May 26th, 2010

Bristol Palin: I'm not being hypocritical

Bristol Palin wears a lot of hats. Figuratively, that is.

The 19-year-old - who is a mother, a student, a medical assistant at a dermatologist’s office and an ambassador for the Candie’s Foundation - talked to Harper’s Bazaar about her life since the 2008 presidential campaign that catapulted her into the public eye.

“It didn’t hit me that I was going to be a parent until Tripp was like four months old. And I was like, ‘Oh yeah, this is reality. I haven’t slept in a week and I’m exhausted,' ” Palin said, which is why she doesn’t consider her role as an ambassador advocating abstinence hypocritical.

When asked her opinion on the Obama administration, Palin said, “I think he is making more Americans become dependent on government, and he’s acting like government can and should take care of everyone. That is completely contrary to what made America a great nation. We should be expected to take responsibility for ourselves.”

And as far as adding “first daughter” to her resume, “I don’t know if my mom will run (in 2012), but she should,” Palin said.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. SC

Though I like her point of "Well, if you smoke ....lung cancer....," it makes me wonder what makes her qualify to comment on how the government should be run. She barely finished her high school after all. Well, it's in the Palin blood. Speak on something they don't know.

July 14, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NotASoccerMom

Bristol, how can you speak about people not turning to the govt for specific help? What would you have done if you didn't have a wealthy family to fund your life when you got pregnant? Picture this: pregnant in high school with a family who does not have the money to pay for your delivery, feed you and your baby, and help you while you go to trade school to get training? What would you do? There are a lot of women and men in that boat and if they can get a little assistance now, they are more likely to be independent for the rest of their lives. My heart goes out to your baby – I wonder if he will be brought up with unconditional love and the absence of vitriolic anger aimed at his father and his family? Both your family and the father's lack the upbringing that comes with education, compassion and a sense of "taking the high road," so that makes me wonder....will this little baby have a better life?

June 2, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Pat

She's a combo of a little brainwashed Sarah Palin combined with Octomom. Glamorizing teen pregnancy. I'll make sure my girls don't see the Bazaar magazine idiotic article. Go home, stay home and take care of your 2 babies while you can. Unless you want to end up like your grifting mother – a laughing stock.

June 2, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. annonymodus

She sound opportunistic just like her mother. States she is just trying to help other teens from making the same mistake while being compensated to the tune of $30,000 per speaking engagement. Really! Sounds just like your Ma who resigned so she could cash in while she is hot.

May 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sick of Her

A kid that got knocked up young, and her mother is high profile...I DO NOT CARE what the bimbo thinks. Period!

May 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. David

She doesnt know if her Mom is going to run? Is this information on a 'need to know' basis because everyone else knows about it. The books, the speaking tours, the gig on Fox, the early departure from her previous job... shes either going to run for POTUS or Wasila dog catcher.

May 29, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. reality girl

If Bristol is such a believer in self-reliance, why is she trading on her celebrity status as the daughter of an unsuccessful candidate? When she does something really notable (like managing to keep her legs crossed until she graduates) she'll be worthy of an interview

May 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lauratj

She is doing the best she can. However,she has a family that could back her financially & that makes a big difference. Granted she is working,she also has a solid support system.

May 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kate

I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin or her daughter, but for those criticizing Bristol for not realizing she was a parent until four months into it, you've obviously never lived the life of someone in a crisis pregnancy situation and/or the life of someone who has suffered post-partum depression. Just because it doesn't "hit you" until 4 months in doesn't make you a bad parent. You can love and care for your child even if your brain won't quite let you make that deep connection until months after the child's been born. It happened to me, and it took me almost 6 months. Since then, and ever after, my daughter has been the beloved center of my universe. Don't judge till you've lived it.

May 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Koolkat

Pretty sure the problem for her was the fact that she has someone holding her hand the entire time IE: a nanny, or several nannies to help... Did you? Probably not.

May 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. KoolKat

I love how this turns from being about how bad of a mother this girl is, and her mother is into bashing each other. We are all here together and need to work towards a common goal of keeping this country free, and not let trashy politicians rule our every move. Considering everyone knows that Sarah Palin will NEVER become president it really isn't an issue we will only have to deal with them for so long before they like most public figures fade into the distance once the 'hype' of whatever they are spewing is over.

May 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cube

Wow! Im sure Jesus felt the same way Donna. Im sure he's real proud of you wanting to go on vacation instead of help out the elderly. WWJD? Go to the Bahamas of course!

May 26, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Donna

Faye, stop. Just stop. As a Christian, I will decide whom I want to pray for and whom I want to open my wallet to. I don't need Big Brother to decide for me. And if I choose to take a trip to Jamaica instead of pay for someone's grandmother's dentures, I will. That's my right. I was born in the USA, I am FREE.

I am PROUD to be American. I live in a free country and am going to fight for it to stay that way. Everyone has equal opportunity to work hard and make something of themselves here. If the ones that do well have "charity" forced upon them by the government...well, its not "charity" then, is it?

May 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Also Faye, since you seem to be one of those liberals who thinks we should all help everybody, I am surprised you are Christian....liberals are the first to bash Christians and the first to have their hands out for our money. They're going to start taxing your church next...heed my words.

May 26, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rachel

You all want this family to go away so badly, then stop talking about them. The more you say the more they will have them in the news. If you don't care about the Palin's then stop reading blogs or articals about them. You have the choose to ignore it, so now lets be grown ups and get over it!!

May 26, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Faye

I used to think that it wasn't up to the government to take care of folks. That "sounds" so simple, but it isn't at all. You see, Bristol, the government is "us." We have people we have elected to office to represent us. We need rules, boundaries, and limitations, and services for our people, because not all of us will do the right thing and none of us can do the job alone. We have family, friends, and neighbors who need our help and it is up to us, as Christians, to give that help. Plus, helping our fellow Americans strengthens and supports our economy and the productivity of our country. Taking "responsibility" sounds easy but events in peoples lives change everything for people. Some examples of that are health, disabilities, deaths, job loss, accidents, and aging. After you've lived some years you realize these things.

May 26, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bethi

reading the comments it appears that the only IDIOT respondent is ....PAUL!!!!!!!!!
    While it may be true that the rest of us didn't enjoy a partial term as a DO-NOTHING governor, or "run" for Vice President with ABSOLUTELY zero qualifications, WE can and DO see ineptness .

May 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. bethi

Wow!the apple sure doesn't fall far from the tree.Like mom, her language is trashy and vapid.What a silly girl, dutifully spewing forth the anti-Obama propaganda she's been fed.What a POOR excuse for a parent.(Hey-JUST LIKE MOM!!)
    And Paul-before you criticize someone's grammar, look at your own, and EVERYONE makes a type-o now and then.

May 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tripp don't read this article....ever.

“If you get lung cancer from smoking, why wouldn’t you want to tell people, ‘Hey, look, don’t smoke.’ Why wouldn’t you want to be productive and share your story and do something positive with it?” she said.......

She's comparing getting lung cancer to having a kid? Ahhh Tripp, I see therapy ahead...

May 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JJ

"We should be expected to take responsibility for ourselves."

So that explains why Palin went to Canada for health care herself.

Mentally retarded, lying hypocrites. All of them

May 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

So desperate to discredit Palin – why are you all so afraid? It took me 30 seconds to look this up on the internet. In the 60's, Palin's father took his kids to Canada twice because it was more accessible from where they lived and it was an emergency. Here's a quote from the paper that had the headline "Palin goes to Canada for Healthcare". This is such a distortion and so transparent if you care to open your eyes.

Chuck Heath, Mrs Palin's father, said they had had little choice but use the Canadian facilities given Skagway's location.

"There was no road out of there at that time. The ferry schedule was very erratic. We had no doctor in Skagway," he said.

"The plane schedule was very erratic. The winds dictated whether the planes could come in or not."

He said his family probably took the train to the Whitehorse hospital only twice – once when his son burned his leg and again when a daughter had rheumatic fever.

Mr Heath also stressed that they had "much preferred" to use US medical facilities as his insurance did not cover any treatment in Whitehorse.

May 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. RON S

I dont understand what everyone seesw in this family. They need to crawl back under the rock they crawled out of. For Bristol to go on national TV and say that her baby was a mistake says it all. The poor child will grow up believing that he is a mistake. It is too late for her to promote abstinance. She isnt even taking care of him the nannies are. I dont believe that Bristol could have a thought of her own. She is sooo controled by her mother.

May 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Head Diva In Charge

It is great that Bristol is taking responsibility – however, most teens that become pregnant don't have a rich polictal family behind them. Bristol needs to now get a grip on reality. Why doesn't she live for 6 month like a typical single Mom at the age of 19, I bet some of her opions would change.

May 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mel B

As much as I dislike her mother (and I mean really, really dislike her mother) she has a point. She made the mistake of getting pregnant and now she's trying to educate young girls about the ramifications of her actions. It is the same is an alcoholic getting up in front of those AA meetings and speaking to other struggling addicts about the consequnces of their actions. Learning by other's examples. I also, as much as I cringe to say it, I agree with her view of Obama's government right now. But as far as her mother running for Presiedent – HELL no. If that happens, I'll be vacationing in Canada for the length of that term!

May 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ssuan

My family and I have all decided if she becomes president we will go to Canada. We live in Alaska. My oldest daughter works for a Senator here.

May 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • annonymodus

Yeah, who would'nt go across the country speaking for $30,000 per speaking engagement.

May 29, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sid

F.R.E.E.K.I.N.G P.H.O.T.O.S.H.O.P.
    Magazine editors hate 'real people looks'.

But aside from that, I'm a little worried about how her kid is going to feel when he understands that after he was born mommy became an advocate for abstinence.

May 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. KoolKat

Her mother can run for president, and she will be running right into a wall. Anyone can see the good job she did instilling values into her children, can defiantly see she has the ability to run a country. NOT!!! She needs to get out of politics and teach her kids how to not get knocked up before she 'attempts' to take on other peoples problems.

May 26, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Paul

I love how these democrat kool aid drinkers like to spew about how "dumb" Sara Palin is. How many of you idoits were Governor of a State? How many of you idiots ran for Vice President of the United States? How many of you idiots wrote a best seller. If she's dumb then what the hell are you? I bet all you have enough trouble holding down a dumb office job.

May 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • meme

Paul... Sarah Palin didn't write a best seller, someone else penned the book that's on shelves and as far as being Governor, SHE QUIT!!

May 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  25. andrew

I love how we blame Bush, Im not a Bush supporter, Obama supporter or a Mccain supporter, but didn't the crap get started way before W? Id go back further if you wanted to be more accurate. Im just saying.

May 26, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ctbeckyw

Yet another Palin who's pitched a tent along the river Denial. Like Mommy Dumbest, I wish her 15 minutes of fame were up.

May 26, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Pete

People trashing Bristol Palin are so blinded by politics. If this were Chelsea Clinton would any of you be so harsh? You are all following along like little sheep – why not trying to have some original thoughts rather than spew the party line for a change?

May 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

Chelsea took her knocks but not for anything she could have prevented like getting knocked up. Chelsea was ridiculed in the press for being an awkward teen. Since then she has blossomed into an intelligent, beautiful woman who will make a positive, meaningful contribution to this world. Then again, Bristol makes a contribution too. She's a shining example of what NOT to be.

May 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

Methinks you perceive Chelsea to be and "intelligent, beautiful woman" because she was born Clinton and Bristol to be a "shining example of what NOT to be" because she is a Palin. The girl is 19 years old for goodness sake how would YOU do in her situation? That you are judging her speaks volumes about your biases. Open your mind and think for yourself. Don’t take everything you hear in sound bites for the truth!

May 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You brought about the comparison between Chelsie and Bristol so your argument about party lines is ignorant. I am curious as to how she was able to get a medical assistant position without the proper qualifications. Reminds me of a time when Levi Johnston was offered a Government Internship for which he was not eligible for. I'm very amused how Bristol is condeming President Obama for "making more Americans become dependent on government, and he’s acting like government can and should take care of everyone. " The lack of compassion for people that are hurting shows that this girl had a lot of growing up to do.

May 26, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just the facts

"Methinks you perceive Chelsea to be and "intelligent, beautiful woman" because she was born Clinton and Bristol to be a "shining example of what NOT to be" because she is a Palin." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

We've already established what Bristol has done to embarrass her family, can you please tell me one thing that Chelsea has done to embarrass hers? In the eight years her father was in office she kept a very low profile. Despite her father's shortcomings, Chelsea has been a true role model and has since become a successful business woman.She wasn't anything like the Bush twins who'd go out to clubs and drink underage. So if anyone should be on the lecture circuit and be paid the big bucks, it should be the one with life experience.

May 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jim

Best wishes Bristol!

May 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. idesign

Lyn Hamilton

bristol palin is a lying pos hypocrite just like her mother.

Hate much?

May 26, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Lyn Hamilton

bristol palin is a lying pos hypocrite just like her mother.

May 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |

Julie

Lyn: I bet you dont sleep much at night.....having hate in you like that. I would pay to watch both Bristol and Sarah punch you square in the face!

I live in AK and think she is trying to be a good mother and good role model for girls. How many "kids" get pregnant and dont find anything positive to do with their lives except take advantage of government programs like foodstamps, medicaid and hud housing. At least she is trying to make her own money without needing government assistance. Her mother is far from an idiot.....before people run their mouths, they should look at the good Sarah did while in office.

May 26, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. artrain

She need to work on her analogies. “If you get lung cancer from smoking, why wouldn’t you want to tell people, ‘Hey, look, don’t smoke."
    Is she comparing getting pregnant and giving birth to getting cancer?
    Besides, what is her mother going to do if she did get elected? Quit when times get rough?

May 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MattK

Four Months, huh? Took you that long to realize you were a mother? So the nine months you carried this new life in your womb was not enough?
    And stay out of politics. Your answer to the question about President Obama was straight from your mothers lips. The Bush Administration and the rest of the Republicans put us in the mess we are in now. President Obama is only trying to wade through the mud and slush and help rebuild America to where it was prior to him taking office...

May 26, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Student

I think your mom should run too...She is the anti-Obama we need! My family and I definitely support her.

Best wishes Bristol. You're doing an awesome job!

May 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • NC

Palin for President? you are a blooming idiot to think that simple mind women is qualify for this position. Mr Obama is 50 time smarter then this idiot ok. He is currently the President of the USA and will be for the next 2.5 yrs. deal with it.. Palin for President what a JOKE.

May 26, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

NC your grammar is a joke. Almost a little sad how you spew about how dumb Sara Palin is when you don’t have enough intelligence to communicate in English properly.

May 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

LOL ... yeah Palin for president then everyone will have assault rifles, there will be an oil rig in every backyard and every teen will have a baby because abstinence will become the only approved form of birth control! I really fear for this country at times.

July 6, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mjd

It took Bristol 4 months AFTER the birth of her son that she was a Mom?! That poor little boy! Stupidity seems to be generational in that family. Mom is dumber than Grandma and that takes a lot of doing!

May 26, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

May 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  35. CaymanGirl

Well Bristol I am glad that you are taking responsibility for your actions and speaking to young adults and abstinence is great! However, I think that President Obama is trying to correct what the Bush Administration created in their 8yrs of power. The man has only been there for a year and a half just and see what he can accomplish in the next 2+yrs. On the other hand your mom showed the american people just how prepared she was for a VP I don't think that worked out for her....President will not be on her resume! Trust me!

May 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  36. artrain

I really could care less of her opinion.

May 26, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vivian

Bristol is as big an idiot as her mother. Let's see she became pregnant while still a minor. Did not feel like a real mother to her baby till the baby was 4 months old. I am sure is having a nanny take care of her baby. Why would anyone is their right mind listen to her opinion. She is not living the life of a typical mother who has to take their kids to school or babysitter and work all day. Please, she is as big a hypocrite as her mother. I see it does run in the family

May 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

May 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy Zazzali

I pity you as a mother and as a person. You were thrown into the spotlight by the media. Above all, unfortunately you have to believe in all the rhetoric that your mother preaches. Until you have tasted desperation and humility on your own, without your mother shadowing you. You, Faye, will never find yourself. Thus, your own beliefs and your own heart will never develop nor grow. Make your life easier stop preaching about abstinence and channel that energy into playing with your child. Your child might resent what your preaching. I sure would, Life is good when you become a free soul embrace getting pregnant early and deal with it on your own.

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom in MA

@Julie – I'd guess with Mommy being a millionaire it's probably alot easier for Bristol to go to school full time, work part time, and be the ambassador of a foundation aimed at teaching kids how devastating teen pregnancy can be. Give me a break. Take mom's money away and then let's see how this all goes but please don't compare this spoiled little girl to someone who is truly dealing with ALL the realities and hardships that come from being a single teen parent ... especially when there are people all to ready to label her as a bad person who is just milking the system and raising a brat on 'your tax' dollar.

July 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |