May 31st, 2010

'Glee'? Miley Cyrus 'just can't'

Miley Cyrus was quite vocal this weekend, and not just when she was singing at the May 29 Rock in Rio music festival in Portugal.

Wearing a corset-style bodysuit that would make Lady Gaga blush, the 17-year-old introduced her song “Full Circle” at the music fest with a touching dedication.

Cyrus told the audience the song is about two people who always come back to each other, "no matter what anyone says or the bad people that try to keep you apart. It's a personal story. Surprise surprise, it’s about a Jonas brother.”

Sounds sweet, right? But Cyrus is no longer romancing Nick Jonas - she’s dating her “Last Song” co-star Liam Hemsworth. (Ouch!)

That wasn’t her only controversial comment this weekend. In an interview with June’s Billboard magazine, the “Hannah Montana” star took a shot at Fox phenomenon “Glee.”

"Honestly, musicals? I just can't,” Cyrus said, whose past disses read like a Who’s Who of Hollywood, including Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Jay-Z, Robert Pattinson, and Justin Bieber. “What if this was real life and I was just walking down the street on Rodeo Drive and all of a sudden I just burst into song about how much I love shoes?"

Somehow, we don’t think “Glee” will be doing an all-Miley episode any time soon.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Miley Cyrus • Music

1. Increase your social presence easy & fast for FREE!

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really understand what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally talk over with my website =). We could have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us

September 11, 2012 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. KM

LOOK it not because she doesnt like glee, it because the way she said this is what pist me, god would she like people treating her like she treats people,in my personal opinion peolpe( artists) are scared to mess with little miss
    hannah-whatever, but the truth is that your a little spoild girl whos has serious prolblems.. my llitle 9 year old sister doesnt like you no more she thinks your wierd and sick...

August 24, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mary

I THINK SHE IS WAY TO OVER HER HEAD..SHE IS TURNING OUT TO BE A BAD INFLUENCE ON LITTLE GIRLS...SHE THINKS SHE IS GROWN AND SHE IS A BAD INFLUENCE...A LOT OF PEOPLE ON DISNEY CHANNEL ARE 20 AND OLDER AND DON'T QUIT..BUT AS SOON AS SHE TURNS 18 SHE WANTS TO END THE SHOW...SHE NEEDS TO STOP THIS NONSENSE SHE IS GOING ON WITH !

July 10, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Drella

Woooooow, you people are really something. I have no interest in Miley Cyrus or television shows/ celebrities in general, but I have to say that musicals annoy the sheeeeet out of me. They're just so CORNY. My mom is big on them and I was actually in a few in high school, and I could never figure out why anybody came to see us. I literally cringe from embarrassment whenever I have to sit through one. It's just a preference. So what if she doesn't like them? Big deal. You all really ought to think before you type, you sound like a bunch of rabid weirdos. It's a television program for God's sake. Liking Glee or not liking Glee is not a matter of life and death, I promise you. While I'm venting, PLEASE learn the difference between 'your', 'you're', 'there' and 'their'. Reading some of these comments made my head want to burst out of sheer agony. /rant

June 10, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. janet slack

all those people need to stop judging miley cyrus .I think she is doing what she wants to do in life .you people are so dam jealous of miley .at least she is doing what she wants to do in her life .miley you are doing a great job of your sing .I like all your song s.you have a great dad too .

June 5, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

I'm definitely not jealous of her at all haha, why would I be jealous of someone who can't sing, act, and had everything given to them? No, I have to say, my life is absolutely wonderful. I don't have a billion dollars at my disposal and I'm not famous, but hey, I am still really lucky. And also, why is she allowed to judge other people, TV shows, and musicals and yet we aren't allowed to judge her comments? She isn't the superior being of the world, you know. Also please learn how to type on a computer before you post comments.

June 8, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Nicole

Miley you are my favourite teen celebraty dont end up like adult celebraties who mess there lives up.

June 4, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Andy

Erica:
    You need to go to college. Brush up on that language will you!! If she is your role model, what good has she done you?!

June 2, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Erica

I LOVE MILEY CYRUS. Shes the most prettyiest girl ever(: MY rolemodle. i dont really care what people say or call her. their just acting immature. :) I LOVE YOU MILEYY!

June 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andy

In a year Miley will be a mere after thought. A legend in her own mind only. Reality will be a very, very tough thing for this little millonaire to handle. Save some of those millions for a good shrink little girl.

June 2, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. swright

For one who claims to be a musician, she obviously does not get understand the concept of what a musical is. Of course in real life people do not just burst out in song about shoes. Musicals are a form of artistic expression, which she obviously does not understand. Oh, well it is her loss.

June 2, 2010 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bert

Jessica, talk about a funny aneurysm moment there...
    Miley Cyrus was ON American Idol.

I am also quite certain that every American Idol contestant that Miley Cyrus coached wanted to kill either themselves or her. Fortunately, we can always rely on Radiohead to put a starlet in her place.

June 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. riri gurl

***ooops. real life

June 1, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. riri gurl

Rodeo Drive??? real live??? If i could afford to buy a pair on shoes on Rodeo Drive, you bet your a$$ I would burst into song!!

June 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. C

Jeez, that's because most of Glee cast put her in a tiny pocket! And, she probably got upset because that Rachel girl sung her song bad!

June 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ML

ahhhh – someone needs to grow some talent.

June 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. let's be real

Miley, like most commenters on CNN, is not thinking clearly before she makes a comment. This should not come as a shock. I am not a fan of Glee, either, but I am pretty confident that Glee is received a whole lot better than Miley Cyrus ever will be... not to mention that Glee's talent level pretty much trumps Miley any given day of the week.

June 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. KJ

Dear Miley:
    You're a pain in the a$$ and you will end up like your father...washed up then riding your child's coattails. You have no class, no manners, and not an ounce of humility. Your star is already fading child. Get over yourself. No one cares what you have to say and please stay off my TV. You look and act like a little tramp so please just shut up and put some clothes on.

Thank you. Sincerely, The World

June 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Casey

To be quite honest, it's not even the gLeek side of me that's enraged about her comment. Musicals are a fun and enjoyable way to let out some kind of emotion: anger, agression, sadness, joyfulness...any emotion that you can think of can be found in a showtune. If you haven't already guessed, I'm a big Theatre geek as well.

Disney is beginning to make "stars" that end up singing and dancing and never making it on their own in the Big Working World. Vanessa Hudgens is slated to play Mimi in LA's production of "Rent" after making a few albums and being in 3 musical movies. Corbin Bleu is on Broadway as I write in "In The Heights". Nearly every Disney "kid" has sung in a Disney movie, made an album or is going on tour and making money...

I do think Miley is a little peeved about "The Climb." After all, it was her first "real" song that she sang as herself and not Hannah Montana, so she should take some pride in it. I'm not on her side, but I do defend her.

June 1, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Emily

What if this was real life and I was just walking down the street on Rodeo Drive and a bunch of hobbits came up to me and asked if I knew the way to Mordor? What's up with movies being, like, unrealistic and stuff?

June 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ella

Miley is just jealous that the charaters on Glee had ten times more talent than what she does. She clearly doesn't get the show. A musical isn't a show where people jsut randomly start singing. Glee ties in personal stories. But naturally Miley wouldn't know anything about musicals, since they involve actually music, not the cookie-cutter stuff that Miley tries to pass as real music. Hello, it's called Broadway...West End...That's where your lame TV show evolvede from!!!

June 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jonathan

Miley, do everyone a favor and shut your mouth. The only way anything nice comes out of there is if it's been put through an autotune machine and then has a million back-up singers to cover up whatever that couldn't.

June 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jessica

Good for you miley! I cant stand Glee, its just like american idol.

June 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sharon M.

This teenager is a billionaire, and I LOVE IT that she says exactly what she thinks, and doesn't give a hoot what y'all think ... LMAO!!! Everything she said was right on, and she's not doing anything any more outrageous than a whole lot of others who couldn't sing as well as she can (i.e. Madonna.) Geez ... stop being jealous of the little rich girl, and get a life of your own to worry about.

June 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. gordo

Miley and Glee? Don't think so. She doesn't have the talent nor the ability to perform on Glee.

June 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Steve

"Honestly, Musicals?" "I just can't.....because they require being an actual musician and not a Disney product"

June 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bubba Mullet

Miley is the most lucrative ten minutes of Billy Ray Cyrus's life. Good job, man.

June 1, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  27. ABK

Of course she couldn't do a musical... they require talent.

June 1, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  28. debra

If the haters on this board are indicative of what Glee is all about...sure am glad I watch something else. The only people more hateful that Glee fans are....hmmm....OK..the only people more hatefull than Glee fans are MORE Glee fans...and obviously they don't READ with COMPREHENSION...she was NOT dissing your precious show she does not like musicals...geez people get a grip!!!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

Debra, in the full article she goes on to mention how she thinks Glee is rubbish and unrealistic. If you read the way the article goes, she is clearly talking about Glee/musical shows in general. Cool it.

June 8, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  29. NYC

Obviously Glee is unrealistic- unlike Hannah Montana, where a 11 or 12 year old girl can have a Clark Kent/Superman persona via blond wig. Totally more realistic...

June 1, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  30. Megan

Dear Miley [if you are reading this],
    You are a beautiful and talented young woman. And God loves you.
    -Megan-

June 1, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  31. knublegs

miley cyrus gets on my nerves. Nobody cares that she doesnt want to be on Glee. Nobody wants her on Glee anyways. She needs to go sit at home and listen to her dad sing Achy Breaky Heart.

May 31, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. nasnan

Well this TOTALLY makes sense! Why would a singer like musicals? It's not like they perform on stage with choreographed numbers, props and costumes or anything when they go on tour. No, wait....

May 31, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jaye

I don't know how she got to be so high-brow so early in life. I guess all that instant fame and money. I don't care if she likes Glee or not, but she's made similar comments about other PEOPLE as well as other things. She seems to think what she does in more noble than what anyone else does. She's just too young to understand that she's not all that; she could be a nobody tomorrow. The other day she said she sings pop, but doesn't listen to it; again, like it's beneath listening to it, but it's what her handlers want her to do. lH*ell. it MADE her who she is. She clarified her comment re: pop music by indicating HER pop music has more meaning that a LOT of other pop performers. She needs to get a grip on that ego. Now she seems to be trying to ditch her tween fans with her new direction in her career. If she's trying to be as popular as Britney ( which isn't happening) she needs to know that Britney had a ton of ADULT followers when her first hit single came out, and that group has grown. Miley has the tween crowd and it will be a miracle if she can bridge the gap between where she is and where she wants to be. I heard she wants to be an actress, good luck with that; again she has the tweens to thank for any success she's had at the box office. Not many singers have found lasting success as actors.

May 31, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Lesley

I meant vulgar...not "vulture"! :) Freudian slip...the vultures in Hollywood are picking Miley's bones. There's no innocence left!! :(

May 31, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Lesley

I agree...the "Glee" episode featuring Lea slaughtering "The Climb" probably offended Miley. Guess what? Other than young girls, the public at large doesn't think she's very talented. OK voice, less than stellar looks...no wonder poor Miley is going the route so many young women go: skimpy costumes, vulture dancing (ie. pole), and amping up the "sleeze" factor. The folks in Asland, KY must be SO proud!

May 31, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  36. mushymushroom

I actually felt glad that she's not interested in Glee because no one is interested in seeing her there anyway.

Miley, arrogance will cause your downfall. Why not be humble and just say, "Glee is a great thing on tv now, it made kids and adults be interested in showcasing their talents, though I can't be in Glee because I prefer other music outlet, I still give my respect to those kids like me who are into music..."

But I guess she won't say something like that because she feels like she's on top of the world when in reality she's falling down.

May 31, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Crystal

Miley...you have to learn to STOP putting down others in your industry. You will need those people to keep your no-talent a$$ going. If you like the show or not, you just smile and say it's a fun show. It's not that hard.

May 31, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  38. lynn

I think she is a spoiled brat! She has talent and i think instead of putting others down for the talent they were blessed with she should be thanking the heavens above for hers. She like most kids who have grown up on tv is now to big for her britiches. Her daddy should regin her in before she hurts her career or worse. I like Miley, and I worry that she has grown up to much or to fast.

May 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  39. LiLa

Miley Cyrus - I just can't.

May 31, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. neely

i think miley is going to go really far with her career, but i also think she is growing up to fast. i have a niece that absolutely loves miley and truly looks up to her. and im glad she quit hannah montanna for one reason, little girls love her as a role model what kind of role model does a pole dance when your biggest fans are pretty much 14 and under. but i also think that she is growin up and cant please anyone. she became a star young and is now becoming a young women.

May 31, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Vicky

obviously she never watched it because she has no idea what its about. watch it before you diss it miley

May 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tess

Oh, she is precious..."What if this was real life and I was just walking down the street on Rodeo Drive and all of a sudden I just burst into song...blah, blah, blah." Rodeo Drive? Yeah, that's real life. Miley, in "real life" you could walk down any street and realize how lucky you are to have a career considering you can't act or sing. Great strategy though, turning down "Glee" when most of that cast could blow you out of the water.

May 31, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

My sentiments EXACTLY – she's only running her mouth because she can't handle the fact that each character on Glee has more talent in their little finger than she can ever hope to gain in her entire life. As 'Old Scratch' said, I can't WAIT for Miley's meltdown

June 2, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  43. Jjinx

Miley, Miley, Miley...Use some of your $$$ to buy a clue and some class.

May 31, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becca

Well said :)

Miley can't sing, and I tought it was hilarious how they used her song for Lea's laryngitis :D

June 28, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Amie

My question would be: what's the huge difference in Glee & what she does? Dancing & singing for an audience? Oh, & get this – they sing lots of POP songs on the show! Gasp! "Musical" is not a bad word and shouldn't be equated to lesser than... I know plenty of people who wouldn't be caught dead listening to her music but love the fresh spin Glee puts on the music.

May 31, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  45. debra

Miley is just another big mouthed teenager.....but there actually are some people who have never watched Glee and do not like musicals....I know this is shocking....but some people prefer other things...she may be one of those people....she was not dissing Glee but muscials...CNN is trying to stir the pot....

May 31, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Gloria

Miley can't SING anyhow, so they won't have any use for her on Glee except make her songs better. It's a good thing Rachel had laryngitis on "The Climb". She's a Glee hater – that's just sad, coming from an artist I expected her to actually like Glee. She also contradicts herself she did audition for and come out in high school musical at the end for like a second. As far as a Jonas Brother goes, she doesn't deserve one.

May 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ahigdon

your right gloria, she can't sing! it sounds like she's holding her nose when talking. i went to her concert, they mix her voice up ALOT on the radio. it was terrible!

June 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Suzi

You have to have talent to be on Glee anyway...enough said.

May 31, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Old Scratch

I can't wait for Miley to have her public meltdown. Its going to be EPIC!

May 31, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Roberta

How in the world Miley ever got to be a "star" is beyond me. I couldn't believe that American Idol had her on to coach the contestants. She had a hit as Hannah Montana but a singing career....she should get a day job.

May 31, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Pablo

You now i am really annoyed by you guys calling her a spoiled little full of herself this this and that ! For some reason you Glee Watchers get really offended when someone doesn't like glee !! Like Are You series its a TV show if she doesn't like it she doesn't like it !!! I dont like glee i cant stand it! All the singing omg i drives me crazy my head nearly exploded when i watched hsm3 !!! You guys are just so retarded people have there own opinions my god !!! So Stop being immature baby's about everything My God !! And dont Worry MILEY YOU ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • OPS

Personally, hsm isnt even close to glee. Cast from glee sings. In fact.. comparing the org hsm would be a better choice.

May 31, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gloria

Glee requires more vocal ability than Miley can give at the moment. I don't quite understand why some people hate musicals or musical type shows. Most of the guys I know seem to hate them. Anywho, the comment Miley made seems to be something her beau has probably said and she just thinks it makes her look good to say it. I personally don't think Miley is spoiled, she's been in show biz her whole life so she just doesn't know how to act any different.

May 31, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • JenniferW

Dude...calm down and take an advil. Geez.

May 31, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ahigdon

ya people do have their own opinions, we're are saying them all right now! so are you! you think she rox! i don't! get it.

June 5, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Maria turcios

I hope this girl doesn't end up like Lindsay I think she's too young to be letting all hang out

May 31, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Peebs

Maybe she was ticked off when they used 'The Climb' as the bad layrngitis song for Lea...*lol*...that was so funny!

May 31, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gloria

Lol... I think the same thing. I had completely forgotten about that until I remembered they did do a Miley Cyrus song. That was meant to be a hit a Rachel not Miley but I guess Miley took it the other way.

May 31, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Linda

Miley, I enjoyED Hannah Montana but have lost it for you since the pole dance. I no longer allow Hannah Montana to be watched in my home as you are no longer a role model. Billy Ray, you always said she would never be a Brittany Spears. She's not, she's worse. As for Glee, you could only wish to be on a TV show like Glee and yeah, when you need a show like Glee, it won't want you (thank you DDuellamn, my sentiments exactly)

May 31, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  54. DDuellman

Miley honey, someday you're gonna need "Glee" and it won't want you. Your loss.

May 31, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  55. Head Diva In Charge

Miley, sometimes I am SO on your side. But most of the time, I just think your an over privileged little kid with no sense of mediocrity. And dear, you are mediocre.

May 31, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • JayC

I agree with that totaly, and also GLEE is amazin an Lea Michele blows u out the water every time

June 3, 2010 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
    • ahigdon

miley, you set horrible examples for children. My little sister doesn't even wear your cloths anymore after she saw you pole dancing, getting a nose pierceing, tatoo, and hearing that you were drunk lap dancing a old man.. Besides your not the next brittney spears, you're the next paris hilton. Your dad lets you do that, what happended? Acting trashy like crap wont get you anymore albums than you have now...... not gonna move you forward. The'res no change in you now.... your stuck in your own problems now!

June 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |