June 4th, 2010

Fran Drescher: My ex-husband is gay

Fans of the hit sitcom "The Nanny" were shocked when Fran Drescher announced in 1999 that she was divorcing her high-school sweetheart after 21 years of marriage.

Now, the Queens, N.Y., native has got another shocker to share: Turns out her ex-husband, "The Nanny" writer/producer Peter Marc Jacobson, is gay.

"Peter and I met when we were 15," Drescher, 52, told this week's In Touch magazine, which claims Jacobson came out to the actress after their split. "We were just kids and didn't know who we truly were. We went through a lot together."

And they still do. The couple still love each other dearly, Drescher said, and remain the best of friends.

In fact, besides hosting events together in support of gay rights and collaborating on a new sitcom based on their relationship, they've "even fixed each other up!" Drescher said. "I more successfully than him, by the way," she added.

1. A magic spell is going help your relationship

remain together. why are people so lost.

December 16, 2012 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Anyone who does not mind their business

has low self -esteem.....

December 16, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. PhoneVogue

never believe everything you hear....it could be a trap.

December 16, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. veronica

I am really grateful for the miracle that Dr Ubiato has done in my life in this past one week because today Sunday is making it one week that i ordered a reunite spell from him and i have really see a good result from his work my husband that have stop coming home for the past 1 month has totally come back and also apologize to me that he did not know what came over him and he is really showing me what really love is never thought that he will be able to love me like this again now i believe that spell do work and all my thanks goes to Dr. Ubiato Email: ubiatowhitemagicspell@yahoo.com if any is in need of help

December 16, 2012 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. quinn

I believe you, Fran. Forget anyone who is saying negative things about you. She wouldn't make up anything this crazy. qoollad.blogspot.com

January 28, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dawn

Anyone who puts other people down, especially people they'be don't even know or ever met, has low self-esteem. Go look in the mirror and if your not drop dead gorgeous, don't put other people down.

June 9, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dev

Most of these comments are idiotic at best.

January 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jessisaurus

i probley would have done the same thing as her nd with no regrets atleast she didnt totaly diss him the i would have been a little less of a fan cuse that would have been bad character but thats why everyone luves her so much

January 10, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Beware_of_God

It really figures that he was gay. Only a gay man could put up listening to that voice for more than a few minutes. And I mean that seriously. Real men can put up with some things about a woman, but no way a voice like that. It is pure torture to any man to have to hear that. No offense, it is just the truth.

November 24, 2010 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. uaeg

I wouldn't mind seeing bubbles blow from her dilated starfish after we're done.

November 18, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Leslie

I'm so glad someone finally pointed out that Fran Fine's voice was NOT Fran Drescher's voice - geez! Yes, I found it annoying, but the show was generally humorous. Before you run her down, read her book Cancer Schmancer and see some of what she has lived through.

November 1, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

Of course Fran's exhusband was gay ... Look at the outfits she wore on the show. They were hysterical... Only a gay man would have thought of that. She dressed like a drag queen almost. (Not judging here – think it was brilliant) Fit her character as well as the exaggeration on her Bronx NY accent. I wish them both much happiness!

October 30, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dwayne

Finally! This explains how anyone could turn away from one of the most beautiful women to ever grace this earth. I remember thinking when I first heard about their split, he must be gay. And the fact that they are such friends after the fact makes her even more attractive, if that were possible.

October 30, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Barbara

Fran.... why the heck did you get your eyes done? They look so fake. They make you look older not younger.

October 29, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Timme62

Lucky he wasn't driven insane by that nasally voice.

October 28, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. portalpunk

she's got a smoking bod, but i'm sure he decided he is gay after hearing that skreachy voice all the time.

October 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

October 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Nighthhaaawk

I hope she succeeds in a new sitcom.. I really like the ensemble cast of "The Nanny".

October 21, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  19. rak

Wait a minute. This Guy was actually fooling himself. He needs to grow up because what he did was unforgiveable. Makes the Gay Community look like her have something to Hide... GET OVER YOUSELF

October 20, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. RS

I'm glad she's a big supporter of her ex's. In this day & age it's hard to find exs who still talk to each other without filing a lawsuit of some sorts. Fran, I'm proud of you for being his friend and for supporting him. And I think it's cool that you two set each other up with guys. Way to go Fran !

October 20, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  21. Gidgit

My heart goes out to her. The hardest thing I ever went through was finding out that my fiance is gay just months before our wedding and after 5 years of a relationship, 3 of being engaged, and 2 of living together, I can't imagine what it would be like after 21 years of marriage. Like her though, we are still the best of friends. We broke the lease on our one bedroom and got a 2 bedroom apartment, went through some counseling, and and now have a very rich and wonderful friendship. The hardest thing I ever went through has made us both better people, and now that the pain is gone, I am able to see how truly lucky I am to have someone like him in my life.

October 20, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
    • zimzim

I say this with utmost respect and care: Get your own place.

October 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

I have to agree with zimzim and with the same respect. You can maintain the friendship, but It's time to move on, get your own place.

October 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bob

What's amusing here is how many people didn't understand this article. There was nothing vicious about it. Get a grip people.

October 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Elizabeth

What I don't understand is how she didn't know he was gay. I saw him for about 5 seconds on one episode of the show and knew.

October 19, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • New Englander

She knew. She had to, let's face it. Sometimes you just make good life partners so you stay together get what you need elsewhere. Her life. Her choice.

October 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. GD

Jeez, Fran...listen to you. Is there any doubt WHY he's now gay?

October 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mom22

Fran had a career well before The Nanny too, btw... ever heard of Spinal Tap? Only one of the funniest classic movies, ever.

October 18, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

It was a start, being a bimbo in spinal tap hardly equates to a career.

October 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Take5

"Ever heard of Spinal Tap?" probably the dumbest question ever posted on an entertainment blog. Like going to a sales conference and asking if anyone ever heard if Zig Zigler.

October 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Frank

That's awesome that they've remained friends. That's class.

October 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jbuck101

I feel compelled to point out that 1) Fran's voice on "The Nanny" was fake (just listen to her interviews, her real voice is much deeper and less "nails on a chalkboard") and 2) they've been divorced for 11 years and it's NO LONGER a deep, dark secret that her ex is gay.

October 12, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

THANK YOU!!!! I was waiting for someone to say that the Nanny voice is not her real voice...just shows how some people believe everything they see on TV. Scary.

October 29, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  28. Stager

Honestly, I'm a little relieved because I thought Peter was gay and wondered if my gaydar had gone astray. But the comments about Fran do seem uncalled for. Equally, though, those that were "saddened" by her divorce and "angry" over random comments left here need to, oh...I don't know...find a real life.

October 12, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. Susan R.

Fran is so beautiful, and so true and close with her family, she is a lovely person inside and out, no matter what her voice sounds like, I wish I looked like her even with her voice. I was saddened when they got a divorce, but now that I know it makes sense, and I am glad they are close friends, they are really cool people!

September 5, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  30. John Williams

I would like to ask all the people who disapprove of Fran to stop criticizing her for her natural features and consider that every living person has characteristics someone else may very easily dislike. In our case though, it is my understanding that most viewers and fans of the very successful sitcom "The Nanny" have actually found her – unique, truth be told – voice very soothing and not annoying as one might expect. In addition, she has demonstrated several characteristics in the portrayal of Fran Fine (the character of which has repeatedly been reported to resemble that of the actress in real life) that in the eyes of many men (including my own) qualify her as nothing short of adorable. One should not rely on a show to form an opinion, you may argue. But how many of these comments are indeed based on real life acquaintance with the actress? She is to be evaluated as an actress only. And six straight seasons say she has done quite well on a nationwide-exposed stage. Furthermore, she had the courage to make fun of her "adenoids" repeatedly in the series. Was it not Fran herself that made references to her special tone? A sound that was once the probable cause of almost rendering Mr Sheffield deaf, had her next door neighbors move closer to the airport and made her constantly sound as if she was coming down with a cold? Was that not a familiar gag which ran time and time again on the series? It takes a better person to acknowledge one's weak points. And Fran has shown lots of courage through hard times that most of us all might not retain our composure. Finally, if her personal life has not turned out the way others would want it to be, I say that it is nobody's business either. Nobody knows what really goes one between two people and nobody should interpret situations lightly, much less so when the onlooker's aim is to cast a few mean stones of gossip before turning the leaf, looking for more victims. Shouldn't we rather prefer to practice clemency and focus on improving shortcomings of our own? I have already said a lot, but down at the bottom line, I would just like to thank Fran Drescher from the heart for the very neat job she did on the Nanny, and also for setting an example of fighting on against hardships. I would like to send her my best wishes and let her know she is not alone, nor will ever be. She has friends and admirers out here.

August 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • truefax

OMG the word blob!! Let me summarize for John: I'd still hit it.
      So would I, as a matter of fact I'd be curious to hear what she sounds like during.

October 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonny

Amen, John!

October 29, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Stacia

What are you talking about? There's a new sitcom? And I think that yes, Maxwell, or Charles was an absolutely delicous middle aged man. And I think Fran is still quiet enticing though she's nearly 55 now. It's CRAZY. It's funny how Benjamine is from my state, though I've never met him I've been through that town before. Anywho, Frans voice was just fine I think. I mean, she can't help that her ex was gay, and we all have different voices, she just spoke a bit more nasaly then most people. Nothing wrong with that. And her old body and fashion sense just made me more jealous. Why did she get Maxwell. Damn her. XD

August 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Taajee

How he gay ......;

July 4, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  33. franfan

Still watch The Nanny on dvd and find it funnier each time I watch. Am looking forward to their new sitcom and hope it is as excellent as their last one!

June 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mdc

It obvious jmz that your education stopped after grade 12, maybe even before...

June 8, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  35. Head Diva In Charge

Ummm, he married Fran Drescher.....of COURSE he was gay! It's like marrying Liza!

June 7, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  36. Belinda

i think that they are still close friends is admirable. That she supports gay rights, considering the situation even more admirable. People need to get over being bitter and move on with their lives. Fran has always supported the people of New York, they should support her.

June 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Pineapple

To jmz: you're just rude.

June 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Pineapple

All you Fran Drescher "voice/laughter" haters – go climb under a rock. I still laugh out loud when I think about "The Nanny" and very much look forward to the reruns. Ms. Drescher is most definitely a survivor from the end of her show, cancer and the end of her marriage. Too bad for the both of them that her husband couldn't come "out" earlier. Life's too short.

June 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. DAN

THis is a shock? I thought he was gay the first time I saw a picture of them together. I hope that now he is living a life true to himself and is happy, and really what gay guy wouldnt want fran dresher as your best friend.?

June 4, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. LBW

She and her ex produced The Nanny. The production company was called "High School Sweethearts". She is right that at 15 you really don't know who you are. I am glad that they are forever friends. They should be proud of their show and all of their accomplishments.

June 4, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  41. John

If I were married to a woman with a voice like that I would become gay also.

June 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. laura

I always liked her–read her book,very heartfelt. Continued best wishes to her & her ex support one another,love one another–what more can you ask for. Peace

June 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. G

I like her a lot. Still watch the reruns. Fran, you're the best!!!!

June 4, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • LadyJ

You are so right, G! I watch the re-runs and LOVE the show! Of course with actors like Fran, Charles Shaughnessy, and Daniel Davis (what a versatile actor!), the show had to be a hit. (Sometimes I wonder if one of my favorites about the show is looking at the absolutely gorgeous Charles Shaughnessy!)

June 5, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • shoos

Love the reruns too! The show was really funny!

October 21, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • fan

love the reruns myself. Never watched it when it was on regular time

October 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  44. beenz

How is it that her voice has never been used in a Pixar film? I'm sure they could write a great character for her! Love Fran, funny lady, cancer survivor. Keep it up!

June 4, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • SillyMommy

She was the voice of "Aunt Perl" in a movie called "The Reef". My daughter's favorite movie :)

October 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mike

Wasn't this common knowledge for the past decade? Seriously guys. C'mon...

June 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mr.Obvious

With a voice like yours is this supposed to be a suprise?

June 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

I was thinking the same thing. Her laugh must've triggered something.

All jokes aside, I do wish them well. The Nanny was somewhat amusing when it ran (though her laugh did make it unbearable at times).

June 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unknown

dont dare stop about fran vioce it is the most coolest vioce in the world so stop hatin hater you know we vioced people got to stick together

June 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • um...what?

um...what???

June 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Whatever a "vioced" person is, I definitely want no part of it.

June 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ninja sweetheart

ohohoho............u will not say tht about fran she is awesome and soooooo funny i think her voice completes her......its not her fault her ex is gay

June 7, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • solomon

With that face and that voice, she'd make me gay too! EEEEKE! He probably ran screaming from the bedroom into the steam bath!

October 13, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Johnson

What's wrong with her voice? I was engaged once to a woman that sounded like Billie Burke (Glenda the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz). Everyone said that her voice was irritating...It wasn't to me.

October 26, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  47. alumette

Love does not go away after the discovery that a partner is gay. It is good and healthy to stay friends and into each others lives. Best to both of them. I loved that show "the nanny". It was hilarious.

June 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. kab4usa

Glad they are still friends, but also explains how he could write the Nanny and have her dressed like she was. I think 90% of most men would NOT want their wives looking, dressing and all like that. I loved and still love the Nanny. Doesn't change my opinion of either.

June 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

How did she not know after all those years?

June 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • tired

Wake up. It wasn't his wife who was dressed like that, it was a character she played on tv. And I think 100% of men wouldn't have a problem with their wives bringing home the amount of money she brought in.

June 5, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luigi

Fran is so out of touch with her short career, that she stoops to "outing" her ex, who does she think she is?

June 6, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Lugi – she didn't out him – he already came out – do you read?

October 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

@Luigi. Why the defensive response? She didn't out him. The article clearly states that they hosted gay rights events together. Their divorce sounds completely amicable and, frankly, mature.

October 19, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |