June 1st, 2010

M.I.A. on 'War Crimes and French Fries'

As promised, M.I.A. has provided not only what she says are audio snippets from her interview with New York Times Magazine writer Lynn Hirschberg, but also a new single.

In an entry titled “War Crimes and French Fries,” M.I.A., a.k.a. Maya, uses the audio to point out it was Hirschberg, not her, who wanted to snack on truffle-flavored French fries. (In the article, Hirschberg quoted Maya as saying, “I kind of want to be an outsider,” while eating one of the high-end fried potatoes.)

The second audio clip relays the artist saying those moments were never about her – “me getting to the Oscars or going to the Grammy's, that doesn’t mean anything…It wasn’t about accolades or fame.”

In the song, called "I'm a Singer," M.I.A. says, “…the story’s always [expletive] by the time it hits/Why the hell would journalists be thick as [expletive]/because lies equals power equals politics/I’m a singer/never said anything else/I didn’t lie to you/thinking of somebody else.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Sammy

"There is an intrinsic difference between entertainers & artists. Artists endure the pain of the world, entertainers dance around it" – Musician K’naan Warsame. M.I.A. is an artist and she feels the pain of all the millions of Tamils who suffered in Sri Lanka.

June 3, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Wakeen

M.I.A. putting white righteousness back in its rightful place?? Too good to miss.

June 2, 2010 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kennedy

LOL ho w DESPERATE are the New York Times. they even changed the name of their article last minute to try and make their BS more relevant than the MORONIC drivel it is.
    PATHETIC!!

June 2, 2010 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Elizabeth

I'm so over MIA. Everything that comes out of her mouth is drivel. Her latest comment about the CIA making Google and Facebook to keep track of you are insane! Stop listening to this girl.

June 1, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wal-E

I dunno. Google and facebook are having quite a bit of controversy right now due to privacy, censorship and sharing of information. It's not her fault she's right I guess. Good that your over her though. We're so over numb wits hanging around!

June 2, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. joy

MIA i s sending the wrong message to her fans and the youth of society by eating real food, truffle fries at that. that's WRONG for a rock star to purchase fancy food and eat it. it may promote high-carb eating.

Rock stars need to be proper role models. MIA would have been more sincere if she ate and drank booze & cigarettes which she got free in a party. this is more sincere. She should also act real morose and pretend she hates being rich. that is how rock stars are supposed to act. Rock stars are not supposed to live the good life in public.

June 1, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. zman

Her music sucks!!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • MusicLover

Your taste is not required. She won the Oscar for her music!

June 1, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

It's great that they'd give an Oscar to a musician that can't even perform her own music. Seen her twice live and she's horrible. Studio wonder akin to Britney Spears....

June 2, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Gerry

LOL well said Music Lover

June 2, 2010 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Evan

jUST READ that article above. Hirschberg's entire story is just fabrications and general bs. But I already knew she was politikally motivated in her attempted character assasination. No surprise there.

June 1, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Molly

Hirschberg is an embarassment to your cause. Team M.I.A. all the way!

June 1, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Terry

I can't believe how sneaky journalists are nowadays. And the way they just leapt to the NYT fraud's defense initially! Terrible!

June 1, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Kinni

Whatever man, they got nothing on me gyal. Bring on the new album Maya!! Wooooop

June 1, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Zena

Hirschberg should apologize! Her behaviour wasnt just childish and spiteful, it was reprehensible, and seriously questions her ethics as a journalist.

June 1, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |