Parents: Get over yourselves. Your children cuss. At school, on the bus, when they're with friends, at the mall, in their rooms, on the phones... they cuss. The cd's you buy (of course, who buys cds anymore) for your children are littered with cussing. Quit pretending.

June 9, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  194. Charlie

MTV has no moral or ethical compass.

June 9, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  195. rAdam82

Who the hell are you to judge?

June 9, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  196. Jessica

are they required to have a moral or ethical compass?

June 9, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  197. Truth Hurts

Good for you. I took it one step further. I didn't bother turning on the TV.

June 9, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  198. Charlie

Do you not understand our profound mutual responsibility as adults to set moral or ethical standards?

June 9, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |