May 27th, 2010

Sarah Ferguson to appear on 'Oprah'

Oprah Winfrey has landed another newsmaker.

The Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, will be appearing on the June 1 edition of "The Oprah Winfrey Show," according to a press release from Harpo, Oprah's production company. No doubt she'll be there to talk about the recent video that showed her allegedly offering an undercover reporter access to her former husband, Prince Andrew, for half a million pounds.

The UK newspaper News of the World posted the video on its website Sunday.

In a statement issued Sunday, Ferguson, 50, apologized for the incident.

"I very deeply regret the situation and the embarrassment caused," the statement said. "It is true that my financial situation is under stress, however, that is no excuse for a serious lapse in judgment and I am very sorry that this has happened."

On Monday the royal family moved quickly to distance itself from Ferguson, who has never been far from the headlines since she married Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, in 1986. The couple separated in 1992 and divorced four years later.

"The Duke of York categorically denies any knowledge of any meeting or conversation between the Duchess of York and the News of the World journalist," Buckingham Palace said.

Prince Andrew has carried out his role as a British trade envoy since 2001 "with complete and absolute propriety and integrity," the palace said.

1. largeamericano

Sarah Ferguson is a sad, not too bright, woman – there are plenty of 'celebrities' out there who deserve this treatment, I don't think that she's one of them.

June 1, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jake

You love Sarah? How can you love someone who you've only met through media? She's mere pixels to you. If you want to love someone, volunteer in your community and meet someone in flesh and blood that you can perhaps donate your time to. Someone who deserves attention. Sarah doesn't deserve your attention, nor your time. Liberate your psyche from these ghastly attention seeking people; these cultural remoras.

May 28, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. melh

I love Sarah, but all these people out there who are earning so much money crying poormouth when so many others are starving and out of work...i'm sure the Duchess receives good compensation from her ex..she needs to learn to live within her means, like us little people do...

May 28, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. lauratj

Why does she have to appear on Oprah ?? did'nt she own what she did & say sorry ?? What more is there to say?? & Fergie:stop smoking–you look low class & desperate with a cigarette in your mouth !! any ,good wishes to you

May 28, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Charlotte

Sarah is a constant embarrassment who lives life way beyond her means and expects everyone to pick up the pieces and feel sorry for her. Her behaviour shows no respect for her children and her most compassionate ex husband. Ther is nothing she can say to redeem herself. She should go away and learn to live a dignified life and keep her mouth firmly shut.

May 28, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. vicky

The girls Beatrice and Eugeine have trust funds and expenses paid,Yes Sarah apparently gave up on a settlement and accepted the $21,000 a year,of course she did get $2,000,000 a year for 10 years from weight watchers,she has a problem with money and although I believe Andrew should have made sure she was financially secure,where do you draw the line?How much is enough?

May 27, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cyrus Howell

I understand that Sarah is liked by Queen Elizabeth, but shunned by Prince Phillip.
    She showed a lot of disrespect toward Andrew, no matter how much sympathy some people have for her.
    Google Sarah at the New York Post for a real close up from News of the World..

May 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cyrus Howell

The real danger is the Royal Joke has too much access to the media.
    I am sure Oprah is ready in case there will be another royal prat fall.

Is Sarah in the same class with sofa springing Tom Cruise, and has she joined The Church of Scientology?

May 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eva

Yup. Elizabeth should sell one her thousands crown jewels to make life for the mother of her grandchildren comfortable.

May 27, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ihls

Who can blame her? Nowadays with the economy as it is, almost everyone has financial stress.

To err is human. She fell into a mischivious deal. The eyes of the world should look too at the deceivers who led her to a trap.

I sympathize with her. She loves children.

May 27, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dusty Emmert

Oh, come on. A budget? Are you crazy!!!! She has EXPENSES you can't even imagine- the Queen's grandchildren require loads of education, clothes, secretaries and other household "necessities".If – just IF – one of those girls is deprived of something, people will be screaming about that, too. Its awful that Sarah had to do that – its awful of those people to set her up like that – maybe she felt that the press had had enough and she could just get on with her life. Leave her alone.

May 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • janet

I agree on the budget..what's she supposed to do?? by the kids clothes at Walmart...the royal family are coldhearted arent they..

May 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tiffany

I do not agree with what Fergie has done, but obviously there are reasons why she has to stup so low. I wonder if she has spoken to her ex-husband about her financial situation? I am sure he would have helped for the children sake and to avoid the embarrassment of having an ex-royal husseling for money. But what is really bothering me is the extremely rude comments about her. You have no idea what you would do if your back was against the wall.

May 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mychaeltodd

I honestly feel sorry for her, The Queen is a evil witch in a tower, holding all the gold and giving pennies to people under her, she should go down as the lowest Queen- OFF WITH HER HEAD!

May 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rh

i feel sorry for fergie, but Marion Berry probably would have not smoked crack in that hotel room if he knew there was a camera on him, too

May 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Eva

It's a shame that the mother of the Queen's grandchildren gets so little alimony that she is forced to grab every opportunity to earn more.

May 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Carolyn

I can't believe Oprah is having this dog on her show; does she not know if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas? This is one Oprah I won't watch!

May 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SCOTO

I never really understood the 'Oprah" thing. Now even less with the appearance of this parasitical woman who really should get some honest work.

May 27, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. righton

The amount of money she was trying to take in this "one instance" is more than I will probably earn in my lifetime.

May 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sardukar

..and who is Oprah ??

May 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Interesting sarcasm, but I believe more people know her than they know about Dune. :P

May 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. andre

I wonder how much money she asked for this?

May 27, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. brown

Bad move Sarah, Oprah simply wants to skewer you.

May 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. alumette

Is there room in Kensington palace for a madam and her entourage?

May 27, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. alumette

I guess my opinions are too racy for the moderator. Nothing I wrote shows up. What is the scoop here? Censorship already?

May 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Janet

Well, she is not exactly able to work at starbucks..and her alimony is ridiculously low. she's doing exactly what she needs to and the royal family should be ashamed.

May 27, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeah

I agree, she really got nothing out of the actual marriage financially. She has seemingly made some bad business decisions, but I'm not sure if Andrew couldn't help her out or if she even would ask for help. I also heard that the people took her out for drinks before all the video taping started so it could be she wasn't in her most rational state.
      She needs someone to help her live with a budget though.

May 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Vicky

Hopefully Oprah will do a breakdown of Sarah Ferguson's earnings and spending so we can all see how tricky living on her budget would be

May 27, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Justin

She should appear in front of a Magistrate, not Oprah.

May 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

I don't believe she did anything illegal. Just unethical and immoral.

May 27, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Leonard

I guess Oprah is hurting for attention too. What more news can they get out of Fergie.

May 27, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dawn

Another instance of "Sorry I got caught!"

May 27, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • sue

Could not agree with you more – would she be sorry if she was not caught and received half a million pounds? I don't think so.

May 27, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Susan

This is newsworthy? Who cares about these losers.

May 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Why must people ask why this is newsworthy? It clearly isn't newsworthy in relation to the big events going on in the world such as the S. Korean ship incident or BP's oil spill... but people need to take a look at the section they are in... this is the MARQUEE BLOG. Did you expect an item of "importance" or something?

May 27, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • caughtintheflash

When members of media create events (sting ops) none of us are safe from the intrusive video/pens (keyboards)
      of these vipers. I am suprised she hasn't learned to sniff them out. What a stench on journalism. Someone offer me $.

May 27, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |