May 25th, 2010

TV Recap: '24' no more

[Editor's Note: You know the drill by now. If you haven't seen the finale of "24," DON'T READ ANY FURTHER.]

Well Bauerites, today is the first day of the rest of our TV-watching lives. Our beloved "24" is no more. For those of us who have it recorded, "24" shall live a bit longer in the purgatorial realm of our DVRs. For the rest of us who have seen the final episode, it's all over. (Click here to read more on my "Life AFTER '24'")

Ahead of the show, I decided to "speak Bauer" all day. Time flew by as I threw in line after line of Jack's best quotes... although I did have a bit of trouble finding the right context to say, "The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you."

(By the way, schematics of the vending machines, my laptop, and the conference room speakerphone were all sent to my PDA, and by my count, I was "10 minutes out" about three times.)

I thought the show started well. Sparks flew quickly with Jack's appearance in the backseat of Jason Pillar's car, and that cool moment led to Jack telling Pillar that he was "gonna suture him up." At that point, the pace seemed to be off to a great start, especially since I was balled up in a fetal position watching Pillar stitch Jack's wound at gunpoint.

Elsewhere, I thought one of the best examples of "24's" dramatic muscle was the conversation between Mrs. Hassan and President Taylor. It was an absolutely riveting moment with two superb performances, and each of these fine actresses brought their all to the scene.

Yet my hopes for a fast, furious, relentlessly-heart-pounding thrill ride of an ending were dimming. The first hour was just "moderately paced," but I was hopeful that hour two would jump into high gear, and seal the deal.

Things kept moving, but the adrenaline shots just never took me over the top. As the credits rolled, I sat there stunned, silent and motionless. Was I taking it all in? I know I wasn't exhausted (with that "24" kind of exhaustion), and I know I wasn't shell-shocked by the heart-pumping action that's usually thrown at me non-stop during the show. There were many questions left unanswered. As Jack's "on the run" again, what happens next? Will the Russians be exposed and brought to justice? Will Mrs. Hassan seek retribution?

I actually think the final episode fell victim to my lofty expectations. I know the story will continue in the film, but for a show-ending episode, there was a lot left on the table. While a season finale is held to a certain standard, a show's conclusion has expectations somewhere in the neighborhood of the distance from Earth to the planet Jupiter.

Bauerites, it's been a great ride. Since 2001, Jack Bauer has entertained us, and made us gasp in disbelief at the horror he's seen many times. Let's look back, shall we? In honor of the show's conclusion, let's hand out some awards to a few moments we'll never forget:

(While reading this, feel free to begin softly humming the words to Boys II Men's "It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday" or, "I will remember you" by Sarah McLachlan... your call).

The Wow, Did You See That? award

Former President Palmer's assassination (Day 5) - This was truly one of the most jarring moments of the show's great run. There's nothing like the old song-and-dance of Jack being framed for a murder and a government cover-up, but this one takes the trophy home in a landslide.

The I Knew She Was Up To No Good! award

Nina Myers' betrayal (Day 1) - Nina Myers (played by Sarah Clarke) was the ORIGINAL CTU mole. She was the sinister, cold-blooded CTU agent who killed Jack's wife Teri on Day 1. If you're fairly new to "24" and you're trying to figure out how Jack Bauer's patented scowl came to be, start with Nina Myers.

The I Hate This Guy, But Hell Yeah! award

George Mason's moment (Day 2) - This former Director of CTU was (literally) a thorn in Jack's behind at almost every turn, but he gets a hearty "Hell yeah!" for one heroic act. After being exposed to radiation, Mason has one week to live and agrees to sacrifice himself to safely detonate a 'nuc-u-lar' device. Copy that.

The OMG! Jack's Gonna Hunt You Down! award

The murder of Renee Walker - As loyal fans of "24," we all know Jack's seen his share of tragedies, but few compare to the murder of Renee Walker this past season. As the sniper's bullet pierced the window, some clever editing made the moment that much more poignant. By the time the tense few minutes ended, the look on Jack's face as he was told Renee had been killed was absolutely stunning. Then, in an instant, his pain turned quickly to the need for vengeance.

The This Is Hard To Watch! award

The death of Edgar Stiles (Day 5) - Day 5 is arguably my favorite season in the series' history. Of the dozens of deaths throughout the history of "24," the show routinely killed off major characters. We've seen many come and go, but the death of Edgar Stiles in that Sentox nerve gas attack on CTU was a savvy move by the show's writers. While Stiles wasn't the uber-geek Chloe was, he was a likable character, and his death was a striking moment in one of the show's best seasons.

... And just like that, "24" is TV history.

Loved, kinda liked, or hated the final show? You can check out iReports on the finale here, and share your most memorable moments, thoughts and comments on the final episode of "24" below.

Post by:
Filed under: 24 • television

1. JC

....had it DVR'd, so I am a little late in my reply....
    Lets just say that I am crying harder than Chloe at the end. I feel like I have lost a relationship. It sucks so bad. Everyone is fighting to bring back 24. But i saw an interview with the creator...it wasnt FOXs decision to cut the show. It was a decision made by the creator and Kiefer to call it quits...they thought it was just time, and they wanted to go out on top. I am soooooo very sad. I love you Jack!

May 30, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GHammer29

I was about to feel bad thinking that I was the only one crying with Cloe at the end of the episode, but reading this blog seems that more than one was crying at that time. Open endings are not my favorites, but I guess we have to wait for the movie. Way to go Jack !! We'll miss 24 !!

May 28, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bunny

The last episode was outstanding. Chloe and Jack had the best relationship. The entire hour was always so engaging that one could not wait for the sound of the time being flashed quickly and for the next scene to begin.
    I cried at the closing two hour special.
    Each actor and actress preformed to the highest level. So sorry to have 24 end. Bunny

May 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. xy

Agree with Brian K, the finale felt more like a "season finale" rather than a "series finale." A little bit disappointed by the final two hours without real action scenes. Season 8, especially the second half, was good but it weakened the subplot about Jack’s personal life.
    Overall the series has been a great run for eight years. Keifer and other producers must be exhausted to keep in going.
    Agree with others that Jack killed Ryan Chappelle was a bone chilling moment of the show. That was incredibly tough to watch
    Again, want to see more old characters, such as Tony, Audrey, Pierce, Morris, coming back in the movie.
    Now come to my award categories:
    Best Villain: Charles Logan
    Best Mole: Nina Myers
    Best CTU Director: Bill Buchanan
    Best Day: 5 (especially Hour 1)
    Best President: David Palmer
    Best Male Friend of Jack: Tony
    Best Female Friend of Jack: Chloe
    Best Jack Love Interest: Audrey and Renee (tied)
    Best President Cabinet member: Mike
    Best Secret Service Agent: Pierce
    Best Scene: ?

May 26, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brian K

Very good finale, but it felt more like a "season finale" rather than a "series finale," due to the movie. It did feel a lot like the end of season 4 - here's hoping Taylor, Chloe, Cole, and Arlo don't get axed in the first five minutes of the movie.

My list of favorite TV shows mostly includes comedies (Cheers, Mary Tyler Moore, The Office, Family Guy, [The first 10 seasons of] The Simpsons, etc.), but this show topped them all. I'll miss it a lot, having watched since Day 1 Hour 1. The year lost to the writers' strike was difficult enough!

I do think they should have started the episode with "Previously on 24" and then ran through a quick montage of all of the biggest emotional moments of the series to emphasize what pushed Jack over the edge after Renee was murdered. It would have been a nice tip of the hat to all of the extrodinary performances over the years as well. Maybe they can do that to start the movie!

May 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kaye

I'm so sad that "24" is gone. I thought the finale was so great. Perfectly appropriate and satisfying. The ending, with Jack looking into the drone at Chloe, killed me.

I wish that the show had gotten as much fanfare as "Lost" did. Not that "Lost" didn't deserve its kudos. But I think that "24" deserved way more attention over the past few weeks than it got.

I'm looking forward to buying the series DVDs in December.

May 26, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. COsoundman

To the editor...PLEASE post a list of "Jack-isms" or "Bauer-speak" on this blog before you totally wrap it up. Like SO many folks here, Monday will NEVER be the same again. Every season was great in its own right so kudo's to the cast, crew, writers etc. They have made a ledgendary TV show. I only feel bad for the people that DIDN'T give this show a chance to "get to them". To NOT become a Bauer-ite is like not experiencing a beautiful sunrise and the beginning of another "24 hours". Great blog! Copy that...

May 26, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Anita

I really enjoyed the finale; I thought the ending was great. I hope Keifer Sutherland returns in something else worthy of his incredible skills (movie or television) soon.

May 26, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. Brian

Did anyone else feel like you were watching the end of 'The Truman Show' in those last moments...? Great show, decent ending... Understandably, things needed to be left untied for the movie, but they could have tied certain things up differently and not re-used the ending from last season. I too wish Jack got the kill shot on Logan. But, if Jack had shot Logan, he wouldn't have missed and the possibility of him being in the movie would have been non-existant.

That aside... that show was delightful... no, no it was brilliant... no, no, no, no there is no word to describe its perfection... so i'm forced to make one up, and i'm going to do so right now... Scrumtrulescent! 24 was absolutely scrumtrulescent!

May 26, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

To correct myself, the re-hashing was from two seasons ago when Jack was 'on the run' going into the redemption 'movie'... there are more ways than that to lead into a movie.

May 26, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. artrain

The networks took off "The Unit", now "24". At least I have "Burn Notice"

May 26, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ebenezer Chizom Echehiieuka

Hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe we can ha 25!

May 26, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Pam

i will miss 24. Pleas come back for another season.

May 26, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. BvsB

Hmmm, maybe the Russians will hire Bourne to track down Bauer in the movie ;)

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ian McCormick

Feel bad that it's gone. Made this for everybody.

youtube.com/watch?v=9DCy1BKZj7I

May 26, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. John

Man, what am I going to do now. My pusher; FOX; will no longer supply my drug "24". My head is hurting so is my stomach. I have missed only one episode since 24 has aired. No one was allowed to call my house when 24 was on. My hats off to the writers, supporting cast but mostly to Jack and Chloe. As a man, I pride myself with not getting emotional but Jack and Chloe goodbye got me. Even my wife was touched by my emotion. Jack's looking up into the camera before he started to run ...priceless. Good job guys, good job.............

May 26, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  16. Josiah

Okay, as much as I loved the finale I'm not sure I was a big fan of the ending. I mean, to me the emotion between Jack and Chloe was great, but here's how I would've ended it. After Logan kills Jason Pillar he manages to escape the building before President Taylor finds him, and he contacts the group who grabbed Bauer and goes to their location himself. Jack's locked in a small enclosed room, chained to a chair.

Logan Enters the room and punches him, saying everything he's ever done Bauer has fought to undo... Logan pulls out the gun and says after today he won't get in his way any more. Logan points gun at Jack, Jack gets up still chained to chair and knocks him down.

Jack breaks handcuffs off and gets up from chair. Jack takes the gun and points it at Logan.
    Logan: Go ahead Jack, it's what you really want to do right?
    Jack: (Drops gun). You and I both know you're not worth the bullet.

(Logan picks up the gun and points it at Jack. Jack gets on his knees and looks back up at him). (Logan shoots Jack in the Chest and just as he fires Cole breaks in the door and shoots Logan. Logan is dead and Jack is bleeding badly. Chloe rushes into Jack. They have an emotional heart-to-heart where he she tells him it's over and he thanks her for all she's done for him over the years. Jack asks her to protect his family from this point on, closes his eyes, and dies. Jack gets a silent clock countdown as the era of 24 finally comes to an end.

May 26, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • milo

nice ending. but we all knew bauer was not going to die this season. one day they will have tp kill him. just not this day

May 26, 2010 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  17. BSartist

This show should have been cancelled years ago. I watched up until Season 3 when the President started taking orders from a terrorist. That pushed it too far. Good riddance.

May 26, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. Khensa

I donated my TV and was without one from 1997-2009 because I didn't want to live a passive life. 24 changed that for me....the only show I cared to wait for and watch. It was an incredible show with incredible performances. Can't wait for the movie! I guess the TV will be collecting dust now.

May 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. My name is Bauer, Jack Bauer

One of the most emotional endings EVER of any TV show ever! I cried! Mostly because the show is ending and I don't know what else I will see on Mondays, especially when there's no football!! I have been watching 24 since it debuted. I loved everyones acting, Pres Hassan (Anil Kapoor – my favorite actor), Dalia Hassan, Pres Taylor, Logan (def up for an award), and of course Jack Bauer and Chloe (another one for an award)

Can't wait for the movie now!

May 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LPM

A fantastic series and finale! Jack and Chloe deserve Emmy's. Thank you "24" for 8 seasons of cheers and tears for Jack! Hopefully a network will rethink "24" and bring the show back after the movie.
    Nothing on TV can compare to this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Bsbolmom

All my favorite shows are gone! ER, Heroes, Lost and 24. I will miss these shows. Yo, jack! See you soon!

May 25, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Steve6167

Sat down back in Oct of 01 and was hooked from the start. I will say it was a great idea to start the season in Jan and go forward as they did without taking a break. Imagine they once stopped the show so Paris Hilton could prance around? Oh god. It was a great ride and I will dearly miss 24 and Jack's adventures fighting evil people. Well done by the whole crew.

May 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mimi G of Toronto

A terrific ending: Bauer's farewell to CTU staff and acknowledging Chloe's friendship was a great closure. What great acting from both of them (Chloe & Bauer).

Of course, President Taylor and Mrs. Hassan's conflict was one terrific scene – amazing acting!

May 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Barbara

I almost cried when Keifer said thanks. Love, love, love this show. There will never be another TV series like it. Will miss it, but the finale set up several possible scenarios for the movie. USA after him, the Russians after him; great plots. So glad they didn't kill him and he didn't kill anyone else. Although I did want him to shoot Logan right between the eyes. Wonder how long we will have to wait for the movie? 24 is made for the big screen. Untill we meet again Jack Bauer.

May 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Scott

There is no justice in the world of Emmy Awards if Gregory Itzen doesn't win for Best Supporting Actor. He is SO great you absolutely hate him thoroughly...completely.

May 25, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kathy

Like others who posted here, I cried at the end. I suppose it was the realization that my Monday night dates with Jack Bauer to help him save the world are no more, and I'll have to make do with catching up at the movies.

One question: I know Jack recorded Logan talking to Suvarov about their involvement in the day's activities – but where was that tape at the end of the show? What President Taylor viewed was Jack's "goodbye" tape that I believe he prepared for his daughter - not the phone conversation he recorded after secretly placing a bug on Logan's collar.

Perhaps they are leaving those questions to be answered in the movie...one can only hope. Thanks, Jack and esteemed CTU agents, for all that you did. You rocked my TV world for 8 days.

May 25, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

It was on the same card. Jack only had one recording device. Taylor didn't rewind it enough.

May 25, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Brian

"Shut it down" Awesome!!!

What a show....I can't believe it's over. I really do think it was the greatest TV series in history. As for the final, I was going to explode when Jack was begging Chole to shoot him...it seemed real...."JUST DO IT!" And call me gay, but even I teared up at the end when Chole teared up. OK....I'm gay. COME BACK JACK!!!

May 25, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. hannah1

24 was an annual thrill ride! You will be sorely missed!

May 25, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kadcar

Loved it and WILL miss the show!

May 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ksoze

Loved this show from the start, and cried like a baby last night at the end. Thanks to Kiefer and Mary Lynn and all the others involved in consistently producing a show of the highest quality. You will be missed, and I look forward to seeing you at the movies!

May 25, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sensible

I missed Aaron this season.

We never found out what happened with Martha Logan after she stabbed Charles with a fork (it was a fork, wasn't it?) but we can imagine she resting quietly in a facility somewhere. And Audrey? Is she resting in the same facility with Martha Logan?

I missed Chloe's husband - the actor and the character are both so good.

We never find out what happens with a lot of character because, rightly so, we don't need to.

Great show and I will miss it.

(LOST is also great but it is different so let us not compare apples and pantyhose. They were my two equal faves but had to end differently because they were very different shows.)

May 25, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. jt

Great show – I will truly miss it.

I have to say one thing – Only Jack Bauer could get the President of the USA to call HIM to apologize to him AFTER he has gone on a murderous rampage. Killing Russian Delegates with Diplomatic Immunity, kidnapping and assulting a former president, endagering many lives with all the public shoot outs and all.
    But the prez calls to apologize – WOW!
    Go Jack – we will miss you.

May 25, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Chloe...How long do I have? ...I'm going in

As I read the current views, I just broken into a whimpering little child that was spanked and it is now 3 hrs later. The part where Jack looked into the camera. I think that's what did it last night, if just felt personal. As if, my best friend of many, many years is leaving and I have no idea where or when will I see them again.

May 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. willie mays

Excellent ending. Not going to compare it to Lost as the two shows are apples and oranges in terms of theme, direction, and characters. Both, IMO, held true to their own identities.

I'm glad the writers did not have the ladies end an outstanding and tense scene by slapping each other (or, just one slap). Despite the obvious temptations, these two were heads of state and had the gumption to act like it (in public and to each other). One or more slaps would have ruined a great scene and rendered it cliche.

The Russians can't publically go after Jack or the US for the loss of their guys without explaining the motive for the killings. Movie fodder.

Logan was his perfect pathic self. The cross hairs scenes were amazing.

For all of his killing, Jack was able (with a strong assist from Chloe) to know where to draw the line. You can't just kill current and former heads of state. Each, in turn, will get a more deserving fate, including Logan who can't even cause his own death without messing it up.

I was somewhat surprised by one missing but probably minor detail. If Pres. Taylor resigns, the VP takes over. Unless I missed it (quite possible) do we know who that is? I would have thought the threat of the nuclear device in the NYC area alone would have brought that character to the screen, if only briefly. Guess that leaves all of the options open for a movie.

The last scene on the big screen rivals all great last scenes. I can't believe a movie will follow the basic gimmick of 24 (real time) but they may try. I don't know, 10 2.5 hour movies, each leading into and out of the other? A thought.

And, maybe only for me, but I enjoyed seeing Eric LaSalle on the screen again.

May 25, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Old Jack

I recently asked my three grandsons, "Of the three B's, who's the most indestructible: Bond, Bourne, or Bauer?" They were unanimous for Bourne, and I kind of agreed once he jumped off that 10-story roof. But now, after Jack got stabbed twice, shot in the chest, and beaten about the face and head several times–all in a day–I think Jack wins.

I too, have seen every episode, and I thought the finale was excellent.

May 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Dave

Did it bother anyone that the last thing we see was a "countdown" from :03 to :00? I really liked the finale, but I think that in one 3 second clip, the producers abandoned everything that made the series cool by counting down to "3 second before 24 is no more" instead of counting up as a clock normally would. Just a thought.

As with Hassan slapping Taylor, I'm glad that she didn't, even though I felt that Taylor deserved it, because it showed that Hassan had class, and that she could rise above. I thought that it was more powerful to have a "look" rather than a "slap".

May 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Slugbait

I missed an hour during Day 3. It was the sole reason I built an MCE machine, so I would never miss another hour again. Now that both 24 and BSG are done, I've got this computer just sitting in my stereo cabinet doing not much of anything besides recording Suzy Orman for the wife...

May 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ellie

I thought the finale was great! First because it was the first time that I actually cried watching "24". Chloe's tears were so genuine and the way Jack looked into the drone was so painful for me.

Second reason I thought it was great was because in the end – everyone who betrade Bauer lost everything even their lives.

Third........ the ending left all of us anticipating on the movie.

I do have to say though I will miss my Monday nights with Jack Bauer, CTU and the Gov'ts. It will be a void that I need to fill with something else.

May 25, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  39. b

Couple of observations...... The data card that the Pres watched contained Jack's goodbye to Kim and the recordings of Logan's conversations. It was recorded with the same vidio/audio recorder. Taylor just saw the most recent recording and didn't rewind it enough to hear the Logan conversations. But what we thought was a goodbye to Kim turned out to be a plea to Taylor to do the right thing, and an explanation to the TV audience that justified the day's actions.

The use of the drone was the writer's/director's brilliant move. I wanted Rickter, Cole Tony, Aaron or anyboby from above the bridge in the backround to shoot the guy who was about to shoot Jack. And when they said a drone was watching, I thought how lame. But it provided a way for Jack and Chloe to "see" each other as they said goodbye and also provide a way for Jack to look straight into the camera and in his own way say goodbye to the entire TV audience. Well done 24 writers/directors

May 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Wendy

I LOVED it... I have seen EVERY episode for 8 seasons... What am I gonna do come January and NO 24! I can't wait until the movie(if there is one – hope so). I also cried at the end – just couldn't help myself. Mostly because I knew 24 was no more.... Great writing even greater acting... LONG live JACK BAUER!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Chris Man

24 has been my favorite show of all time an trully is sad that its coming to an end the ending left it open for the movie...it was a nice ending to see Jack say thank you to Cloe an see Cloe bust into tears. As for Logan he might be able to make it into the movie for the said that he did not die but he might be left with Brain damage...i guess Logan is one lucky guy whos avoided death a couple of times...even by his own hand lol..as for Pilar was it me or did he remind you of Logan wen he was begging for his life...Sad to see it end an hope their is a movie in the work...i will watch my DVD's of 24 till my time is up!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Copy That!!

I went to a "24 Watch Party" and had a great time. Everyone stayed about an hour afterwards discussing what happened, especially since the producers left us hanging at the end.

Dahlia Hassan (not Nadia) should have slapped the you know what out of the President. I am FINALLY glad she (President Taylor) had guts at the end and backed out of the treaty. A nice cat fight would have added a great touch to the last episode. I gave her too much credit in the beginning, I thought she was playing both sides just to get the agreement signed, but found out she was really trusting Charles Logan – of all people, to do something for someone else's good?? Please! Next there's Arlo & Tim (the President's assistant) , I really thought they were moles too, but I found out otherwise. Chloe...what can I say, she played her role until the end, almost had me in tears too! Why would the producers stick Eriq LaSalle in there at the last episode as the UN Chief? He should have been there from the beginning of this season. Who was the "fresh face" CTU Agent bucking bad with Chloe & Cole? I wished someone should have shot him. Jack should have killed both Jason (can you say Mike Tyson??) and Logan – that would have been sweet.

They should have showed us clips from the upcoming movie and let us know when the movie is coming out. Now that Jack has run off into the sunset, I hope he goes to a Caribbean island, get healed, grow a full beard (the Rutger Hauer look – yeah!!) and get some rest. They shold also incorporate ALL of the people who have not dies off of the show into the movie and end it once and for all. I definitely will get this season on DVD, just like I've done in the past.

That's my two cents!! It's been real fellow Bauerites!! See you all at the movie – COPY THAT!!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  43. wm scot

I would have never got hooked on 24 if it was not for NetFlicks about three years ago. After the no commerical ride of Net Flix I was hooked !
    That and Direct TVs TiVo I to eliminate the commericals I was a happy camper. Got the ole lady to go to bed because she hated the violance and had Jack and Cloie all to my self. I normally do not get hooked on program network TV ( tried LOST but it did not do the same as 24) but this one I will miss. Great story lines , great acting , great show !

May 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. DAVE ADAMS

talk about a gut wrenching moment what about jack pulling the sim card out of the russians intestines

May 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Long Live Jack Bauer

I can only imagine how good the movie is going to be. For all my hard Bauerites, let's look back over the 24 series and count how many bad guys & gals we've given immunity to. One person we gave immunity to was the assassin chick who had Tony hostage and attempted to kill then Sen. Palmer. Bad idea letting her go. I wouldn't be surprised to see her pop up in the movie.

May 25, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Adam

I actually really liked the ending. It kept it simple, focused on the only thing that was truly important... Jack.

Best moment of the finale for me was when President Taylor plugs in the data card and it's the message Jack recorded for Kim. Yes, Jack was out for some serious revenge, but at the same time he really understood why the peace would never work, on a very basic and fundamental level. That's what finally guilted Taylor into doing what she knew was right.

When they found Hassan dead all those episodes ago, I worried that it would become all political and kind of lame, but these last hours of the day were so well written and acted that I've actually found myself forgetting about the bomb and terrorists completely.

May 25, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dan

Who cares about the parole officer? He had nothing important to do with anything. I'm sure they'll find him sometime soon, like a couple days after. He's only been there for a few hours.

I will be rewatching the last three hours. Although good, I did not like some things. But, often times, watching again will help show how things needed to unfold the way they did.

Although there were some definite problems with the writing over the years, and too many repeated storylines, this was an incredible series. What an amazing concept to start: real time action. It often kept us on the edge of our seats, even though we know in real life that Jack couldn't kill an entire Russian security team, kidnap the president, recover so quickly from torture and gunshots, etc...it wasn't about that. It was exciting, suspenseful, shocking, sad, and had a lot of moments that I wish real life had when you see bad people get what they deserve. And, it had some of the all-time best lines on tv.

Show will be missed, but the DVD collection has already been viewed many times.

May 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  48. gi gi

The two hour show went way too fast. I kept looking at the clock thinking, it can't be ending....it just can't be.

Cried for Chloe and Jack's beautiful recognition of their friendship.

I also wish Mrs. Hassam would have taken a round out of Pres. Taylor.
    there are so many story lines that could be written, I can't believe we can't have more. what a shame.

Let's hope, absolutely hope somebody will carry this on. The movie will be great, but it's not the answer.

Maybe fox could have had a show where Jack Bauer takes a round out of Ann Coulter....Is that what they want us to watch . YUCK!!

I'll miss all of you, it was so much fun on Mondays and Tuesdays.
    gi gi

May 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Chloe...How long do I have? ...I'm going in

Yes, there was a bunch of loose ends to last nights farewell, BUT, I believe that the creators of 24, did that simply to move forward toward the movie and not some random plot. Yes, I thought the chip was the conv too! I believe it was better than the conversation.

Logan~That chump will make it to the big screen! (Did anyone else notice Jack smirk as the first hr ended, when he was in sniper mode on Logan?) I believe the Russians are going after his tail next. And rightfully so!
    Dhalia~Should have showed Madam Pres. how they do it in her country when you are betrayed and lied to. (I'm just saying) The daughter was a little too whiney for me, though. I thought Dhalia and the other gentleman was going to set up Pres. Taylor after finding. She had a look like, Oh really?!!!! I got something for you, chickie!
    Pres. Taylor~She got some big ones, as earlier mentioned, in the last ep. I am glad, because she was really getting on my nerves.
    PO~Yes, CTU HAS to have a stinch in it by NOW! He was slimey too, a bit too weird for me.
    What's up w/dude that took the card f/Chloe? He popped up on the scene with a "Logan-Swagger"
    Cole~Disappointment towards the end, but I can totally understand him not trusting anyone. Dana did a job on him.
    I believe the movie will consist of NICE cast!!! I even believe they will bring some people i.e. Audrey Raines, Tony Almeida (Even though he went to the dark side) It would be cool for it to be Tony against Jack.
    Kim was only in a cpl of eps. Just like she left before, she'll make it too.

Last week I said that Jack was a "Super Hero" (when he captured Pres. Logan in the gas suit) Now, I am awaiting the Jack Bauer action figure!

It is also going to be interesting to see how they will timeline a 24 movie...tick, tick, tick, tick

May 25, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Ebby

There is still the body of a parole agent in the ventilation shaft everyone seems to have forgotten about.

May 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. bubinga

Most intense moment in 24?

I have to a agree with a post previously. It's when Jack had to sacrifice Ryan Chapelle in the train yard. With Chappelle on his knees sobbing, but knows what had to be done, and Jack holding a gun to the back of his head... all I could say was WOW, now that's drama.

May 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Wifey

Although I must say I sat last night feeling very "underwhelmed", your blog recap made me sit back and re-evaluate. The writing of the storyline was very well done and I think the set up for the movie has been made. I will definitely miss this Monday night tradition but look forward to you writing future blogs!

May 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. albert

Jack will never be forgotten. 24 is the best show ever in the history of television. period!

May 25, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Steve-O

I'm so glad I stopped watching 24 after season/day 3.

The only thing I miss is the drinking games involving the words 'perimeter' & 'protocol'.

May 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  55. jaxbak

so hard to say goodbye but easy to say thanks to all the writers and actors in this fantastic series – I hate even calling it a television show

the series ender was perfect – the first hour went by so fast i didn't even curse at the clock – glad taylor finally came to her senses and that jack didn't murder the russian president (that was a bad idea on so many levels) glad that chloe got to save jack again and that they got to say goodbye to each other

ctu is gonna' need a big clean up tho' with that PO's body still left in the wall and kim probably won't have to worry about being kidnapped anytime soon . . . but you never know . . .

goodbye to all the 24 survivors and those that "lost" their lives throughout these many seasons – i will miss you

May 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Long Live Jack Bauer

Best Villain: Habib Marwan
    Best Mole: Nina Myers
    Best CTU Director: Jack Bauer
    Best Day: 5
    Worst Day: 6
    Best POTUS: David Palmer
    Worst POTUS: Charles Logan
    Most Suspenseful Day: 8

May 25, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  57. pat glass

Logan will return if only in a semi-vegetative state. Jack will "need" information only Logan possesses. America needs a hero and Jack Bauer, if only fictional, fills that role. Thanks "24."

May 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. dwarfer

I agree that the show ended like other season's have ended...Jack going off on his own. I confess I teared up a bit when he was talking to Chloe at the end. I hope they do a good job with the movie.

I was surprised when Logan shot Pillar and then himself. Why couldn't Taylor give Jack immunity as one of her last acts? No problem giving it to traitors, etc. That annoyed me. Then he would just have the Russians after him.

We will all miss the best show on TV – at least until the final DVD set comes out and we can watch it all over again :)

May 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Lani

24 = Best. Show. Ever.

May 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  60. kathy in ct

to whomever asked why there wasn't a "goodbye" to fans at end of show, it was at the beginning.

Kiefer delivered a very warm and heartfelt thank you.

And yes, watching CHLOE cry made ME cry.

May 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Tim E.

This is the first time I have written here. I have been a fan of 24 since season 1 and I am sad to see the show go because I agree it has been one heck of a ride. It's great to see so many other fans as serious about this show as I and my family have been. All my friends knew that from Hour one to hour 24 I was not to be disturbed while Jack was doing his thang, lol. Can't wait for the movie! "Shut it down...."

May 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  62. ctbeckyw

OMFJ (Oh My expletive deleted Jack) Amazing ending. I had my fist pumping "YES" in the air while crying like a baby. Loved watching Logan blow his brains out and Taylor fessing up to her misdeeds and apologizing to Jack. Superb, superb finale. Can't see how this can ever be a movie since it's supposed real time. I think it'll lose quite a bit.

Wish the final shot was Jack looking up at Chloe and patting his chest like "love ya, girl" then the picture pixeling out. Though just the look up and the picture pixeling out was stunning.

Also kudos to the actors who played Mr & Mrs Hassans. I look forward to seeing them in other roles.

Now what will I do on Mondays ?

May 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Wendy

I loved it- I so wanted Jack to Kill off Logan though – the more he said, the more I hated that guy!!

And the face off between Mrs. Hassan and the President. I think Dalia should have slapped her – she looked like she wanted to – - and the President deserved it. I could not believe she (the President)would have ever listened to ANYTHING Logan had to say and when she did...well we saw what happened. He was such a little weasel!

May 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Joshua Weikel

I can't believe you didn't reap President Taylor a new one for threatening the IRK. That was the lowest of low in the idols of 24 history. It made Logan look a saint.

I think you also missed 2 key moments in the show's history.

The "This show just threw off the shackles" moment.

In season 2, when Jack has a federal witness brought into CTU, only for Jack to storm into the room, shoot the witness, and cut his head off to deliver it to re-establish cover.

The This isn't really gonna happen, is it? OMG it DID!!! Moment.

In season 3 when Jack was forced to assassinate Ryan Chappelle. That was an all time shocker for me, more than anything that happened in season 5.

May 25, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  65. NYMM50

As a true fan sice the show began I am going to miss it so much. I have turned many friends and family onto this show over the years and everyone became a true Baurite.
    I am going to miss Monday night's at 9.
    I enjoyed the last episode, of course. yet it just seemed like every other season ending show. Hasnt other seasons ended with Jack, alone and wandering.
    So, last we see of jack is he has been shot (although expert shooter Chloe gotthe bullet in and out where it could do no real harm), he was stabbed (OK, he got it sewed up), has been tortured, beaten, etc over past 24 hours..but now he is left, alone, in the middle of a deserted industrial area of Brooklyn. With both the Russian's and our own government/police after him.
    I guess he just hopped on the A train to JFK for parts unknown.
    Well, maybe not unknown. If it was anyone else we would ead to Rio or the south of France. But we all know jack is going to end up in the jungles of Africa or South America or some desolote region of Antarctica.
    Hhhmm..could be the beginning shot of a movie: Opening scene – Camera zooming in on a solitary figure, ice fishing when overhead a nucear warhead is aimed at his house.
    Stay tuned fellow Baurites and CTU agents.

May 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  66. I love Sandra

Thanks for the great ride, "24"! You will be missed. :-(

May 25, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Rosemary

Logan is not dead. He didn't pay attention in biology class and aimed the gun at the wrong angle. All he did was shoot off his chin.

May 25, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  68. L.A. from SWATS

I was okay with the way the show ended. It leaves plenty of things to be resolved for the movie...which my worst half agrees we should rent out a movie suite and invite a dozen or so close friends to watch!

I will definitely miss "24" and reading this blog to get my weekly "24" recap.

Great show and great blog!

May 25, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Frosted

As I sat sniffling while Chloe cried her eyes out, I couldn't believe this was it. The Jack Bauer Hour was finished. I think it was a good show, but for true Bauer-ites, would the LAST show really ever be perfect?? Really?? I think not.
    I do wish Dahlia (NOT NADIA) Hassan had slapped the Prez, although that would produce a war, not just a normal cat-fight. President Taylor showed many facets of her personality and proved she can be a hard-core politician as well as your average human being. When she threatened Dahlia with a military strike to coerce her back to the table, my jaw dropped. The hurt on Dahlia's face when she discovers that the Prez has deceived her was palpable.
    Where will Jack run to? The IRK will surely take him in. Whereever he goes, he loses more time with his family and is once again villified by the very coubntry he swore to protect. Yes, he whacked out for a bit due to losing yet Another love, but really, how much can one guy take before he snaps? I can't believe I have never missed a show since Day 1 and I too will have to figure out what the hell to do on Monday nights...

May 25, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Arthur

'24' was like Shakespeare in a modern action setting. The series finale, true to form, was not about major action sequences or special effects, it was about characters...in a nutshell the final scenes, via drone-cam, was brilliant, and tearful....live long Jack...we'll see you soon !

May 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  71. jennifer726

I am not going to give my opinion on these last two hours....all i know is that when the clock ticked down a wave of emotion hit me and i knew it was over. I was sad....which sounds pathetic but its over and i must move on.

May 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ariel

LOVED this episode and series ending. How could you not? The President Taylor/Hassan scenes were priceless and both women really brought it to those scenes. When Taylor threatened WAR on Hassan's country my mouth dropped to the floor and the look on Hassan's face was utterly perfect.
    President Logan's suicide atttempt at the end: beautiful. And the fact that if he survives he is brain damaged is even better.
    President Taylor's realization of what she's done...was just poetic. And of course if was Jack's video that made her realize it. Come on, it's Jack!
    Finally, the Jack and Chloe moments. Chloe has never done a better acting job on that show than last night. I too was in tears as Jack thanked her at the end for all she's done for him.
    Sad day, Bauerites. It's the end of an era. Can't wait for the movie!

May 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Dana

It was a perfect ending. Jack running off and the viewers not knowing where he will end up. I can't wait for the movie!

May 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Matt C

I am so glad the 24 finally was after Lost. There is no comparison for you Lost AND 24 fans. 24 was outstanding as long as you suspend you belief in the technology marvels and computer savvy CTU and others seem to easily possess. I think President Taylor's decision to admit her culpability was appropriate and right especially how she sold out her daughter last year.

I recall watching the 1st season and thinking how intense the show was. I never thought there would be a Day 2 let alone Day 8. Now that 24 is gone I have nothing to look forward to. I will miss this show but because of the disappointing way Lost concluded, I will not miss it.

May 25, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Frantz

Long live Jack and 24.....A movie in the coming yeas and why not....another network could pick the series. Let's keep dreaming.

Jack, we will miss you.

And for the best "day".....Day 5 and this one...

May 25, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  76. marine260

This was and excellent ending for 24. I truly believe the series could have gone further. Loyal fan from day one. Yes I yelled, screamed and cried at the end. 24 will never, ever be replaced. Great writers, producers, and actors. They made Monday's worth waiting for after a weekend. As soon as the clock wore down to 00:00 I missed it already. Waiting for the movie!!!! Thanks.. Long live 24

May 25, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  77. From the first

Bdog, I have to agree with Lou, they said he was still alive and mentioned brain damage. I hope they don't bring him back, unless it's to show him drooling on himself.
    As for Dana, yeah. people said she was alive,, I speculated that we would only see Katee in cameos on the tape.

May 25, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  78. let's be real

Gates9, lay off the drugs.

May 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Kirk1166

I will miss Jack hanging up the phone without saying goodbye or anything else. My wife and I actually called it "Jack Bauering" someone. We would point it out on other shows and kept track of the times we did it to each other. Great stuff!

May 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  80. j

Well the grand ride is really over!. It has been a real blast all 8 seasons and I really hate to see it end. However, I think last nights episodes did not really do this finale real good justice. It was good but I guess I was one of those really looking for the big bang!!!!
    To Blogger Steve; I totoally agree with you on how the movie is going to be. And I even think that they are going to make Kim search out her own father to get to him. If there is really going to be a movie. With all the hype, it really better be off the hook. And it would be interesting to see if (movie) who is going to be the president, how Pres Taylor is going to be handle, her and the Russian Pres.
    One thing I wanted to see was Mrs. Hassan not get up from that chair and turn to the Russian Pres and tell everything at that point in front of all the press and the news media. Can someone please tell me, what was the point of haveing Eric Lasalle on there? What he dild one of the other aids could have done.

May 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  81. johnerotten

this is a thrill ride i loved since season 1,and i think fox is making a HUGE mistake canceling it!other than FRINGE & HOUSE,and of course the nfl and world series,why would anybody watch fox now?i know i won't!
    and it was nice to see a politician do something right for once even if it was on a tv series!!!

May 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

Fox didn't cancel. Keifer with writers and producers decided to end it.

May 26, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  82. tesleen

Oh my gosh, we were laughing so hard last night at the look/expression on Logan’s face last night while he was waiting for the bullet to come through the window at the Russian president.

I have no sympathy for President. Taylor. She asked for what she gets but I do understand her plight and was moved by her apology to Jack.

I also cried at the end when Jack and Chloe were saying goodbye.

I feel this was a fitting end to the series and a great set up for the movie! Can't wait!

See you all at the theaters!

May 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Mia

I am not much of a TV watcher but I somehow got hooked on to "24". Day 3 is my favorite. I miss Michelle. The second favorite is this season, Day 8. That priceless face of Logan is still in my mind from last week. I miss Bill Buchanan and still can not get over the fact that Renee is dead.

Good Bye to everyone, it's been great chatting with you all on Tuesday mornings.

May 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mike Wilkerson - 24Podcast.Com

I'm a bit underwhelmed, especially coming off what we rated as the best episode of 24 – ever prior to this episode.

We spent 2×44 minutes waiting for the other intern-stolen shot to drop the entire time. There were scenes of excellent drama, but way too few for the "END" of a television series and launch of a movie.

Wanna' get me an 11 on a 1-10 scale? How about Dahlia grabbing the wonderfully dedicated pen, turning to Suvarov, jamming it into his jugular while screaming "JIHAD!"

Something – anything that would have served as a ramp that WASN'T this last hour-long episode of 24 (drumroll) making Soon-to-be-Ex President Taylor, the hero of our program until the movie in a couple of years? Really.

Really??

May 25, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  85. fisha

Where was Aaron Pierce? I was so hoping to hear him address President Logan just one more time as " Charles". Other than that, it was a fitting end to 8 years of on-the edge-of-my-seat, hold-it-til-the-commercial television. And it will be greatly missed. :-(

May 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  86. From the first

Linda,
    Just an FYI Chloe is NOT an original Character, she came on in Season 3.

May 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Jeff in Parma

I forgot to say goodbye to my fellow Bauerite Bloggers and Mr. Moore. My Tuesday's will never be the same.

Heavy sigh.

May 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Claude

Wow Can we go ahead and say 24 THE MOVIE COMING TO A TEATHER NEAR YOU VERY SOON that was the feel the show had last night, its like the producers were saying i kno we are leaving a lot of questions unanswered, but these questions will be answered when the movie comes out. I dont mean to point the obvious but the plot will be Russians and American going after Jack after he went off grid. Some of the elements last episode were somewhat dejavu. Here goes another foreign after Jack once again for killing one of their own, an act of war, Season 4 anyone. When Jack had to go off grid to protect himself and his loved one from retaliation from the Chinese, quite similar except in this storyline he didnt fake his death. He went off grid again at the end of season and tried to stay off grid well throughout Salvation. Just a few things were missing. Mrs Hassan should have kicked President Taylor when she found out about her betrayal. Jason Pillar should have died not at the end of this coward of Logan but at the end of Jack who bit off his hear a la Mike Tyson wow. Speaking of Logan this coward tried to take his own life. It was a pretty solid episode that did exactly what it was set up to do lead us into the movie. 24 for the past nine years you have provided me with entertainment like no other. Jack & Co you will be missed

May 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  89. JudyLL

Last episode was absolutely fantastic.

I do have a question: I think Jack purposely gave Chloe the disk (or whatever it is called) that contained his personal message instead of the one with the evidence because he knew she would be searched.

I don't think Logan even listened to the disk before he handed it to the President because he said it wasn't worth listening to. He was just all excited because he had the evidence finally. But the President did listen to it, and the viewers saw that it was not the evidence tape at all.
    Thankfully, that moved her to do the right thing.

But, where is the evidence? Does Jack still have it?

With 24 and Lost gone, my Mondays & Tuesdays are lousy now.

May 25, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

His video message and the evidence against Logan exposing Suvirov (sp?) was on the same disk. The personal message just played first so Logan didn't know his stuff was on it and gave the disk to Taylor.

May 26, 2010 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  90. Trapalon

Perfectly played! It wrapped up exactly like some of the best seasons. The writers stayed with the formula and did well. The pace wasn't as fast at the end but seriously, we were all exhausted. Jack climbs out of an overturned ambulance after being shot, stabbed twice, beaten, been in an explosion, et al. Me, I need a day off after giving blood! If he wants to walk the last few miles after that, so be it.

Him not killing the Russian worked for me. Chloe's argument that he was starting a war with a nuclear power for Renee was something I hadn't thought of. Up til then I figured he was just killing bad guys.

They left enough threads to string into a movie (heck, the movie might just be the next 2 hours) but we know from the past that they don't have to. They can go another direction.

The best of the night was the interaction between Mrs. Hassan and Taylor though. Like a Kentucky Derby winner they kept her pacing in the background all day but she poured it on in the stretch!
    Well done. Good-bye Jack and good luck. Another time.

May 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Van

Loved Chloe's last line of the show, "Shut it down". Very apt. Can't wait for the movie.

May 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Claude

May 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  93. AZ

Jack will be missed, but the fact he did not "exact retribution" in this series final episode was truly disappointing. The last two episodes prior to this one were great and I was expecting a "more wow ending". They are possibly saving this for the movie but the fans deserved more from Jack in this last episode. Did he even fire his gun in this episode?

May 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Daisy

When President Taylor told Jack he had better leave the country, it reminded me of when President Palmer told Jack "This will be the last time we talk my friend". I cried when I saw Jack look up for the last time. I cried like a baby. Mondays will really suck now.

May 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  95. twenty 4

i miss it already :(

May 25, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Chris Synfield

The 24 writers missed a great opportunity. At the very end of the credits, they should have had a guy in vacuuming the floor. The vacuum bumps a panel in the wall, and Kevin's dead parole officer tumbles out. "Huh!". Fade to black.

May 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Kelly

How can this article not have mentioned the suicide of Charles Logan?? I mean, I could not wait to see him get his, but the suicide surprised me!

May 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Jeff in Parma

I'm not ashamed to admit that I did have a tear or two at the end watching my favorite (and only) show leave the airwaves, and watching Chloe cry. Very sad. :(

I'm really going to miss this show. There is nothing that compares to 24, and having watched many programs, no show has kept me at the edge of my seat and evoked explicatives like 24 has.

I really expected Hassan's wife to slap Pres Taylor!

There's a few open details. How come Kim Bauer never called to ask Jack where he was?

Where did Michael Madsen go?

Is Logan dead or just faking it? lol.

The 24 movie can't arrive fast enough.

Goodbye for now Jack, Cole, Chloe, Arlo, President Taylor, Kim, etc...

May 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  99. illone21

Is it safe to assume that Tony will be his #1 opposition in the movie?

May 25, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  100. lALA

so it ends.

May 25, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  101. DUH

Yowster said..."I like the season and the final episode but was disappointed that they didn't have a snippet at the end with Jack & Co. thanking all the loyal viewers over the years (instead of the credits just rolling and a preview of some other show)."

The thank you was at the start of the show.

Now Monday nights belong to Chuck...

May 25, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  102. Lou

I too thought Arlo was a mole. Yowster, after President Taylor saw the recording, I figured Chloe had the recorded conversations, with Suvarov and Logan, stashed someplace else until she returned to CTU. I was wrong there too.

May 25, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  103. Will miss Jack

I have been a fan from season 1. My friend upstate and i would watch it on the phone together....we loved the show. Last night i felt my world come to an end. I can say i cried so much listening to Jack thank Cloe all the years together. Then he looked at the drone and i felt he was looking at all of us watching to say goodbye. Bye Jack see you in the movies.....

May 25, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  104. Yowster

Did anybody else think that the chip Chloe was hiding from Pillar was the voice recording of Logan and Suvarov, and not Jacks video message???

I was hoping at the very end that Tony Almeida would come onto the scene and save Jack (not the drone & President Taylor). That would have been a great tribute to a character so integral to the show over the years.

I will always fondly remember 24. Thanks and "copy that".

May 25, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  105. Dawn

Well, nuts. It's over. Some loose ends, but all in all, a great ending. I too, thought Dalia Hassan should have slapped Pres. Taylor. I kept waiting for Mrs. Hassan to pull out a gun and shoot the russian prez. Chloe did a great job as usual, while it appeared Cole wimped out. Glad to see Arlo was a good guy-I had my doubts for a while. No Tony & they never did find the PO guy in the wall. I feel like someone I knew died this morning-what's up with that.
    To all the cast & crew, if you read this blog, congrats for a great series. The best thing on tv. No more planned schedule for Monday nights anymore. I guess I have to break down & buy the series. Bye everyone, it's been fun on Tuesday mornings getting all your thoughts.

May 25, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  106. fernando

i thought the ending was great and perfect. it was very sad and i felt that it was almost real when president taylor talks to bauer and say sorry for the whole thing. and it was even more painful when bauer and cloe talk and start saying goodbye to each other.

it was very dramatic, it just fits, and i had tears. i don't that there'll ever be another series like 24.

May 25, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  107. bdog

Lou- He's dead, logans dead. Just like everyone else who said Dana's not dead...she's dead too.

May 25, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  108. Dan

More of 24...I agree completely. The moment when Tony reappeared and saved Jack in the garage was AWESOME. I remember jumping out of my seat and screaming for that one. One of the best moments that is never recognized with the other great moments.

May 25, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  109. Sirlord1262000

The votes are in and the rewards go to as follows:

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Cherry Jones
    Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Gregory Itzin
    Best Screenplay for a Televison Series: 24
    Best Art Direction in a Television Show: 24
    Best Actor in a Leading Role: One Kiefer Sutherland
    Best Show in a Drama/Comedy Series: 24

So it is written; so let it been done!

May 25, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  110. CHARLES LOGAN THE COWARD

@ 24 Fan With Questions

The Russians initially did want a peace treaty. Refer back to Day 5 I think it is. Unfortunately the treaty fell through because of Pres. Logan's arrest. We've never known of the IRK being involved in the peace treay prior to this season. Let's not forget that Logan actually gave terrorists(Vladamir Bierko) Suvarov's motorcade route in Day 5 so they can kill him. Too bad they failed.

May 25, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  111. Elaine

I loved the writing, loved the acting.

I am not much of a TV watcher. But I would always tune in for "24". Life without Jack Bauer????????????

May 25, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  112. Ivan Schiller

It doesn't have to end, why not a spin off with Jacks European counterpart maybe played be Jason Statham, using characters from 24, and of course the same writers.
    24 IMO is the best show on television, Fox would be insane to throw years of a worldwide recognized genre away.

May 25, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  113. Blacknumber3

Only Jack Bauer can threaten someone to shoot HIM at gunpoint!

May 25, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  114. Mrs Jack Bauer

Monday's have just become a bit bleaker. I already miss Jack Bauer. Thanks to the producers for an amazing ride. Bring on the movie!

May 25, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  115. Blacknumber3

THERE IS STILL A DEAD BODY IN THE VENTILATION SYSTEM AT CTU!!! (Kevin's parole officer)

May 25, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

LOL ! He'd been in there a few hours too. Wouldn't he become a little "pungent"??

May 26, 2010 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  116. More of 24

I think (one of ) the greatest moments was in season 6, 3rd or 4th hour when Jack is cornered in the garage and he is asked "who did you call" and he said "the only person I can truly trust" and 2 minutes later Tony comes in guns-a-blazing......

May 25, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  117. Linda

Loved it...Jack on the big screen...Chloe crying..which she never has done...even when her husband was in the muck and mire..two original CTU characters who have been to hell and back...Jack, wanting to protect his family once more, and counting on the one person he COULD. Yeah Chloe! Copy that!
    Mrs. Hassan and Prs Taylor held the most intense scene. Award season should recognize that! But it was sweet to see former Prez Smarmie unravel...and at the end he wasn't dead?? Set up for his role as more smarmie in the movie? and the guy in the wall that Dana killed? Hmm.....all in all 24 has been a great source of entertaintment and will be missed. Can't wait for the movie! Hell yeah! Dammit Chloe!

May 25, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  118. Jack Bauer phone home

When Jack killed Ryan Chapell (sp?) it was a bone chilling moment of the show. That was incredibly tough to watch.

Last night was incredible to watch. It is hard to imagine next January when Jack is no longer around. Since 2001 I have enjoyed watching the show. Though some seasons where off, and some where great, it was the concept of the show that made it standout.

I hope the movie does the character justice and is not a poor imitation of a Jason Bourne movie.

May 25, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  119. ME623

Too many questions need to be answered. I guess they'll answer them in the movie. The scene with President Taylor and President Hassan was great! Dahlia should have slapped the taste out of Taylor. I really thought she was. Dhalia would't look at President of Russia, if looks could kill, his butt would have been dead on the spot. :) Im really gonna miss 24. I didn't get into 24 until the last year. My sister let me borrow the DVD's starting with Season 1, and I've been hooked ever since.

Jack and Chloe have been together since season 2, they're the only characters on the show that have that history. Everyone else is dead or gone dark. Here's the characters I really miss: Curtis Manning, he was only in 2 seasons, but I wish they had kept him. Tony Almeida, what can I say, Tony was just the best. Bill Buchanan, Bill was like the father figure to folks at CTU, and he was such a likeable character. I was mad they killed him last season.

May 25, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  120. Jim

Season 3 will always be my favorite. Salazar, Chase, Jack, Chloe, Palmer, Chappelle, Tony, Michelle, and Nina (and a truly spectacular ending).

May 25, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  121. Dan

President Logan trying to do himself in had me give a "Hell Yeah!" to my empty living room.
    Then I had to explain to the wife, who was upstairs in bed, why I was so excited. A small price to pay.
    Great finale, great season, and a great series.

May 25, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  122. dusty

we all need to make sure the movie blows the box office away so that they have no choice but to keep making sequels.

May 25, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  123. jma

I have loved this show from day 1, but was totally disappointed by the finale. Why? Because Jack SAVES, Jack doesn't get saved. We have come to expect Jack to be the hero at the end of each day, and he wasn't here. I kept thinking Jack would pull one last F.U. from under his sleeve, but he didn't. I am okay with him not caring if he lives or dies, but the ending was all dependent on other people stepping up and it didn't work because that hasn't been what this series was about. That said, I will still miss one of the best shows ever.

May 25, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  124. Gates9

"24" sucks. Anybody that likes that show sucks too. You are helping the terrorists.

May 25, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  125. Pam

Are you Kidding me? I didn't realize I was holding my breath until the commercials came on in the 2nd hour.

I will miss this show. Way to go! A much better way to end a series not like "lost".

May 25, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  126. NateX

As each one of these great shows end, I feel it resposible to not pay for DirecTV anymore. I started watching 24 religiouls while being laid off last year and I can say what a great thrill ride and will be sorley missed by myself and millions. I persoanlly feel the Kiefer Sutherland deserves an oscar for a role he played for so many years and kept us all an emotional wreck for 24 hours. Thanks Jack, i will purchasing the entire set once it makes it way to Blu-Ray, the only way to watch anything. But in the end when I make it to the end of season 7, I will be caught up again, onll to be at the end of a great show once again.

May 25, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  127. Lou

@ Ab- Logan was not dead. They said he may suffer brain damage, but he was not dead at the end of the show. Just an FYI.

May 25, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  128. Lou

Mr. Moore, you almost lost cool points. I have been on since 9:30am awaiting your recap. We're cool now, lol.

I actually am pleasantly surprised that the staff ended it the way they did. The show did not leave me wanting for me. I think I can come to terms with it going off the air now. Of course I will be watching my dvds from season 1. Also, I will be in the theaters when the movie comes out. I think the show can honestly rest in peace now.

The conversation between Jack and Chloe almost had me in tears. Wow, that was great. I did think Lady Hasaan was going to smack President Taylor. That would have been priceless, as previously pointed out.

Fellow Bauer Fanatics, thanks for the past few weeks that I've joined you. Valerie, I look forward to your comment. I don't think you realize how powerful "Simdectomy" was to us. Tell your friend "great job".

Mr. Moore, we really appreciate the forum that you created for us to relive the moments. Fantastic Job! You deserve an award yourself.

Oh, Poor Edgar. And can someone please tell me where the heck Audrey Raines is. I miss her.

At the end of your post, please let me know what was your favorite.

May I borrow this? "Copy That".

Season 5 Copy that.

May 25, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  129. 24 Fan With Questions

While I enjoyed the last half of the season, I'm left with questions. But not ones that were left unanswered at the ending. Rather, initial motives. What motivated the Russians to kill Hussan and everyone else that is dead? If they were not in favor of the peace treaty, why be involved in the first place? Why not just say, 'ah, it's not for us, thanks anyways'. Why go to all the trouble of the nuclear rods, assassinations, etc. It seems like a lot of trouble, calculating and heartache could have been avoided.
    Any thoughts?

May 25, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • ctebckyw

Russians wanted Hassan dead to stop the treaty being signed. The IRK government was fragile but rather than create instability with the death, it provided a common thread.

May 26, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  130. CHARLES LOGAN THE COWARD

I recommend MIKE NOVIK for POTUS. Jack and Mike have always had a good relationship.

May 25, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  131. Donna F

EXCELLENT!!! Not completely all heart stopping action, but some cold, calculating story telling. Loved it! My heartfelt thanks goes out to all the writers, producers, actors for a series that I will never forget, will watch over again and sadly never be able to replace!

May 25, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  132. Ab

Jimbo, Logan is dead. Of that there can be no doubt. Good character to hate, played by a brilliant actor, but no movie for him.

May 25, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  133. tazzer

Wow what a great 2 hrs. I thought they did a fantastic job. The scenes with President Taylor & Mrs. Hassan were v tense- great acting. And of course slimey Logan was great too- appropriate that he took the cowardly route. The end scene was v touching & left me with tears. I thought it was v classy- ended but still left an opening for a movie. I've been watching 24 since the very first scene & will miss it dearly.

May 25, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  134. Ab

Logan got what he deserved. He did not deserve the glory of an assassination but the disgrace of a murder-suicide. Nice. Long Live Jack (until the movie where you will go out in a blaze of glory)

May 25, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  135. sjp

I've watched every show since the beginning.

Mondays are gonna suck.

Best series I have ever seen.

May 25, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  136. BILL / BMore

WOW. I have been a fan of 24 from day one and i will miss the series alot. Jack is the true anti-hero and who better to play it then Kiefer. I would have really loved for Jack to take both shots in the office but i know we must save some for the movie. This has been a bad couple of days with LOST and 24 ending in back to back days. Oh well at least we can look forward to the movie and i am syre vegas will have a over underon the body count once it comes out. LOL Well Thanks for a great run and in Jacks words i must go back to work NOW !!! :)

May 25, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  137. tblodge

I miss it already.

And what about when Jack had to put a bullit in Ryan Chapelle's head, even though Chapelle hated Jack, that was brutal. And how can we forget Jack kicking his heroin addiction by hour 6 of Season 3 (I think). It all blurs together.

May 25, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  138. Derrick

Thank you FOX for bringing a great show to the tube, it has been an outstanding run, but don't be blaming us when your viewership drops on Monday night, it will be your own dam fault!!!

May 25, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  139. Jimbo

Why did Chloe have to cry at the end. She should have stayed in character and did her mouth thing.

Also, I don't think we have seen the last of Logan–at least I hope he returns in the movie.

May 25, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

She cried because she's been crushing on Jack since season 3 and also been the only person who NEVER turned on him.

May 26, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  140. John G

What a great finale. Can't wait for the movie. Hopefully it picks up right where the episode left off. 2 1/2 hour movie at least. Logan in his office was hilarious just sitting there staring out the window. I am bad for saying I wish he shot Subarov (sp)? : )

Long live Jack Bauer

May 25, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  141. From the first

Loved it. I was on edge wondering what was going to happen next, don't know if it was because I knew it was the end or what.
    I was crying at the end. Mary Lynn who plays Chloe had me in tears. I don't know if I would have been crying if it wasn't for her.
    I don't know where to begin to give praise. All the actors and actresses played their roles so well and gave their characters their all. And the writers, for staying true and giving us all another season.
    I love the show and like other true fans hate to see a series I love come to an end. But I'm glad they ended on top instead of playing it a few more seasons and everyone getting tired of it. Like MASH, and maybe Lost, to name a couple.
    KJ I agree with you, the only thing I would have changed is for Mrs. Hussan to slap President Taylor in the face. That would have topped when Jack Slammed Dana's face on the table!

May 25, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  142. AmyinOaktown

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

May 25, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  143. Steve

Great Season...In my opinion, probably one of the best of the series.
    Though, I thought season 4 and 5 were pretty darn good as well.
    I too had lofty expectations for the last two hours. These last two hours didn't have the intense thrill of the last 5 hours.
    However, I was pretty satisfied. Unless you've been living in a cave, everyone knew Jack was gonna survive. I was just reeling in anticapation for how the Logan-Taylor-Hassan situation was gonna play out. I was yelling at the screen for Jack to pull the trigger on Logan, then Chloe and reality began to sink in again.
    Kinda wish the producers would've let Jack take Logan out...
    Seriously...I think Jack deserves that kill...don't you?
    Anyway..lets be honest...the last hour probably sets up the movie.
    Jack will be in Europe, the Russian will probably have already kidnapped Kim, Kim's daughter Teri, or both...and are going to kill
    them unless Jack gives himself up...The American's will have a new president...kinda interested to see how that plays out...
    Eventually...[unless movie produces stand to make millions on a
    "24" movie franchise]...Jack will offer himself up for execution to save his daugher and grandchild and "24" will tick..tick..tick off into the sunset...

May 25, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  144. CopyThat

I thought it was excellent – of course I was crying right along w/Chloe at the end. Sap! Thanks for a great blog. Copy That!

May 25, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  145. Joe

Are you serious? NO mention of the sniper on Logan's head, or how he decided to leave the scene?! For someone who hated Logan so much you certainly don't give much full-circle for the conclusion of that part of the storyline. The conversations between Chloe and Jack when he was about to put a bullet in Suvarov's head was among the best in the series.

I'm surprised that this recap doesn't give more detail about the best moments of the episode...

May 25, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  146. CHARLES LOGAN THE COWARD

What a great series finale. I will truly miss this show. I'm a loyal and dedicated fan since season 1. I'm glad President Taylor grew a pair and stood up to Suvarov. I can't wait for the movie. Long live Jack Bauer. My Mondays are back to sucking once again.

May 25, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  147. Dan P.

Thanks to CNN for recaping each episode. I was glad to see the justice was done with the President taken responsiblity. Now, we can all relax until the "24" movie comes out. This was a great train ride that I will continue to enjoy forever with my "24" DVD collection.

May 25, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  148. carl

Thanks to Cole's line: "The weapons charges alone will lock you up for the duration," for now on I will refer to my life as "the duration." Man, I'm gonna miss this show.

May 25, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  149. Kenneth

I've only watched one season of 24 and it had me so stressed out I vowed never to watch it again except on DVD once it was all over. Finally I can do that!

May 25, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  150. JackBauerRocks

Have loved your blog–many thanks!!–and will sorely miss this show–it's been our favorite for years....thought they did a decent job of wrapping it up while [of ourse!] leaving us all salivating for the movie....

May 25, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  151. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

All I gotta say is I loved last nights show. The scenes between President Taylor and Nadia when she found out the Russians killed her husband (they way Nadia exited the room and exaggerated the slamming of the door = fantastic acting). I literally shat myself during the scene where Jack had President Logan in his crosshairs. The expression on his face was PRICELESS. The confrontation between Jack and Chloe was great. The team finally loosing the evidence to the bad guys. This show was jacked on adrenaline from minute 1 and this is how you end a series (take note you Lost-Fanatics). The writers stayed true to the series and the characters and delivered one of the top two series of the past eight years (year 1 one was the best). It would have been fitting if they killed of Jack (which is what I thought was going to happen) but boy, did they know how to draw that moment out with as much tension as humanly possible. But I cheered when President Logan did what he did at the end of the show.

I'd like to thank the writers for bucking the trend and providing us with two strong leading women in President Taylor and Nadia. When they were on stage with the Russian president I was like, Wow! So I hope this show wins TONS of Emmy's. It really, really deserves it. They pushed this show above all others this year and renewed my faith in scripted dramas.

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  152. DUH

I'm okay with the ending IF there is a movie. If not, Jack should've been able to sacrafice himself to end the show.

May 25, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  153. KJ

Now that I've read it :)...I liked the first hour but the second hour SUCKED! FIrst, Lady Hassan should have slapped President Taylor! Second, they really needed at least 2 more episodes to give the story line justice. All in all I enjoyed the season but they could have ended it better regardless of the "rumor" of a possible movie that probably won't be out for 2 years, if ever! LOVE THE BLOG!

May 25, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  154. Todd

Thanks for all of the recaps & thanks to the writers of 24 over the years! Jack has become a legendary tv character & will be missed!

Can't wait for the big screen...

May 25, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  155. KJ

I was just about to post a message on that Bachelorette blog! How do you NOT start the morning off with 24??? Treme? The Bachelorette? Come on!

May 25, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |