May 27th, 2010

'Lost' finale bonus footage on DVD

In an interview with G4's "Attack of the Show," "Lost" Emmy award winner Michael Emerson revealed that there is an "epilogue, a lost scene" on the upcoming "Lost" DVD collection that was not part of the series finale this past Sunday.

Emerson hinted that it will be around 14 minutes in length, and will explain more about what happened after Jack died on the island and Hurley and Ben took over as its protectors.

We were given an idea in one of the final scenes that these two were on the island for a long period of time, in an exchange between the two characters while in purgatory, but this is the first time we've been told that we might actually see some footage of their time "in charge."

It's unclear whether this footage will be part of the sixth season DVD set, or only in the full series set.

Would you shell out the money to see this extra footage? Let us know in the comments below.

1. DVD

Being in the business of DVD duplication with http://www.cavalierstudios.co.uk/, I can say that this DVD was certainly one that found its roll of honour at our stakes.

November 1, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Petey

At first I hated the ending but after I took time to think about the last episode I realized it was GREAT. True Losties would analyze to death the last episode and I think most in retropsect would agree it was a great ending. Would love to see the new snippet episode.

August 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marie

Can't wait to see what happened on the island after Jack's death. All the LOST haters keep your comments LOST.

June 8, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Woody

Jack is the new smokemonster ! Lost is not over.....

June 8, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pedro

Why should I buy a dvd only to see another 14 minutes of bad acting by Jorge Garcia(who by the way works only because he is Lindeloff's bset friend)?
    And the purgatory ending sucked!

June 6, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lorraine Curran

oh,my gosh;you people have drunk the poisoned kool-aid, I know some entertainment attornys on the job–this thing is all about the fact that the producers are now exceedly rich and the actors are all payed the paltry sumes that they ,pretty much, started out with. hence, the after show with jimmy kimmel, in which, every actor said that they didn'T BOTHER TO WATCH THE SHOW, and didn't evince any interest in the outcome. they have,also, admitted that any explanation, which they deign to give us is on the expensive, new, boxed set.these people have no integrity, what so ever.

May 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perry

*scratches head* That seems to be really funny, because Terry O'Quinn and some of the others, who were interview during the "pre-game" Lost Perspectives show said that they did watch themselves and the show...

June 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. agnes

omg people,no one survived this crash, thats impossible. This was a very comedic tv show. If this show is what showed people what life is about then they really have no lives and no connection to real people in their own lives. Go out there live a life make your own connections with people not some stupid tv show.

May 29, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ian

I am realizing my dissapointments with the show are my own. I wanted the nuke to "alter" the timeline. I then wanted the altered time line to somehow be resolved by having them "remember" how it was in the old timeline and end up back on the island (somehow ending up in the spot they did after the nuke) to resolve things as they did.... on the island. So I guess I echo Fani.

Person of Science (fiction)

May 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JohnnyBoy

The wreckage at the end was not the initial crash. It is the crash of the plane that Jack saw just before he died. You can The plane knocked off the foot of the statue. The statue is gone (final scene). Took a few times to watch it to see it.

May 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Josh

Has anybody even considered the thought that the flash sideways could have been a psuedo purgatory also in Jack's head. Just because Christian said everything happened doesn't necessarily make it true if some person in a dream tells you that the dream is real does that make it real. I mean I got the obvious interpretation that everybody else got, but then I took it one step further and interpreted that the purgatory/flashsideways could have also been in Jack's head. People say when you die you go into the light which doesn't happen until Christian opens the Church doors. Just a thought

May 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KI

I have a feeling you have not seen the last of LOST it to much of a money maker and ABC not dumb. I think the writers will back track and come up with something to appease the fans. ex: reunion miniseries to tie up lose ends.) If enough money is thrown at them they will do more.

May 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MeBabyMe

I will wait for someone to post in on YouTube or as a Torrent file

May 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Fani

They couldn't pay me to watch it. I won't buy the DVD. After that ending, no way. It was the crappiest lamest most cop-out ending ever. Its easy to write a show with mystery when you don't actually have to explain any of those mysteries. Even the ending made little sense ( good though it was on its own ) and didn't belong in Lost. It belonged in a Nicholas Sparks novel and thus all the women are loving the show. It threw out all the science and finished with religious nonsense. People of science hated it and people of faith will love it, because its meaningless just like their faiths and provides no answers and asks everyone to take the ending on faith and pray it makes sense.

Disappointed in the ending.

Rest of the show is great. A+ for rest of the show and F for the finale/writers/final direction.

May 28, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Corvus1

Heck yeah, I would. I want to hear about what happened to the Ajira Six, too.

May 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Patrick

Live together, die alone. That was what this show was about: the relationship between these connected people. Without other people, we literally die... spiritually, existentially, physically, etc. LOST was about the "divinity" of those rare, meaningful, necessary relationships. "The time you spent with these people was the most important time of your life." – Christian. They all had to realize the depth of the emotional and otherworldly connection they had with each other in order to "let go." You can think of the bright light at the end as them literally going somewhere (heaven, nirvana, whatever). I like to think of it as the moment when you finally appreciate the desperate, emotional, absolute necessity of the relationships that have shaped you throughout your life. That moment was on Desmond's face when he called Penny at the end of the episode "The Constant". That moment was on everyone's faces when they remembered in the Sideways universe. And that's why we all cried when it happened.

May 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sugaree

Thank-you, Patrick. My sentiments exactly, as hopefully hinted at above.

May 28, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tyler

Obviously I must be thick! I came away with the they all died during the crash since they showed scenes of the plane breaking up, the crashed plan with no one alive around it, and Jack open his eye like the series started and then closing it in an "it all happened in a moment" then he died. Since they 86'ed the wreckage during the series, I find that showing the abandon wreakage with no one around indicating they all died. If in deed everything that happend on the island actually happened where did this wreckage come from? Why is Christian's character involved in this group limbo, he died before the crash and didn't work through anything? Entertaining series, but the writing for the finale was lacking.

May 28, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kristin

Crazy to me that the biggest complainers are people who either misunderstood the ending or didn't like the show to begin with. Part of the fun of the show was not knowing all the answers and developing your own theories. It is no surprise that the ending was written in the same manner. I agree that I would have liked to know a couple more answers about the origins of the island and the light but I don't get to.

And, in relation to this extra 14 minutes, is it any surprise that they want to make more money off of the the dvd's now that the show is off the air!?! Almost everyone in the entertainment industry would do the same if they felt it would make more money. I also don't think an extra 14 minutes is going to be able to answer all of the mysteries of the island's nature or change the general concept of the finale.

May 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jay

Meant to reply to boxaholic above. His post was dead on.

May 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. chris w

I'll just watch it on youtube for free after it comes out.....

May 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mrsibbie

Pay...NO.
    Watch it on YouTube the second it's released...HECK YEA.

May 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mort K

wow, what a surprise, a plot to absorb more money from the dedicated, disappointed fans. 14 minutes will in no way begin to explain the numerous unanswered questions. The writers blew it, obviously, and will continue to extract and pocket money for their mistake, but not from me...

May 28, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jessica

I think they should put it in the six season & the box set. That is the only way they can be fair to all the loyal LOST fans out there. It only makes sense...

May 28, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jon

NO WAY am I paying for their DVDs. I was smart enough not to buy them each season, but I fully planned to buy the entire series if they closed up all the storylines and major questions by the end. THEY FAILED. Lost had the chance to be the best TV series ever. But we were played for suckers. There are too many glitches/logic flaws/unanswered questions.

May 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I guess you'll be buying the DVDs then since all the MAJOR mysteries were actually revealed and explained. Most of the mysteries that weren't explained simply weren't important to the story, hence being abandoned in the name of answering the MAJOR mysteries before the finale.

May 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. taco

The point is, clearing up all the extra mysteries was not crucial to the story that the show was trying to tell over, and that's why it was left out. I hate to make the comparison, but the Bible also only tells over those points in the story which He deems crucial to the story... (and no, I don't know if there's a DVD release date for that one...)

May 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Speck

I would absolutely not pay, after buying 5 seasons already, most on Blu-ray, when I can probably watch it on YouTube anyway. Doing so for the profits of the 10% that are willing to pay is doing a huge disservice to the other 90% of the fans. Those 14 minutes are for ALL of us.

May 28, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bill Hannegan

I was waiting for the entire set to come out so I could buy it in one shot, but after that stinker of a finale I'm done with that plan. So are more than a few of my friends. They took an intellectual mystery-thriller and somehow converted it into a soap opera. If you couldn't answer basic questions in two and a half hours, what makes you think you'll be able to in 14 minutes?

May 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. blah

Looks like the Island is at the bottom of the Gulf and the smoke monster is escaping big time. Jack, where r u?

May 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. lost is lost

Fans should boycott this lame attempt by the show owners/producers to wring the last few cents out of the carcass of this show. Lost was a great idea that unfortunately got dragged through too many seasons of terrible storylines that had no connection to anything.

By the time they got to the end it was pathetic.

The only thing more pathetic than the show at the end is all of the fans who try to cover up for the the horrible writing by injecting their lame interpretations of what the writers and producers of the story should have done.

May 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Shawn

I don't mind these guys trying to make a buck, but after that disappointing finale there is no way I am going to shell out any more money for them. Not only am I not going to buy season 6, but I am selling my first 5 seasons on Craigslist. I tried watching older episodes after that finale, but they are all ruined now. I can't get any enjoyment from the show any longer. The ending was a major disappointment.

Anyone who dropped out of watching or never tuned in is way better off...

May 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  30. lost is lost

What a scam!!! They should have told this story during the finale, in the first place.

Scammers!

May 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Roberto Gallstone

I wouldn't buy any of this series, but I plan to rent the final season and watch it again. I hope the season 6 dvd set has lots of extra features. It's not something I would purchase though, because the show was all about finding out what was going on, so it wouldn't hold up for me with repeated viewing.

May 28, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • KI

This is the exact reason why I wait to buy the tv-dvd sets there is always add scenes. THere was an interview on mtv with the writers and they said there will be more information being released to clear up additional questions. I just think they ran out of time to explain it all in season 6 even though I think abc would have gave them a couple more episodes.

May 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

Ki, I only disagree with you in the sense that the finale was way overdrawn in the first place. If they wanted to explain more they easily could have in 2.5 hours. I equate the finale to one of those cheesy flash back shows where they use old footage and repackage it.

May 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MaxVan

Carefully choosing my words, here- Of course I cannot prove it, but I "called" it- when my friends and family were pondering what that TV show "meant" – I stated it meant 'Buy the DVDs'"- all the mysteries are solved by additional content you can only get for a fee. It reminds me of a different kind of TV Show- professional wrestling- where they'll tease the match you can only see on pay-per view. They call the fans "Marks", like Carnies called the people trying to win the ball toss. At all levels it's the same logic- finding ways of tricking people into paying for something that has no tangible value.So, I sincerely hope that all of their content ends up on some file sharing site. I'm honest and wouldn't illegally download anything, but if you're trying to make money by fooling people, I'd hope that the market counters that.

May 28, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  33. Frank

screw Lost – those jerks gave us nothing for 6 years. You say youll be upset if they only put it on the collection set? Really???? You mean you think they wouldn't screw you?? Havent you been screwed by them enough. They're just trying to earn a cheap buck.

Who creates a TV show, announces a finale and then says OH we'll add the "REAL" finale 20 minutes to our DVD.

May 28, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  34. kent

yea ill pay extra

May 28, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  35. skillet

Am I mistaken or was there a point where the creators said that the Oceanic flight 815 people were not dead and they were not in pugatory, as itsays in this article.

May 28, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  36. taco

I think I may first wait for season 7 before buying the full series set.

May 28, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  37. Ali Moorhead

I will shell out and sell my 1-5 if I HAVE to and buy the complete package. But for the love of Pete – stop calling it Purgatory – it's not purgatory!

May 28, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Binks

True, but we don't have a better word for it. "Purgatory" is about the best we can do without using several sentences to describe it. We as fans just need to collectively understand what's actually meant when someone refers to Purgatory.

May 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Peter

It's just another way to make money – I actually fell asleep after watching half of the first season so didn't follow it. the Ironic part is the number of people who were confused with the last episode – great way to be remembered – and to now say we have a 14 minute epilogue available but you have to buy the entire series. Who ever had that idea needs to go back to the drawing board. now you have to fork out more money to get this thing – and companies wonder why people download. I feel sorry for the fans this is a real bad way to treat them after they have been so loyal all this time. Funny you've never seen this with any other series – Glad i never followed it – nice way to be treated – Air the footage you Moorons if you have any sense of decency on you – you fans would love you for it.

May 28, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  39. Anne

Would buy it as I don't own any of the DVD's of the series.

May 28, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  40. Aaron W.

Being as how I've already shelled out for Seasons 1-5 on DVD, I think if it's not included in Season 6... I'd pass. If the network decides to include it ONLY in an entire series pack, it's argument #927 to watch illegal stream feed online. I hope they're not THAT stupid. I'd like to have my own pristine, off the press copy, but not if it requres me to double up on nearly $200 worth of purchases of DVD's.

May 28, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  41. Carrie

I will buy season 6, but not the full series since i already have all the seasons. Give it a month or so after it comes out and it will probably be on youtube

May 28, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  42. finale sucked

All the unhappy posts are deleted...

May 28, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  43. David

Why condemn someone for wanting more answers? Personally I feel they should have provided a few more, however the end was fairly acceptable. Perhaps they'll do a sequel sometime, or movie, and maybe we'll get a few more answers then...however knowing the LOST folks, they'll probably end up having 5 more questions for every answer we get. A show with Hurley as Protector and Ben has his #2 would be very interesting...perhaps we'd end up seeing little Charlie, Aaron, Ji Yeon, and perhaps Walt returning to the island (come on, Walt, you had no interest in trying to get your loving doggie Vincent back???); I also suspect that Christian Shepherd may have had a previous connection to the island that remains to be uncovered...so how about it, maybe a sequel, movie or mini-series? "Lost Again"? "Still Lost"? Ha, or maybe "Lost and Loster"!

May 28, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  44. Justin

Anyone looking for answers on the numbers google "Valencetti Equation" this will explain the numbers if you do a little reasearch. Also the heiroglyphics seens on the blast door and on the clock in the hatch are "representative" of the "numbers" used to understand the mystery of the numbers and the island.

May 28, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  45. David

I would pay for this if included in the final season dvd set, but if its something they put only in the "complete series" set, then forget it...a move like that will only encourage piracy...those of us like me who have already bought the previous seasons should not be punished and forced to rebuy the same thing we already have bought...and that is just what such a move would be doing...I hope they are not even considering such a thing.

May 28, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  46. Craig

Would be VERY upset and INSULTED as a dedicated fan if they blatantly put the bonus footage on the complete set only. Talk about a slap in the face to loyal fans. It'll be on Youtube in seconds if they do that, and rightly so.

May 28, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

We just watched an interview with Michael Emerson tonight where he said the bonus footage would be available on the complete season DVD package.

May 28, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Lucy

I think "LOST" did a major disservice to the viewing public with its wrap-up. If I get it right, the whole island was some sort of purgatory before moving on to heaven's waiting room - a church with an obvious stained glass window depicting all of the religions of the world. The "all paths lead to heaven" baloney.

May 28, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

@Lucy...no, actually you got it all wrong. Watch the show before you comment. You statement couldn't be further from accurate.

May 28, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

and P.S. this is a different "Craig" from the one that made the incorrect statements above. I actually liked the ending and understood that ONLY the last season's "flashes" were showing purgatory, but have mixed feelings about several things throughout the series that went unanswered. Many of them I can overlook and added to the mystery, many I felt were just lazy writing.

May 28, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Quirkydude

Lucy...you didn't get it right. The island was no purgatory. It was real and all that happened there happened.

May 28, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sugaree

Just wanted to add, Lucy, that ONLY Christianity and Islam even believe in a heaven. All paths Do NOT lead there. I'm Jewish (& a former comparative religion major) and have NO CLUE what Purgatory means, nor do we believe in an afterlife. G-d is instead found in relationship, just as Jack learned.

That last scene was so subjective as well as so much more than what you've perceived. There was a great post in the Beliefnet Buddhism newsletter concerning how classicly Buddhist the whole series and especially that final scene was. And there is no belief system farther from that of traditional Christianity than Buddhism. With all due respect to my fellow LOST fans, me thinks those disappointed with the finale and especially the ending, are being too literal and I fear that that latter may have gone over many a head.

Having said that, as much as if a LOST addict as I am, I will NOT pay hundreds of dollars I cannot afford for 15 minutes when I already have paid for all six seasons individually. It is also a matter of principle. A slap in the face to the MOST devoted fans to be sure.

Finally, as much as I'd LOVE to see that additional scene via You Tube, et al, how do people plan to get around copyright? Clips as that one are pulled and accts cancelled in a nannosecond.

May 28, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dougie Doug

Craig, you're wrong. What happened in the span of 6 seasons was NOT in Jack's head. Everything that you saw on the Island actually happened. You're confusing things because of the alternate time line/limbo. *some call limbo purgatory, but I do not believe it was actual hell.. It was a place they were all in at one point or another until they realized exactly what they NEEDED to realize, which is when they had the flashbacks to their lives ON the Island*

Time has no relevance when you're in limbo, and everything which was in every one of their post death sideways limbo lives was made up by them. The point is that yes, they DID all die, but they did not all die together, or at the same time. In fact Kate, Sawyer and those whom flew away lived, and for a long time at that. Why do you think that when Kate finally saw Jack in their Limbo state, she said " I missed you so much Jack" ? She was waiting for him, but he wasn't ready to accept his death yet. And this is directly tied to time. The time he spent in limbo could have been nano seconds in real life, but would seem like a different measurement otherwise.

This is no Dallas. You just don't get it yet.. or perhaps you just prefer to be annoyed or disappointed because it's easier than actually coming to terms with what actually happened ?

doug

May 28, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  49. Sarah

hell yeah I will buy the dvd. Anything to get more information and also it would help if I watched it all again...by some of the others' comments it seems I wasn't compulsive enough in my search for answers...I guess I just got hooked by the characters and lost interest in some of the themes....like what was the smoke....after a few seasons it was like 'who cares'? I just wanna see if Kate and Jack end up together or not?! :-))...all the science wasn't much of an interest to me...I liked the theology/mythological implications more.

May 28, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jerry

Hey Guys it is just a show!!!! entertaining till the end, I thought they made it pretty clear what it was all about. Yes they didn't explain everything, but did we really expect them to? I like a little mystery, and I am going to re-watch the show from the beginning and watch for all of the little things that I may have missed, watched the pilot and esp 2 last night and already hooked again!! Just enjoy the show and don't try to anyalze it.

May 28, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Rachael

Well, i think analyzing the show is part of the fun. Especially with all the themes and literary references, it's truly the work of great minds. But I COMPLETELY agree that I liked being left with some of the mysteries unexplained. I guess those with lesser of an imagination just want every single thing answered, which in many works of fiction does not happen. I like the Island being mystical and confusing and people following by their faith to protect it without a clear understanding of all the "what-if's". I started watching season 1 again yesterday with a friend who has never seen it. Already grabbing little tid bits of fun stuff!!!

May 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kit

Craig, love...you didn't catch the point of the ending. Season 6 was in everyone's imagination, Seasons 1-5 really happened and were the most important time in the characters lives. Christian was VERY clear in explaining that to Jack as he was coping with the knowledge that he, too, was dead. Season 6 were the people that loved and learned from one another waiting until they were ALL ready to accept their deaths so that they could go into the light together. At NO time before season 5 was purgatory the answer.

May 28, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Just to clarify, not all of season 6 was imagination. The events on the Island were real. The Sideways world wasn't so much "imagination" as it was a subconscious/afterworld representation of issues the charactes faced in their real life. (ie.- Jack's father issues being worked out by having a son in the Sideways world, Kate proclaiming innocence, Sawyer compensating for the error of his was in Island reality by being cop in purgatory, so on and so forth...)

May 28, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  52. Martin C

The series was great...the ending sucked. I wouldn't pay money for 14 extra minutes as the producers and ABC didn't make the effort. After watching the ending for 2 1/2 hours I would have watched another 14 minutes.

May 28, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • BikeRide

I get the symbolism of the final show of the coming together. But I don't get the whole "everything that happened on the island happend" Huh? No. Time travel. Why does moving the island cause time travel–and only to those of flight 815 and those on the freighter, but not the Others?

What about the DHARMA station in the North or South Pole at the end of Season 1 or 2? What did that have to do with anything? What was Whitmore's role besides a nemisis to Ben? Tons of characters were missing from the final. Did they not wait for them? Echo was one I was sure was going to be there. Nope.

As for "flash sideways" was misleading. This is the time when their soles are becoming united to go into the light, heaven or a better place. So their physical bodies are dead so it's actually a flash forward to beyond their present beings on the island.

I liked the consept of the story. But to me there was sooooo much left to be written (and could have taken a better direction to get there) and the writers took a quick easy way out. Having a release with extra footage proves my point.

May 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachael

BikeRide- i think you missed quite a bit... yes, not all questions were completely answered but everything on the island did happen. in regards to the time travel that was an experiment of the orchid station that i would say most of "the others" were not permitted access to. we come to find that there were a lot of secrets between ben and his gang, so i wouldn't find it surprising. and the time travels with the flashes happened to everyone when the wheel was not turned all the way (the wheel beneath the orchid station). it was inconsequential to see people who didn't matter to the storyline flashing with them. and whitmore's role was leader of "the others" until a greedy ben got him banished. as far as charles goes, he may not have been completely wholesome but i believe he truly wanted to protect the island, he came back with desmond to help kill the black smoke. as for some of the people missing, i think that was a combo of getting them back on the show and the fact that not everyone that met on the island were connected souls who would move on together.

May 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • BikeRide

Everyone doesn't time travel. Think you're fogetting the time travel when the plane came back with Lapidis flying with the Ocianic 6. Female Kwon and Lapidis didn't time travel.

TBH, guess I have larger expecations when someone tells me "Everything will be explained." Something like when Desmond turned the key and gained a power, being able to see the future.

And as for "Having to go back" as Jack said in Season 4/5. No they didn't. If it wern't for them going back the man in black wouldn't have been able to take Locke's form. Unless their goal was to go back, die and have Jacob killed. Ummm. That's the opposite of protecting the island. Plus now you make two orphans. Baby Kwon and Baby Claire.

And can I get an explination on the lighthouse and who it was to bring? Who was at the number Hurley was setting it too? Or is that something else that dosen't need to be expained? ;)

May 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

IIt was just a set-up to get Jack there so he could see further info that there was a purpose for him being on the island, so he would be willing to take on Jacob's role and save the island/light from the MIB in the end. The candidate had to be willing to take on the roll and Jack had to gain faith and pull away from scientic explanation.

May 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Craig

The fact that they all died, and those six seasons were all in mind of a dying man seems like the idea of a team of writers who could ran out of ideas. Holy Flashback Batman! Lets face it gang, been there done that.
    Think Dallas and the Bobby Ewing season long dream, or the Bob Newhart dream. And to rub it in our faces like we were stupid was just cruel.
    Don't get me wrong I loved the show but the ending was a MAJOR COPOUT.

May 28, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Not sure you really understood the ending......

May 28, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Curtis

If what you got out of the ending was that all six seasons took place in the mind of a dying man, and you were disappointed in that then GOOD NEWS! That's actually not what was explained. It was expressly stated that the actions that took place on the island were real and actually happend.

I'm sorry you didn't like the finale, but it seems you misinterpreted the ending as explained by Christian in the Church. Maybe if you watch it again (it's free on Hulu) now that all the hype and expectation has died down, you will come away with a different understanding, and hopefully enjoy the ending better.

May 28, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Quirkydude

..but those aren't the facts. It wasn't 6 seasons in the mind of a dying man.

May 28, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • JR

Epic Fail...Jack died after everything that happened on and off the island happened. The only events that didn't occur in our reality was the Season 6 Sideways World. Again..epic fail!

May 28, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

The 6 years weren't in Jack's mind! Those 6 years are what brought those souls together and helped them find peace in the afterlife together!

May 28, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Paulo

The only thing not real was the flash-sideways/purgatory timeline. All other timelines were real. If that was unclear during the series, Jack's dad explained it all in the final episide.

May 28, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • taco

i think seasons 1-6 only happened on tv...

May 28, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Um, Craig? That was not what the ending was. Everything that happened on the Island was real. The Sideways world was a Purgatory-like existence. When the time was right, and the parties were ready, their Island Reality consciousness/soul connected with their Purgatory self signifying closure and the ability to move onto the afterlife. Sorry you missed the point of it all. I suggest you go back and re-watch the finale.

May 28, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

Also, it has now come out that ABC execs tacked on the final stark images of the crash wreckage on the deserted beach to "ease the transition to the late night news" for mourning viewers, giving the misleading impression to some, myself included, that it meant everone died in the original crash. Not so. Bad move. Totally changed the celebratory tone of the church ending for me. Hope it's not on the DVD.

May 28, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve-O

Didn't JJ & Company explain during, or right after season 1 that they weren't dead, and the island wasn't a purgatory scenario? This was lame writing in the extreme.

May 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Anyone who thinks that the whole 6 seasons was purgatory or all in Jack's head is really just flat out stupid and should stop watching TV all together.

May 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casper

My thoughts, also.

May 28, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • April

Did you even watch the finale? The 6 seasons werent a dream!!! Pay attention!!! None of it was a dream-it was all real. The flash sideways' were purgatory but were not a dream. Good God man!- watch before you talk!!

May 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • diane Rosen

Craig: Everything that happened on the island was real! The only thing that happened after they died was the Flash Sideways.

May 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Craig. You didnt undertand the ending. Go back and rewatch the episode

May 28, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manny

Did you watch the last episode?

May 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Dude, pay closer attention. Everything that happened on the island was REAL. The flash-sideways was a projection of the characters' collective unconscious. They created that world so that they could all be together. Yes, I agree that this explanation left something to be desired, but to say that the events that took place over the course of the series was all a dream just shows that you weren't paying close enough attention. Best show ever.

May 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

May 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perry

Like others have or will mention, only the final season was in the mind of Jack... hence his putting on his suit, in the first episode, and noticing that he was bleeding...from his neck...
      And then the doctor, in the last episode pointing out to him, that he was bleeding...again.

May 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sur

Craig, you're a moron and should not have watched Lost in the first place. The show is way too intelligent for you. You should stick to sitcoms.

May 28, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lloyd

Listen mate. You obviously didn't like the show because you didn't watch what happened and what was said in the last episode. The island wasn't a dream of a dying man that was all real ! (While lost type real) And the flash sideways (the story running parallel to the island story) was made up but it wasn't just in jack's head, it was all of the survivors after they died getting together so they could move on together. It sounds like you just read the reviews of the episode in a paper and then tried to use what you read as your own opinion. It was a great ending in true lost fashion(it just wouldn't be Lost if there wasn't loads of questions to answer) looking forward to the extra 14 minutes.

May 28, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tim

Don't worry, I'm sure you will be able to view it on youtube anyways.

May 28, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  55. Lynne

I would absolutely pay for it. One of the most intelligent and entertaining series ever produced. I'm practically salivating at the thought of 14 more minutes!

May 28, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  56. KI

I am going to pony up money for the complete set dvd, I figure they willl put enough extra to outway the cost. (Amazon got if for about 27 a dvd) I was alittle disappointed with the ending but overall it fit. I would like to see them shore up what happen to Hugo, Ben and all the characters on the plane.(we know they died but how was there lives after the end of the show) Also explain the island, that big statue and how did they come to the conclusion of meeting in the after life was it Hugo that got that ball rolling since he could talk to dead people. Hmmmmmmm.

May 28, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  57. Pizzaman

People who needed everything explained missed the point of the series.

The central theme of the series was the science/faith dichotomy, with Jack representing science and Locke faith.

Over the last three seasons, Jack cast aside the shackles of science and realized that there are unexplainable things that are beyond the rational.

We got all the explanations we needed. To explain everything, or to explain the island further, would be untrue to the central theme of the show.

They gave Lost the ending I felt it deserved. The ending was true to the show.

May 28, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

If that's true, then I find it telling that Jack (science) represented good while Locke (faith) represented evil. Maybe Locke was a Southern Baptist.

May 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • P. Oaks

Amen, brother! I couldn't have said it better myself. After my friend finally got to watch it she said "was it really that predictable?" My reply was "We were given plenty of clues. We were obviously intelligent enough to follow and understand what the writers were trying to say all along." People who want things wrapped up in a neat little package are seriously lacking in imagination and lack a certain amount of respect for the writers and creators. It's their story, not ours. Watch and enjoy!

May 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

You must be one of the writers. I like how you guys started adressing the disappointment BEFORE the finale aired. it shows how you knew in advance the ending would suck.

May 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

There's no after life and there almost certainly is no god. Everything on this earth can be explained by science....if not now, then eventually with the progress made in ways of research and experiments. You are naive to believe that a father figure made everything out of nothing in 6 days and that's it....we're all his children. if you have a bit of rationale, you'd realize that your way of thinking is flawed...at best!

May 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kristin

Joe, believe what you want, but let others believe as they choose also, who has the right to say who is naive and who is not? No one until the end.

May 28, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Kathi

I would pay for season 6 set (since I already have the other 5 seasons on DVD) but I would NOT pay for a collection and would be seriously upset if they ONLY put it on the collection set.

May 28, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

I completely agree...to penalize the individuals who have been buying each season as they came out would be a complete slap in the face. There is no way I am going to pay for the entire series again for 14 minutes of additional footage that wasn't deemed worthy enough of being in the finale anyway. That said, I hope they do the right thing and put it in season 6.

May 28, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Nacho

I own the first 4 seasons on DVD, the first 5 seasons on blu-ray, and I intend to buy the blu-ray series box set. I support the show and I look forward to all the extras that WILL be in the series box set and NOT on the individual season sets. They always include more extras in a series set, that's part of the reason to buy a series set. If you really don't want two copies, give a set to a friend who hasn't seen the show and make a new fan of this great show, or if you must then sell it on eBay and get some money back towards the series.

May 28, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • AustinBaby

So after spending up to $100 for all the 1st 5 seasons I will have to buy them again just for that 14 minutes of info? I would rather not know. They have more than enough time to include it to the 6th season before it is released. I refuse to pay for it two times when I purchased them when they came out....Not cool to do to true LOST fans.

May 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Gerry

I would pay for a do-over of the final episode to include answers to the big questions that were left un-answered; e.g. source/purpose of the light, why does it need protecting, how/why does the time travel happen, what culture built the statue...the really big questions. I can use my imagination for what happened on the island between Hurley and Ben...no questions there. So...no, I would not pay money for 15 minutes of non-answers.

May 28, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Really? You need an answer to "what culture built the statue"? I'm going to take a wild guess here and say THE EGYPTIANS. I based that guess off of the fact that the statue was of an Egyptian god named Tawaret, along with ALL OF THE OTHER OBVIOUS EVIDENCE OF EGYPTIAN INFLUENCE ON THE ISLAND, like the hieroglyphics.

Here's something to consider: Arthur C. Clarke once said that "any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic." (I'm paraphrasing here, so forgive me if the quote is slightly off). The white light is probably exactly what DHARMA thought it was– a pocket of 'exotic' matter (likely some strange element brought here by a comet or asteroid) and the water kept it in a kind of stasis. Who knows? Would any actual pseudo-scientific answer satisfy something as clearly absurd as glowing light in a cave? As for time travel? Quantum physics. Who knows? Again, this is something that doesn't exist in the real world as it is, and can easily be dismissed as some kind of reaction to that crazy pocket of energy.

The thing is, we went along for the ride and suspended disbelief on a number of absurdities, in the name of these characters. We DID get answers to quite a few of the mysteries of the show, and most of those answers were fairly satisfying (what brought down 815, what happened to DHARMA, what was the incident, etc). I'm sorry you feel cheated by the ending, but seriously, a question like "what culture built the statue" is just lazy.

May 28, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Shawn

You should have been a writer on the show. You just did a better job in your post then they did with the finale. I mean that.

May 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • boxaholic

This is a bit or an embarrassing post. The sole purpose of the light, as explained in Across the Sea is it is the goodness of mankind. Had you been able to use a little critical thinking, it was strongly implied that this light and that island were the beginnings of the creation of mankind "there is light in every man."

The answer of why it needs protecting is fairly simple as well. Numerous characters had expressed dread and foreboding if the "light" were to go out. Meaning something bad would happen. That energy can be created and used to fuel evil, or if it goes out, will trigger the annihilation of mankind as we know it.

Time travel happened because when Ben moved the wheel he did not complete its circle (we found out mixing the light and water into some type of contraption could harness (in some way) the power of the light. However, Ben's turning of the wheel improperly knocked it off its axis and it began to rapidly travel through time until John Locke fixed it by completing the turning of the wheel.

If you need an explanation of who built a statue of an Egyptian god and build temples and underground structures in blatantly obviously Egyptian architecture, a show that requires grasping minute details, metaphors and conceptual thematic elements is clearly not for you. Did you even watch the show? Or were you just not paying attention?

May 28, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • boxaholic

*of an embarrassing post.

May 28, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  60. José

I hope that they place that on the normal season DVD.
    I have bought the 5 seasons on DVD so i would like to see that on the normal dvd discs.
    Hope they get back the 6 dvd with many extra features.

May 28, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  61. Phillip J. Fry

LOST is GAY. I want Futurama back.

May 28, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  62. Bob

I am still amazed that people are so angry with the finale – especially after I watch the series over from the start. The entire last season was a finale – a developing closure that focused on the real point of the show. I feel that the last episode was executed perfectly – I don't need to know why Tom (of the Others) wore a fake beard or why they were after Walt. I was invested in the characters. People got too caught up in the peripheral things and forgot about the entire point of Lost. It wasn't anything to do with Dharma or Hanso or Hansel or Gretel. It was about people and how they came to terms with themselves and each other. It was about redemption. Anyone who thinks the writers boned the finale is, quite honestly, missing the point entirely and probably won't be able to see it if it's pointed out to them.

May 28, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • tom

Right on Bob!!!! Excellent comment!

May 28, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Victor

I agree that questions need not be answered for the show and finale to be enjoyed in it's entirety, HOWEVER, it's obvious the writers got sloppy by the end. Prime example was the explanation of the whispers... really? Ghosts trapped on the island? Then why do we only hear them prior to an attack by the others? SLOPPY. Or when they "explained" the destruction of the statue as it was hit by the Black Rock... easy way out. SLOPPY. Or the fact that at the end of the show, everyone was cooing and oogling Aaron like they were so happy to see him... um, did he remember what happened to him on the island and subsequently when Kate/Claire returned? To be what, a baby again? SLOPPY. Not everyone's problem with the show is the lack of answers but more like the lack of logic.

May 28, 2010 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

@ Victor – I don't necessarily call those things sloppy. I always figured that any resolutions/answers presented to us would inevitably upset some. Some people wouldn't like the lack of explanations or even the explanations when given. Why is it sloppy to suggest the whispers are the souls of those who died on the island and who are still lost? Why is it sloppy to also suggest that the whispers can be heard at a time when a person is most vulnerable or frightened? What explanation to the destruction of the statue and location of the black rock would have been more acceptable? And why does the appearance of the characters at the end matter? Maybe they appeared to each other in the way they remembered each other. The point is that these are subjective reactions to answers that, at the end of it, are not really part of the ultimate question/answer of lost. These details are not as important as the overall resolution of the plot over the entire arc of the series. I think there are some better examples of holes in the show's choices, but then that's really being nit picky. For the questions that really mattered in the overall story, I think they executed it perfectly. It all comes down to opinion and our choice of which way we approach the show. I just hope you can remember it fondly like I will

May 28, 2010 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  63. Jeff in Aurora

Whats sad is that instead of letting us watch the 14 minutes, they put an extra what 22 minutes of commercials on the finale last Sunday. The rebroadcast on Saturday is only 2 hours and 5 minutes long, instead of the 2 and 1/2 hours Put the extra scenes back into the actual show!

May 28, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  64. Ohyea!

I will be buying the whole series, not just for the extra footage but to see the whole thing start to finish. ANYTIME I WANT!

May 27, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Joni

If you know anything about network television (or even movies for that matter), the cry of 'they should have put it in if it was important' is moot. They already conned the network into giving them thirty extra minutes to get what they could in, but you are dealing with serious time constraints with network television. They probably could have added an hour and made it beyond the already incredible that it was, but they only had the minutes the network could give them (minus commercials, even). I mean come on, folks. They aren't conning us with the extra footage, they just had to make choices.

May 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  66. pat

I have invested money over the last 5 years for the DVDs. Now there is going to be extra footage and it might be only in the full series DVD set? I will be buying the 6th season but if the extra footage is not there then that would be really uncool for loyal fans.

May 27, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. RaynaBayna

I think that if we have to buy thecomplete set to see it thats a crock! but if it comes on the just the season 6 DVD great! i am a true LOSTIE, i actually live on O'ahu and have seen alot of the scenes being made. I am a true fan and I do not think they will make you buy a whole set just to see more scenes.

May 27, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  68. F Melk

I saw the interview in which Emerson described this epilogue. I mean, what do you bet that it is nothing more than some contrived skit or bit of sketch comedy starring Hurley and Ben and NOT a canonical addition to our beloved show?

May 27, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Rob

When the original Star Wars came out it had a lot of holes that were never filled(how did the empire originate, how did vader become vader, what is the force) but that didn't ruin it for me. The subsequent two movies answered some but not all of the questions yet I didn't feel I was robbed at the end. Fans were happy to fill in the other details. Lost has always been about the characters and their development. Every episode was heavy in flashbacks or flash forwards of the characters. Yet the enviroment that the characters inhabitanted is being hold to a much higher standard by some fans. We want all the questions answered. Yet when Return of the Jedi came out, there was no outcry for answers. Who's the emperor? How did he rise to power? How did he corrupt Anakin?

May 27, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jim

My favorite tv series ever !
    Watch Lost

May 27, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Matt

If there's an extra fourteen minutes than it should have been shown. I shouldn't have to wait for the DVD to come out. The finale wasn't bad it just left some questions unanswered and I understand the logic with these involved, but some of these questions should have been answered. My main issue with lost is I felt that they strayed away from the main characters in the last couple of seasons anyway and thought many of there back-stories weren't fully resolved. Not only that, but the finale relied to much on the soundtrack and the ending with them sitting in the church was terrible.

May 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Mike

After Cuse and Lindelof totally boned the finale and pretty much pulled the wool over our eyes on the final season, how can I trust what they say about anything any more. I can't trust any serial show writer not to ruin things any more. I"m done.

May 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  73. bubbles m

didn't like the finale at first, but after reflecting for a few days realized how brilliant it was.....I will buy the whole DVD set the day it comes out....

May 27, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Tally

I already have seasons 1-5 on bluray, and no, I will not buy another set to get 14 minutes. That's insane.

May 27, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Linus

Wow. I see some of you still don't get the finale. Sad...

May 27, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  76. John

I'll buy the sixth season on DVD because I have seasons 1-5 already. However, I will not be happy if this extra footage is only on the complete series.

May 27, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  77. lucy

LOVED the series, the finale, i cried like a baby.. I agree, only losties will "get" it. It is and was a series for smart people.

May 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexander

Could not agree more Lucy!!!

May 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

It seems anyone with an IQ under 80 will not get or like a show as good as lost. You hit it right on the head Lucy, these people keep the reality shows in such a high demand. No thinking involved.

May 27, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

I liked it, but I wish Sayid had ended up with Nadia, not Shannon

May 28, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  78. It's me

People who didn't like the ending (or in their words, think it "sucked"), it's because they were too focussed on the details and forgot the show was about the characters. It would be like watching a great movie, like say.. The Godfather, and obsessing on why Marlon Brando had puffy cheeks and why he talked like that. It's a small part of what made his performance unique, but in no way did it define what the movie was about. I get that people wanted concrete answers, but knowing exactly what everything was about was NEVER going to happen. Just as in real life. When you die, you're not going to get the answers either. Does not being able to know the answers to everything make your life any less meaningful?

May 27, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Ryan

I will be buying the series DVD's for the extra footage. The series finale was amazing, and couldn't have ended better. I think its funny that people still comment about how much they hate LOST. These people keep Dancing With the Stars on the air I guess. No thinking involved...

May 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Grace

I have invested 6 years or seasons to this show, I have been a loyal viewer, now I have to pay to see something that shiould be a freebie?????I think not....

May 27, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Sebastian Knight

LOST is and always will be the greatest TV show ever. Hands down. And yes, it beats MASH. I agree completely with those who say the ending was disatisfying to us as complete fanatics of the mysterious ISLAND itself. That's my chief complaint: What about the island? All that afterlife mumbo-jumbo in the church wasn't all that bad, but I would've liked to see the island again....

May 27, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  82. CC

Perhaps the two, while walking back to the beach, come across Jack's body and give him the hero's burial he deserves (in the grave Ben was forced to dig for himself, no less). The ending was no worse than the one they gave Homicide: Life on the Street or Six Feet Under. Our heroes effectively got to go to Valhalla, which is pretty awesome, I think.

May 27, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Neal Williams

In regards to the folks who do or don't like the ending... it didn't matter to me as I was thrilled with the end.. Sorry some people didn't like it, but there is no way an ending could have been written that 100% of viewers would have been happy. I am glad I am on the happy side of it.. for me personally, it was the best television in my lifetime! kudos!

May 27, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mel

The writers never came out and said all the questions would be answered. Never once did they ever say this. And no one forced you to watch the show either. So quit acting like Ben when he killed Jacob " What about me?". You forgot me after i was loyal for so long. Now I'll just stab you in the back because I didn't get what I want. At least now you know which character you take after in the show.

May 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  85. John

I bought seasons 1-4 then stop watching the show. Watched seaon 5 on the ON DEMAND Channel. Then bought the season 5 dvd. And I will buy season 6 when it comes out. But will not buy a whole new set just to get 14 mins. Although I didn't like totally the way it ended, I find it acceptable. This program is for those who think. Not for those who want everything in black and white. There are parts I still don't understand, but that's why I bought the series. So I can watch it again. I give the writers credit for keeping us glued to the tv for 6 seasons. I will miss LOST. Wish it could have lasted longer.

May 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  86. kev

Yes, I'll buy the whole collection when it comes out, I have not bought any of the season sets but I think it would suck for the people who have, so lets just hope that they don't make them buy it again. I thought the ending was near perfect and dont really need every answer given. Gives me things to think about so I won't let go.....

May 27, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Hornet Montana

The program is a reflection of its times. Both revolve from "sucks" to "relief from sucking" at high frequency.

May 27, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • algriffey

very clearly i would shell out the money. is thate ven a question?

May 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  88. e11even

I'll be buying the series set on Blu Ray!

May 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Iggy

People that didn't like the ending didn't necessarily miss it's meaning....they missed the meaning of the show. It was never about mythology.....they didn't call it a Fantasy series or a Sci-fi series....it was a Drama....it was ALWAYS about the people...the other stuff did not matter. If you didn't get that from the beginning, you didn't like the show at all...just the backdrop it sat on.

May 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • finale sucked

if it was just about characters, they can do it on main island....no need for mystery island,smokey, mib, electro magnetism, numbers..

May 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • finale sucked

and perhaps u are not the real fan from season1 ...bcz at the end of season 2, the producers initiated a big discussion on Y! Q &A "what do u think is the smoke monster?" and they promised answers

May 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

I totally disagree, and you should get off your high horse... First, "Drama" does not necessarily suggest it is not fantasy or science fiction; those aren't mutually exclusive items. And frankly, I think many viewers would disagree on your description of the show's meaning. Sure, every show on television has some aspect of interpersonal relationships, but this show more than most very heavily focused on mystery/sci-fi storylines. To claim otherwise is a misrepresentation. Character development was inconsistently spaced, as some episodes in various seasons were *entirely* about the island. After season 1, was anyone saying, "Golly, I wonder how Jack finds his peace with his daddy issues."? No, but people have always wondering what the secrets of the island were and what the various clues meant.

May 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iggy

what you want, and what the writers intended are two different things. It seems to me like you two are on your high horse in expecting them to give you what YOU want...instead of being writers and writing a show based on what they want to do. Smoke Monster was answered – Jacob's brother, thrown into the source by Jacob in a rage...this shows that both Jacob and his brother are flawed. In being thrown into the source, he lost his body, and all his humanity. The island, it's an island.....and on that island is access to a great power, similiar to Star Wars "Force"...what is the force?...i've never heard an explanation...except that it's like Duct Tape...a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. The answers are there....if you don't think they are, go read the transcripts of all 6 seasons. If there are things unanswered, the producers have promised SOME more answers...perhaps not all...but SOME on DVD extras. And as with all literature, it is left up to intepretation. This isn't a mindless television show, this is something that could have been written as an incredibly interesting series of novels...and as are with most....there are openings.

Lastly....if you don't like it, walk away from it...quit comlpaining like a child that didn't get their way, and let those of us who DID enjoy it talk amongst ourselves about what we did like about it. You are spending a lot of time on something you don't like...seems immature and counterproductive.

May 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • finale sucked

@lggy:
      we are complaining afte six years of dedication to lost...the authors & producers always promised that they knew what they are doing and promised answers..people like are the ones like bones in the soup..

you feel happy and covering for the writers..

thanks to nickB..read this..

May 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  90. David

I love LOST, probably my favorite show of all time. I didn't like the ending at first, but starting to understand it more. I think what got me most was that I wanted to see Jack, Sawyer, Kate and whoever else was alive finally get off the island. Seeing jack die was really sad even though we see him at the end sitting with everyone in the church. We want to know that they are all ok and alive, not dead. Just human nature.

May 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Tim

I thought Lost viewers were imaginative, introspective... smart! I'm truly surprised how many people were disappointed with the finale... the ending was PERFECT! They simply couldn't have ended it any other way.

What is the island? Figure it out for yourself. How did MIB become Smokey? Draw your own conclusion. The producers NEVER gave us solid answers throughout the show's run... that's what the show was about, figuring things out based on your own beliefs and depth of vision. I know the answers to all these questions, because I know what they meant to ME!

Namaste LOST

May 27, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • finale sucked

in that case, there was no need for the "finale" to begin with..let alone six years of FRAUD

May 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

I understand what you're saying, but I don't really agree. I wouldn't suggest they need to spell out every last detail for the show to be successful. But there is a fine line somewhere between leaving small mysteries for viewer interpretation, and having glaringly large plot holes regarding key details. Remember, no matter how "imaginative, introspective" and "smart" the viewers are, it is still the show's role to be telling the story – not having the audience invent their own. If everything is up to us, why even watch TV? Let's just imagine all day.

May 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • final sucked

@Kyle

They did not even answer a single mystery..island's mystery was integral part of the story..

I dont get how come none of the "wise guys' " interpretation match the others..Most of these self proclaimed wise guys think that everybody died after Oceanic 815 crashed..

May 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Tobiwan

http://www.dealsworld.net has the best price for TV series. I have yet to see one show of "Lost" . I have been waiting for it to end, then purchase the whole series for a reasonable price and enjoy on my time table.
    Example:
    Dark angel 69.00 Stargate SG 1 all ten seasons 125.00 and many more

May 27, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Bahooka

No way.... the ending was disappointing enough. I will wait until somebody uploads it to the torrents!

May 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  94. not rogers

Question for everyone who didn't like the finale: did you get a group discount for your lobotomy?

May 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

Woah, so clever. I think you have what it takes to join the LOST writing crew. :P

May 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  95. TruLostFan

I watched every show and loved Lost but the ending truly did suck! And yes, i COULD write a better ending with a hangover. Seriously, the series started going downhill in Season 4.

May 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • finale sucked

You are absolutely right..most people that liked the fianale, did not watch the first seasons LIVE..it was the DVD sets..so they have no real sense how lost began..and why the TRUE LOST fans stuck with it for six years..

jeez, tears & hugs makes a great finale??

May 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • AaronBenjamin

Well how would you have written the finale? At what point within the two and half hours would it logically make sense to answer all your questions? Jacob was gone, after his ashes were burned up the castaways wouldn't be able to talk to him. Would hearing Flocke talk about the island history have helped even though most of the mysteries like the source were present even before his time? I do agree that the important mysteries like "What is the Island" is a question I would have liked answered, but come on. We were given pieces of that puzzle and now it's up to us as a viewer to intelligently put it together and figure it out. It's a part of good story telling.

Oh and Finale Sucked. I am a true fan and I have been watching since the beginning and I thought it was beautifully done. I have the dvd's re-watched the episodes, I even bought the episodes on iTunes when the iTunes store introduced it's TV show function when the first iPod video came out in 2005.

May 27, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • finale sucked

@AaronBenjamin

you say imp questions like island are not answered but finale is good..what is the meaning of "finale" then?

imagine a CSI where they show the crime, tech to solve the crime but not the murdere..and keep doing it again every week...and promise they will show the kilers after six years...and then tell u ..that not gonna tll u..

island spawned more than 80% of the series and compromising that OK not to reveal what island is just pure BS..

May 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  96. cringle

Those who think the ending didn't suck and those of us who thought so missed the point – perfect case of 'The Emperors New Clothes".

This show ended up being a scam. Seriously, somebody should compile a list of ALL the loose ends and mysteries that were dangled out there to string viewers along for 6 seasons and then abandoned and never resolved or explained – relegating a good deal of the series to meaningless nonsense filler.

May 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • final sucked

You are on the spot..I've been flooding all the discussions with the same thing..

All these "wise" people think they understand the ending, but there no ending..and each of these interpretations contradict the previous wise guy's..go figure..

May 27, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • AaronBenjamin

Here's your List

146 mysteries over the past 6 seasons
      9 unsolved
      14 Partially Solved
      123 resolved

15% of the mysteries of this show over the course of 120 hours were unsolved/partially solved. I see that as success.

Seems to me that the writers did a very thorough job when dealing with most of it's mysteries. Not to mention the 14 partially solved mysteries can be easily figured out by using your logic.

May 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derrick

Those "solved"/"partially solved" from Lostpedia are bogus. Just look at the circle of ash and the island's healing entries and you'll see that only a chump would consider those mysteries answered.

May 27, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  97. woody

@Rogers, how did you make it through your own abortion?

May 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Lynn

I too alreday have seasons 1-5 and plan on buying season 6 when it comes out so I'll be really upset if they decide to put in a full set version. Lee I agree a totaly slap in the face to those fans who bought the DVD's throughout the years

May 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  99. rogers

Question for everyone who liked the finale: did you get a group discount for your lobotomy?

May 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  100. woody

Jack turned into a new Smokemonster when he layed in the light pool too long. You can see the black smoke coming off of him. His souless live body is then seen in the same water pool with an old deadtree and black lava rocks where Jacob finds his Brother's body after his soul was turned into the Smokemonter in "Acroos the Sea. You can match the area in both episodes very easily.

The new MIB or "Black Jack" Is the what Hurley and Ben must battle as their job as protectors.

May 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  101. chris

who ever says that last episode sucked is a moron and probably would be better off watching cartoons maybe those arent to confusinsg for em. that was trhe best show ever put on tv and im waiting for season six to come out to finish my collection. and B u are right that would be a great spinoff

May 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

The ending didn't suck because it was confusing. It was actually quite spelled out and easy to understand. It sucked because it revealed that if the writers ever had a plan it, it wasn't a very good one. All the mysteries appeared to be impromptu ideas that were just meant suck you in and keep you watching. Now they want to entice us even more so that we'll buy the DVDs. Just seems like it's all marketing.

May 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Lee

I've already got seasons 1-5 on DVD, and have season 6 preordered. I'd love to have the extra footage, and will be very annoyed if it's only on the full-series set. I think that would be a slap in the face of those fans who have been loyal and bought the DVDs all along.

May 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  103. boocat

Damn right I would shell out the bucks...I already have the first five seasons....LOST is, in my view, the best show ever to air on tv.

May 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  104. b

i want a hurley and ben spinnoff. that would be the best show ever!

May 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • carolyn

It could be the "dark and twisty" version of Gilligan's island- the skipper and gilligan! LOL I would love that!

May 27, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Brooke

Nope. It will just be more questions and no answers. Fool me once........ Actually they fooled me for 6 years. Long con.

May 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Steve-O

I have S1-S5 on standard DVD already. Will get S6 to complete the collection. But I've also pre-ordered the Blu-ray edition of the Complete Series. Sorry, I don't believe in pirating media even though it's perfectly legal where I live. Besides I like owning phusical product.

May 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rexx

Steve-O;
      Where the heck do you live, that it's perfectly legal to pirate media?

May 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Jackson

Hey, Nikko, the dvd's *will* contain and ending that doesn't suck. A lot of us were quite happy with it, thankyouverymuch. The only thing that sucks around here is how it sucks to be you.

May 27, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Tracey

yah, who BUYS dvd sets anymore?? LOL a few hours and you can download the whole 6 seasons ;) Anything to see Ben & Locke again yay!!!! ps. I thought the ending was as love letter to the series, amazing & heartbreaking and very very LOST!!!

May 27, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bacon is my Master

Who buys DVD sets anymore? Probably those responsible and mature individuals that want to show their support to the people who made the series possible. You obviously enjoy the show. Why steal it?

May 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trigger

Who buys DVD sets anymore?? Oh, no one I guess, which is of course why TV on DVD is a multi-billion dollar industry..but you're right Tracey....apparently no one buys them any more! And when did stealing become okay...oh that's right, of course...EVERYONE does it, which, of course makes it okay. LOST is an amazing show, and it is worthy of proper, PURCHASED ownership.

May 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Matt

Can't say I'll buy it. probably will pirate it like 4 million people pirated the finale episode this week. I watched the pilot episode of this series on New Years Day this year, caught up to present by the 2nd episode of the final season. I'm totally and utterly hooked on this show. Will i buy it? No. Will i see it anyway? Yes.

Another thing, this is to Michael Emerson: Hey dude, I really make a killer breakfast omelet. Come on over some time and I'll make you one, I'd like to chill for a bit if your free.

May 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • carolyn

Yeah Matt,

You and the other 4 million people are what's wrong with this world.. stealing/pirating/ whatever... glad you respect the laws and other people...I suppose ethics and morality are not words in your vocabulary...

May 27, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Lola

no need to buy the series for the 14 minute bc it will be on youtube the day after its released

May 27, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Karen

Yep, I'll spend the extra money to get the deleted scene. I haven't bought any of the Lost seasons yet, but intend to buy the entire series.

May 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  112. nikko

Unless the DVD contains a series ending that doesn't suck, no, I won't be buying it.

May 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tilly

May 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

Think you could write a better ending? Probably not..

May 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • URDimwit

Whatever. If you can't keep up, don't try to watch a show like Lost. True fans loved the ending.

May 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LYZ

MAN IT DID SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS);

May 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick B

Sigh... for those who think those who weren't satisfied "didn't get it", read this: http://futuretom.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/an-open-letter-to-anyone-who-thought-the-end-of-lost-was-awesome/

May 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

Why do you guys jump on people who didn't like it? No, I wasn't thrilled with it, though I think it was acceptable. The ending focused almost exclusively on bringing resolution to the characters, and glossed over explaining the history and meaning of the island (except for allusions to religious cliches and magical powers with unexplained importance). And yes, I'm a "true fan" who watched the show obsessively for all six years, and I fully understand it (to the extent it was actually *explained*). They could have done more, and it's fair to criticize it.

May 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Tilly

"The people who keep saying Lost's finale sucked, obviously didn't fully understand the series or the finale. If you had, you wouldn't feel this way."

No Tilly, we fully understood the ending. That's the reason why we think it sucks.

May 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I thought the Lost finale sucked because they spent half the season on what turned out to be a postscript to the story, not because I didn't get it. I'm fine with the kumbaya moment, but don't spend half the freaking season on it before we find out that's all it is, kthxbai.

May 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Anyone who thought the finale sucked are stupid. Literally meaning, you have low IQs. it was amazing. So what if not all the questions got answered?! The way they ended it was perfect.

May 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

All the unanswered questions can be found in the various books mentioned and shown throughout the series. You just have to read them as that's where the writers got most of the ideas from. For instance, the island and its possible explanation can be found the book read by Desmond on the plane in Season 6 Episode one, " Haroun and The Sea of Stories". Americans are notoriously lazy and want everything handed to them on a platter. Well the writers are basically saying, you want the answers? go read a book! Yeah I know it sucks. You actually have to read a book to get the full gist of the show! What will you do now? Whine and complain or actually take the time and find out the answer?

May 27, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • rk

It did stink. Using the afterlife excused them of ridiculousness because no one can call the writers out or hold them accountable.

May 27, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • fringer

Here, here! Ending was bad so why endure more? Mel, it's a TV show, and our disliking the ending doesn't reflect our personal moral fabric. It means we didn't like a TV show about people and places that WEREN'T REAL. Chill. Everyone involved made a lot of money either way, so I don't think I'm ruining their night's sleep with my tiny opinion.

May 27, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • kc

Here, here!

Man, I'm so tired of hearing that fans who didn't like the ending of LOST weren't real fans or didn't get. I'd been a fan since the beginning, have rewatched seasons 1-4 3 times and season 5 twice. I got the ending, alright. The point is, a purgatory ending is the least creative ending they could've possibly come up with and it has essentially NOTHING to do with what we've seen for the last 6 years. I'm also tired of hearing people reiterate the exact words uttered from Damon and Carlton's mouths, "It was always about the characters" blah blah blah, when they even failed in that area as far as I'm concerned (seeing as the finale was primarily a love letter to Jack). And yeah, I get that the SIDEWAYS universe was purgatory, but it's not like that makes it any better. A purgatory ending sucks, period. As far as I'm concerned, Darlton have pulled one of the biggest long cons in TV history – guess I'm just one of the people who realizes that I've been swindled.

May 31, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Sara

I've already bought S1 – 5 and have S6 pre-ordered and the extra footage is little enticement to shell out more $$ for the entire set again. I'm sure we'll be able to find the footage somewhere on the web..

May 27, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

My love letter to Lost: http://keninthecity.blogspot.com/2010/06/fantastic-journey.html

June 9, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |