May 26th, 2010

Look for lots of Cowell love on 'Idol' finale

After weeks of more lows than highs, the winner of Season Nine of “American Idol” will be revealed during a two-hour finale on Wednesday night.

It’s all come down to the top two: Crystal “MamaSox” Bowersox and Lee DeWyze. But really, we all know who the person of the two hours will really be:  departing judge Simon Cowell.

Speculation has run rampant that beloved former judge Paula Abdul will be returning to give tribute to her bud Cowell, who will be making his final appearance as an “Idol” judge.

And while I’m hoping that next season starts off with Cowell in the shower and fans learning it was all a horrible dream, I’m willing to bet that they will send our favorite bossy Brit off with style.

All of the “Idol” contestants will once again take to the stage, and pop sensation Christina Aguilera is set to perform. The show needs to pull out the big guns, because according to Billboard.com, ratings for Tuesday’s performance show were down 15 percent from last year.

Watch here for a discussion about the lackluster finale:

Such drama provides a backdrop for the decision between MamaSox and Lee, who had been fairly well-matched going into the finals.

My ears say MamaSox should have easily triumphed over Lee, whose nerves appeared to get the best of him. Yet you can never underestimate the power of the tweens and teens who have helped keep Lee afloat.

With “Idol,” anything can happen!

« Previous entry
  1. sharon

She will sell more, he wont. I will buy what ever she recorders. . The veiwers vote for looks not talent. She will show them!

May 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fred

I called it from the beginning. Same thing that happened last year. The best performer didn't win coz when it came down to the final, people voted for the person with the most universal appeal. That's what an "idol" is.

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Divastar

I really was so unhappy that crystal did not win, I voted for her four times. She has the best talent in singing. It was not fair. I will buy her music, not his. the voters should think before they vote, those stupid little girls dont know anything. They should realize that this is a singing contest, not a beauty contest.She sang the song Black Velvet and Up To The Mountain ,and she blew his singing ability out of the water. People just do not know the best talent when they see it.

May 27, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dennis Beauchamp

This was one of the worst variety shows ever presented. Amateurish directing – old performers so far past their prime I am sure it scared the kids in the audience. Above all it is why American Idol may become irrelevant. It is such a poorly done live show it could very well scare off it's viewership. JUST TERRIBLE

May 27, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. dogs rule

People voted for the best all-round performer, and not for the one who looks and sounds like a train wreck. Lee is easy to listed to. The Screamer had only ONE kind of song – "folksy" – and that doesn't make it in the music market. Also, who in their right mind wants to LOOK at someone who looks like she's been run over by a bus?

May 27, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ari Carlos Sipriani

Eu penso que os dois estão no mesmo nível, cada um com seu estilo. É provável que Lee vença a competição. Eu daria nota 9.5 para mama e 9.6 para o Lee. Os dosi são cantores razoáveis.

May 27, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Chuckles11

Well its nice to know people vote with their hormones and not for whose got talent.

May 27, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Where have you been? Take a look at any show out there... people don't vote based on the more qualified, they vote on their favorites.

Talent means nothing to the general masses when the person is just that cool/popular.

May 27, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. CJ

Crystal is hands down the better performer. She was the best all year. However, she does not have the vulnerable. 'dreamy' appeal of Lee which just makes girls from 12 to 17 go nuts. His win tonight was simply about the demographics, not the talent.

May 27, 2010 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bhakti

Love Lee...am thrilled that he won...he has this shy, vulnerable appeal. Crystal was better on the final night but nothing could out-do Lee's rendition of Hallelujah....Crystal lacks appeal..I agree with Kamshane – this outcome is good for both and both will do well..

May 27, 2010 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. kamshane

I actually like both Lee and Crystal, but I think Lee would have also agree that Crystal was by far the most talented performer all year, especially Tuesday night, when she blew Lee off the stage (her last song will go down as one of the best performances in Idol history.) Idol has become a popularity contest since Daughtry lost to McPhee in season four. But just like Daughtry's loss, I think Crystal will actually be better off with a loss, because now she the recognition and can do an album the way she wants (just like Daughtry, and his album did pretty well as I remember). The win will help Lee more because he is a good guy but needs the win to give him more confidence. I actually think that both finalist will have a great career ahead of them.

May 27, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. LYLE

THOU CRYSTAL SHOWS ARTISTRY IN HERE PERPORMANCES LEE ALWAYS OUTSHINES HIM,

May 27, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sherri

My daughter and I are SO happy that Lee won! It made this whole season worth the watch! It really is too bad that BOTH couldn't win something because Crystal also has loads of talent! I congratulate both of them on a tremendous run!!

May 27, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. classicgal

Done watching idol!!!!!! The better of the two comes in second two seasons in a row. Will find something better to do with my time.

May 27, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. JG

So wrong....Lee is just not in same league as Crystal. Example, Joe Crocker and Crystal lit it up...was Lee on stage?
    Matters not, Crystal will have the success, on her terms, regardless. She's go the heart and the talent...and is fearless of the big stage..She was great!

May 27, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. yvie

Yeah!!! I'm so happy that Lee won!!! It truly is a beautiful day-Crystal is talented, but Lee has that special something that she was so lacking-something called star appeal. Luv ya Lee

May 27, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • westly

You obviously have no sense just like the rest of the world that voted for Lee. He is a 1 in 5 performer. Crystal is a 1 in 10,000 find with originality. Lee has no stage presence. The win should have gone to Crystal who can actually light up the stage with here uniqueness and true talent.

Come on people.

May 27, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jenna

Crystal has talent on the par of the late great Eva Cassidy. Lee is a trained monkey. I'm suprised Hello Kitty wasn't voted in as the winner.

May 27, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. vee

Crystal had better quality voice..the runner up always gets the better deal..

May 27, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. terri

Why didn't the make up / hair stylist people help Crystal more??? her hair do should have been better, she would have looked a bit neater and cleaner.
    She is a good singer but I am glad Lee WON !!!

May 26, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. joni

YAY.... I just watched the show and am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy about the new American Idol WINNER. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yippee....

May 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Chris

Crystal is hands-down the best. She should have won, but I'm glad she didn't. She should be glad too. Now she will get a real record deal, with much more artistic freedom than she could possibly have had if she had won. She is one of the best vocalists to come along in a long time. If that's what the show were about, she would have won. Lee can't even sing. There were at least three other contestants who should have lasted longer than he did, so he had better enjoy his fifteen minutes - that's all he'll get. Siobhan and Casey will both do better than he. Time will prove me right about all of them.

May 26, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ellis Island

Overall, the finale was quite lame...some of those singers no longer have it, and it looked like Janet J was going to have another wardrobe malfunction. Congrats to Lee (and his tween/teen idol base), but Crystal will sail much higher. She is a true artist. Happy for both of them as neither had little coming into this. The show has been great for both of them. Crystal: you are a star...you go girl!!

May 26, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. love

@suzyljank, you got it right. That was the same thing i said. Crystal was the best singer, but her dreads did her in. She was not clean cut enough for the voters. Same thing that happened to Adam Lambert last year. The prejudice that people have against others that look different or act different from them is still very much out there.

Crystal will do better than Lee. This will be another Adam Lambert case where the runner up does better than the winner :)

May 26, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. edsg

After Adam Lambert's epic performances in last season's Idol, I don't see how future contestants can fill that void. Is it any wonder why most of the comments on this season of Idol in blog pages have the word 'Boring' in it?

May 26, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  24. suzyljank

Congrats Lee. Crystal will do just fine too. Personally I think the dreads and tattoos did her in. Her voice was great but lots of people out there like the clean cut look and she didn't exactly give them that. It's too bad too. You'd think people wouldn't be so prejudice.

May 26, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Timmy

Vote For The Worst strikes again!

May 26, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sam P

Odd show, highlights were Bret Michaels and it was nice to see the old Idols and Idol contestants.

The rest was pretty much like the rest of the seaon – boring.

May 26, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. joe

That would be Casey and bowersox will do better. Crystal turned up the heat these last nights, came out a real singer working great with those she sang with. Lee sucked with Chicago, FLAT AS HELL. What a sang bag job of voting by the young lids that voted for LOOKS, not talent.

May 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Joe

I thought the show was good tonight, good mix of old and new singers/bands.
    But YOU VOTERS GOT IT WRONG!!!! LEE sucks, he proved it last night and even tonight. Crystal was the talent the last two nights. She sang great, she was the better singer. Hell I'd put Casey in front of Lee. You watch, Lee and Bowersox will do better then Lee.

May 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. peej

YAWN..................try reading books instead of watching crap on the tube.........

May 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kania

Lee goes to no where . Crystal is the best.

May 26, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dano

Agree with you, Kania. Crystal is the new Carrie Underwood, Patsy Cline or LeeAnne Rimes. Talent will out.

May 26, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. pixenees

Its 3.49 am in South Africa, and I am so tired, have to be at work at 8, now waiting for the results, Must be Lee.

But this years' contestants were not as good as previous year.

May 26, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. taralynn

Where was David Cook?????

May 26, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  33. georgiegirl

I don't watch Dancing with the Stars....I mean, how often can you watch the same routines and try to act enthusiastic. As far as IDOL is concerned, I truly enjoy watching the show. At the beginning of this season I thought the gals were much better than the guys....I liked Crystal since the beginning, but I think after awhile all of her songs sound the same (kind of), and I really can't stand that 'hair'. I really began to like Lee a few weeks ago, and voted for him last night. Basically, I think both will do just fine after IDOL ends. As far as Simon is concerned.....I have adored him since the first time I watched the show....I think he is just great, and will miss him very much.

May 26, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Vonnie

Crystal is and always was the one contestant this year with actual talent. She doesn't have to worry about someone producing for her. She is authentic and makes me feel good about music in the 21st century. That, too, is important about an American Idol. Cute didn't work-Casey's gone, and a shy and boring persona with a face that is reluctant to smile will not make the cut tonight. Lee always looks like he's surprised that people like him. His vocal cords are shot after so many weeks singing with poor vocal technique. Yadayadayada, etc. .....

May 26, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Seattle Base

Only five judges picked the winner. The AT&T text and phone votes are for ratings only to see how many people are watching the show. If you vote many times then AI thinks amny people are watching.

Its all hokie with the votes – hence – no one will ever know the true totals. EVER!.

May 26, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  36. CW

Go Crystal !!!

May 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bob in Tulsa

Lee is obviously a nice guy. However, if he does manage to win, I predict that he will become just as big a powerhouse recording success as what's-his-name. You know – the guy who won last year.

May 26, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Gerald

I don't think either of them can perform with a damn – both are too heavy, too dull, lack any kind of spark or excitement and their choice of songs last night was dreadful. I wish they would both put their guitars down and do something. Glad I taped it because it didn't take long to fast forward it. I will tape again tonight to see Simon's tribute but not either of the singers unless they change their style and fast. I think the show has had it's run anyway – "Dancing with the Stars" was fabulous and is head and shoulders above Idol now.

May 26, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  39. moon627

I HATE THIS NEW BLOG FORMAT !!! WHAT A P.I.T.A.
    And i dont like Lisa's opinion that this season is Boring
    Its very annoying for the CNN blogger to make that statement
    Crystal and Lee are the best Top Two in AI history imho

May 26, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jason from Hollywood

Wow – tonight is the night! No More American Idol – this show has asked way too much from its audience. The 1 hour results show, the results take 3 minutes and the last 3 minutes at that....What do they have to provide for an hour or 1/2 hour that necessitates a entire show? Results should be given in between the 9pm primetime show and the 10 pm news.
    Theme night should be outlawed. Who wants to see disco night, it's not relevant...Who wants to see rockabilly night or Sinatra night, or the songs of Barry Manilow? The producers of this show have sucked every ounce from that show – and now a 4th judge? A nobody karas about? And Ellen? Really? I see today she's started a record label and signed that 12 year old who can sing one song – a Lady GaGa song at that? What is going on over at this building they tape in and what are they telling these judges that are inflating their sense of their abilities?

Simon left a season too late....

May 26, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Youre totally right. I used to love the show but when they added Cara, got rid of Paula and said they were getting rid of Simon, it hasnt been the same show. We used to watch religiously but the last 2 seasons we had to force ourselves to watch. I for sure wont watch next season, if there even is one.

May 27, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  41. ElleryZ

I don't really care who wins. I would have say though thatChrystal Bowersox is the greater talent between the two. If Lee wins based on what I watched last night then you may as well remove the word "talent" from talent contest. The fact that people can multiple text is a bit of a joke in itself. Especially when Ryan Seacrest boasts at the beginning of the show the millions of texts recieved.

May 26, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  42. michele

why does crystal have a SONY LOGO on her website that is wrong and illegal if she has a record deal already then she should not be made a winner tonight...........no record deals should be made TIL AFTER the last show...

May 26, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • humina humina

Sony is on the Bowersox site since it has proprietary ownership of the AI brand. BMG may be the technical owner, but Sony purchased them several years ago.

May 26, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. notatweenorteen

They should invite Adam Lambert to replace Simon. That would bring the ratings up, I wish they'd listen to me...

May 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. BETTER ODDS THAN VEGAS

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST BUT THE COMMENT BOX IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO SMALL THAT IF YOU TYPE MORE THAN 5 LINES YOU CANT SEE WHAT THE HECK YOU JUST TYPED WITHOUT SCROLLING...THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED...A BIGGER COMMENT BOX IS DESPERATELY NEEDED....

May 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ivan

Hi,

You can make the comments box bigger just by dragging the lower right corner of the box. :)

May 26, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  45. poeticmyrt

Best of luck to both contestants. I hope the ratings doesn't go down with Simon leaving. Simon is the greatest and the star of the show besides Ryan. I like Simon – he tells it like it is.

May 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Timmy

Will they be doing a tribute to Lady Di? I hope so!

May 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  47. BETTER ODDS THAN VEGAS

ITS ALL OVER BUT THE CRYING....LEE IS YOUR NEXT AMERICAN IDOL...YES DIALIDOL.COM HAS LEE AS THE WINNER BY A LANDSLIDE...12 -7 WITH A ± 3...

ALMOST 2-1 IN VOTES LEE YOUR AMERICAN IDOL

FINALLY AMERICA GOT IT RIGHT!

READ IT AND WEEP RIGHT HERE -> http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/predictions.asp

ALL OVER BUT THE CRYING NOW LOL

TO SAY LEE WAS MORE NERVOUS THAN CRYSTAL IS BS TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE...IF YOU REMEMBER HER WALKING DOWN THE STAIRS, IT LOOKED TO EVERYONE IT WAS HER 1ST TIME SHE EVER DID IT...THEN YOU REMEMBER SHE'S TELLS RYAN "SHE IS BESIDES HERSELF, THEN QUICKY SAYS IM NEXT TO RYAN SEACREST AFTER SHE THINKS OF WHAT SHE JUST SAID.

SIMON WILL BE TERIIBLY MISSED...I HOPE THEY KEEP ELEN CUS I LOVE WHAT HER COMMENTS AND HER CRITIQUES ...THE MORE I SEEN KARA THE MORE SHE GOT ON MY NERVES AND AFTER HER COMMENTS I JUST YELLED AT MY TV TO SHUT UP AT HER SEVERAL TIMES LOL...RANDY IS RANDY AND HOPE HE WILL BE BACK FOR ANOTHER SEASON

May 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. notatweenorteen

Lee is the most open hearted sincere performers I've ever seen. The tone of his voice just melts my heart. Crystal is obviously crazy talented, but I have voted and am rooting for Lee.

May 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  49. BETTER ODDS THAN VEGAS

ALMOST 2-1 IN VOTES LEE YOUR AMERICAN IDOL

SIMON WILL BE TERIIBLY MISSED...I HOPE THEY KEEP ELEN CUS I LOVE WHAT HER COMMENTS...THE MORE I SEEN KARA THE MORE SHE GOT ON MY NERVES AND AFTER HER COMMENTS...I JUST YELLED AT MY TV SHUT UP AT HER SEVERAL TIMES LOL...RANDY IS RANDY AND HOPE HE WILL BE BACK FOR ANOTHER SEASON

ONE THING ABOUT PAUL IS YOU NEVER KNEW WHAT SHE WAS GONNA SAY AND HOW WHACKED IT WAS GOING TO BE LOL...THAT I SAY WAS MISSED SORELY THIS YEAR....

FINALLY AMERICA GOT IT RIGHT!

ALL OVER BUT THE CRYING NOW LOL

TO SAY LEE WAS MORE NERVOUS THAN CRYSTAL IS BS TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE...IF YOU REMEMBER HER WALKING DOWN THE STAIRS, IT LOOKED TO EVERYONE IT WAS HER 1ST TIME SHE EVER DID IT...THEN YOU REMEMBER SHE'S TELLS RYAN "SHE IS BESIDES HERSELF, THEN QUICKY SAYS IM NEXT TO RYAN SEACREST AFTER SHE THINKS OF WHA SHE JUST SAID...

May 26, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  50. lauratj

Both are great,however I know only one can win. best wishes & have fun. Will miss Simon–none other like him

May 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Anna

It is going to be hard to top last year's finale! Good luck to Crystal and Lee.

May 26, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |