June 2nd, 2010

Conan O'Brien's basic cable dance-off

If you (like us) weren’t in NYC last night or for other reasons couldn’t attend Conan O’Brien’s first of two Big Apple performances while on his “Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television” tour, you have the right (as we do) to be a little jealous of those who were there.

One of the highlights from the night - which can be seen in a few videos on YouTube - was a dance-off between Conan O’Brien, Stephen Colbert and then Jon Stewart.

It all started between just O'Brien and Colbert - to the tune of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" - but after Colbert suffered an unfortunate hamstring injury, Stewart stepped up to the plate ready to dance in a red shirt, gold cummerbund and tight black pants with a sparkly gold racing stripe - O'Brien dubbed the look, "Mexican waiter." (Really, you have to watch the video.)

When Colbert asked the obvious question: “Jon, how did you know I was wounded?” Stewart replied, “Stephen Colbert, you know that I feel what you feel. All you have to do is think about my help, and I will be there...” Stewart said.

Although Stewart said that defeat just isn't how the basic cable boys go down, defeat is what they tasted at the hands of Andy Richter and a sound-effects-filled Stewart-assassination.

Colbert's last words to Stewart before he was dragged off the stage? "Jon, before you go, can I have 11'o'clock?" May be an old joke, but the audience ate it up.

Other appearances included Paul Rudd - who, according to O'Brien, flew in from Guam just to be there - and a performance from Vampire Weekend.

Filed under: Celebrities • Late Night comedy • television

1. Девочка

Я никак не смогла вставить рисунок в коментарий. Вставляю ссылку на рисунок а он не показывает его как рисунок. Что мне делатЬ?
    Фотки беру отсюда – images.yandex.ru/yandsearch?text=marquee.blogs.cnn.com

February 17, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Аварии

Thanks за материалы!
    Respect marquee.blogs.cnn.com

December 5, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. lucy2

I wish I had been there! The three of them are funny together, and I like John Krasinski too – not only was he there, but he pulled the lever and showed my favorite Walker Texas Ranger clip of all time.

Looks like it was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to Conan's new show.

June 3, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chris

would anyone mind letting the rest of us know what cindy said?

June 3, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. pstevedelic

I like Conan, and I think he's very funny, but for my money, no one comes close to Craig Ferguson. He is absolutely the funniest and and most intelligent person on TV today. I am looking forward to seeing Conan,again. TV needs all the talented people it can get, as its just becoming a forum for talentless hacks. If they keep canceling the good shows (Heroes, etc...) and keep coming up w/ reality drivel and American Idol type stupidity,television as we know it is doomed. Fight back dump the cable,lose the antenna and buy a good computer w/ a good flatscreen TV , watch your TV via torrents as I do, and there's no commercials, and you don't have to watch anything you don't want. It's time to take back our entertainment from brain dead network executives.

June 3, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

Hmmm...don't know what Cindy said – it's gone. While Conan isn't my favorite comedian, he has his moments! The You Tube clip is funny. I still don't think he's going to last 5 years – he doesn't have the consistant appeal for a larger audience & his schtick never changes. Coco Show: Yes, he's a geek & knows it...but it's been his bit for too long. He's too old to play the geeky everyman. Time for a new bit. Most audiences expect performers to mature as they age – but then again Conan fans aren't "most audiences."

June 3, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. muhamed

Team COCO is a terrorist org...I saw it on Leno!

June 3, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. kane

Conan's comedy is dry humor like british humor. Its not very funny but I am sure some might like it and I understand that. But nonetheless I still think hes not too funny. More annoying than anything else.

June 3, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. jonds

Jon Stewart always amuses me, Conan cannot make me crack a smile.

June 3, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. jimmy

Coco is too old. Snooze!

June 3, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. Comet

To all those who commented against Conan's return .... Nice, very nice! ....... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!

June 3, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Nirejay

The one thing I've hated most about Coco's performances-and what caused me to quit watching, even while he was still on Late Night-were his stupid little dances. I won't bother watching them now, or ever again.

June 3, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. mmi16

Coco leaves me cold...always has, tries so hard to be 'with it' he isn't.

June 3, 2010 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
    • coco show

That's kind of the point, honey. He's a geek and he knows it, so he plays up all the showmanship with some heavy irony. It's his bit; has been for years. If you don't get it, well, your loss. I'll bet he's a hell of a lot funnier than you, anyway.

June 3, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dave

Conan is not funny. I thought so until I saw him live.

He's a writer, not a comedian, and his “Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television” was a waste of my time and money.

I predict he won't last 2 years before he's cancelled yet again.

June 3, 2010 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. swright

I am so glad that Conan has returned. Leno and Letterman are out-dated. Conan is 100 times funnier and more relevant.

June 3, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sandy

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

June 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mac

HILARIOUS!!!! I'm jealous I didn't get to see that live!

June 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ltj

osomartinez :...duh ! that's all you got ? Conan has been around a long time. He & Andy Ricthter are 2 funny dudes. Best of luck on TBS. Peace.

June 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Osomartinez

Who is Conan?

June 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dj

i am so jealous of ny!! i saw him in austin, but the guest spots were not as great.

June 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sabrina

When these three get together it's comedy gold!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6iAuPmFkuY&w=640&h=390]

June 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rick Sorkin

i was there and it was one of the most amazing shows ive ever seen. The article neglected to mention the band (jimmy vivino and the max weinberg 7 minus max ((wasn't missed))), Jon Krasinski, Bill Hader.

and re: cindy. i will never ever understand why someone would read an article about someone they don't care for, and then take the time to leave a comment. just wow. if you have more free time, lemme know

June 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terri

Great Review Rick- I was lucky enough to see Conan last nite too. I so wish I was his friend. He has to be one of the funniest and nicest people ever!

June 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Matchew

I soooooo wish I could have been there! That sounded GREAT!!!!!!!! Conan is one of the funniest people I have ever seen! :-) :-) :-)

June 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Stef

Cindy. That was an hilarious post. You sure know your way around a pun. Conan truly could learn some things from your indelible wit. I sure hope he's scouring the web and has the chance to run across your succinct yet poignant post. Truly inspiring and definitely one for the ages. Thanks Cindy. You sure know comedy!

June 2, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Team COOC 4ever

don't ever write anything about coco ever agian cindy. ever

June 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mike

Cindy. Not funny. (Oooh. Sick Burn!)

June 2, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. tim smith

Cindy, you are either old or need to go to college and grow up.

June 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Donna Imwithcoco

Cindy-seriously, you should go to LA and write for Leno...he's looking for people just like you.

I was at Radio City on June 1st and I guarantee there has never been anything more epic than what took place there on that night.

June 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tracy

@Cindy Conan: Funnier than you look.

June 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Moser Ailes

Cindy: Smart Chick
    Others: People who Fake Intelligence.

June 2, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. poeangst

I agree. I can't even understand what anyone sees in his inane blabber. He is such a bore and crybaby. I have NEVER EVER EVER heard him say one single funny thing. He just clowns around and does his antics. I watched him for months trying to find something. Anything. But there was N O T H I N G funny about him. Different generation that will accept anyone on a stage as being a comedian. Throw in a band and you get a late night show. JMHO.

June 3, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  32. Blessed Geek

Someone just wrote "He just clowns around and does his antics. I watched him for months trying to find something."

Comedy mainly isn't about finding the meaning of life, dear sir/maam. If it were, it would bore me to death.

June 3, 2010 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mark C

"Cindy: Smart Chick Others: People who Fake Intelligence."

You: someone so clueless that you've given up even trying to figure out what words should be capitalized.

June 3, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  34. lucy2

Just out of curiosity – why did you watch for MONTHS if you didn't find him funny even once?

Everyone's sense of humor is different, and people like who they like – fine. But I honestly can't understand why someone would spend all that time watching if they didn't enjoy it at all. I could see sitting through an episode or two, but beyond that, I don't get it.

June 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |