June 4th, 2010

The unkindest cuts on 'SYTYCD'

Three episodes into this season of "So You Think You Can Dance," and it's almost time to get down to business in Las Vegas - but not before a few more auditions in Dallas and Nashville.

Dallas brought us two dancers - Ida Saki and Jordan Johnson - who were doing things I've certainly never seen before. At one point, it looked as though Ida was lifting herself up by her ankles. Truly "exquisite," as Nigel described her. Then, when former drug addict Jordan Johnson showed up and pulled off some unexpected moves rivaling season four "all-star" Mark, I thought he was a shoo-in for the top 10.

Unfortunately, Dallas wasn't without its low points, like roller-skating oddball "Scooter Rocket," who did nothing more than do various poses while skating around the stage, and Derocccius Harris, who had quite the "Toxic" performance. There was that, and the fact that Tyce "Get the heck off this stage... and come to Vegas!!!" Diorio was on the panel. I'm just glad he didn't get Mia Michaels' permanent judging slot.

I certainly didn't agree with Tyce that Nicole "Marge Simpson" Knudson had once-in-a-century-level talent. The judges adored her, but she was just okay for me.

We should almost forget that the Nashville auditions ever happened (they were certainly the worst in the show's history, with only seven dancers sent to Vegas), but then Bryan Gaynor, who auditioned in season three, graced us with another performance. I agree with Adam Shankman: I want to be him when I grow up.

Then 120 dancers arrived in Las Vegas, among them Billy Bell and Alex Wong, who had actually both made the top 20 before but had to bow out early. Both gave solo performances which made it look as though there are really eight slots available, not 10, in the competition.

One slot I had already mentally reserved for Tyrell Rolle became open when he was unceremoniously eliminated after a solo I don't even think the audience got to see. So much for my predictions. We might as well forget about that "surprise top 12" altogether, I'm afraid.

Even so, my other two predictions for the top 10, Ryan Ramirez and Kent Boyd, seemed to make it through this episode, as well as breaker Jose Luis and the injured Anthony Burrell, who seem to be emerging as real contenders. Arielle Coker, who auditioned with Phillip Chbeeb two seasons ago, and whose face kept popping up onscreen, might have a shot at the competition this time as well.

Early favorites Rachel Girna, Sarah Brinson, Teddy Tedholm and Jordan Johnson (that one really stung) weren't as lucky, however. I especially hope we see more of Jordan in the future.

Not unlike Samson, Nicole Knudson's beehive-esque hair almost proved to be her undoing. When she let it down, it made all the difference and she survived to dance another round. At the same time, I have yet to be impressed with her.

Adichike Tolbert was also given a second chance, and I'm starting to really hope he makes the top 10. A word of warning to future dancers in Vegas: never, ever perform a solo outside your area of expertise.

As the Vegas callbacks continue, only 58 dancers remain. Which ones do you have your eye on for the top 10? Let us know on video, or in the comments below.

1. shonti

Hmmm. Don't see Tyce as weird at all. Not sure what some of you are picking up on. He's a really good choreographer, however. Not so thrilled with the girls this time around. The guys are great though. Alex is phenomenal but I don't think professional dancers should be competing in this kind of show. Someone who's with the Miami City Ballet with Edward Villella (any of you familiar with the NYC Ballet from a few decades ago? Villella was primo!) is in a different league from the others.

June 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosalita

My husband and I both think Tyce has an unpleasant personality. He can be mean at times and he has an annoying way of talking. We are not happy to see him on the panel making comments.
      Also if you don't want professional dancers competing, would you prefer that they all be under 16 years old?
      Dancers have a very short career and a short time to earn money.

June 22, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

Everytime Mary opens her mouth I want to shoot myself in the head.

I'm happy Kathryn is back though – I thought she should have won last season (and she's hot).

June 13, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. melo

um...sorry 2 say but i only liked this show when my cousin joshua allen won!!! other than when he was on it...the show kinda sucks for me. i mean some of the dancers are really good...but its boring....like idol...but dancing....maybe they need 2 do something 2 make it more exciting.

June 12, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mary E

After last night's show, it's hard not to feel like there's a Billy Bell–Alex Wong showdown looming toward the end of this season, unless something unexpected happens, or one of them makes a major mistake (which is hard to imagine). Anthony Burrell, maybe . . . he's outstanding, but the two of them are just that much more outstanding. (Was that Alex doing the spectacular leap in the clips from next week's show?) Jose Luis showed promise, and Ryan Ramirez and Kent Boyd were excellent too. But they'll have to work at keeping up with Billy and Alex.

I've been a little disappointed with the female dancers so far. Maybe I've just seen too many female contemporary dancers who dance in a similar style. Some are very good, but so far, none of them wow me. Hopefully that impression will change as the season continues.

NIcole is my candidate for "most overrated." At least she showed a quirky expressiveness in her audition routine which vanished when she reached Las Vegas. (Even so, I was scratching my head at the judge's reactions during the audition.) Her hair-down routine was better than the hair-up routine, but still, not that striking; she benefited from her partner.

Sorry to see Teddy go once again.

June 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SK

We need to all pray that Tyce Diorio isn't on the show very often- He is a weird and creepy dude!

June 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • april

Agree with the desire to see "Tyce" gone. He bugs me. Besides his name is really Keith.

June 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiddada

I liked when Tyce was quiet the first couple seasons. The moment he opened his mouth it totally changed my view point about it. He's annoying and a bit rude.

June 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlene

I like Tyce – but he is kind of strange.

June 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |