June 4th, 2010

Bethenny Frankel on post-baby body brouhaha

Bethenny Frankel is once again in the middle of a big deal.

Actually, it’s not that big.

The “Real Housewives of New York” star has been criticized for posing in a bathing suit three weeks after giving birth to her daughter, looking quite svelte.

Frankel responded to the criticism that she is perpetuating an unrealistic image of what the body of a new mom should look like with a statement to the website Momlogic.

"I gained 35 pounds during my pregnancy, and probably would have gained five more if Bryn wasn't born five weeks early," she said. "The truth is, I was really healthy! I indulged, but in moderation. I was even eating red velvet cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. They say you should eat 300 more calories a day when you're pregnant. I don't count calories, but I'd say I was eating 400 more than I usually did per day."

Frankel, who is a chef and purveyor of the “Skinny Girl” brand which include books and a low calorie margarita mix, argues that it’s possible to stay in shape while with child.

She said she purposely didn’t pose in a bikini for the photos, which appeared in Us magazine, opting instead for the plunging one piece. Frankel said she thinks she looks good so soon after delivery.

“I think I look like a mom,” she said. “I don't think I look scary-skinny.”

Fans wanting to see a more robust Frankel will get the opportunity with her new, soon to be premiered show "Bethenny Getting Married?," which traces the days leading up to her nuptials and her pregnancy. But, that may be the only way viewers get to see her on television.

In an interview with Billy Bush for Access Hollywood, Bethenny Frankel indicated that she might be down for the count after all of this past season's "Housewives" drama.

“I tend to think it might be the end,” she said during the interview.

Frankel told CNN back in March that filming the "Housewives" show was intense and she reiterated that to Bush. She told him that there is a 75 percent chance that she will be leaving the “Real Housewives” show, before amending that to 82 percent.

And Frankel said that with all of the new planned “Housewives” franchises including one based in Washington, D.C. and one based in Beverly Hills, she believes the time may have come for her to exit stage left.

“I think that staying at a party too long is just not a great idea,” she said. “I just feel like it’s the end of the party and I don’t like to be at a party too long.”

1. Denise

That's ridiculous that people are complaining about how she looks after pregnancy! She is being punished in the press for being healthy and in shape during pregnancy! The only people that are complaining about it is obviously the people that are jealous of her.

July 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chele

She annoys the hel out of me, too. A total narcissistic pain in the neck, as most of them are.

June 27, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Oodoodanoo

AARRGGHH!!! What the hell is that picture at the top of the screen??? Is it Halloween already?

June 25, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. melissa

Im sorry but nothing is healthy about a 4lb baby. I would never starve my baby but to maintain a size 0 figure. U can tell on her show that she is overly concerned with weight. How sucky live must b if u spend every waking moment thinking about calories

June 24, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. marie

She looks like a squirrel!

June 15, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Margi

Hope Ms. Frankel is okay. Same thing happened to me, but it was fluid loss. Heart problem. My daughter is her age now, and I have a cardiac pacemaker and two "iffy" heart valves. Hope Ms. Frankel gets thoroughly checked out by her doctors.

June 12, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Erin

Disgusted at the thinking that new moms "can't be fatsos". That's not fat. That's your uterus. It's not normal to snap right back. It's normal to take your time – THAT is what is healthy. Those invested more in their appearance should think twice before becoming mothers.

June 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katrina

Yeah creepy hoe bag is right. Something is not right about having (only) a 4 lb. baby and then becoming miraculously thin just three weeks after birth. I know she's naturally thin and everything, and the baby was healthy yet premature, but something tells me that she was overly vain and concious about her weight during the pregnancy.

June 7, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Skinnygirl is a dumb name for a company too. It implies that her whole livelihood revolves around being thin, no wonder she had a premature baby.

June 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Head Diva In Charge

I can't believe this! If she had gained 50 lbs. and couldn't loose it she would be "fat" and the "Skinny Girl would be unhealthy". So she is healthy, and now she is " perpetuating an unrealistic image of what the body of a new mom should look like"? C'mon – it's a bunch of jealous women who didn't stay healthy while pregnant.
    Good for Bethenny – she looks amazing and HEALTHY!

June 7, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. Janet Cooper

She is a creepy hoebag

June 6, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. emm

I gave birth to an 11 pound baby. I wasn't overweight before, and I'm not now. But I got so big that the skin on my stomach literally tore, leading to infection. I now have a ton of extra skin that just hangs there. It's disgusting, and there's nothing I can do about it. So now I'm a fatty because I'll never get back to what i was before I had my daughter? Just like Bethenny can't help but be skinny, I can't help but be tall w/a frame so big I wear a size 12 shoe. This stated, you can go straight to hell =)

June 5, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. newmommy2

Go Bethanny!!! I have loved her since Season 1 and I am so happy for her! I had my baby on April 23rd and people almost seem angry that i've lost almost all of the 25 lbs that I gained!! Being a mom is no excuse to let yourself go – more power to you!!! You look fantastic! :)

June 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shalie

World Swimwesr has that red one piece that she wore in US Mag. It is sad, as if she has to apologize to the chub monsters for looking good after having a bady. Fat women need to stop hating and stop eating so damn much too and leave us skinny girls alone! Go work out!

June 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katrina

You are a dumb girl. It doesn't always have to do eating, it's mostly body type and genetics.

June 7, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Heyoka060606

It's "brouhaha" and not "bruhaha".

June 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Red45

I wish Bethenny all the best. She's the most genuine person on that show and my favorite.

June 4, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. kathy

I had hoped all this season that Bethanney wouldn't return. She doens't need the toxicity of these women in her life. She is beautiful with a beautiful family and you can see how the poison inside these women is eating them up. They are ugly and hateful and Kelly 's face is being eaten alive by her hate.
    Good luck Bethanney. Have a wonderful life.

June 4, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. laura

All women have different body types - she looks good, she is healthy-let her be a great mom now. Support one another. Peace P. S. –her & Jill should make up !!

June 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Cher

Good for her. Just because you are a new mom is no excuse to be a big fatso. I too lost most of my wieght after the baby. My body isnt the same, but I have always watched what I ate and worked out daily (always with my baby in the jogger).

June 4, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. kjm

thank goodness that she is leaving, she is so full of herself an so annoying!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAKaren

kjm – Go home Kelly. Bethenny was great on the show. That's why Jill can't be happy without her friendship. Bethenny was smart, funny, and right-on.

June 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |