June 2nd, 2010

Bradley Cooper: People thought I was a girl

If Bradley Cooper's roles in movies like “The Hangover,” “Wedding Crashers” and “He’s Just Not That Into You" rubbed you the wrong way, don't hold it against him. As Cooper explained in the June/July issue of Details, he’s not a jerk – he’s just good at playing one.

Cooper, who grew up in Philadelphia, told the men’s magazine that he wasn’t handed his Hollywood career.

“I’ve never lived the life of ‘Oh, you’re so good looking.’ People thought I was a girl when I was little, because I looked like a girl— maybe because my mother would keep my hair really long in a bowl cut,” the 35-year-old actor recalled. “I was in a coffee shop once and the waitress was like, ‘What do you want, Miss?’ I was 10 or 11— the worst age to have that happen. I had a jean jacket on and a Metallica pin. I thought I was really cool.”

But despite his awkward and difficult adolescence, Cooper has grown not only into playing not only the pretty boy, but also the action hero – he’ll star in “The A-Team” this summer.

In the movie, Cooper will unleash the big guns; he called the experience of training to use an M4 machine gun “powerful.”

“There’s so much in it that’s symbolic, for a boy, for a man,” he told Details. “I never felt more safe and calm than when I had 300 rounds of ammo and a M4 around my neck.”

Much like Jake Gyllenhaal did for “The Prince of Persia,” Cooper had to step up his athleticism in order to play the role of action hero. He cut out sugar, salt and flour and sweated through two-hour training sessions a day.

“I literally had to transform my body,” Cooper said. “As the movie progressed, I got in increasingly better shape….I was like, ‘This cannot be me— that’s the way I look?’ It was so surreal, ‘cause as a kid I only fantasized about looking that way. Remember Soloflex commercials? That was huge when I was a kid. It was like, ‘I wanna be the Soloflex guy.’”

“The A-Team” lands in theaters June 11. To read the full interview, head over to Details.com.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. AwesomeDude

They have to remake Airwolf.... AIRWOLFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

July 3, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mushymushroom

Bradley...

June 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. laura

He is all MAN to me !!!

June 2, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tina

hell... my boyfriend wants to do bradley cooper... WTH?

June 2, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lilgtogirl

No offense but he still looks like a girl to me. Just not my cup of tea...not even a cup of Mr. T...oh yeah I went there.

June 2, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. victoria

from philadelphia. me too;) man your hot bradley!!!

June 2, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. B.A.

Wait a second...Brandy Cooper is a man!?!

June 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Laurie

You don't look like no girl now. Yum Yum Yum. And Jake G in Prince of Persia? HOTTER THAN THE SUN

June 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason

They still do ..in a way lol..sorry you set yourself up for that one lol

June 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bubba

Well, with a girly name like Bradley who can blame them. Wasn't that Alice Cooper's bratty little sister?

June 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kim

it just shows how one little incident as a kid can play a part in who we become.

i had the opposite experience of the tall gawky girl becoming a supermodel. i was very tall and thin as a kid and very pretty; i looked like a young elle mcpherson. my parents emphasized brains, compassion, etc.. but people-family, friends, strangers-always talked about how pretty i was, told my parents i should be in movies, it was even down to me and one other girl for a Barbie commercial...then i grew up! i'm not ugly by any means, but i will never be mistaken for elle mcpherson, i did NOT grow up to become the great beauty everyone expected. and even though they arent being malicious and would never want to hurt me, people still occasionally say things like, "remember how beautiful you were..." "we all thought that for sure you'd grow up to be a beautiful actress,,," etc. etc. we have to be soooo careful about what we say to kids, cuz you never know when some little comment-like the waitress's "miss" comment-will stay with them forever! that's all just one very small part of my past, but even now if i think about it-which i hardly ever do--i feel hurt, gipped, disappointed....

June 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rh

That's okay, at 15 and fully developed, I was mistaken for a guy many times due to wearing loose clothing and jean jackets. I still get mistaken once in a while, just this past weekend as matter of fact, (long female-looking hair all my life btw) and when someone catches themselves, I laugh and say "as long as my husband knows what I am, I don't care what other people think".

A female with a low voice (lower than my husband's) doesn't help either.

June 2, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Emma

Bradley Cooper is soooooo beautiful! My dream man, so I'll probably be single as a result - hehe.

June 2, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • kim

i'm sorry, emma, i know you love him, but we'll invite you to our wedding!

June 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hoodlum.thunder

the A-Team film is not a "reboot". you cant reboot something that didnt exist....this is the "big screen adaptation".

as far as B.A........mr. T was a gimmick when he did the show....so how much worse can jackson do?

June 2, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

From the previews and sneak peek stuff that Ive seen, Jackson can and does a much worse job. He is terrible as B.A and was a terrible casting choice.

June 2, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Missy

I've been a fan of his since Alias. I'm happy he's doing well.

June 2, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. tom

B.A. is being played by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who will not hold a candle to Mr. T. I think Bradley Cooper is a perfect choice for Face, and I'm really happy about the dude from District 9 being cast as Murdock. I was a huge A-team fan.

That said... this one can wait for the DVD release.

June 2, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. let's be real

Well I guess those people feel silly about thinking he's a girl, now, don't they?

As for the A-Team, I am all about the ORIGINAL Mr. T. I shouldn't make any assumptions or predictions but I believe that this guy won't be able to live up to the original.

June 2, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |