June 8th, 2010

Jonathan Groff left with 5-inch scar after 'Glee' injury

It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt – and Jonathan Groff found that out the hard way while filming a show-stopping number on “Glee.”

The actor, who plays Vocal Adrenaline member Jesse St. James, told the Daily Mail he was left with a 5-inch scar on his left arm while performing the Queen song “Bohemian Rhapsody” for the season one finale.

Warning: If you’re squeamish, stop reading now.

“Dancers were flying all over the place, and a girl’s heel got stuck into me and drew blood,” the 25-year-old theater-trained Groff said of his arm injury, which extends from his elbow to his shoulder. “I think at that very moment of contact I reached my highest notes,” he joked.

Still, Groff fared better than most of his fellow "Glee" clubbers. “Some had bruises, there was a broken limb or two, others drew blood,” he said. “It was like a scene from 'Gladiator.' ”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • television

1. Balavan

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to return the favor.I'm trying to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. James

This guy most be tiny a 5 inch scar runs from his elbow to his shoulder? My son is 3 and his arm is bigger than that.

June 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tozier

YYZ Guy

The singing is horrible but the performances are excellent. The show was better first season, get better writers.

June 8, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply

Jeremy

The first season finale is tonite. Obviously you have no clue what you're talking about.

June 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |

T

YYZGuy – You are correct, this is the SECOND season. The other people are late to the party.

June 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Feeniegal

I do love GLEE..but I'm confused how did they all get so battered and bruised??? seaons finally tonight :(

June 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. IGOR

Just another freak show,it sucks and should be cancelled !!

June 8, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Patty

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age with all of the digital technology available that actors would have to perform a scene where they get hurt. They can do just about anything digitally now. I really do not understand why the director would allow something like this. That is just plain stupid. I do not watch this show because I think the premise is a little dumb. It seems to have a loyal following. Let's see how long it lasts and where its stars are 5 years from now. They might not be working if their scars from Glee are visible. Hollyweird is all about the pretty boys and girls.

June 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paige

To each their own, but I love the show BECAUSE of its premise. Not all of the songs are great, but it's entertaining and a couple of the actors have amazingly talented voices and range.

I find it interesting that you say the premise is a little dumb. It is (if most people admit) what high school was like. Feeling like (or being) a loser, not knowing how to fit in. Glee Club gives these kids an outlet, a family, a place to belong. It shows other kdis watching out there 'It's okay, you're not alone in your outcast status." A cheerleading captain who falls pregnant, a proudly gay young man, an ambitious but obnoxious voal prodigy. There are bound to be kids who see these characters and think 'I can get through this, too."

To all the haters – Glee is encouraging and heartwrenching while at the same time funny and irreverant. IF you don't like it, no one makes you watch it or update yourself on its news. How many of the haters would promote Jersey Shore, Survivor, Bachelor, etc. as 'great TV' At least Glee has a message and spirit, more than a lot of TV and movies out there today. Would you rather see youth follow Glee or Twilight? (Not knocking Twilight, just putting it out there!)

June 9, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mazzi

“I think at that very moment of contact I reached my highest notes,” he joked.

LOL I love it!

June 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. J

who cares- he didnt lose and arm or leg

June 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bagheera

I'm afraid to watch this show...I might like it. Then what would that say about me? I've never seen an episode of Friends, either. I guess Glee will be like that. Anyway, I hope all the Glee lovers continue to enjoy their outstanding show.

June 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisa

what would it SAY about you? What an absurd statement. Who cares. I've never watched a single episode of any relatily tv, I think they are all annoying, but don't care if others watch it....

June 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RaceGirl

I've never watched Glee but after reading all these comments, I may need to catch the reruns. :-)

June 8, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael Nelson

You know, with all the effort put into making the show, I *almost* feel bad for having never seen it. Almost...

June 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gail Snail

I love Glee. It's one of the best shows on tv.

June 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leonard

Oh Glee..if they knew how to dance, maybe they wouldn't have so many injuries.

June 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cindy

This stupid show makes me cry every friggin week! Often I think, "okay going to get through this one w/out crying", and then BAM!!! They sing some crazy relevent song about some sad situation... or happy for that matter, and it's all over.
    Still in shock about how much I like this show. I even sing songs from the show that I've never actually liked in the first place. lol.

To the haters: if you don't get it, then you just don't love music enough!!!

June 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

I agree. I actually said something to my wife after the Lady Gaga episode about that. They draw you in with music to make you think, "oh, this will be a fun episode," then hit you with a tearjerking moment like with Kurt's dad and Finn.

June 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Beth

GLEE is a great show!!! The music is wonderful and so is the cast!!!

June 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jessica

Glee is by far the best show to come along in ages! I heart the dumb blonde that says the stupidest things all the time..."dolphins are just gay sharks"

June 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. merryjoe

Love the Glee-haters who for some reason read every little gossip column about Glee and then lack the self-control to not post some stupid comment about how much they hate every little gossip column about Glee.

Glee forever!

June 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Joe

I hate this actor and character anyway.

June 8, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. David

I hate Glee. It's not GAY enough.

June 8, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mike

too bad the cut wasn't on his throat...no one cares about stupid idiot actors.

and don't be coming at me with the "if you don't like it don't click on it" bull$@%t either. that seems like the only thing people around here know how to say for their comebacks.

this kinda of stuff making NEWS is utter ridiculous.

June 8, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

and yet, the poignancy of the comments never sink in to you do they? seriously, if people who dont like these types of "news" didnt read these articles, CNN would get the hint. You are seriously prolonging a problem you hate. Take the advice, stop clicking on articles that DO NOT INTEREST YOU. and then thankfully the rest of us, wont be subjected to your pointless comments.

June 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

@Jessica: Well put!

June 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

@ Mike – Get over it, you are reading the "Entertainment News" on CNN so you apparently do care about "stupid idiot actors" Why don't you peruse the other 12 or 13 non-entertainment related tabs on the CNN site next time. I am sure that would fill your brain with all sorts of other more pertinent depressing information about the world at large.

June 8, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Me

But yet....it caught your attention now didn't it???!!! LOL

June 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mel5419

yet you find it necessary to reply.

June 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merin

Wow Mike, you sound really angry about this show. Perhaps you should consider getting some anti-anxiety medication prescribed. I ca't imagine how real-life must be affecting you, if a TV show brings out such a strong reaction!

June 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Po Opongle E

worst show ever.

June 8, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  22. YYZ Guy

June 8, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

June 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

This is the first season, so obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

June 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Telcontar

Madness? THIS IS GLEEEE!!!

June 8, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. John

Too bad it didnt hit his jugular then we would have some real news.

June 8, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. FarCenterGuy

Wait a 5 inch scar but the wound went from his elbow to his shoulder? Um stop singing and learn how to use a ruler...

June 8, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Djskdu

Yes, the description was extremely clear to anyone with a brain. The scar is 5 inches long and is between his elbow and his shoulder? What do you want the writer to do, moron, give you an exact measurement of the elbow to the shoulder? Obviously, that measurement would be different for every person. Get a life loser and quit finding ridiculous reasons to complain on a message board. I have no doubt that you post stupid comments like that all the time.

June 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • BubbaGump

The word "toward" should have been used in place of "to" in describing the cut on his arm. The latter suggests the cut is actually longer then 5 inches as the average length between the elbow and shoulder is greater. I think we all picked up on the fact the wrong word was used. Farcenterguy was merely commenting on using proper words and descriptions which is critical in most forms of journalism.

June 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • LDT

bubbagump get a freakin life, how anal can u and the guy who started this be? the damn scar is 5 inches and it's on his upper left arm, i agree with the other guy who said - only an idiot wouldnt understand that from the way the article explained it

June 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Tom

@Lala...LOL – good one!

June 8, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  27. Tom, Long Beach, California

the show blows period....no pun intended

June 8, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  28. Lala

@CATom-But yet you are gay...for posting that comment.

June 8, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  29. Kirk

Never heard of this show.

June 8, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  30. Mel

At least the melee was among the Vocal Adrenaline group, and not the New Directions!

June 8, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  31. Fiona

I LOVE GLEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was at the show at Radio City last week. So much fun! Look! http://bit.ly/cXxbOR

June 8, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  32. Brad

What's gay is reading an entire story about a show you don't like and then posting a ridiculous comment. Go away and die. Glee is the best and most positive thing on television.

June 8, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  33. lp

Don't have to be gay to like Glee . . . just intelligent.

June 8, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  34. Tom

But, you're stupid, so you MAY like it!

June 8, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mike

maybe you need to get a life and do something other than wasting away in front of a television. glee is stupid...just like the people who watch it.

June 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |