June 2nd, 2010

'Glee' tears the roof off the mutha

“Glee” totally got me out of my “American Idol” funk on Tuesday.

After months of suffering through what was in my opinion one of the worst seasons of “Idol” ever, there was my ever beloved “Glee” to lighten my heart.

The episode was so incredible, especially because I never, ever expected to see the kids of McKinley High take on funk music. Seriously, when you think about the various genres a show choir can attack, funk doesn’t exactly come immediately to mind.

But that’s what makes “Glee” genius.

When Jesse St. James returned to Vocal Adrenaline and rocked "Another One Bites the Dust,” my heart sank right along with the members of New Directions. Watching the latter try and find their inner-funky was just too much fun.

It was great to see Puck and Finn back together working and performing with “Loser,” but I really hope nothing becomes of the Finn-Terri thing. I so don’t want to see our favorite dopey jock hooking up with Mr. Schue’s ex-wife.

No more than I wanted to see Schue hooking up with Sue Sylvester, despite the fact that it was hilarity. Watching him make moves on the coach we love to hate made me feel a tad itchy, but I applauded him for trying to beat her at her own game.

And only actress Jane Lynch as Sue could actually make me feel sorry for that character as she waited for her date to show up while fully resplendent in one of her best track suits and some pearls (it really is all about the accessories).

The whole episode was worth it to me just to get a peek into Sue’s house. With all of those trophies and the appropriately awe-filled and clearly-cowed maid, it was everything I had ever hoped for.

As was Mercedes, Puck and Finn’s rendition of “Good Vibrations.” True, it’s not funk, but any chance to remind Mark Wahlberg that he used to be Marky Mark and down with the Funky Bunch and I am fully on board. Plus, it was nice to see Finn actually be able to pull off some dance moves for a change.

By the end, you just knew that New Directions was going to give Vocal Adrenaline a little something to ponder and they did with their version of Parliament's "Give Up the Funk." I wanted a little more payback after Jesse lured Rachel into being egged ("Break it, like you broke my heart") so it was great to see Vocal Adrenaline shake a little. Take that soul-less automatons!

This week’s show was another winner for me, though I must take a moment to say I was slightly disturbed by Quinn and her pregnant posse performing “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World.” It was weird and left me wondering “What the funk?”

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. Heike Arabia

For the most part, (95%), you CAN NOT, put a desktop cpu in to a Laptop, because of the same reasons listed above, but in reverse. The desktop cpu will need more power than the laptop can put out, and even if it could it would overheat in seconds, frying the both of them, poof your out 200 bucks. Don't do it. Thanks

December 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Maxwell Ausman

When you are writing such a post, how long does it take on average until it is published and you are completely satisfied with the result?

February 6, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. kick23wa

Remarkable job! The data supplied was extremely helpful. Lets hope that you keep up the good job performed.
    Lake Worth Garage Door

November 16, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. Carlos

Glee is a great show not just because of the singing but because they also portray what many "un-popular" kids go through. It can be very influential for many kids to see that other side and see how those kids feel.

June 10, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Buster Philman

hey Dude , i like w/ Your web blog. i will come to your blog again tomorrow

September 27, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Grace Rodriguez

Josh Groban and Charlotte Church are two of my favorite classical singers:`-

September 9, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daisy Jackson

Josh Groban and Hayley Westenra should be the perfect couple.*,~

July 24, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. home and family

Hi dude , Why dont u put facebook badge on your blog? Because I want to add your fan page. thx Regards Admin

July 11, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Hayden Bennett

Josh Groban is one of my favorite classical-pop singer after Hayley Westenra"~*

June 13, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. jho3

Husband and I LOVE Glee! However, the episodes since coming back from their mid-season hiatus we feel have been choppy and lacking in the Gleeness that made this show so good earlier. Not to mention, how much of this show do you actually SEE? What with all of the longggggg commercial interruptions I bet this show is about 20 minutes tops.

Sadly, alot of the humor, singing, and merriment has gone out of it for us. Hopefully they'll go back to the original format.

June 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Crokepark

Josh Groban will be on tomorrow night? Is this right?

June 7, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dee

Glee is a very well written show and I love watching it every week! Even though much of the adult interchange is a little over the top, the story line and characters are representative of real life situations/feelings etc. for teenagers. I know this because I have raised three sons and a daughter. I've had some very strange teens in my house over the years and some of the parents I have met even stranger! The music is very good and I really think these kids can sing. I do agree with a couple of the comments that the songs weren't necessarily funk. My question is "Where was Rick James when you need him?" They definitely should have done one of his lively songs. Even though Mr. James didn't lead a life of purity and it led to his demise his "funk" music lives on. He was by far one of the greatest funkmasters!

June 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gleek2424

quinn does have her baby in tuesday nights episode.

June 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GleeAholic

How can something so brilliant be filled with such cringe-worthy garbage. The comedy is genius, but the drama is forced. The amount of characters that have abandoned or lashed out at each other for absurd reasons is scary. The show is seriously Bi-Polar, and I for one am no longer enjoying the roller-coaster ride. Ready to embrace the withdrawal ahead of schedule.

June 7, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dawn

I love Glee but they really didn't do funk well. its out of the casts' range. I was disappointed in this episode, too, other than Quinn's song.

June 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. FredErick

Stuff Daddy – I agree with you that musically it was not pure "Funk" if one is to judge the musical number on a musical level – however this is a television show and not American Idol. There is an on going storyline that weaves around musical numbers. This is a show meant to entertain and represent a reflection of a student glee club. Have you ever seen a Glee club that could perform funk? The high school is set in white bread America.
    If the producers truly desire to create a believable storyline and represent a high school glee’s club version of "Funk" then this episode succeeded. Considering the vocalists are supposed to be students (15-17) at a high-school level then it was as close to funk as one will get-maybe not for a high school situated within Harlem but in Middle America – yes it worked! Let's not over analyze a television show to nit pick and simply criticize.

June 5, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Stuff Daddy

I watched Glee for the first time this week and my only thought is that non of you have any comprehension of what FUNK is.. I know FUNK, I've lived FUNK, and that my friends, was the farthest thing from FUNK since Donny Osmond sang "Puppy Love." I was so under impressed by everything about the show, but then again, I am under impressed by American Idol, so maybe I'm just not the audience for it.

But please don't kid yourself.. Nothing FUNKY was going on on Glee.

June 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mediaholic

I agree – loved Quinn's "It's a Man's World"- Brilliant indeed!

June 4, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lisa Marie

I don't know what shows some of the post'ers were writing about, I LOVE this show, really upbeat with a "Story line". The kids are quirky, and the adults are a bit "OUT" there!!~!! But in all, I enjoy it weekly!~!! Loved the "Lady Gaga" episode, the song, "PPPP Poker Face" has stuck in my head!!~!! The new found Mother and Daughter brought tears to me eyes!!~!! I hope they stick around for awhile!!~! ;)

June 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Allison

Actually...Quinn's oerformance of "It's a Man's World" WAS BRIALLIANT! Loved it!

June 4, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Agree. It's A Man's World was soulfully done and very intriguing. But I have to admit I was totally distracted by watching the backup dancers, who all looked to be 8 1/2 months pregnant, dance around so gracefully – insteading of lurching around off balance and middle-heavy. Maybe that's the diff between being pregnant at 16 and 32. :)

June 7, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • ABG

I too agree that Quinn's rendition of "It's a Man's World" was brilliant; Quinn sounded really great and it allowed the character to show some emotion...didn't quite like the Mercedes, Finn and Puck number mainly because it WAS NOT funk.

June 7, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  21. SCGleek

I love Glee! My husband, step-daughter and I watch every week. Not sure what we will do through the summer without it. This episode was a bit off for me but I loved Mr Shu getting back at Sue though his seductive performance left me feeling twitchy too. Matthew is a fine looking man and gets better looking every episode but THAT was just weird. As was Quinn's performance though it was nice to see her sing lead and get some air time. I just love Rachel...I would definitely be her friend!

The new Showstoppers CD is awesome. ALL of the Glee CD's are great. Definitely worth purchasing!

June 3, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  22. Feeniegal

I love GLEE!! But this episode was lacking for me.. I kinda get what they were going for...but anywho

June 3, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  23. mamadrieux

Definitely not my fave, either...but I still really loved it anyway...my son got me started on Glee!! So happy to be a 'gleek'...can't get Fox on my satellite dish, so I watch it on Hulu. Thank goodness for Hulu! anyway, I really love Jane Lynch–give the lady an Emmy already! Can't wait to see next week's episode–did you know Sue Sylvester, Josh Groban, and Olivia Newton-John are three of the judges? LMAO!

June 2, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Momma Mia

I loved last night's episode. Quinn's song was good but didnt like the dancers. was alittle weirded out. Glad to see Puck and Finn teaming up together to get revenge. And I love the fact that the boys of New Directions Kurt included were all ready to go and kick some Jesse St James' butt after what they did to Rachel. " Rachel is ours only we can make her feel bad." Priceless. I do love that Quinn is becoming less of a b***ch. I would however like to see her be a bit human and friendly with Rachel. But I can hope. My favorite part of the whole episode was after the funk number.
    "They pulled off a funk number. We can never pull off a funk number." "That's because we're soul-less automatons." " Im so depressed." LOVED IT!!! Am so excited for next week but very sad at the same time. what will we watch on tuesdays without glee and lost? New Directions is going to kick Vocal Adrenaline's butt. Can't wait.

June 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Holly Golightly

Was anyone slightly saddened yet totally vindicated to see Schu and Terri the Evil Troll Witch sign their divorce papers? I agree with Lisa, please Finn, don't degrade yourself with Ms.Robinson, aka Ms. Schuester! You're just too delicioso!!! I loved the funk routine...also was a little weirded out by Quinn's preggers performers, although I liked the song. Also loved Puck and Finn on "Loser," as well as "Good Vibrations"! I missed Emma, however. Can't wait for next week...wouldn't be surprised if Q goes into labor, as was earlier stated...recently bought the Glee "Showstoppers" cd and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

June 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. JD

I have three words for Mr. Shue: SHAKE...THAT...BUTT!

June 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dave Yaeck

This was a good setup episode for Regionals. While it was not the greatest, it had it's good moments. I was ROLLING when Mr Schu was singing to Sue. I thought that was just toooo funny. Good Vibrations was great, agree that I did not care for Quinn's song. As far as Jesse, that was a NO BRAINER... He's going to end up a pretty good bad guy. Looking forward to Regionals..... Where anything can happen!!

June 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  28. D.S.

I would have to disagree; I didn't necessarily care for this episode. I did however love that Jane Lynch was back and I loved 'Good Vibrations', but besides those things I was kind of disappointed. I was impressed that Mercedes and Quinn are getting along so well and that Quinn is starting to feel vulnerable which I think helps her relate to her fellow classmates. Now, about next week's episode, I have a terrible feeling that New Directions will not win regionals and in the process Quinn may go into labor. Think about it, they said on last nights episode that regionals was a month away and we found out Quinn was prego about 9 months ago. Any one else see my vision?

June 2, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • gleefan

I hadn't thought of that, but I totally agree that it's going that direction. They showed a preview of the choir standing waiting to hear the announcment, was Quinn there?

June 2, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • D.S.

I didn't notice if she was there or not. She is prego, it's the season finale and they have to keep us hanging. She will probably go into labor back stage and they will have to perform without her. Puck will rush to the hospital with her and that is when they will leave us hanging!

June 2, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • ys

No way! Ryan Murphy has said in public that that baby will be born by the end of the season. We already know it's a girl, likely to be named Beth if we're to believe the proceedings from last week's episode. I don't think the baby's the cliff-hanger. If they do any kind of cliff hanger in that respect I think it will be Quinn deciding not to give up the baby. No, instead I think the real cliff hanger is going to be whether or not New Directions can win Regionals–thefate of the Glee Club is riding on that caveat...but seeing how the show has been greenlit through season 3, I'd be willing to bet that they win.

Oh, and is it just me or does Matthew Morrison get hotter every episode???

June 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.S.

Morrison getting hotter every episode?! Wow, see and I was thinking that he is starting to age and look kinda old. He is good looking but he is just not baby faced Link Larkin anymore.

June 2, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |