May 26th, 2010

'Amityville Horror' house on the market

The tell-tale jack-o-lantern windows are gone and even the house number has changed. And now for the first time in 13 years (13 - spooky!) the "Amityville Horror" house is up for sale.

The five-bedroom Dutch Colonial Long Island home with water views and a boathouse is currently priced at $1.5 million. That's a long way from the paltry $55,000 it sold for following reportedly horrific events that took place there back in 1974 after Ronald DeFeo fatally shot six family members in their sleep.

The Lutz family moved into the home one month after the DeFeo tragedy, and their (fictionalized and sensationalized) story is the focus of the classic 1979 film "The Amityville Horror." The Lutzes claimed the home was haunted and that they were plagued by demonic images, walls that oozed slime, a crucifix that spun upside down in front of their eyes, a swarm of flies, objects levitating, a tiny room discovered that was not part of the house's blueprints and other such oddities.

Many people claimed it was merely a money-making scheme on the part of the Lutzes. Nevertheless, the family only lived in the home for a total of 28 days.

Subsequent owners reported no paranormal activity in the home that was located in an otherwise tranquil, upscale community.

According to the Long Island paper Newsday, the couple that owned the home from 1977 to 1987 had the street address changed from 112 Ocean Avenue to 108 Ocean Avenue in order to throw off gawkers.

Ronald DeFeo, meanwhile, is still serving out a sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

Post by:
Filed under: movies

1. jack

get the film DVD and play the Hans Holzer commentary as the film rolls and understand what really occurred - it was the site of an Indian burial ground and the Indian wanted no one living there. So unless this spirit was removed somehow the house remains a disturbed site.

October 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tammy Morrison Broome

Look, I am A christian who believes in Jesus Christ. A house is made of bricks and wood.etc.. It's the people who live in ahome that makes it a home. few people know that the Lutz Family were practicing TRANSCENDENTAL MEDETATION in that home. Lutz family bought demonic books and they chanted these evil things only to make it worse. If you open a door to EVIL it will follow you if you lived on an Island. By the way, once the Lutz left, IT did follow them-Movie failed to mention. The movie says FICTION. Nonfiction is prue truth. Defeo who shot his family-TRUTH. He had EVIL in him. A house, car, a t.v., can be EVIL. Jesus Christ is REAL. SATAN is real. Whom will you chose? 1.5 million is NOT bad for that house. You must enter ant home with a clean spirit, heart, and soul. If EVIL is in your Life, we do have the same supernatural means of getting him out-JESUS CHRIST..Wake up people. Get thine heart right with GOD..and leave the horror of the Amityville House to its true meaning–FICTION..Get right with God and bring him into your Home. Whomever buys it, may the Joy of the Lord bring you Happiness....Atheists got mad, they say there is no GOD OR SATAN. Christians got mad cause it makes it seem that the people in the house were religious and a priest comes and GOD didn't help..PLEASE..study just what those people were really doing there IN THE HOUSE.. they opened the door for the DEVIL..Really study what the Lutz really were doing those 28 days.RESEARCH..If you live in a tent, you can bring the DEVIL/EVIL in, but you can bring JESUS CHRIST in too..May GOD be with you. By the way, I am a HORROR MOVIE freak. I once OPENED my own evil door way. I AM NOT RICH.. Evil exists. If you are a Christian, I AM. I have seen enough EVIL to never need to let a house get to me.. I have to Pray EVERYDAY for the spirit pf GOD to forgive me for the things I involved myself in. In many houses I have lived in. All I did was drag SATAN with me..Now I pray for GOD to free SATAN FROM ME AND GET OUT OF MY HOUSE. There is no room in my home for him ANYMORE...Seriously, BE CAREFUL..EVIL is real..Don't open any doorway to let it in. Its not just in your home, its in your mind and REAL..GOD BLESS YOU ALL.......

September 4, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Debra

I believe Chris. George Lutz opened the door to evil by dabbling in its various forms. Many people have this problem. Its epidemic really right now in the world.

August 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. msammons

I think something happened at that house. But what is sadder is how it tore the family apart. For years George was a father figure to Missy, Danny and Christopher but it all fell apart. Whatever did or didn't happen, that along with the real tragedy of the DeFeos' is the real horror.

June 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. evanguy reincarnated

Ocenier...Just a correction although you were close, it was the O'Neill Family (Not O'Reilly) that removed the 1/4 moon windows. I have done some research on this topic and estimate that it was actually the year 1990 when those windows were removed from the house and replaced them with the now square windows. I agree with you however that the house looked much better with those windows replaced on the house. I wonder if the town or the neighbors would have anything to say about that?

May 29, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Thomas Spychalski (Tomspy77)

I think something happened at the house on ocean ave, but I'm not sure quite what, but I do think that some events were more then meets the eye.
    I also think the story has become lost and distorted over the years.

The book The Amityville Horror by Jay Anston was made from tapes the Lutzes made of the experiences they all felt in the house, and never actually gave the author of the book any interview time or anything, so I think quite a bit was embellished upon when the book had to be made into a 'novel' like format for people to read.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle of the hoax camp and the haunting camp. I think things went on, but nothing like what was described in the above book, and certainly not the 2005 film.

May 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Oceanier

Whoever the new owners will be, they will obviously have some money to buy a home that is worth over one million dollars. Personally, I think replicas of the famous quarter moon windows should be brought back to the side of the house that faces Ocean Ave. It is a loose-loose situation. Since the O'Reilly family in the 1980s removed the windows and took them with them, the house for over a generation now is familiar to people with it's square windows and different color scheme. I see no reason why it would be hard or wrong to replicate the famous windows when everyone knows the home is now 108 ocean avenue, has a different color scheme, and features square windows on the third floor.

On Chris' behalf, the original book and 1979 movie were both grossly overstated what the Lutz's said took place. You also have to remember that the first public article about the Lutz's tail was in Good Housekeeping Magazine in April 1977 which the Lutz's never gave permission to publish!

The Amityville Horror-the book, was based on audio tapes George and Kathy Lutz made to help make sense of everything. Jay Anson used quite a bit of literary license, and in the paperback versions....changed things as they went along.

Was the house haunted when it was built in 1927? No. Is it haunted today? No. Did evil forces tell Ronnie DeFeo Jr to kill his family? Doubt it, when he claims his sister helped kill the family, and she is the only other person besides Ronnie to have powder burns on her. Do I think George and Kathy Lutz did transcendental meditation? Yes, and this could very well have produced temporary vibes that were bad and caused paranormal activity to occur to them.

The Amityville Horror exists in three parts: The DeFeo Murders, the 28 days of the Lutz Family, and the first two years of intense tourist harassment the Cromarty family faced when the purchased the home just as the book and movie were coming out.

May 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tino

I knew Christopher when we both served in the Army at Fort Drum. That's when we all got to know him and he opened up to us about what he had gone through in the house at Long Island. We can all believe or not believe as we choose but remember to treat one another with the same respect that we would like given back to us as well. A civil dialogue is always a great way to keep an open mind and then decide for ourselves. I do believe in what Chris and his family when through and seeing how great of a soldier he turned out to be and his service to this country only adds to his character and which is why he deserves the right to set the record straight on what he went through growing up in the house.

May 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gmom

Christopher is a class act. I have only seen one interview with him–so it's obvious he isn't using his life to gain anything from this. I can only imagine what he and his siblings went through in both child and adulthood.

May 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brenda

If the actual events of what happened in this house have been distorted and/or misreported, how about FINDING the children (who are obviously grown) and asking for the truth? Christopher, if you really are THE Christopher Lutz, then tell the story. I for one would like to know if any of the rumors regarding George Lutz and his REAL personality and not so savory lifestyle are true???? WHERE ARE YOU? More importantly, are you or your siblings willing to retell the true story?

May 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher John Quaratino (FKA Lutz)

here is an artical from Newsday, I gave Valerie Kellogg a short interview by phone yesterday

May 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jen

OH MY GOSH! Shut up Queany. and what kind of name is THAT????? Queany. wow whats the matter with your parents.

May 27, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. queany

well guess what. I don't believe ANY of it. its just another one of those stories that people try and get you to believe. if i could then i would live in the house even though it says it is haunted. I am not AFRAID of anything like you little fraidy cats. well bye!

May 27, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. Adrea France

Chris–you need to tell your story....ITS YOURS TO TELL!!! Don't hold your silence for anyone!!!

May 26, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sandra Strom

Why not have CNN just interview Christopher? Just to get the facts.

May 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Josh

Chris i think if you have something to say ... you need to tell your story ... seeing your life be abused by people that are only out for money has to be frustrating ... if you need help i am here at your service!!

good luck!

May 26, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jami

I agree with everyone else that wants the real story. I would LOVE for CNN to interview Chris. Chris, would you be up for that? I am sure it would be incredibly difficult to have to relive that scary time in your life...Best wishes to you and I hope you are doing well these days.

May 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. cousin bobby

My name is Robert Sylvester and I am Christopher,Dannny and Missys' first cousin. First would like to say that I love them all very much and was witness to much of what they went through. And now finally ,as adults, after years of contemplation, research and reflection maybe THEIR story will finally be told. To voice their experiences and unload the wieght they have been carrying for years. Godspeed to them . By the way the house looks a hell of a lot better than the last time i saw it but the price tag alone is enough to scare people away.

May 26, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Boof

Should you pity the fool, or the fools that follow him. I'll bet you all believe "Ghost Hunters" is real too.

May 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Elle

Christopher, I would love to know what the real story is. I cannot imagine what you must have gone through (bogus story or not) as a child. ((hugs))

May 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. spike

christopher, did you live in the house? How old were you? Were you only there for 28 days?

May 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Eric Walter

Christopher is correct in his statement. If this were all just a hoax perpetuated by the Lutz family, then why would they leave all their possessions behind in that house and put their family through this amount of media exposure for the past 35 years? Would it all have been worth it in the end? How could any of them had known the level of interest this story would gain? The family has claimed their attempts at going public were more to control the inaccuracies of their account in the media.

I believe the children were the true victims of these events. They had no control over the actions of their parents at this time. Would they have done things differently? We'll see: http://www.myamityvillehorror-movie.com

May 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  22. spike

it is a beautiful home, but even with its history, be it real or not, 1.5 million!!? REALLY !!

May 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Larry Buglino III

It seems like Christopher was pretty involved to not have a part in everything that came after. Maybe CNN should interview him about the story.

May 26, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Betsy

Would love to live in your home, but do not thing husband will move to Long Island.

May 26, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Head Diva In Charge

Personally – I couldn't live here. Ever.

May 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. agnes

His stepfather

May 26, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Christopher John Quaratino (FKA Lutz)

I wish it was "all bogus" ... would have made my life so much easier.
    Personally knowing the rest of the story behind the story... seeing it get further distorted with each retelling.
    Being sued by George Lutz to keep my mouth shut... seeing myself portrayed in movies and re-enactments, yet never having any say in or about what really happened.

more than a nightmare... My Reality!

May 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samsmom

if you are formerly known as Lutz..who is George Lutz that's suing you to be quiet? I'm confused

May 26, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • samsmom

nevermind...I figured it out. I'm so sorry for what you went through.

May 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barlow

I wonder if the house has been "cleaned"...and if people need to know what happened, then say it...if not, then I wouldn't bother...

May 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • diana laster

when did you live in that house-was your name Lutz-what really did happen?
      Diana

June 1, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. Cayman Girl

Well I for one beleived every bit if that movie...it still gives me the creeps just thinking about it now! If it was all bogus, horray for the Lutz family they created one of the best horror stories/movies of all time! But hey that's just me!

May 26, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Christopher John Quaratino (FKA Lutz)

Wow... The House Looks Absolutely Beautiful.... Great job on the remodel Mr. Wilson.

It looks much better than when I lived there.

May 26, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Allissia

Although, yes I think the house looks beautiful, but I loved the way it used to look. I have wanted to live in this house for as long as I can remember. When I found out it was on the market I was so happy then I saw the price. My mother texted me today and told about the house and asked me to find out the price so I did. Her and I have both DREAMED of living in this house for a long time. We know we may never get the chance, but it is nice to dream.

May 26, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |