May 26th, 2010

Art Linkletter dies at 97

Art Linkletter, the easygoing, smooth-voiced emcee famed for his long-running hosting gigs of the radio show “House Party” and the TV shows “People Are Funny” and “Kids Say the Darndest Things,” has died, CNN has confirmed. He was 97.

Linkletter rose to fame as a radio announcer in San Diego, later becoming a program director. In 1944, he launched “Art Linkletter’s House Party,” a daytime CBS radio show that moved to television in 1952 and ran until 1969.

His nighttime show, “People Are Funny,” started on radio in 1942 and ran on NBC television from 1954 to 1961. According to Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh’s “The Complete Directory to Primetime Network and Cable Shows, 1946-Present,” the show featured everyday guests who would be interviewed by Linkletter and then be asked to do a stunt. The result for those who failed at the stunt was often a pie in the face or a splash of water.

Linkletter also hosted a short-lived quiz show, “The Art Linkletter Show,” in 1963.

But he’s probably best remembered for “Kids Say the Darndest Things,” which began as a segment on “House Party.”

Linkletter would ask several children their thoughts on various topics; their responses were often hilariously absurd. A collection of the children’s sayings eventually became one of the best-selling books of the era.

At its height, Linkletter’s fame was notable enough to make him part of Milton Bradley’s “Game of Life,” which featured Linkletter’s endorsement and his photo on the game’s $100,000 bill. His 1960 biography was called “Confessions of a Happy Man.”

Filed under: Celebrities

1. marylonn

Many years ago when I was a young bride, my husband and I lived in a small cottage on a lake (it was the dead of winter), and very lonely as my husband traveled and I was alone a lot. We had a small radio, and I used to listen to Art Linklettter and enjoyed his shows. To this day, when I hear his voice I am taken back to that time. He surely was a great entertainer, and if only some of today's performers could take a lesson from his brand of humor. I'm sure his family is proud of him and the life he lived.

May 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jan

Mr. Linkletter was a very kind and gentle soul. I had the honor and privilege of meeting him when I was a little girl in the early 70's. He came to my elementary school in the Atlanta, GA area to talk to us all about drugs and how and WHY we should stay off of them. Well, I took it to heart and DID stay off of them. I remember how TALL he was, but yet he got down on our level and made us feel like we were his children or grandchildren. There was such a calming factor about him – a peace, of sorts. I enjoyed watching him over the years on television and was always entertained by just the expressions on his face at some of the things the children that he interviewed would blurt out – always got a giggle and a smile out of that... He lived a nice, long life and will be truly missed. There need to be more like him in the enertainment world – we need more good role models for children. Sadly, we are really lacking in that area in this day and age.

May 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robin

...as I was saying before this thing keeps posting before I'm ready...I find it offensive for ANYONE

May 27, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Robin

Rest well, Mr. Linkletter! You certainly were a classy man!

I am a Christian woman. As such, I find it offensive when ANYONE

May 27, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Robin

Rest well, Mr. Linkletter! Yes, you were a classy man!

You know, I'm a Christian. I find it offensive when ANYONE

May 27, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. amo deremmie

R.I.P,......

May 27, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. jw dawson

Wow....now Jay Leno could of had Art on his show, that would have been something to see.......insted of the junk nowdays......

May 27, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin H

There will be hundreds of posts; most of which will say pretty much the same thing. I am hoping to touch a little deeper. I will always remember his gentle nature, kindheartedness & unassuming manner. His persona typified the life that most all of us of my generation knew... and took as our own values: integrity, character and compassion... most all of which are missing in an ever-increasing number today's children and our childish-acting adults. Today is a sad day for a generation. My sincere condolences to his family.

May 26, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Goth Guru

You know the more people try to push their athieism on everyone, the more God seems to pick on me to prove he exists.
    Art Linkletter and Mister Rogers were nice people and talented entertainers regardless of their beliefs.

May 26, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Russ

Osama bin Laden is a "religious man" too. One should never assume religiosity automatically implies virtue.

May 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sadheart

I ve been reading alot of all the old timers leaving us , it makes me sad knowing that I am getting older also . Oh ! another one gone . I remember You as a kid, rest in peace.

May 26, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ric

I was a Linkletter kid in 1967, appearing on House Party. Bigger than life, Art never talked down to us, he listened, and we opened up to him.

RIP, Art. See you on the other side.

May 26, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

I really enjoyed Art Linkletter throughout my life. He was kind of a breath of happiness.

May 26, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ivann

I loved Mr. Linkletter too! As a child growing up in the 60's, I watched him everyday. I agree with all of the comments that he was indeed a class act...

May 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lauratj

Art Linletter was one of a kind & brought laaughter to many. I am 47 & remember him on TV. Peace & Blessings to him & all his family

May 26, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. lauratj

Art Linkletter was one of a kind & brought much laughter to many. I am 47 & remember him on TV. Peace & Blessings to him & all his family

May 26, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Max

No one mentioned it but I remember his TV show "queen for a Day" way back in the 50's. He had such a possitive infliuence throught radio and TV. A true icon that wil be miss ed. R.I.P. Mr. Linkletter

May 26, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gary

Art lived and entertained us in a time where family shows were dominant on television and radio. It's sad anytime we hear someone has died who once inspired us as we grew up, knowing that these personalities will soon disappear from the era that some of us we grew up in.

May 26, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. BUTCH1

Mr. Linkletter & Conan O'Brian could pass for father & son.

May 26, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Barb

Dear Claes,

You may not believe there's a Hell, but you won't be there five seconds before you do. There is good news, however! Get a Bible and read John 3:16, and Hell can be skipped altogether! Blessings on you!

May 26, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. morty62

It's very callous of pop-culture illiterates to say "who cares" when an entertainer dies, especially one as universally beloved by those who grew up with him as Art Linkletter. I understand that it's not a world-altering event. Then again, don't you think that with so many media outlets there's room to acknowledge a life well-lived, especially when that life brought happiness and laughter, however fleeting, to so many people? Give Art Linkletter his public epitaph, all you crabs, curmudgeons and cranks.

May 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Tim

RIP, Art. A true American icon.

May 26, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. KEV G

Watched Kids say the darndest things as a teen and it was a laugh riot. Loved it. Bill Cosby tried to do the same show and as talented as Cosby is he couldn't touch Linkletter. RIP

May 26, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MoGalllo

Isn't it great that 99% of the people who wrote remember him as I do; a class act. That says it all.
    RIP Mr. Linkletter

May 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dick Johnson

Actually Art was a devout Mooslim so quit with all the Jesus chatter.

May 26, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mrs. Tiger Woods

I wish I had married him!

May 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Pam

Art Linkletter appeared many times on the Larry King Show. My husband would kid me about watching him on the LK show – Art's political views could not have been further than my own views on politics. Putting politics aside I agreed with much of what he had to say.

May 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lancer

This is America. People can speak about Christ if they want. If you don't like it read the next post. It sounds like Art was a Christian, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind people talking about Jesus on here. You should consider where you stand before God if you were to die today.

May 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  29. BOBBY Mizelle

A TRUE GENTLEMAN, WHO SHOWED CLASS IN ALL HIS SHOWS AND THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE. I AM THANKFUL THAT I CO\ULD WATCH HIM FOR MANY YEARS. REST IN PEACE.

May 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jim

HEY DUDEGUY;WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP YOU ARE WHY DONT YOU LAY DOWN AND DIE,NO ONE WOULD MISSYOU

May 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  31. trailmixx

R.I.P. – ART – WE LOVE YOU – THANKS FOR ALL YOU DEVOTION TO YOUR WORK – AND ALL THE GREAT TIMES YOU GAVE US..........................................................!

May 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. CindyE

RIP, Mr. Linkletter, and my sincere condolences to your family. There is no one who can fill your shoes.
    It feels like a part of my childhood died.

May 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. kathy

How I wish I could go back to those days! When I was a child, my dad & mom watched Art all the time. His shows were sooo good and we'd laugh & laugh. The world/this country were entirely different then.
    I suppose you could call those times "happy". What a difference now – what television has sunk to.
    RIP, Art. You were so good. I hope you see my beloved daddy in Heaven.

May 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Babs

Wow, what a sad day.

May 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Brenda

My post was deleted – you nazi cnn worker

May 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  36. talis4

After reading some of these comments, I decided to touch base with The Lord. He actually took time out from filing a law suit against christian conservatives to talk to me. The Lord told me that He believes that He was introduced to Art at Studio 54 about 25 years ago. He says that Art was coked out of his gourd and kept trying to get Him to do some magic tricks. The Lord thought he died several years ago.

May 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Goth Guru

Art Linkletter sounds like a nice guy. I too would like to see some episodes of his show.

May 26, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Smoke A Choke

This what I'm getting at the store:chicken wing,fried chicken,fries,candy,cheeseburger,taco bell,jack in the box,McDonalds,french toast,Mike and Ikes,And a smoke that is all lol

May 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jake

Art Linkletter was born Gordon Arthur Kelly in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Mr. Linkletter was a legend, pure and simple. He was the embodiment of the American Dream. He started out an orphan and became a millionaire many times over and a great philanthropist as well. If there is one word that embodies Mr. Linkletter's take on life it would be 'enthusiasm'. Enthusiasm will always get you far in life.

May 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Alan, Mesa AZ

A class act is indeed correct. This man really helped the children. I wish they would have repeats of his show as a tribute to him. I'd like to see it. I watched his shows in the 60s and 70s and he was an awesome man. He will be so missed. Just a nice guy all around. RIP Art, you really were very special!

May 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Brenda

Hey IronMan...it's too bad you wish to be a cartoon character...

May 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  41. D

DudeGuy,
    Remember that comment when you parents die.

May 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Kathy in Mo.

So sorry he is gone but also so happy he cant see the awful things being said about Our Jesus. The spirit inside tells me he was a christian and thats why the enemy is attacking now. So much evil out there but thats a sign of the times. Rest in peace Art I will see you down the road.

May 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Entertainer

did you ever think that he was such a great entertainer that no matter how many times he dressed up like a bunny he alwayd did things respectable!!!

May 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bubbles

The world really lost a classy person today. He brought so much laughter to the US as it was healing from WWII and introduced a new generation to the invention of TV. May he rest in peace.

May 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mike

A man responsible for one of my fond and happy memories when I was a little boy has left us. Watching or listening to him always left me feeling good and set a standard for entertainment and enlightenment that few achieve nowadays on TV. He was simply wonderful. I hope for his continued happiness in another place, he brought so much of it to others, especially when they needed it the most.

Mike

May 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  46. philopop

I wonder if he knew George Burns

May 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. orange sunshyne

He funnny man!
    RIP Art

May 26, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. talis4

Jeez, I thought he died twenty years ago. I was stunned to find out he was still alive.

May 26, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  49. roger d.

for all of you who are wondering about class acts, and where are they now? i'm here to inform you that there is one left, and his name is vin scully. after 61 years, he still broadcasts every dodger home game. he has 1001 intriguing stories, and still has the charm, wit & humor he's always had....linkletter was a class act act, and will be missed. i was a kid in the 60's and used to watch his show, and here i am saying the darnedest thing!!! it was, and still is a great time to be alive thanks to people art linkletter & vin scully!

May 26, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Glascommon

He was a great icon of my youth. Rest in Peace

May 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  51. The Truth

Beside that forgotten (it was the times) molestation fiasco this was a lovely man.

May 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Poiple

"This thread is a perfect example of why I don't read or participate in these things" – moderateray

You just did! Hey-O!

May 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Richard Dial

"For a son a father has plans, but for his daughter he has dreams." Art, said this in his response to his daughters tragic death. I never forgot it, and I raised my two children with this as a guiding thought.

May 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Christine

Looking at the comments here I have just one thing to say. All of you bickering about whether or not Mr. Linkletter was a religious man is pathetic.

May 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Teresa

Farewell gentle man – you were a precious jewel to me as a child growing up in an abusive household. I could turn on the t.v. and the medicine of laughter would fill my soul.

May 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  56. John S. Levinson

We will miss Art Linkletter as a great entertainer but mor than that, as a true gentleman. Art Linkletter indidrectly really helped me get over the public speaking jutters when he publicly admited that during the very first seconds of his entering to speak before an audiance, he always had 'butterflys". If it happens to a pro like Art Linkletter, then I should be OK...and I was!

Rest well Mr. Linkletter...you have earned the heaven in all of our hearts.

May 26, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Steve the Canuck

He was like a Jimmy Stewart character, a symbol of a time when America did not have a shred of self doubt and morality was right or wrong with no in between. Just look at the gross comments by people who want to hijack a simple list of people reminiscing a life well lived to argue about religion. I am sure Jesus, Mohammed, Buddah and the flying spaghetti monster are all happy to have his company (ok maybe not George Carlin)...imagine a nice man who liked talking to kids who was not a pedophile. :(

May 26, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Brian

I am not going to judge those that don't believe in God but your day will of judgement will come. All I can say is you better change your life around. Praise God.

RIP! Art Linkletter. :-(

May 26, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Dan

I remember many years ago Art saying on some program that he hoped he lived until 2010 so his family wouldn't have to pay any inheritance tax. He got his wish!

May 26, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Adam

He was a truly great man. Kind hearted. My condolences to his family and friends.

May 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  61. ort

JP, you're right. Please forgive me for being an "unkind, self-important dope". I'm sorry that I'm attempting to "pass judgement on others". But do you mind telling me how I've done that? I'm simply stating facts. How that makes me unkind or a dope or worse yet, judgemental seems quite silly to me.

May 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Geri Webb

Another true gentleman of the entertainment world has passed on. Being 65 next month myself, I can remember his days on television. He was always the "true gentleman" who treated his guests with respect. I trust he lived a good life in his 97 years. Sorry to hear of his passing. Sympathy to his family.

May 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Mac

I'm sad. Art was active into his 90's. I thought he might go on living into his 100's. He was a very good man. As was posted earlier, one of the toughest things about being alive is having to say goodbye. It seems, as I am now in my 60's, that I have to say that a lot. Goodbye Art. As long as I am living, I will remember you.

May 26, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Sam

Thank you to those people who chimed in to make this their own personal crusade. This article was not about you, so you do have to always try to make all about you?

RIP Mr. Linkletter...you were one of the best!

May 26, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  65. ironman

and the nut jobs come out from under there rocks

May 26, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Smoke A Choke

How many smoke smoke lol

May 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Brenda

What is it to be YOUR business that JOE is even is WONDERING. Are you trying to CONTROL his thoughts and feelings by telling him to SHUTUP. IT IS A FREE COUNTRY STILL (until OBAMA SHUTS IT DOWN)

May 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Bluejeans8

Buy Art – Thanks for everything.

May 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jeff

It's about dam time. This guy long over stayed his welcome. The kids say the darnest things was corny even back then. Plus he tried to pass off his daughter's suicide as an accidental drug overdose. This dude was basically creepy all around

May 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • FRANCES JOHNSON

TO JEFF: I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY OF MEETING ART AT ONE OF THE OLYMPICS – HE AND HIS WIFE AND MY HUSBAND AND I STAYED AS GUESTS IN ONE OF THE DISNEY CABINS. I REALLY WANTED TO OPEN A CONVERSATION WITH HIM ABOUT OUR 4 CHILDREN BUT HE WASN'T INTERESTED AND WALKED AWAY – THE TOTAL OPPOSITE OF THE PERSONNA HE PORTRAYED. MAYBE GETTING APPROACHED BY THE PUBLIC SO MUCH CAN BE A PAIN. I ENJOYED HIS SHSOW FOR MANY YEARS – WISH HE WAS STILL ON.

May 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. PRJ

HOW SAD, Another great person gone. God how I remember watching House Party on TV in the 60's. He was a kind gentle and gifted man. We will not see anyone like him for a long time.

May 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  71. just me

I am not old enough to remember this guy too well. but it sounds like he was a really neat dude!! and may he rest in peace!!

May 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. SALLY REIS

HE WAS A GREAT MAN WITH A BIG HEART, WE NEED MORE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD LIKE HIM, IT WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE, AMEN

May 26, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Sarah

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Linkletter when I was 11 years old back in the 60's. My father was going to Washington D.C. and sat next to him at the airport. He was a very gracious man, and was wonderfully kind to me. I will never forget that incident. He was a classy, wonderful person.

May 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  74. towelntexas

Art Linkletter was an American icon. His gentle manner and quick wit endeared him to everyone. His wonderful way with children was so unique.

I had the pleasure of meeting him once and I remember feeling as if he was as interested in meeting me (I'm an average Joe) as I was him. A delightful man.

May 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • moderateray

I never met A L, who I admired and enjoyed, but I had the same experience with Perry Como. He made you feel like HE was so happy to meet YOU.

May 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  75. BKR

Comments here are interesting. I have read many accounts of AL and most people who worked with him over the years agreed he was one of the angriest, meanest people you'd ever want to meet. John Candy, truly one of the nicest guys in show-biz, worked with him on an ad-shoot in the days before Second City and was moved to quip..."a couple more hours and we'll all be looking for the windows" a reference to AL's daughter's suicide a couple of year's before. It is sad that died, great that he made it 97 years...but, realistically, not a beacon of happiness and light despite his on-air persona.

May 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • LinkFam

Dont believe everything you read. If you ever had the opportunity to meet him, you would know otherwise. He was as kind and caring as he was on television. Anyone would be lucky to be half the man he was.

-A Linkletter family member

May 26, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  76. JP

ort & Joe:
    You are prime examples of unkind, self-important dopes who continuously attempt to pass judgement on others by proclaiming who is and who is not a good christian. Mind your own business because you are certainly not representing the christian community.

May 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Harry Lime

Is this thing on? echo echo echo echo echo...

May 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Darlene in Mississippi

Makes me sad !! He was a wonderful entertainer....loved “Kids Say the Darndest Things,”

May 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jesus Jones

What is the deal with all the "I wonder if he knew his Lord and Savior" Mind your own business you friggin screwballs. Were you hoping to catch his act in Heaven? What a pack of nuts....

May 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Sounds like we should worry more about you than Art. Tell you what – let's see what you say the day you turn 97, you're on your death bed in a hospital (hospitals were started by Christians in this country), can't even remember how to spell "screwballs" (there are Christians who visit hospitals to help the sick) and are crying for you mommy becuase you finally realize all these years you didn't have any idea what you were talking about. You'll still have Christians standing by your bed, praying for you, and caring about you – even if you still hate them. Sorry if you take offese at that. The world would be worse off if Christain people stopped caring, giving their money, time, love, and support even to people like you who can't stand them.

I think Mr. Linkletter would appreciate the prayers that are being given up for him, and I'm pretty sure his family appreciates it too.

May 26, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Sam

Secret to a long life, in his own words – 'don't drink, don't smoke' – his own testimony to longevity. It doesn't say how he died...I guess, just old age, don't think he ever had any chronic or major health issues, unlike other hollywood's.

May 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • LinkFam

He was almost 98, at that age, your body just slowly goes. He recently lost his eldest son and was getting tired. No known illnesses, just old age...

-A Linkletter family member

May 26, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  81. ort

And for any of you suggest he was private about his faith, well, you're just wrong. He appeared on Focus on the Family with James Dobson (gasp!) and was very outspoken about his faith and that's in public.

May 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Lord

No I did not know him and since he's dead I forgot to savior him too!

May 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Harry Lime

Harry Lime

One of the most decent men in the industry. He set the early standards for G-rated humor, game shows, interviews. It's very disappointing to read blog comments from idiots who simply have to write to hear their own echos.

May 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Rita

We remember him during our embroideringdclasses. Listening to the radio at 3:00pm everyday was a treat. We will all miss him. He sure was a joy and had a real talent with children in asking the questions on House Party.

May 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  85. BobH

I remember him on TV when I was much younger. Compared to today – we have come a long way – for better and for worst. Change – yes we can! Each generation has their opportunity on the planet to make a difference in the present and for future generations. Chocolate or vanilla – choose!

May 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Harry Lime

May 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Ghostality

Art was a very industrious entertainer with qualities to inspire anyone wishing to succeed. I wish him and those close to him much comfort and solace.

May 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  88. anthony

I appeared on Art Linkletter's House Party in 1964. He was exceptionally warm towards the children who appeared on the show. We were the first school from South Central Los Angeles to appear on this show.
    May he Rest in Peace

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alli

I was on House Party too in 1964. He spent time with us before the show, reading a story and talking with us to make us comfortable but he also asked as afterwards if we had fun, asked questions of our parents and seemed to really enjoy doing the show. I asked my parents when we left when we were coming back to visit again. What a dear man and a positive gift to us for so many years.

May 28, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  89. ort

For all of you God-haters out there, yes, indeed Mr. Linkletter was a strong Christian. He wasn't shy about professing his faith and for this, I'm grateful. As Christians, we are concerned when anyone dies that they are saved and heading in the right direction – it's our calling. It might be hard for you to understand but that's what we do.

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teresa

beautifully put and sorry for those who do not know Jesus as their Savior. Every knee will bow one day. My prayer for each person not ready to meet him that they do it voluntary – either way we all we bow down to him. Just the truth folks, like it or not.

May 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Peter

Joe is a loser.

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Kevin H

Art Linkletter was a class act – as someone said (beat me to the punch). Mr. Linkletter appeared to have a sense about his fellow man. He never had an evil word to say about anyone on television in the forty or so years I saw him. "Kids Say the Darndest Things" was a well written show. It's not easy to ask questions of children that will illicit responses. I think he made the kids feel comfortable. Mr. Linkletter had a unique sense about families and children. He was not an overtly religious man in public – if he was religious he kept that private. Mr. Linkletter never spoke in a negative way in public – which I admire. I never was aware that he swore on television – but then that was the norm. Children of different races appeared on his program so he was a quiet champion for human rights – I think anyway. Art Linkletter will be sorely missed. In an age when "blue" is the norm, Art Linkletter created entertaining television that made us laugh. If Mr. Linkletter said something off-color he was so subtle that I probably didn't know as a child. It's unfortunate that children are so "plugged-in" that their innocence is gone. I don't think an Art Linkletter could interview children today because I think some of their responses would make adult's straight hair extra curly. We'lve lost a true gentleman – and a gentle man – he was a pioneer. RIP Mr. Linkletter.

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Steven P

Thank you sir! Great memories...

May 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Glynes

A familiar face, enjoyed watching with my parents when I was a kid. As mentioned before, a real class act, always gracious and charming.

May 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Thea

We should all hope for each others salvation....But at the end of the day whether Mr. Linkletter accepted his own is between him and GOD.

May 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Sophiah

he was a gay man

May 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Weezie

I'm so glad to see so many people say duch nice thing about Mr. Linkletter. I loved watching "Kid Say the Darndest Things". It was so funny! I too hope that his last days were comfortable for him.

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Rosalie

One of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan's greatest exports to the USA. He made us laugh in the 1950's and 1960's. RIP, Art Linkletter.

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Ed

At the Disneyland Celebration, which was in 2005, he was 92 or 93. He said a great line when he was asked what he thought about being at the 50th anniversary celebration of Disneyland he said, "Oh, i'm just happy to be here." I think he meant it then and he had another 5 years in him.

97 ripe old age. Shows what clean living can do for you. I'm sorry about his daughter, and his crusade against drugs, created caution even in the minds of those who continued to use them. So he served a greater purpose than himself, and he was directed by his own personal troubles.

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Cyndie

RIP, you will always be in our hearts!

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Skybird

Yes – a class act! No love affairs splashed all over the media. No messy divorces to grab attention. No nasty Ponzi schemes to defraud his friends. Just a good, clean, honest man bringing joy and laughter to his audiences! A life well-lived and he will be missed.

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Christian Woman

Joe, it is obnoxious people like you that turn others OFF to Christianity. I am sure you will go right to **** for you unchristian thoughts

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Fawn

Where are the class acts such as Jack Benny, Groucho Marx, Bob Barker, Art Linkletter, Johnny Carson, etc? Real personality and class acts who were really a presence in what they did. Most of all I miss my dad Bernhart Lerner who was a class act himself.

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wayne

Fawn,

You make an excellent point. Today we have junk "reality" shows that are the farthest thing from reality.
      I loved watching Art Linkletter.

May 26, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Mark L.

Art Linkletter, was a legendary emcee. I can still remember his TV show, "“Kids Say the Darndest Things." I highly admired and respected Mr. Linkletter and would like to extend my utmost heartfelt, sincerest condolences to the Linkletter family. May Art Linkletter rest in everlasting eternal, heavenly peace.

May 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Mike

Why would anyone wonder if he had a relationship with the Lord? Oh, I don't know – maybe it's because the best is wished for them. Maybe it's because if Art did have a relationship with the Lord, he'll live forever. It's an understandable thought at the time the person dies. The question is – why would you be so disturbed that the question is asked? Even if you don't believe in God and His saving power, what's it to you that the question is asked? Challenging the question almost makes it sound like you take the comment personally, which is what you pretend to take offense at in the first place.

May 26, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Joyce

We have lost another piece of the past.

May 26, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  106. littlevetoe

I wouldn't know if he knew the Lord as his Savior, but if the Lord read any of those books, he'd laughed his holy azz off...

May 26, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  107. james

He was a natural talent and the perfect daytime host. He had a tough time through part of his life when his daughter ended her life ! I think she had addiction problems. 97...what must it be like to live so long, is it a curse or blessing ? thoughts.

May 26, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Adnil

Joe, you are an idiot.

May 26, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Fawn

I liked gameshows in general better than reality shows. All the great hosts like Gene Rayburn, Bob Barker, etc. It was great in the past. Some of the show hosts are notable today, but most aren't anything like the classics such as Groucho Marx. And you can bet your life on that one!

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jules

He was a fixture in my house growing up. Too bad there's not too many "Art Linkletter's" left in the world. It sounds like he had a long and mostly happy life. He will be missed.

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  111. dennis gleason

I produced a Veterans Day concert with Art about 15 years ago in San Francisco and was thrilled to work with him...very gracious, witty, inttelliegent and everyone involved respected him. He will be missed.

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  112. ForceD

“I wonder if he knew the Lord as his Savior.”

He was the (adopted) son of an Evangelical preacher. He probably did.

Dan

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • talis4

According to The Lord, Art did not know Him as his savior, but knew Morty Goldman as his tailor.

May 26, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim Barons

Dan, I did an interview years ago with him and while he had done work with several Christian organizations and his father was a street preacher, the impression I got was that he did not feel it necessary to be a born again Christian. I hope he made last minute negotiations with the Lord. John 3:3 (that's talking about being born from above not baptism)

May 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Burbank

So sad he's gone, the world will be a lesser place without him and his gentle sense of humor. A live well lived!

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  114. moke

God Who ?

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Goth Guru

I did a search on God. God is all over the internet.

1 – 10 of about 1,530,000,000 for God – 0.17 sec.

May 26, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Ron D-

One of the toughest parts of being alive is learning to say "goodbye" again and again and again.

Goodbye Mr. Linkletter and thank you.

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Purple

He outlived three out of five of his kids. His daughter committed suicide when she was twenty. Art Linkletter blamed it on LSD. There were no traces of LSD in her body.

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • nepawoods

Yeah, this guy singlehandedly probably did more to perpetuate anti-drug hysteria than anyone else ever did. People believed him, and believed his story about a nice girl from a wholesome family leaping from a window to her death because of a drug.

May 26, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Don

Did he do anything recently, or did he pretty much go into "what part of 'I'm retired' did you not understand" retirement? The last thing I remember seeing him in was one of CBS's 50th Anniversary specials 35 years ago.

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

The TV show "Kids Say the Darndest Things" was revived for a few seasons with Bill Cosby as host. Art Linkletter often appeared on the show as well.

May 26, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Art was a fairly frequent guest on Larry King's show on CNN over the years, even into his 90's. Sharp as a tack, very pleasant and funny and always upbeat and positive. I always picture him with a big grin on his face.

May 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Alan

My favorite program when I was a small child was "Kids Say the Darndest Things", and I always thought Art was a great guy. I'm glad to hear he lived a very long life, I hope he was comfortable and happy all that time.

May 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Terrie

Kids say the darndest things! I did get to see him in person...he was TALL! What a wonderful guy!

May 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Kate in San Diego

I used to watch his show with my grandma. RIP MR. Linkletter.

May 26, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  121. James

:( RIP!

May 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  122. thecolonel

Sorry he died and I hope he did not waste his time on that rubbish called religion.

May 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

why would you say something like that a person's belief is their own private matter. I am 56 years old and remember that his show was one of the only things on TV when I was little. I also remember when his daughter died and he became an anti-drug crusader I dismissed him as square because I did drugs. It's not until you get older and have the gift of hindsight that you can see where he was coming from.
      I think it's just a little sad for Boomers to hear about somebody's death who was connected to their childhood.

May 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeM

While I have no use for religion myself, I find it extremely rude to use this forum to expouse your views. Can It!

May 26, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mike

Don't be a goofball. Forums like this are made to "express views". If you want it canned – there's a back button at the top of your browser. Use it.

May 26, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff jackson, alabama

cynical has your picture next to it in Webster's.
      Linkletter was not a miserable man. He was
      religious.

May 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Lynne

I well remember the old House Party shows. I wished I could be on one so I could miss school.

May 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Siera (misssiera311 on twitter)

I'm am so sad. I never met him but had love for him. He was like everyones tv uncle or grandpa. I will miss him! R.I.P. Art <3

May 26, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  125. century33

I'll always remember watching his show with my mom when I was a boy in the 1960's. He was, what is sorely lacking on television today.............. a class act.

May 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Fan

He was a "class act" and one that hasn't been replicated in today's "news" or entertainment business. He was always polite and LISTENED to the kids, even when they said the darndest things. Another fine person gone. Who will step up to fill his shoes?

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Joe Helfrich

Doubt it. He seemed smarter than that.

May 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Buns

Wow!! What a long life!! I loved Art Linkletter and so remember "House Party" when I was young!! He seemed like a really incredible man!!

May 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • DudeGuy

Does anybody really care? Seriously, some old dude who did something unimportant a long time ago dies... that's some real "breaking news' CNN....

May 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Wow, I thought he died years ago! Anyway, he was a class act and respected by all who saw or heard any of his shows. Current entertainers should study/mimic this great showman.

May 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • MuDdLe

Dude Guy has no soul.

May 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mason

Yes an amazing and sad life, Lost daughter to LSD suicide (jumped from roof) But a Long Life in TV,
      Younger people don't know how lucky they have it these days, imagine life today with B/W Tv,
      No Cell phones, No Video games, We all die, take care of elderly or parents, Time marches on, RIP

May 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Joe

I wonder if he knew the Lord as his Savior.

May 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • brenda

why would you wonder that? what's it to you?

May 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ironman

hell i thought this guy died a long time ago were has he been hiding at all this time

May 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buns66

Joe, for some reason (maybe hearing him on the radio or something) that He did know the Lord. At least, I hope I'm right about that!! (and yes, it does matter!)

May 26, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

Like Brenda said...What's it matter to you??? As in, Who are you that is would matter??? I don't think your God or Satan so worry about your own relationship with God!!!

May 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

why would you make a statement or question about that??? Live and Let Live

May 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

...that's none of your business, Joe (not me)

May 26, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

Have you sought help for your problem? Perhaps a 12 step program?

May 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

I doubt this beautiful gentle man needed any saving, but the rest of us could sure use some saving from judgemental bible thumpers that think they know it all! Geesh!!!

May 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

That is between Art and whatever deity he chose to believe in. It is none of our business.

May 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • meteorcrater

Yes. We were close friends. But he did say you were a jerk.

May 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven

Keep it to yourself....... it's none of your business......

May 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • RobAZ

Which Lord and Savior are you refering to? Jesus? Mithra? Or some other savior god? http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen048.html

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

I agree....it is nobody's business if he believed "the lord is his savior". It is completely irrelevant and people who go on these message boards to promote religion are ridiculous.

May 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

Please keep your religious beliefs to yourself. Art Linkletter was a good man. May he rest in peace.

May 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Lord

Yeah, he knew me, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth fairy and all other childhood myths.

May 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • eoJ

Joe is just an idiot baiting you. He doesn't believe in God.

May 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claes

Well, the problem is that it's not just an honest question, it's a statement made in the purpose of smearing your own holiness into the face of people. It's said for your own benefit of feeling righteous about it, nothing else – and I think God if there is any would be a enough of a psychologist to figure that out. "Wonder if he knew the Lord as his Savior" – yes wonder? Well I don't wonder and no I'm not worried about ending up in hell.

May 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • ironman

this is why people like you should never be on the internet your to much of a nut job and you to stay under your rock

May 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

God bless him and those who mourn his passing ... there is 100% mortality on the face of this earth ... death is the great equalizer.

May 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

I also wonder Joe if God will save you for being so "judgmental". You don't even know or knew the man. You have a lot of nerve questioning such a thing.

May 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • moderateray

This thread is a perfect example of why I don't read or participate in these things :)

May 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryker

Given that he was on Pepperdine's Board, I would imagine the answer to your question is "yes."

May 26, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derek

Hey Joe, Art did know the Lord! Focus on the family had a show about his life and faith. Moreover Christianbook has the CDs and a book that he wrote called "How to make the best of the rest of your life."

May 26, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • chessyjames

He knew the Lord quite well, actually. The Lord appeared regurlarly as a special guest on his show back in the 50's.

May 26, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |