May 27th, 2010

Jesse James' father denies abuse allegations

During an interview with ABC News’ “Nightline” Tuesday, Jesse James alleged that the main reason he went to rehab after cheating on Sandra Bullock was because he’d been “terrorized” as a child.

“My whole childhood, I never had a chance to be a kid,” James told ABC News correspondent Vicki Mabrey. “[My dad] beat my [expletive] pretty good a bunch of times. Football star, bike builder, Monster Garage TV star – all that stuff was a huge smoke screen so people won’t see that I’m a scared, abused kid.”

But in an email to ABC, James’ father Larry denied the allegations of abuse, and told RadarOnline.com in an interview that the scenario James recalled to the point of tears during the interview – that his father broke his arm – didn’t happen the way James described.

While James told “Nightline” that his father chased him in the dark, and James fell and broke his arm. “I remember my dad laughed at me when I hit the ground and called me a dummy. I was petrified of my dad. It wasn’t so much getting the [expletive] beat out of me or getting my arm broken, it was the in between time, the fear of that happening again.” James broke down in tears at that point, because he said he was the same age as his youngest daughter Sunny when his father broke his arm.

James’ father told Radar that he too remembers when the injury, but said that James left out the part where he helped him up and took him in for treatment afterward. The incident started, Larry said, because James had kicked a ball into their landlady’s yard and hadn’t retrieved it by the time Larry came home from work, despite being instructed to do so.

“When I got home from work at 7 p.m....the ball was still there. I told him to go get it. I took a step towards him, not to hit him, just to prod him to get his butt over there,” he recalled. According to Larry, James then threw a fit and ran over to a fence, “to show me how tough he was,” and ended up falling and breaking his arm.

“He neglected to say that I was right there at the fence, picked him up and lifted him over the fence and I never let go of him until his hand was in a cast,” Larry said. “He sat on my lap all the way down there [to the hospital], my ex-wife drove us. I felt guilty because I made him go get the ball, but I didn’t break his arm. He did it himself by throwing a tantrum.”

"Nightline" also showed a photo of a younger James with a clearly visible black eye. James never said how he got the injury, but Larry told Radar that it was from a crash on a minibike. “He had a black eye…but for sure, I never blackened his eye. I cried when anything happened like that,” he said.

Larry believes that his son’s allegations stem from animosity fostered within the last six to eight years. “For some reason, my son hates me and I know it’s because of his image,” Larry said.

“God knows I’ve made a lot of mistakes, and unfortunately most of them have been with women,” he added. “As far as bad feelings towards my son I have none. I love my son with all my heart; I’d die for him today….I wasn’t that way at all, and my heart cries out to him.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Jesse James

1. Julie

I watched Jesse's interview and cannot remember a interview that was so honest and straight from the heart. He admitted his mistakes and has publicly apologised to Sandra and his kids. Low self esteem and being unsure of one's self can manifest itself in a whole lot of troubles. I send healing prayers and thoughts out to all those who have suffered any kind of abuse. I am proud that Jesse has admitted he has some problems to deal with.

June 17, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Patricia

I think people should just lay off Jesse James, the man gave an interview and expressed his remorse for his actions. There are always 2 sides to everything and though I don't agree with cheating on a spouse, I think this man has been dragged through it enough by the press. He was man enough to admit his mistake and I think he has some personnel demons to deal with. Just because on the outside a man may seem to be big and tough, it doesn't mean underneath it all he isn't unsure and dealing with low self esteem.

May 31, 2010 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. SB

There are so many ignorant people on this thread that I wouldn't know where to begin to comment.

May 30, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chip

A guy could envy you for the woman you lost it to, but I don't. I don't envy wussy mama's boys.

May 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lauratj

I guess there is always an excuse for our behaviors but does;nt it also boil down to choices :: right & wrong ?? i believe he was abused ,why would he lie about that–however,would having multible affairs erase all the pain. It seems as if it has only brought more. Good Luck, Jesse–you really need it. Peace

May 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Alan

It doesn't matter if Jeese James or his dad is liar, child abuse don't mean Jeese can cheat on his beautiful wife, period!

May 28, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. C. Miller

I can't tell you if his Dad is lying or not but I actually lean towards believing him because I think Jesse is one messed up man that doesn't know love or anything genuine. I never watched his show but watched his season of Celebrity Apprentice. At first I loved the guy and how he interacted with people. But near the end I almsot became disturbed by his behavior. Sometimes he was laid back and funny and others he looked like a little kid who was throwing a fit and didn't want to answer questions. He says he loves his ex-wife yet screwed tons of women...that isn't love. Now he throws out abuse complaints. I think he needs more mental health help more than anything.

May 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jan

The bottom line is, we all have/had issues. As adults though, we have a choice. Deal with whatever baggage you have and get beyond it. Is it easy? No. Is it painful? Yes; but, at some point AS AN ADULT you take responsibility for your own life and how you choose to live it. You can't live your entire life blaming your parents for what you do as an adult.

May 27, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. james yeamans

I'm an idiot. Can I sue my old high school for not educating me properly?

May 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anthony

Regardless of whether or not his "abuse" stories are true or not, he's just looking for sympathy. His image is shot. He cheated on America's sweetheart, everyone hates him, he's losing endorsement money, and now he looks like the s***bag that he is. If he never got caught, he wouldn't be crying on TV, saying how sorry he is. It's funny how everyon'e s sorry when they get caught. He's just looking for people to fell sorry for him. So he cheated because daddy didn't hug him enough??? Puh-leease.

May 27, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Frustrated

Man, if I could blame everything i've done wrong on my parents, I'd never have to answer for anything. As a matter of fact, I grew up with 5 other siblings and great parents. Even when I have screwed up ALL BY MYSELF, I've had a therapist attempt to convince me that I have issues from my childhood. I guess it is because the world is completely dysfunctional and its hard to adapt when you came from a functional family unit. There you have it, I'm warped because I came from a "normal" family. I see so many people in their 40s and 50s blaming everything on their childhood. O.K., we get it, you poor baby, had it rough. GROW UP and live as an adult and face your consequences and STOP LIVING IN THE PAST! UGGGH!

May 27, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. drake

I had a tough childhood and I turned into the exact opposite of people who did wrong things. It fuels you to be better. If your dad is a womanizer, like mine was...and it destroyed my family, it has made me the most loyal husband and father because I would never cause that pain. Jesse got caught and he could care less about any of that stuff.....he is like so many people...a dangerously narcissistic person who is psychopathic in his bent to please himself.

May 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shawn

Just when things where already bad for this guy, he adds on childhood abuse! What does that to do with what you did! It's amazing how people can put the blame on someone else for his or her behavior or decisions that they make. He should have not said anything, got lose for a while and leave Sandra alone. The more I read about him it makes me wonder what in the world did he tell Sandra to make her want to marry him. I guess it's true when they say opposites do attrack.

May 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jessie is Gay

Rumor has is that Jessie is actually gay and just wanted to get out of this marriage.

May 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessie is gay is gay

I see your same stupid remark on every article about this man. Maybe YOU'RE the gay.

May 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Leonard

Jessie if you could lie to Michelle McGee about Sandra and you being separated to get in her panties, there is no reason why you wouldn't lie about your Dad breaking your arm...Let's change your name to Jessie Shame... and you cry too much.

May 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Steph

My Mom, Grandma, Grandpa, uncles, and neighbors all got a piece of me whenever I was out of line. By out of line, I mean, speaking when not being spoken too, not doing what I was told, not listening, backtalking, those kinds of things. I got my behind tagged, and I'm thankful for it. Seems like Mr. James is reaching for some sympathy, but the only sympathy we have is for his children and soon to be Ex-Wife. I could call what my Mom and Grandparents did to me abuse, but it was really I love you, I know better, and you will learn from this. I did and I'm okay. I'm sure therapy would help more than it would hurt, but blaming your Dad is just a cop-out Mr. James.

May 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. joe

What ever happen to just being stupid...everybody's got an excuse these days...now there are no idiots, because they all have an excuse.

May 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. joe

He's a big cry baby–Throwin your parents under the bus like this is pathetic–Stop blaming everyone else and blame yourself you big moron...I feel really sorry for his Dad...poor guy got thrown under the bus by his own son–

May 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jeanie

Look. If I had all the beating I needed, I would be a vegetable. My mom was a single mom. My dad took off after she was pregnant with my sister. I have only been to jail to minister since my husband & myself are prison ministers. DON"T blame your dad no matter what. You are old enough, Jessie, to know better. By the way, I am 76 and my children have done well, aren't abusers like my first husband, their dad was.. If you are a cheater, own it!! Stop blaming someone else.

May 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lisa Poole

Most of these comments show what a quick to judge others, but expect understanding for our wrongdoing society we live in today. Abused boys do grow up often to be neglectful, lying, cheating, sometimes abusive men. This is a cycle that needs much more attention and help to help all of us. Stop analyzing Jesse, and realize that many people out there today need help healing with, dealing with, and changing habits from an abusive past. It's not an excuse. Prolonged abuse causes huge scars and behaviors that are dysfunctional.

May 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Well Said Lisa Poole!

May 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betty

Of course abuse damages, you are responsible to get professional help yourself!!! We are a product of our parents. N0 pity parties please.

May 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Thor 74

The Bible states that the sins of the father are visited on the children for several generations
    Should we all not try to be the best parent that we can – so our furture generations do not suffer so
    The one thing my dad did to me just burns in my brain after all these years
    And he thinks it was nothing!

May 27, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lenny

Whether or not any of his claims are true, how pathetic that Jesse would come out and blame his father for everything bad he has subsequently done as a grown man. "My father beat me, therefore I'm a womanizer." Just when I thought I couldn't have had any less respect for Jesse James - well, there it is.

May 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Person

Sandra and Jesse got married. Jesse screwed around on Sandra on purpose and now they are getting divorced. Tell me where in all of this his dad had anything to do with it? There are two people in a marriage and if you have daddy issues that are screwing up your marriage maybe you should discuss that with your partner. Sandra must not have meant that much to him if that kind of communication wasn’t shared between the two of them. They must have never really tried to get to know each other. My husband I know everything about each other and it makes life a lot easier to deal with when you know why your partner is acting up or lashes out. Even if they don’t say they are having problems a spouse who knows you, notices things changing.

He should move on, maybe think of being single for awhile (or forever) and Sandra is moving on. Now if she takes him back she has only herself to blame if it doesn’t work out again. Do people deserve second chances? Only if they are willing to change and I would like to think that Jesse’s awesome rehab and daddy issues are far from over.

May 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MontrealMary

This guy is a loser.

May 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Laurie

Of course his father denied it. Abusers always do.

May 27, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jesse and idiot

Are you serious? this guy would sell his own mother. His excuse was he was abused as a child? Like Ive never heard that excuse before. He's scared that he won't be making as much money anymore cause nobody would watch his show.

May 27, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. darlene d

If his dad abused him and now denying the allegations, he will have to carry around the guilt of that forever. However, JJ needs to grow up, keep his mouth shut for awhile, keep a low profile while he's doing that and move on. Of course, I still don't believe a word he said.

May 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Max

We heard this load of crap before haven't we? Blame someone else for your problems; grow up dude!!!

May 27, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. richard

until you have walked a mile in this man's shoes......... all i can do is forgive. he has a right to be human all you got to do is look at that monster garage show and see his dad was no walk in the park,just like my dad. it was our generation. the way most parents [dads] did things back in the day. and to conquer that fear of our dads some of us "would act out" in various way it is just in our system. and when we look around and see the people who we have hurt and now have lost its a lonely feeling. to jessie's dad come on man you are one tough cookie ,,,,,, jessie i can't judge nor will i throw stones..... you have enoughof them that are hurled your way. these entertainment tabloid shows are battering you. keep your head up. you are only human. don't let this keep you down, this is life .......... from a blackman........... keep your head up and stay up.

May 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mike

Jesse:

I too had a father that didn't hit me too often. But like you I remember the "in between" times as times of fear. My dad died when I was 16, I'm 64 now. If he was still around, he would say he didn't do anything wrong. But he drew blood once; he left bruises that literally lasted for years, he cussed and belittled me frequently.

The nightmares lasted for nearly 30 years. I'm mostly over them now.

I hope that you will get on with life as best you can. Treat your own children better. Love much. Live long.

May 27, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. JJ

Childhood abuse does affect you as an adult, I know from experience. It does NOT make it right to cheat by all means but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if his wife is a "star". My parents still deny any wrong doing but I have had to better myself and reverse the damage caused with years of counseling. If you have never experienced abuse you have NO right to throw stones at this man and yes, show some compassion for someone showing remorse.

May 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Lisa

I think everyone has been abused at sometime or another, either from a parent, a spouse, a friend, etc. I was abused by my mom (emotionally) and by my dad (physically). Try having a gun from pointed at your head by your dad with the words falling out of his mouth "I should pull the trigger now" because of an altercation that he had nothing to do with, but later came in like he knew the whole story. Also, having your stepmom deny it ever happenend to protect the man she loves, even if she was standing there while it occurred (there were other witnesses as well, who do not deny it), my son being one of them, who was 3 at the time, who which pulled out a water gun and said "bang bang grandpa I shoot you too". I moved away and it took me a year to talk to my dad after that. Did I forget, no, not at all, but because I love my dad, I forgave him. I can tell you on countless times of my childhood life growing up around my dad, on his drunken raging nights, the many times he beat me and my brothers with shoes or belt buckles, chasing us out of the house on a snowy cold night and locking the door with us being in nothing but our night clothes until our mother came home to let us in. To the time of witnessing him stabbing my mother, at a very young age, with a coke bottle opener and at one time with a butcher knife. But each time I make a mistake, I do not blame it on my Mom or my Dad, I blame it on myself. I am an adult, and I make my own decisions, that may not always be the best, but it definitely is a decision. If it is the wrong decision that may hurt someone, I apologize for what I have done, hoping for forgiveness, and then I have learned a lesson, in which in hopes to never make that mistake again. Jesse has realized his mistake and is trying to apologize publicly for what he has done to Sandra. I commend him for that. Remember, don't pass judgement as you are not completely sure of what has really happened, only what you hear. There are always 3 sides to everyone's story, Side A, Side B and Side C. Side A is the First Person Telling the Story, Side B is the Second and Side C who is the witness, and in some cases, may not exist. So, unless you were there, so you shouldn't past judgement, because Side C may not exist because of your absence.

May 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. FAITH

Grow up Jesse, Parents are responsible to lead their kids in life, and
    show some touth love when it comes to disipline, you are a man now,
    to me your dad was disipling you not abuse. Take responsible for your
    own mistakes. I don't know why Sandra date you anyway.

May 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  34. rabid dog from jersey

enough of this b.s my old man beat the heck out of my 2 brothers and myself !! i 've had many problems but i don't blame my old man i am in control of my life not him –grow the f^ck up and deal . the only thing jesse is worried about is $jack$ .excuses excuses we've become a country full of wa wa baby's !!!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • sparks

I agree, I absolutely believe this is a MONEY MAKER for Jesse James, before Sandra, and this bs, I had never heard of him before. He keeps crying around to get more attention and fame and money.

May 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Laura Bachner

Ok. I read the story and his father's version doesn't quite make sense. Coming from a home where my father was very abusive to my brothers and sister. I guess I was taken pity on because I was tiny. My father tied my brother down with rope and beat him with a dog chain because of a little green pen mark he has put on his stereo speaker. He smacked my sister across the face with a telephone receiver for calling my mother to come home one night. That is just part of what he did in a long list of abuses, so I know what James is talking about when he says it was the waiting for the next abuse to come is like. My father could go from being nice once second and literally blowing up the next. It also creates the flight or fight response in you. My younger brother turned to drugs from all the abuse he went through and landed up overdosing on it back in 1999. My oldest brother has a terrible time connecting with most people. My sister and I stuck together even those she got her share of the beatings at his hands.
    It did teach me very well how I do not and will not ever treat my children. I made a promise to myself when I was young to never be that way, and to this day I have never hit my children and never will. All it causes is fear and pain. No is no in my house but to hit my child is out of the question period.
    Yes Jessie screwed up both figuratively and literally and his marriage will pay the price, but I do understand where he comes from and hopefully he will learn from his mistakes and end the cycle here!

May 27, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. NETTIE

My father beat us and abused us in every way shape and form. He would hit me in the head on my ear when I was a little girl. Gee wonder how I got that hearing loss in my left ear. He would get angry over something very small and turn the kitchen table over – of course he would wait until my mother had just put the last dish on the table for dinner...
    We ate toast or cereal for dinner more than once, he use to rip the phone out of the wall.
    This was when you had to call the phone company to come and fix the phone.
    After the millionth time the phone guy said if you do this again we are going to charge you 100.00 for each visit.
    My stepmother was not there for any of this abuse, and she denies all of the abuse.
    My dad said it did not happen none of the abuse happened, so wow what a surprise that his dad denied the abuse.
    This explains Jesse’s actions but does not excuse them but I do know that it makes you feel like crap about your self. I have very low self esteem to this day and I have all his words of abuse in my head.

May 27, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Laura Bachner

Nettie, read my post below, I know where you are coming from too. Does the motto if you stay quiet you stay safe ring a bell. All through high school I was shy and very quiet. I rarely if ever invited anyone over to my house because he had chased a friend of mine down the street with a pair of hedge trimmers for dropping my bicycle on the grass.
      You have to be the one to give yourself your self-esteem back. He took it from you, it's time to take it back. Get yourself in shape, get a great job, and if he is still alive, never speak to him again and live your life. You survived childhood with that man but what you do with your adulthood is up to you. Good luck!

May 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Stoneflye

What a wuss he turned out to be...no real biker...just a phony

May 27, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • silentriderC

You're an Idiot.. You don't think bikers are capable of showing emotion?? Just because he showed emotion, does not make him a phony, it makes him human you nincompoop..

May 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Cillian1977

Boo hoo, I was abused. Boo hoo, nobody liked me. Boo hoo, my daddy hated me....excuses, excuses.

May 27, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  39. Hopeful

I've been reading all the articles and responses to those articles and I feel many need to take a step back. Have they never hurt someone before? Made a mistake that has caused somone pain? Sure it might not be the same that Jesse did, but let show the guy a little compassion. Everyone is so quick to point the finger. Lets offer a little forgiveness here and move on with our lives.

May 27, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  40. hollymanzer

New Foto Helena Bonham Carter Nude 's for Playboy!

May 27, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  41. eastcoast6

They're both telling the truth. Have you never told a childhood story and your parent says it didn't happen that way? We all have, because we perceived it differently at the time. The fear he recalls was real, and the behavior recalled by his father was real.

May 27, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  42. Trish

Everyone reacts differently to abuse and abandonment. My mom left my dad for another man. And then my dad dumped my little sister and I with our older sister. My little sister does not view the abandonment as negatively as I do. It has affected every relationship I have ever had. For other people to judge this man’s personal experience is not right. I don’t think he is making an excuse for his actions. I think he is being honest and kudos to him for getting help. Some people never do.

May 27, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  43. shalom

Stupid Jesse, all you need is to ask God and Sandra to forgive you. By pointing one finger at your dad, you have three fingers pointing at yourself. Media should stop featuring him, What a sick story to hear.

May 27, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  44. CATom

Leave this poor guy alone so he can go back to building crappy bikes.

May 27, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  45. mfstout

Jesse's a liar. He has no credibility. He might be telling the truth about his Dad, and he might not, but at this point it doesn't even matter. He's just another cheating crybaby who needs to blame his own character flaws on somebody else. For Christ's sake, grow up Jesse. Be the tough guy you've always pretended to be.

May 27, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Terry

True Lisa many do grow up with scars and behavior problems but with someone with as much money as he has he could have gone to a Counselor and or to rehab as he did, not wait till he did his dirty "D' and use it for his benefit! This guy is not to be confused with real people who really do get abused and do have long lasting effects and don't have the money to get help.......this guy is just a liar and has realized that his popularity and image is now tarnished and that without Sandra is his nothing! Grow up and quit making up things to get Sandra to take you back, you know thats what your doing...playing it up big time to get her back! I hope she doesn't she deserves better then you! If I were you I'd put some of that money you spend on useless tatto's into some real Couseling to help you with your lies and cheating ways! Seems like the ink has gone to your head and made you STUPID!

May 27, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. jae

One last thing, the one big thing that you say was abuse, that your father laughed at you and called you a dummy for breaking your arm when you stomped off after disrespecting him, Child Abuse? Really? it would have been child abuse if your father wasnt there when you broke your arm, you racist idiot. I do not know Sandra, but what you did to Sandra was abuse and I am sure you cry everynite over her, but you need to look at your children and apologize to them. you need to forget about Sandra, because you need to make it up to your kids, you racist idiot. Unfortunately, you cheated on them as well. You gave them more abuse then they can and should have to handle. try to imagine their school life, you racist idiot. BTW, you are a racist idiot.

May 27, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  47. Lisa

Ditto. My parents beat the crap out of me all the time. I'm sure everyones reaction is different in the baggage they carry after such abuse. Parents rarely take responsibility for what they did wrong. If they thought it was wrong they probably would not have done it. We can make a difference in our childrens lives and Jesse James should have thought of that instead of excusing his actions and blaming his childhood. His actions are going to damage his children too. Hopefully his kids break the cycle. Jesse have you provided counceling for your children?

May 27, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

It is not an excuse, but honestly, the only thing at stake here is that the guy cheated and his wife wants out.

He should admit he cheated, get a divorce and move on. He can only change his behavior, not erase whatever his dad did. If I had a dime for every time my parents hit us or laughed at us, or pitted us kids against each other, I'd be rich. But damn straight it wouldn't be my parents who would be messing around in someone else's pants if I cheated on my spouse.

May 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jeff

What a crock of crap! This guy doesn't deserve a stage. He's a mess! Save the press for something good in life, NOT this worthless piece of "dung!"

May 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  49. jae

You know, I had a little sympathy for James as man to another man who messed up. but I hate people who blame there childhood for all of their wrongs as an adult. My Mom and Dad never physically abused me, but my father left us when I was 13. My older brothers left with my dad. My mom met a guy when I was 14 and she moved in with him. I was left on my own in the house that my parents bought 3 years after we moved to this country. This all happened 8 years after coming here from korea because we were told, we would have such a better life. Well, now that I am 35, yes my anger sometimes is out of control, my decision making process is kinda wack sometimes. I am sure that those things have something to do with it, but James, seriously. No matter what, you dad was there. I am sure he slapped you around a little, but abuse? sounds like you need more therapy. I never had therapy, but I know it could help me, but at this age, to blame my parents for me taking a picture with a Nazi hat? C'mon Man. If you broke your arm running into a fence because your father gave you a look for not respecting him, and not listening to him when he tells you to do something, is abuse. Its abusing your father. Growing up, my mom used to disipline us with a wire coat hanger. some mite call it abuse, I call it, I will never do that again. Abuse and disipline is very different. Look, I have been unfaithful to my wife but it wasnt because of my parents, it was because of me and her. Nobody else. take responsibility. smiling for the camera because Sandra said she is proud of you for going to rehab, Great, now how are your kids with you going to rehab? Because unfortunately, your kids are now victims of Child Abuse.

May 27, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • bgray

like what you had to say and how you said. it is NOT good to hear when people have had such troubles(as we all do of some kind) but it is good to hear how -as you have- that they grow and learn from them–not use them as excuses. just wanted you to know because that takes a lot of heart and soul bless you

May 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

I agree with Jae, I have 3 kids and they have all mouth off things that never happened or didn't happen the way they say. All but one has grown up and realizes she was wrong to do that and has asked for forgiveness, the other two one of who is in the military and 35 and doesn't speak to me, why wish I knew, I don't even rate a reason, not even for having brought him into this world, the other one bad mouths me and my husband who raised her from the time she was 9 years old who's father never even payed a day of child support and wanted for nothing. She should be singing her praises to us instead of lying and making stuff up to get sympathy and believable when they want some attention!! To Jesse and my kids, grow up and quit using your parents as escape goats, learn to accept your mistakes, your not a grown up till you do. I too have have bad memories of my childhood but instead of slamming my parents, I became a different person from them! I'm sick of hearing complains from the peanut factory, everyone has a story its life, but don't dwell on it and use it for your gain!!

May 27, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • thumpr1019

I agree with everything you said except you said you cheated because of you and your wife. I don't believe your wife forced you to go out and break your marriage vows. She may not have been perfect, but you didn't mention anything about her holding a gun to your head.

May 27, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jin

How insensitive and dumb for you to critisize anyone who finally admits they survived child abuse

May 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Angela

Yeah, my abusive stepmother "doesn't remember" all the crap she did to me either, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. However, I don't use it as an excuse to cheat on my spouse and mistreat my family.

May 27, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

People need to cut Jesse a break. He has a disease.
      America needs to wake up!

May 27, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Amen Angela!

May 27, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bikerchick

A disease?? And which disease would that be? Stupidity? Self-centeredness? Lack of backbone? No morals? Or maybe "it's never my fault"-itis. Why is it when people do something wrong and destructive they can't help themselves, they're sick, and we're suppose to feel sorry for them? Just GROW UP!

May 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • jls

I agree with you totally....My stepfather beat the daylights out of me, sometimes for no reason...Did it turn me into a person who cheats? Nope and no way!

May 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • christine

It is really easy to throw stones at people when we haven't walked in thier shoes. I totally understand where Mr. James is coming from because I too am a chronic cheater. I have made some horrible decisions that have destroyed many relationships in my life. I never knew why I did the things that I did until I started going to therapy. I will never say that my parents are to blame for my decision to cheat but they contributed to who I am now. I am extremely self destructive and feel the need to sabatoge the good things in my life. Therapy has taught me that I am filling up the gaps that I felt from childhood with the desire to be needed, loved, and desired in ways that make me happy for the moment. Just like taking a drug. The only problem is that once the drug wears off, the pattern starts all over again. We all internalize things differently and then act out those emotions in various ways. Some drink, some do drugs, some find comfort in others. It would be nice to make the right decisions all the time but right and wrong tend to blur together at those times when we aren't so strong. I applaud Mr. James for coming clean. Best of luck to him figuring out how to stop his destructive behaviors and move on to a happier place.

May 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |