June 8th, 2010

'Alejandro' has arrived

As she did with "Telephone," Lady Gaga once again provides a lengthy, visually arresting cinematic short for her single "Alejandro," but this time with Madonna references instead of endorsements. (In case swallowing a rosary and a little S&M doesn’t tip you off, she dons black pants and a bra with strategically placed machine guns.)

Despite the breezy, laid-back, "hot like Mexico" vibe of the single, the accompanying video is dark and cold throughout its totality. There's snow, drab undergarments and Gaga carrying an initialed heart on a black satin pillow in front of a coffin. (If that doesn't say romance, well, we don't know what does.)

“Alejandro” director Steven Klein told Rolling Stone that the design and tone for the opus was influenced by painters more so than musicians or film directors. The process, Klein said, “was to express Lady Gaga's desire to reveal her heart and bear her soul."

In that case, Gaga’s soul contains some men blessed with incredible quads wearing killer stilettos. If you haven’t seen the entire video, you can watch it here (although, as with “Telephone,” it may feel a bit uncomfortable to watch on the job).

Filed under: Lady Gaga • Music

« Previous entry
  1. tv protection

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have bear in mind your stuff prior to and you are simply extremely wonderful. I actually like what you've bought right here, certainly like what you are saying and the best way through which you are saying it. You are making it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I can't wait to learn much more from you. That is actually a wonderful site.

June 26, 2012 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dinheiro Fácil

Oi fascinante este site parece bem desenvolvido.........bom trabalho :)
    Amei faz mais posts deste modo !!

February 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lyssa Kroeger

Ok Gaga is amazing. There is nothing of hers that I do not like. Her music is kind of catchy and fluffy, but I love it mainly because of the fact that when she performs it live it really does fit that stage and theatrical performance, Alejandro is no different, Look at all the things that she has done with poker face, look at her live stuff it makes the catchy and fluffy stuff turn into amazing stuff :) lol

June 15, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. kevin

Like the video and song but tell me this... what did Fernando, Alejandro and Roberto do to Gaga? I feel sorry for them, specially Alejandro.

June 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bob

The Catholic Church is shoving its beliefs down peoples throats? Because their making music videos mocking gay people?

June 9, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. # 1 Gaga Monster

Don't call my name, Alejandro

June 9, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. What_gives

Who cares about anything this person does. other than the fact she is making it popular to wear almost nothing, and because her fan base is Tween and up, she is corrupting the youth. I am disgusted by all o fthis, and the world is going to hell, faster and faster. Get God, and get out of the world, it is the only way to save your soul.

June 9, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

Watch it, man, RickG might give you a "five million followers may not agree with you" comment... lol.

By the way, don't bring in the religious banter please. It not only makes you look silly, but it shows that you can't get off your own high horse. It's no wonder people are discouraged from following God... it's people like you.

June 9, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. bds

This sounds like dejavu! Remember Madonna 20 plus years ago!! Or do we have a short memory?

June 9, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. JohnA

I thought the video for Alejandro was meaningful and interesting, which is WAY better than most of the videos out there. I hate watching those videos where the singer is just standing in front of a green screen moving back and forth mixed with snippets of people dancing in the club... boring! Gaga reminds me of the old days when MJ and Madonna and Janet put together videos that were mini-movies... WAY more fun to watch.

Even though I am a huge fan of Gaga (riding on obsession), Alejandro is my least fave song by her. The song is so boring compared to her other stuff. She needs to write a crazy techno ballad on her next album.

June 9, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. chris

@Mary, sounds like you know it, but to say it again: there's nothing wrong with you expressing your opinion and questions. :) Just glad you appreciate Gaga!
    @CJ, I would agree on one level, it's just that I don't believe that's all there is to the video. I love the song too!
    @JadisRyan, what you said! :)

I wasn't sure what to make of the video at first, but I love it. It doesn't need a direct storyline to express things, but not having one certainly screws the mind for a bit. (So do Zen koans, though.) I honestly believe it opens up once you get past the initial shock.

Gaga has said the video expresses her pining for her gay friends. In the red outfit she isn't just a provocative religious image, she is a NUN in the middle of all those hot guys that she cannot have! In that light, swallowing her rosary is more like a wish to be free from temptation, or from strictures or suffering, etc., rather than a simpleminded erotic blasphemy. I've also read ideas about it portraying gay men & straight women trapped in marriage. Doesn't make the shock less shocking, but it's not just about being vulgar.

June 9, 2010 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Larkir Kusakurin

I'm a huge Gaga fan, love her to death, shelled out money for tickets to the Monster Ball, but I'm not sure what I think of the video for Alejandro. I love the song, but I'm not entirely sure what to make of the video.

June 9, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. beth

the haters on here are Pathetic......get a life - she is a creative artist that is against Hate and Prejeduce and tries to symbolically convey that in her video ! Amazing how pathetic losers can never deal with anything out of the 'ordinary' or change.

June 9, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. cj

this video is confusing and vulgar! i don't care how she is trying to be different...shes being horrible and nasty! the problem is i like the song

June 9, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. xav13r

It looks like a Madonna video because it was directed by Steven Klein, who has worked with Madge several times. I think what gaga is doing is great. Mainstream music lacks in anything original. At least she credits her fans with a little more substance. I think it's great that she encourages her younger fans to be themselves and to stimulate their creativity. I can think of much worse things than that. Example 1: Miley Cyrus. Now THAT I don't "get"!

June 8, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ann

This sounds and looks so much like Madonna.

June 8, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JadisRyan

Mary,

I think you don't understand Gaga. She is an ardent fan of Andy Warhol who believed that one could take a mainstream item and elevate it into an artwork that was museum worthy. Gaga does something similar with her work where she makes lots of popular mainstream music that is in complete contrast with her fashion and her music videos. She layers the two together to create her performance art and her artwork. Trying to make her music more avant tactics would actually be selling out to her own principles. That's why you'll never see her stop making mainstream music that's relatable to everyone.

June 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mushymushroom

Rock fan right here, but I enjoy singing Gaga's songs though when it comes to her "avant garde" antics, it doesn't work for me. I don't know, it feels a little too forced.

June 8, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Austin

Noticed today the new videos of similiar artists are dressing all wacky like her now...

June 8, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. george

bad..just so.. so bad

June 8, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

The video was different and fantastic,Wait till you see the amount of views on utube.If you want to see the real GAGA watch some of her interviews.five million followers might not agree with you

June 8, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. vigilantcitizen .com

ILLUMINATI PUPPET!

June 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

Your like a parrot 'did you hear that somewhere and now you repeat it .That's a puppet.Again five million followers might not agree with you

June 8, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • well

Yeah rickG, I love gaga and all but you sound like a complete idiot. Please stop talking before you make the rest of her fans look bad.

June 8, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • XoXo

Put a sock in it, Rick G

June 11, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sonia

I head this song ...Just terrible:( sorry. but everyone wants to be a gay icon these day they know the gay community will idolize anyone that flashes a rainbow.

June 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

five million followers might not agree with you.Who else do you know that back the gays and people that are different 'I can't think of any that would speak out like GAGA does

June 8, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

The gay community is more than just "idolize anyone that flashes a rainbow". That's such a lame stereotype. I am gay and I dont "idolize anyone that flashes a rainbow". We are not that shallow Sonia.

June 9, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mary

I respect Lady Gaga for what she does but I think she is far too pretentious with her music videos considering that the music she makes is just pure catchy ear-candy fluffy pop/dance music. If her music was avant-garde I could understand the need to be over the top and artsy, but for her type of music she makes currently I just don't understand why she feels the need to try so hard to be over-indulgent and excessive. When she does explain the meaning behind her videos, she just comes off as pretentious and just not making any sense, as if she's trying to make her music sound deeper than what it actually is. Meh, i dunno, I respect the woman and I'm interested in seeing what her future albums will bring, but at the moment, I'm just not getting into the over the top theatrics. Maybe when she gets off her high horse and decides to make music that matches that of her performances and costumes, then I'll get it.

June 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

five million followers might not agree with you

June 8, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Doesn't necessarily make the five million followers right.

June 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

@RickG- I could care less if five million people don't agree with me. five million other people may not agree with you either. That's life. What else is new?

June 8, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

Watch her interviews she speaks up for womens rights also or doesn't that matter to you either.

June 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

Also, if you feel it necessary to comment on every other person's comment, can you at least say something else other than "five million followers may not agree with you." You sound like a broken record. Wasn't that clever the first time, nor the 5th or 20th time you'll probably say it.

June 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

I've seen her interviews. I admire her viewpoints, and I respect what she stands for. You are trying too hard to make your point, I get it! She is fanatastic as an individual, I just think she needs to make more avant garde music that matches with that of her costumes and stage performances. That's all. If you want to ramble about how "five million viewers may not agree with you" then so be it. Like I said, that statement gets old after you've said it so many times already.

June 8, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

Why are you such a hateful person.

June 8, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

Have a great day and from your last post you got my point Love you.

June 8, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

I'm not hateful, I'm just brutally honest. Big difference. If you can't handle supporting your viewpoint with more than "five million people will not agree with you" and choose to try and argue your point rather than actually trying to comprehend the opinon of somebody else, then maybe you shouldn't have commented in the first place. Do what Gaga does: walk the walk as well as talk the talk. ;)

June 8, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickG

Careful your repeating your self Bye

June 8, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

Careful you are being a hypocrite by repeating yourself as well. You have been repeating the same "five million viewers" line. Watch what you say before trying to insult somebody. Seriously. Just stop lol. It's becoming very amusing. Also, if you are going to try and insult somebody, learn how to use proper grammar and use more complete sentences. Maybe then people will take what you say more seriously. Bye ;)

June 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

Let me correct what you just said: It is YOU ARE not your. Yourself is one word, not two.

June 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • On the other hand

You're completely missing the point of Lady Gaga. She's a cultural dichotomy, means to represent the simultaneous embodiment and evisceration of pop culture. If she made pretentious avant garde music she would lose her mainstream following and thus her spotlight; if Gaga didn't make pop music her oddities would fail to leave such an effect.

June 8, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Why are you two arguing over Lady Gaga?

June 9, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  23. Cassie or Carly

Love her. But I just didn't get it...

June 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |