May 31st, 2010

Could Bret Michaels be the new Simon Cowell?

Bret Michaels has proven he’s not adverse to hard work, so why not give him a really demanding gig?

Fans responding to a TVGuide.com poll think the formerly ailing rocker would make an ideal replacement for Simon Cowell on “American Idol.”

The site reports that 68 percent of the voters would like to see the Poison front man occupy the Brit’s judge’s chair now that Cowell is gone.

Michaels has rebounded nicely from a brain hemorrhage and viewers went nuts when he made a surprise appearance on the “Idol” finale singing a duet with third place finisher, Casey James.

What do you think? Thumbs up or thumbs down to the thought of Michaels as a new “Idol” judge?

1. Donna

Need someone with back bone who will tell the truth no matter how bad it hurts !
    Piers Morgan has alot of Simon qualities.

July 3, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mike

Piers Morgan from America's Got Talent to replace Simon Cowell. Morgan is leaving Talent to replace Larry King. He could probably do both shows like Ellen. Piers is sharp, witty, British, and knows talent. He might make Idol worth watching again.

June 26, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LAJ

I can take Simon's place. I've been in music since I was 9 years old, play several instruments and sing. I usually agreed with him too. I wouldn't need the money he's making and besides, I need a job!

June 25, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mary

Bret Michaels would make a excellent judge, He maybe soft, that's ok but he knows the business...Enough of Randy and his DOG remarks and his booing when Simon was interduced... Once, ok, but every show. Grow up Randy...Ellen is ok, We need to give her a chance, Like her remarks, need some humor.

June 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cindy

brett would be a great judge on ai.he would be the best choice,and a lot more people would tune in to watch it.bring on bret michaels.

June 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. steve

Here is the thing-whomever judges AI has to be brutally honest. Bret said he has a soft place in his heart for singer/songwriter. He is just TOO NICE.. Now having said that, he has done everything in the music scene.

REGARDING THE VOTING-I am going to say it and scream it aloud for the 1000000000th time. It was NOT TWEENS THAT VOTED FOR THE WINNER. The make up of the Idol audience is about 80% women between 18-59 yrs old, and the Tweens are less then 2%. The voting will not change because ATT wants for all those people to call as it makes money for them. So, Bowersox had significantly less votes the Dewyze. I am not saying anything about singing ability, just pure votes...

June 2, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. BradyQ

Bret Michaels will bring in huge ratings ...and Bret Michaels PLUS Gene Simmons = perfection! Now all they need is one decent female judge (cause the two they have now are useless) and AI just might be great again.

June 1, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Victor

Thumbs up!! Wayyyyy up!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jules

I can't believe American Idol is still on and that people watch that crap. As for Michaels, he was washed up a long time ago. If the media didn't cover his recent illness like fly's on crap, you'd all be singing a different tune.

June 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Canie

Thumbs down! I was a big Poison fan years ago but once he did those horrid Rock of Love shows (while fathering children) I lost all respect for him. NO THANKS!

June 1, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Krissy

Absolutely, Brett Michaels. I was not planning on watching but Brett Michaels is just the person who would make me tune in to watch AI without Simon. THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hugh in California

Bret Michaels? I sure hope not. The producers need to find an individual who is honest, but less condescending that Simon Cowell. There's a difference between being honest and being blatantly cruel.

June 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Spooger

All of a sudden, everyone loved this guy. It wasn't too long ago you all were calling him a joke becaused of his reality show on VH1. Too bad he didn't die, you all would have canonized his sorry butt.

June 1, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. Diana

Bret Michaels as a judge on American Idol....DEFINITELY a good choice. I thought he was outstanding on Celebrity Apprentice. I think with him on the show, the ratings would go up significantly from this last season. I think he would bring a new energy to the show. He's SMART, FUNNY, TALENTED AND CREATIVE and people of all ages and walks of life really like him.

June 1, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. KC

Noooooooooooooooooooo please Bret Michaels can't sing a lick he's still riding the coat tells of fame past.....emphatically and absolutely NO!!! That would be an added annoyance to the already annoying Randy (with that stupid dog business) Ellen (with her clueless remarks – she so has no place on Idol ..just because you dance doesn't make you qualified) and Kara (she's just a Paula wanna-be ....need I say more?) NO BRET MICHAELS!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. Patty

Howard Stern.....People may not like him, but he would be great...honest, and I suppose he might have to tone down a BIT...but he would be great..Bret would be ok, but could he give the feedback and not be so nice?

June 1, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. Genna

Harry Connick, Jr. was fantastic as a mentor. Has the musical knowledge of Simon, and the humor of Ellen. Go Harry!

June 1, 2010 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  18. Suzanne

Bret Michels would be better than Jamie Foxx, but I LOVE the idea of Harry Connick, Jr.

June 1, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  19. Cali

I vote that none of you know what you're talking about.

June 1, 2010 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. Terry

I agree Gene all the way!!! He is straight forward like Simon and he has his own record label!!

June 1, 2010 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. Scott

No way. Get Harry Connick Jr. He was awesome and hilarious as a mentor this year.

June 1, 2010 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  22. Lori

I vote for GENE SIMMONS! I think he'd make a great replacement for Simon.

June 1, 2010 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Yes...Gene Simmons has founded a lot of talent and also has produced a lot of bands.....plus look at his own extremely long career...he is smart, honest, believes in music and artists and all possibilities for the futures of artists and he would encourage people and direct them constructively in the direction they should be headed with their talents. I have been a KISS fan for 33 years....I know how awesome Gene is.....I vote for Gene as a possibility!! But Bret would also be great!

June 1, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dollbaby Melissa

Bret Michaels, my fellow Pittsburgh-er would make an excellent choice ! His experience in the music / marketing business, mixed with a GENUINE feel for what the record consumer and everyday man/woman would like to listen to & see, would make a powerful and entertaining presence as a judge on Idol .

June 1, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  24. Wendy

Bret Michaels would be a great choice! He's hard working, funny and knows music. Adam Lambert would be another. AI was totally boring this last season – poor quality singers and performers. AI needs a better voting system. Get rid of the multiple votes system. How about an Ultimate AI final? All the winners compete against each other. Maybe then I would watch agaian.....

May 31, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. V

Chuck Norris should take Simons place

May 31, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mushymushroom

Ryan Seacrest replace Simon
    then...
    Ellen DeGeneres replace Ryan Seacrest

Problem SOLVED!

May 31, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Barbara Herrera

Thumbs up. Bret we love in Texas,,,,i never missed your concerts when you came to S.A and i will never miss another Idol again if you are chosen as a judge.

May 31, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kikiva

Come in ... It should be ROd Stewert or no one at all!!!

May 31, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. amanda

i think bret would be an amazing judge. atleast he knows about music unlike ellen. dont get me wrong. i love ellen and her personality. but why was she even chosen as a judge in the first place. plus everyone has to admit the show will never be the same without simon and paula. i do agree with tulsa girl. they should be voted on by their performances not whether they are cute or not. come on.

May 31, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  30. lauratj

I think he could pull it off,the only thing is would he be able to be real honest & not a softy. I happen to like him alot (watched Rock of Love) as a person & musician. We shall see

May 31, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tulsa Girl

If Bret Michaels or Jamie Foxx either one are chosen, I will be through with AI. I also believe AI needs to come up with a better way to counter balance the teeny bopper girl vote. These 14 year old girls voting 10 thousands times for one person needs to be stopped..

May 31, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • T. Bev

I agree one thousand percent with your statement about the teeny boppers voting ten thousand times for the same "cute" guy with limited singing abilities. American Idol should be like Dancing with the Stars – a FIVE vote maximum. The way it is done now is ridiculous.

May 31, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amomof2

Aww lets not be a hater of teenie boopers voting. U think you threatening not to watch AI is going to hurt their ratings? U are just a crumb in the viewing audience. Ur answer n comment was well more of a teenie boppers way of thinking. How do you know its not the "singers" family voting a thousand times for 1 person?.........

June 1, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jean

THUMBS UP. I was not planning on tuning in to next year's American Idol since Simon will be gone. But if Bret Michaels is the new judge, then I will DEFINITELY watch. I and I'm sure many more people became new fans of Bret Michaels during his stint on Celebrity Apprentice. He has my vote as the new judge.

May 31, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimmy

Those were my thoughts exactly! I said the same thing to my hubby this morning when I told him I heard that Bret Michaels was in the running :)

June 1, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |