June 2nd, 2010

John Mayer cancels shows due to illness

John Mayer has pulled out of the rest of his European tour due to an illness, according to a message posted on the musician's website.

“After performing in a sold-out show in Copenhagen, John Mayer was forced to cancel his second show there on 5/31,” the statement reads. The same goes for the remaining European shows that were scheduled in Amsterdam, Madrid and Manchester; the statement instructs ticket holders to apply for a refund.

If you’re fretful about Mayer’s health, this should ease your worry: the talkative singer is headed home to the States, and “a full recovery is expected under doctor’s supervision,” the statement said.

Filed under: Celebrities • John Mayer • Music

1. claptonfan

great guitarist, songwriter and singer... few have this much talent in a music industry which seriously lacks. JM fuses pop music with blues in a unique manner and deserves all the success he's getting.. there are clearly many jealous of him that should be sorry for making such cruel comments about his illness. Get well soon !

June 7, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mia

I hope John gets well soon. I read it was food poisoning, nasty stuff. I lost TWELVE pounds in five hours once from food poisoning. Hospital treatment is needed and a lot of rest, if that is the case. I was put in the hospital when I got it, it is serious! It changes the "ring of fire" meaning for the rest of your life!(hee hee) Sending prayers up for John and these ill minded people on here! LOVE PEOPLE, LOVE!

June 3, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Another Normal Human Being

Get Well John! !
    Leave him alone. Everybody has issues. You know who u are!!

June 3, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. SillyKat

Best wishes for his speedy recovery and best hopes that all of you find a life or at least a brain. Good grief...

June 3, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. happytam

Well, he is a fantastic guitarist however, his vocals and songwriting abilities leave something to be desired. He seems to have a bad habit of airing too many of his personal issues. Don't get me wrong, I think he should be able to talk about himself all he wants but he shouldn't drag other people (ex-girlfriends) into the mix as well. That being said, I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he doesn't hook up with too many flight attendants, airport screeners, waitresses, or bartenders on the way home.

June 3, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. debra

Becareful what you wish for other people...the karmic boom-a-rang will clip you onthe head. Not a fan of the music, but hope he is on the mend for his fans.....

June 3, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. really?

Watch the Crossroads festival with Mayer and Clapton together (amongst others) and say he's not a great musician.

June 3, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • JMfan

I wish I could go to that show..heard it's going to be the last one... Bet John roooccckkksss it!! wooohooo

June 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tracey

Wow Steve, you're friends with John? Tell us more about how much he screws around since you have such a personal knowledge.

June 3, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. steve herrera

The way he screws around – he should be very very careful.

June 3, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. JimmySpag

Wow @ the comments. The guy is sick, probably as a result of touring for the past 6 months in support of his new album. As someone with a brother who died of cancer, to see some people say "I hope it's cancer" just goes to show their own stupidity. And "diarrhea of the mouth?" Really??? How original! The guy is an amazing musician and songwriter, does a ton of charity work, and has a bond with his fans during his live shows that I have not seen from many of today's musicians, and I have been to 100+ live shows over the years. Say what you want about his personal exploits, the guy is sick, and I wish him a speedy recovery, and can't wait to see him again in NJ on 7/30!

June 3, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Spooger

You're from NJ....that explains everything.

June 3, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • JimmySpag

So seeing him in NJ = living in NJ now? Again, proves the intelligence, or lack therof, on this board.

June 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spooger

If you're not from NJ, then why would you see this guy there? Nobody goes to NJ unless they live there. Don't try to insuilt people, you're no good at it. Maybe you should get out of the basement more.

June 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trolling 101

Spooger, if you're going to spend your days trolling the boards, at least make SOME sense... your attempt at an insult was misplaced.

June 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spooger

@Trolling 101.....STFU troll, nobody was talking to you.

June 3, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Thank You for your post, I couldn't have said it better. BTW is New York still across the river from NJ? Are PA, DE, and NJ still called the tri-state area because of their close proximity to each other.

June 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimmySpag

Thank you, Diane and Trolling. Spooger is obviously demonstrating a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I need to get out of the basement more? Really? With the number of replies you have posted to all the comments on this page, maybe you should look in the mirror. And believe me, if I want to insult, I can do it with the best of them. I just choose to demonstrate more class than that.

June 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Suz

I don't hate his music, it's okay... but I do think the guy's a little nutty. Either way, I hope he recovers from whatever it is he's suffering from – be it low sales, sucking, diarrhea of the mouth, or actual illness.

June 3, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. Stan

Low-Ticket Salesitis

June 3, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. Nora

I do like his music, but it is well known that he uses a lot of cocaine and other drugs. So he might be in rehab!

June 3, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • JMfan

Really..I've never heard that... well..good luck to him anyway and hope he feels better soon. :)

June 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Leonard

What did he say now?

June 3, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Feeniegal

I LOVE JOHN MAYER!! Hope he gets well soon.

June 3, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  16. John john

A I D S

June 3, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  17. normalhumanbeing

get better soon JM!

June 3, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  18. ohkay

John's quite a talented guitarist who has a very poor brain to mouth filter. LOTS of people have such an affliction he just happens to be in the public eye and ear. Good musician, silly ridiculous comments.
    It must be nice to be financially able to cancel gigs when one doesn't feel well.

June 3, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  19. dennis

you people are stupid

June 3, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  20. RebaFan

Apparently, according to PerezHilton.com.. he ate some bad food and has diarrhea.. so he was flown home to "recover".. lol

June 3, 2010 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  21. not

Lymes would suck. But that wouldn't change him being a boor and not having a lot musically to contribute. Why is he so popular? I enjoyed Michael Franti.

June 3, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  22. Miyan

I hope he gets better

June 3, 2010 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  23. Diane

So many self-righteous people who have never said or done anything they regretted.

June 2, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ChadSnaggler

He's sick to his stomach, because he couldn't sell any tickets.

June 2, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rose

Actually, he's selling out most of his gigs. How many people do you have following you and loving you. Jealous much?

June 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Violet Davis

EBV.

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bob

You people have no class!!

June 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Fred Wilson

I heard he switched from guitar to the upright organ. One exception, he plays it as a wind instrument.

June 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. chris

unbelievable comments

June 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Shaun

Wow, thats great news! John Mayer totally sucks! What a tool, he should have his hands cut off and his vocal chords removed so he can't make that awful noise he calls music!

June 2, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Vegas girl

Who cares what's the illness.....I love his beautiful hand on that 6 string

June 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mayerfan

i hope its cancer.....is that mean?

June 2, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally

Google Karma

June 2, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JustMakeSense

why do you call yourself a Mayer fan?

June 3, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • debby v

As a cancer survivor I wouldn't wish that on anybody. That is wrong to wish on anyone!

June 3, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • susiq

Ummm yes, wishing cancer on someone is mean, no matter who it is. The man has talent and I enjoy listening and watching him. I don't care for his personality, but hey...who cares as long as I enjoy listening?

June 3, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sam

Petey, you must be projecting your own illnesses onto John Mayer. You and bdsm seem to be the only people here who suffer from sucking.

June 2, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Actually

Actually, John Mayer's sickness is the following...

... he has a v@g.

June 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Elaine Connelly

Don't really care for his music much. Sorry he is ill, but then again, maybe he just didn't feel like going on tour.
    As expensive as the shows are, $50.00 and more for one ticket. And then they spend like a drunken sailor. Sorta like the Rolling Stones. The Stones should retire (all of them). I really don't care to see some 70 year old dude trying to act like a teenager.

June 2, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  34. PK

He has diarrhea of the mouth.

June 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Informed 1

Firstly, for all you people out there dissing on the man, get a life. Secondly, knowing what touring can do to someone, he probably got a flu-type bug (strep throat is pretty common this time of year) and can't continue singing. Touring takes a lot out of you, and if you get sick on tour, it's hell trying to recover. So I'm thinking (and this is just speculation) that it's something that affects his sinuses and voice and requires some rest to get over. Or at least that's what the story leads me to think now. What is ACTUALLY true may be something completely different.

June 2, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • UserGuest101

....ya thanks for the input bono, but this about mayers cancelled shows- not U2's.

June 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. chuck d

Lucky European's they don't have to listen to his crappy music

June 2, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bob

Some people have no sympathy. I don't understand why people read about someone they hate and why hate in the first place? Did he do something to you? Or do you just simply hate his music if so than maybe you should correct yourself and say you hate his music and not him. You don't know him personally so you should not make judgements.

June 2, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  38. GW

"Doctor's supervision" not care? Panic attack. The guy freely admits he can't leave the house without a Xanax in him.

June 2, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. BrizLad

Oh yeah, he's got that bug going around called Verbal Diarrhea.

June 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  40. kathy

did he say the "n" word again?

June 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  41. bdm

i'm curious... why on earth would you click to read an article about someone you "hate"? very interesting. i suppose some people just like to hate.

June 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ali-ooop

The name of the illness is called Foot-in-Mouth disease, the doctor suggested he keep his mouth shut for a while until a full recovery occurs. :)

June 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. terry

did not that likeabilty was a requirement to be a good musician.he can play and sing and write his a** off

June 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jesse

I didn't know that Herpes effected the way that you sing! I hate John Mayer

June 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Wayne

Carrie, the difference between Jane and John Mayer is, HE'S a public figure who can't keep his damn mouth closed about "his business". And, do you have verifiable proof of him having only "4 girlfriends" while you're spreading this drivel around? I'm sure he's had many more women than the high profile celebrities that you've read about. Hmmmm, if this isn't a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

June 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  46. carrie

Yes, Jayne can't agree with you more. He's had 4 girlfriends since 2004. Disgusting! How many boyfriends have you had since 2004? Come on, tell me so I can plaster it all over the internet and make uninformed, stupid judgmental comment about you that are none of your business, just like you did.

June 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

4 girlfriends since 04? Come on, that's nothing!!! let's just hope this isnt something too serious.

June 2, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • SELI

LOVE your comeback! That was awesome!

June 2, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellen

Carrie, I know you secretly hope he reads your defense of him, discovers that surprise! All he ever really wanted was a super cool midwestern girl, and marries you. You don't know him any better than Jayne does. So lighten up, sweetheart.

June 2, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • EresLaBoba

@Jules – I bet you're the kind of person who bets other people when they disagree with them to seem as though they are above the argument...

June 2, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

@EresLaBoba....I see intelligence doesn't run in your family.

June 3, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Betyy

Yes, only 4 girlsfriends that he dated. (that we know of) Anyone(notice I didn't say MAN) that has to shoot his mouth of to the press about his "girlfriends" in a demeaning way, which we all know he did, is just another waste of oxygen. Save the planet!

June 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. PJ

I HATE JOHN MAYER!!!!!

June 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • mimz

I hate him too! Why do his songs sound like a scratched record? Say what you need to say x 24? Seriously? Makes me want to tell him what I need to say with a machete!!

June 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • bdm

June 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

@bdm....I'll bet you ask that question every time somebody doesn't "love" the subject of the article. I'll bet you're one of those people that like to call other people "haters". If this guy can't stand the criticism, then he needs to get out of the business. BTW....I can't stand the dude's music either. Go ahead, call me a "hater".

June 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kilker

Based on all the Intelligent dialog it must be break time at Taco bell.

June 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • AUDIENCE

john mayer is a john. nothing more. cr***

June 3, 2010 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jaye

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't have some STD. Such a man ho. Just as long as his voice isn't involved in the illness; I do hope he has a full recovery. He still has a lot of music to make.

June 2, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Herps McGee

STD for sure. Guess its nothing a little penicillin couldn't cure. Little David Duke is sick!

June 2, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Gapeach

I am like James...does anyone know what his illness is? Gave me some bad thoughts.

June 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. james

Does anyone know what the illness is. I know there is a temptation to say alot of mean things..but does anyone know ?

June 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |