June 1st, 2010

Fox says 'no comment' on Michaels as 'Idol' judge

Round and round the “Idol” speculation goes, but where it stops nobody knows.

Fox has issued a “no comment” to CNN regarding whether Bret Michaels is in the running to replace judge Simon Cowell.

PEOPLE.com reported that the rocker casually mentioned during a recent concert in Biloxi, Mississippi, that “I don’t know if it’s true, but I could possibly be a judge on American Idol.”

Michaels appears to be recovering well from some recent health issues including a brain hemorrhage. He took to the “Idol” stage in a surprise appearance during the show’s season nine finale and a source close to him told TMZ.com that the Poison front man is "in the running to replace Simon" though nothing is close to being finalized yet.

Cowell has departed “Idol”  and is reportedly focusing on his next project: bringing his hit British talent show “The X Factor” to the U.S.

1. marie

Never was a big Poison fan, but have always been a Brett Michaels fan. I think he could bring some much needed life to the show and definitely be able to use his experience to add to the show.
    Get rid of that Kara. Whatever her credentials or experience, she doesn't have the personality for TV. She's always much more into herself than the contestants. She'd always nervously tap her fingers on the table when Ellen was talking, like hurry up, I want to talk. Then when Simon didn't agree with her she'd purse her lips and pout or argue with him. Acted like a diva brat.
    Yes! Get Brett!!! Down to earth, experienced, likeable! And killer beautiful eyes!!! ;-)

June 5, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. CracklinRosie

It's all just wishful thinking on Bret's part, and I think he's having fun watching all the lemmings go along with it. Bret is no more fit to replace Simon on Idol than Simon is to replace Bret as the lead singer of Poison. Fox is seriously up a creek, as there is absolutely NO acceptable replacement for Simon. Another snarky Brit would be a cheap imitation. Someone completely different would be totally ridiculous. The one and only person who can fill that seat has left, so it's time for Idol to fold up the tent. X Factor is very similar, so it will satisfy viewers' Idol jones just fine.

June 3, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Barry

Fans for Bret Michaels to be new American Idol Judge!Bret is in the running for the job so show your support be "liking" this group and share it with your friends!!!!

June 3, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Terri

Idol has run its course. Simon makes that show. It's a goner without him.

June 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Try this

That Poser cannot be a judge for anything ....he s had a sleazy dirty show for which he will be judged soon.......amongst other things........

June 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe Shmid

If you like Brett Michaels you're either a girl, or have been brainwashed by your girlfriend.

the dude is a musical midget. A poser with poor taste and no class.

that being said, I think he would be right at home on American Idol.

June 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. josh

Can Idol just go way now? Its not as cool as it was back in the day. If Paula left and Simon is done, whats the point. I wouldn't waste the time just trying to "fill" in their places because its not the same.

June 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kristi

I saw Bret last sat when he came to the st louis rib fest. He said that he was in the running to be the next judge and that everyone should tell fox that they want him. I think he would be an awesome judge. I can't wait to see if it gets it.

June 2, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. jc

I think Bret Michaels would be a great judge. Most people would'nt want Michaels to be a carbon copy of Simon, Bret Michaels knows the music business, been in the business for years. Has name recognition and people just like the guy, he's likeable.

June 2, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Wendy

Bret would be excellent as a judge. No one will replace Simon! But Bret would be an awesome addition to Idol. He has my vote! Love ya Bret!

June 2, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. CYNTHIA REITMEYER

I THINK BRET WOULD BE A GREAT NEW JUDGE FOR AMERICAN IDOL. HE HAS A LOT OF EXPERIENCE IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, AND HE IS VERY WELL LIKED BY MOST PEOPLE. I THINK HE WOULD DEFINITELY MAKE THE RATINGS GO WAY UP, AND A LOT MORE PEOPLE WOULD WATCH THE SHOW. HE IS SUCH A TALENTED GUY, AND WOULD REALLY HAVE GOOD ADVICE FOR THE CONTESTANTS. THIS IS JUST WHAT IDOL NEEDS FOR NEXT SEASON.

June 2, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. Steeevil

Find our group on Facebook: "Make Bret Michaels the next IDOL judge" JOIN AND INVITE YOUR FRIENDS!

June 2, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

I wasn't sure I'd continue watching this show next season as I have since the beginning...for many reasons. Bascially it sucked this year. Fox will make my decision a lot easier if they replace Simon with this 'flavor of the month' celebrity. Nothing against him...but a little bit goes a long way. I'll tune out if it happens.

June 2, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Melisa

He was a great judge on Nashville Star. Bret is an honest to God musician and while he won't be AS brutally honest as Simon, he'll be good for the contestants. He's not afraid to speak the truth because he knows it helps in the long run.

June 2, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. laura

I guess he could be good but would he be able to kep it real & honest–he seems like a softy (like Ellen) who would not want to hurt anyones feelings–

June 2, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  16. dawn

I so agree. Bret Michael would be an excellent experienced judge for A I. His many years of being an entertainer makes him perfect for the job. I believe the contestants will be more apt to accept critisisum because he is a successful musician. I'm sure going to miss Simon and I hope he does resurface on AI once in awhile.

June 2, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. Sency

I am not sure Brett is the best judge for an Idol judge

June 2, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. shabaz

Come on, Brett is not bad but hardly up to IDOL Standards (ie, Cowell Standards). Harry Connick Jr was brilliant as a mentor, and is a brilliant musician,. In fact why not have him and Brett and please , please, please kick out that annoying , obnoxious, irritating, Kara. Makes you want to throw things at the screen each time she opens her mouth.

June 2, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. Matthew

He should be. He is a really talented man, yeah Poison was a little ridiculous, but his solo stuff is awesome! Plus he is so creative

June 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Michael

I don't know how I feel about this. Simon was really classy in a lot of ways, and stayed above the fray. I feel bad about what's happened to Bret, but I don't think this is the right move right now...doesn't feel right in a way. http://www.thesmogger.com

June 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. vinny from boston

Guess what... none of us knew who Simon Cowell was before American Idol either... so don't let that be the only criteria for rejecting Bret. I think he'd be perfect. I don't watch american idol, but if Bret became a judge, I would start watching. He's the reason I watched celebrity apprentice this season. (The first album I ever bought was a Poison album. I was 6 years old... 20 years later and I'm still a fan.)

June 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Linda

If Brett was a judge on AI I woudl actually have to start watching. Love him. Have been a big fan since the 80's. Besides being really easy on the eyes, the guy has a great personality. When he gives advice regarding the music business, he actually knows what he is talking about. BRING HIM ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Matt

Brett, would be GREAT for the show. He is a fine person, Give the guy a break people, Do you really know what kind of guy he is. You will love him.

June 1, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Muxter

He has already been a host on a show that was similar, but with country music... Nashville Star. He did a good job on that, and I feel he would do a great job on AI.

June 1, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  25. RIP_American_Idol

I stopped watching American Idol this season, and I certainly wouldn't start again if this loser becomes a judge.

June 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. debra

Brett, OK you are the man..why would you want to tie yourself to this show? it has already jumped the shark?

June 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Terry

Disagree with you guys...I would watch Idol again if Bret was on it. I'm a contemporary of his in age, but had no interest in Poison back in the day. OK, I do watch way more TV than I should & started watching Celeb Apprentice w/ my 87 year old mother, disabled from diabetes. Bret made us both laugh & cheer for him. OK, he's a little cheesy, but we're OK with that because he is such a hoot...

June 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. steve

bret michaels is just what american idol needs ratings would go right threw the roof bret knows music better than anyone.

June 1, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bea

threw????

June 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe shmid

Bret Michaels knows music better than anyone? and you're not even a chick.

dang, thats sad.

The last thing Brett Michaels is ..... is a musician. I mean he can play a chord or 2, and kinda sing. truth is, chicks like him. thats why Poison made it big. Thats why hes still known. But musically ..... Id say the guy knows LESS than most amateur musicians.

June 2, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Gerard

Poison?? what the hell band is that? This guy is annoying as hell...me, me, me is all he seems to be able to say!

June 1, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • He;s Perfect

If it's all about me...then he would be a perfect replacment for Simon! Simon was the same way!

June 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Michael

All this guy does is talk about himself.. everything is the world according to what he is going through, if he is the new judge...many will leave. His band and music is not mainstream.

June 1, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • cajr

like ellen is mainstream? simon wasn't mainstream either. seriously if ellen can be a judge ANYONE can!

June 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |