June 7th, 2010

Tom Selleck hopeful for third 'Three Men and a...'

Hollywood isn’t done searching for gold in old franchises just yet – Tom Selleck told MTV News that he’s hopeful for a second sequel to “Three Men and a Baby,” a possibility that was mentioned before by Steve Guttenberg.

"It is true that Disney checked my availability, and I know they checked Ted [Danson]'s and Steve's, and then had a script written," Selleck said. "I think [it's] tentatively called 'Three Men and a Bride,' which kind of says it all [about the story]."

The movie would be the third installment to the 1987 feature, in which the infant daughter of Danson's character is left at the doorstep of the ridiculously gigantic Manhattan penthouse Danson shares with roommates played by Selleck and Guttenberg.

Formulaically (pun intended!), the confirmed bachelors fall in love with baby Mary and quickly fall into a routine in which parenthood is seamlessly weaved into their lives without a hitch. They hit a snag when Mom comes back and can't bear to be without Mary but they soon come to an arrangement where they all raise Mary together. (Trivia alert: It was directed by Leonard Nimoy!)

This was followed by 1990's "Three Men and a Little Lady.” Mary is about to enter kindergarten, although technically she should be three; i's like when sitcom babies age over the summer hiatus and suddenly spew out precocious one-liners. Anyway, the family was living in an even larger home in Manhattan when another snag hits: Mary's mother, Sylvia (played by Nancy Travis), wants to take Mary away again - this time to her native England. Cue shenanigans.

As Selleck pointed out, we can pretty much guess where "Three Men and a Bride" would take audiences, but he hopes that if Disney follows through with it, they would do so in the footsteps of the first movie.

"The strongest of the two movies is the first film," Selleck said. "It had more heart, and that's what I would hope this third one would have if we do it."

What do you think? Is this just a shameless quasi-remake? Is it going to be a lame "Father of the Bride" rip-off, or can Danson, Selleck and Guttenberg achieve a balance between nostalgia and modern-day relevance and make a box office success? Who do you think should play Mary (she'd be about 23 now, give or take a few sitcom years)?

Post by:
Filed under: movies

1. marquee.blogs.cnn.com

Tom selleck hopeful for third three men and a.. Ho-o-o-o-t :)

April 20, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. MARILYN

I WOULD DEFINITELY WATCH A THIRD MOVIE. BUT WHY NOT CALL IT " THREE MEN AND A YOUNG LADY" AND KEEP THE MOVIE THEME AS MARY GETTING MARRIED. ROBIN WEISMAN CAN EVEN PLAY MARY AGAIN, BECAUSE SHE WOULD BE ABOUT 25 NOW, THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO BRING EVERYONE TOGETHER AGAIN.

December 22, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sandy

I loved the original French version. Much better then the subsequent films.

June 8, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. NJ

I LOVE Tom Selleck and would watch anything he is in!

June 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. justic

I ENJOYED THESE MOVIES AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE THESE 3 HANDLE A WEDDING. ITS A GOOD IDEA. AS FOR WHO TO PLAY MARY, ITS NOT AN EASY ANSWER, MAY BE THE GIRL WHO PLAYED ALLIE ON EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND?

June 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gigi

Have been waiting for something like this for a long time now. Loved both of these movies and it would finish
    the story off beautifully and completely. Have to have the same 3 men . And the bride. . . I think Amanda Seyfriend or
    Jenna Dawson would fit in with these wonderful actors. I hope the story includes some telling of the lives of the 3 men
    prior to the wedding of their beloved daughter.

June 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mattie

I would love to see 3 men and a bride. As long as it is the same 3 men.

June 8, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. Merin

How about Emma Roberts as the bride?

June 8, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Libby

Can't wait!!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. Valerie

I would definitely see this. I agree that the chemistry with the original actors is paramount. What about Dakota Fanning, or Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland)?

June 8, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Barbara

So are we to assume that in all the years in between that none of these men got married and had other children? If so, how can the marriage of one child out shine the lives of the others? I think we're on shaky ground here. But it could work.

June 8, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. laura

They are not has beens–Tom &Ted have not stopped working but I guess Steve is another story.However this would be a welcomed movie.Hope it happens–would make a good family movie.

June 8, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. MB

I love these movies!! I can't wait! I would like to see all the original characters though.

June 8, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. JB

This time they live in an even bigger apartment. I mean large. So large it echos. And the baby is played by Scarlet Johansen. And for no reason Robin WIlliams should show up.....

June 8, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. jenn

Best movies ever!!! I would totally go see this to find out what Mary and the dads are doing now.

June 8, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sassy

I honestly have been waiting for this 3rd installment to be made. I loved the 1st film, and I always thought there needed to be a third film to really complete the storyline. I was only 11 when the 1st one came out, but I've always loved the entire cast. Just PLEASE, make sure you put out a decent script!

June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Barbara

correction for above, Robin Weisman

June 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Barbara

I met Tom Selleck and he is absolutely charming..The part of Mary should be none other than the original Mary...Robin Weiss, who should be in her 20's now?

June 7, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Guest2010

ABSOLUTELY would watch a third installment of 3 Men & a Baby!!!!

June 7, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Margie K.

I would love to see this movie made as soon as possible. How about Carrie Underwood as the bride.

June 7, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Celia

Carrie Underwood?? that would kill the entire movie...please...an unknown would be much better

June 8, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Grin

SJP? The movie was called Three Men and a Baby, not Three Men and a Horseface.

June 8, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  21. SpongeBritt

I love, love, love "Three Men and a Baby"!!! My best friend bought me the dvd for my 25th bday. Thanks Zacrappa!!

June 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kelly

Yes, I would see a third film. I think part of it has to do with interest in the original film that was brought up when they talk about the movie in "The Hanover".
    What I would really love to see is for Tom Selleck to really start fighting to get the lead in the new Magnum, P.I. movie that Universal is planning. The success of the original show had to do 100% with the chemistry of the actors. Right now they are planning to use Kushton Ashton. This guy has no chemistry. He just fizzles out in everything.

June 7, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

I think Tom Selleck got a tough break in Hollywood. I have always liked him and I know he didn't always choose the best movie roles but it seemed to me that he had a hard time breaking type cast. Back in the 80's people didn't move from TV to movies and back again like they do today. I would love to see him get a couple of good movie roles and make a comeback.

June 8, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  23. Holly Golightly

"Three Men and a Baby" rocked!!! I would for sure see this installment! I LOVE Steve Guttenberg! He is hot!!! I would pay good money to see this! Do it! How about Amanda Seyfried?

June 7, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rachel

"Three Men and a Baby" and its sequel were classic adorable films! I think a new sequel to the movie would be embraced by its original audience, and I feel the original cast is due for a much deserved comeback!

June 7, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maureen

I agree, why not bring back all the originals including the original Mary. We need some clean film fun again. What has happened to all of them since Mom and Peter married, etc etc.

September 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kris

I would absolutely watch a third movie! I still love the first two!
    But ONLY do this if you can get the original 4 (the three men + Nancy Travis)
    I would also like to see a relative unknown in the part of Mary. Please no one from a Disney tween show!

June 7, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

Agree, I don't like most of the tween actors on the Disney shows. They are so annoying and they try too hard. An unknown would be better.

June 8, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • DMC

AGREED!! Please no one from the Disney Channel or some corny slapstick. Bring back the original Mary! Where is she now?

June 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Blackfoot

Mary should be played by a complete unknown. Let someone fresh get her start instead of torturing us with more of the same.

June 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. moon627

Ugh ! I think Disney would be better off just remaking the original with 3 new guys – these guys are all "has-beens" that no one will pay good money to see in the theater – – it will just end up going straight to DVD.

If they make it a TV movie i think there are plenty of actress's who could fill the bill as Mary.

June 7, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I dont think remaking it with new actors would be a great idea, almost all remakes are terrible and trying to fill the shoes of these guys and the chemistry they had in the first film would be impossible to recreate. A continuation of the story with these guys could be alot of fun and Im sure very funny if written well. I think it could be a pretty successful movie, and the nostalgia factor for many viewers would guarantee that.

June 8, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Bush

Moon627, hellloooooooooooooooooooo marketing 101 – Do the math!!! This movie will make 100Million+ on opening weekend!

June 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Joe

Did they REALLY have to "check Steve Guttenberg's availability"?

June 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deby

Funniest thing I've read all day... thanks Joe!

June 7, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • nb

Hysterical.

June 8, 2010 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

LOL – I needed a chuckle today, thanks!! :-)

June 8, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Joe, thanks for the unexpected laugh! Now I can't stop!

June 8, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • meoohmy

Steve Guttenberg just completed a film – "Its Not You" and he is in line for another. Seems he only took a break from acting for about 5 years. Interesting to see that the fickle demanding public can't see the need for that may be something of a necessity sometime.

June 8, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • me

hilarious

June 8, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  29. Phil

I would love to see a third movie. I loved all the cast in the first and second movies.
    One can only hope that the script will be funny and just good writing.

June 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |