May 25th, 2010

TV recap: 100 percent Grade A 'Chuck'

[Editor's Note: You know the drill by now. If you haven't seen the season finale of "Chuck" yet, DON'T READ ANY FURTHER.]

The Buymore has burned down, a Bartowski is gone and Chuck is out of the spy game. That's where we've ended after the finale. But as we all know, everything could change in a flash.

When we last saw Chuck, he was writing his “spy will.” (Don't worry, season four is already planned. Chuck isn't going anywhere.) Meanwhile, Ellie Bartowski gets her life flipped upside-down. Instead of working at a hospital, she's now in the care of a CIA agent who we all believe is a Ring operative.

Speaking of Ring agents: Daniel Shaw is back. The last time we saw Shaw he was floating down a river in Paris, riddled with bullets. And while we saw a picture of Shaw in the last episode, it took Chuck chasing him through a subway and security tapes to prove he's alive and not a figment of his fractured mind.

Enter Steve Bartowski, Chuck and Ellie's quasi-crazy and genius father. Steve Bartowski is back to help save his son's brain from being destroyed by the intersect.

Did we mention former CIA-turned-Ring agent Daniel Shaw also has the intersect imprinted in his mind? Well, he does. And he wants the inhibitor device Chuck's dad created to stop the mind-blowing side-effects of the intersect. Plus, Shaw wants revenge.

So Daniel Shaw is alive - and General Beckman is unreachable. Perfect.

By that time, General Beckman is testifying to keep her team together at a CIA panel. Beckman even goes so far as to say "Charles Bartowski is poised to be the weapon we have always dreamed of." It seems she's finally believing in the intersect project.

But unfortunately for Beckman and her team, Shaw manages to dupe Chuck into breaking in to a CIA building instead of a Ring building along with Sarah and Casey. Chuck ends up stumbling into the meeting room of General Beckman and CIA higher-ups, and the result is all part of Shaw's plan: He’s shown to be unstable, the team is shut down and it looks to be the end of team Bartowski.

Eventually the CIA puts burns out on the gang and they're all carted up, including Chuck, but not until one of the most dramatic scenes of the series occurs.

Chuck's dad, Steve Bartowski, gets shot by none other than Daniel Shaw. And with that, Shaw has made himself the supervillan, but Chuck can't do anything about it as he and his team have been thrown into the back of a police van.

Time for the B-team. No, not Team Bartowski; my other favorite B-squad: "Captain awesome" Devon and "agent" Morgan Grimes. The dynamic duo are put on the case, and while it took some random button pushing for Morgan and Devon to pull off a rescue of Chuck and his team, they manage it. Ellie, who tailed the truck, is also nearby. Through all of the commotion we see some touching moments between Chuck and his sister. With the death of their father fresh in both their minds, Chuck promises his sister his end to the spy world will come after he takes care of Daniel Shaw.

Cut to very bad wigs, accents and facial hair when the group infiltrates an industry expo filled with Ring leaders as they track Daniel Shaw. And while Chuck is discovered, he turns the tables on Shaw, exposing his traitorous ways in a manner totally fitting for a geek of his nature - streaming it live.

So Chuck gets his team's credentials back, Daniel Shaw survives and Chuck's dad is dead. Phew! That was a lot in two hours. But wait, there's more.

Back at the Buymore, Jeffster is near to premiering its music video. And who shows up? Nemesis Daniel Shaw. He escaped capture at the expo by flinging himself out of a window, and he returned for revenge. In a nice, action-packed climax the two intersect agents go head-to-head. Finally.

So the Buymore is saved - we think. Agent Shaw is captured and all is looking good for the team until "agent" Morgan Grimes, who, after breaking his thumbs in the process of helping his team, finds the detonator. We all saw this coming: Boom goes the Buymore. At this time, I look down at my watch. It’s 9:45 p.m., and yes, there’s still more.

A message from Chuck's dad poses the question we've all been pushed to ask this episode: Where's Chuck's mom?

In a classic scene reworked, a phone rings in a non-descript room. “Hello?” Of course, the woman on the phone is Chuck’s mom. Ding-ding, season four is upon us!

So, what were your thoughts on the season finale? What were your favorite moments? And, when will Jeffster’s video premiere be on Hulu?

1. praca

ou did a righteous job creating a words fit photographers like me with no opinion with stock. You explained so much that I needed to know. I run one's eye over it with zealous interest. You are a incomparable writer. I’m gratified to from met you and skilled in that you are as resourceful and approachable as your work indicates. Your keep from is appreciated.

April 13, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. stargazer

Loved season 3 and the finale was amazing!! Daniel Shaw is the best villain the show has ever had hands down. Hope he returns somehow.

January 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rachel A.

Chuck is an AMAZING show! I have never seen a show that mixes action, adventure, romance and comedy all in the same hour! I LOVE IT! I thought it sucked that they killed off his Dad, totally lame, but people have a knack for coming back from the dead in this show. I absolutely love Morgan and Captain Awesome, I'm glad they gave them both bigger roles. I agree with whoever said that Ellie pushed Chuck to be something more then tells him to quit when he finally does! A+ for this show all together and, of course, the season finale!!! I hope they also go more indepth with Casey and his daugher and her mother, I kinda liked that story line!

June 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anita

I look forward to every Monday to see Chuck!! The season finale was great. It was my feeling all along that Chuck's dad is not dead.....he has become very adept at disappearing. Chuck's mom and Casey's daughter will add a twist for the next season.....can't wait!!

May 27, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ernest

I will agree that this was a very good episode.

For everyone stressing over B. Sr's death. Dont worry too much. He was conveniently shot 10ft from a lab that regenerates tissue. There is a four lane highway worth of room to bring him back when the writers need a new twist.

It will be great watching how they build out next season.

May 26, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Colleen

Okay – this is our first Chuck season but definately not our last. Bummer to lose Dad – we vote for his return next season!! We missed the last 15 minutes of the show. Recorded it and for some reason it cut out before the show as over – thank goodness for your recap. Who needs reality shows when we can have Chuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Adam

I'll just start off with saying that the finale was epic. By far the best finale I have seen. (I'm currently following about 5 shows).  I do agree with the killing off of Chuck's father. This way Chuck will have to find his mother on his own will.  But then again there were a lot of fake deaths this season and for all we know the Ring might have him. So really anything can happen at this point. The only flaw I found was with the explosion of the Buy More.  The graphics of the explosion didn't stand up to the level of detail put into the show.  Overall I agree with Tom, "Chuck easily is best written and well-acted show of it's kind."
    I am officially Chucked.

May 25, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JOE

I have followed Chuck from the beginning and it is a MUST SEE TV. Great Job -Can't wait for season 4

May 25, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Becky

Chuck finale GREAT-well written, well acted. Dad should not have been killed off tho-too sad. Don't know who thought it was ok to run it against reality shows...Scott Bacula was terrific, will always be my heart throb.

May 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JRF 47

I love this show. I have never missed an episode, and don't ever plan too. Chuck has it all when it come to good entertainment. I hope it goes on for many seasons. The writing is great, and all the charectors work well together and compliment each other. It has made me laugh and cry in the sasme eppisode and I cannot wait till next season. The night when Sarah and Chuck finally got together was the greatist.
    NBC please keep Chuck going and give the show a chance to show it is a great hit for the Network
    Thanks Chuck and Sarah are awsome!!!!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jennifer

I LOVE THIS SHOW! Chemistry of cast is the best on TV. Perfect blend of humor with plot. Casey remains my favorite character. Thrilled it is back in Fall. Hoping for more than 13 episodes. Only show we watch regularly. Have not missed an episode since season one. Chuck ROCKS!

May 25, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mushymushroom

Whoa....! I knew from the very beginning that this show is the bomb. Too bad people are too busy watching reality shows.
    Way to go CHuck!!!

May 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pat

Chuck is the only show I can't miss. I love it. It was a very emotional episode. At the end they set themselves up for season 4 perfectly. Casey is my favorite cahracter and i like how he has a more human plot as opposed to just shooting bad guys. I will miss Orion, but I can't wait for season 4. I've been watching sence Bryce sent Chuck the original intersect and it keeps getting better!

May 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DawnD

I have followed Chuck from the beginning and it is my only MUST SEE TV. I think the writers are great. I do hope that at some point Daddy B can be brought back....heck, they did it for Shaw, why not the Big Bartowski? I love the fact that Casey has a daughter and want to see that story develop. All the story lines are really good. The Jeffster is a hoot...and I hope the boys and Big Mike will continue too. (Let us have a moment of silence for The Buy More.) I hope Chuck will continue for many seasons to come.

May 25, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Daniel

This was one of the best episodes yet I can't wait till season 4!!

May 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cobra Grimes

The Season Finale was indeed EPIC! Thank Goodness that it was picked up for one more season and is coming back in the fall! This was definitely a very emotional episode and if i weren't dead on the inside I'm sure i would've cried. Can't Wait for season 4!!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kimberly

My favorite show, and surprisingly my 23 year old son's favorite, too! I hope this show sticks beyond the 13 episodes promised next season, there are very few programs worth watching. Chuck (and cast) get an A+ from our household! Excellent finale....

May 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. rachel

i've been a huge fan of this show and it always seems to be consistently good, but last night's finale was just amazing. though i wish his dad hadn't had to die(though it is chuck, so maybe he'll be back? has anyone on chuck died the first time?) i'm guessing next season will be the last, since the ratings were at a season low. why can't more people appreciate how amazing this show is?

May 25, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chuck Fan

This was the best season yet. Totally awesome finale and cant wait for season 4. I am so glad they have shed the Buy More and the lame subplots.

May 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. lalalala

That was the most amazing season finale of any show I have ever seen. Action packed, romance, relationships, suspense, unpredictable events. It had it all. I am so glad Chuck was not canceled!
    Can't wait for the next season!

May 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jane Walter

Great finale. Looking forward to seeing it again. PLease bring back Dad "Scott B"Love him. But cannot take my eyes off of Shaw. Villian or lover he is gorgeous and an great addition to the show.

May 25, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Sagar Sanganee

i hate chuck! it has made me fail im a levels :( i just found out about chuck a week ago and now im up to date... and no work done :S
    BUT A GREAT SEASON FINALE!

May 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. pattie

I've been a Chuck fan from the get go. Love the show, great characters, cast works great together. Great exciting and funny season finale. I love Chuck and Sarah together. It works. Glad Morgan is included in spy world now, and finally I am so glad they will be back in the fall!

May 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Missy

Love that Chuck! Best season and finale ever! It was even better than I could have hoped for. We have gotten hooked on Chuck this year and look forward to next season. Great cast – love 'em all. Great job cast, crew and writers! More Chuck please!

PS: Bring back Dad Bartowski, too.

May 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. J. N. A.

It's mentioned that the ratings were low. How could this be? This is the show! Wake up people! For great action, adventure, with touches of comedy and romance, CHUCK IS IT!!!! What am I to do Monday evenings now without Chuck??? Can't wait for next season!

May 25, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. LB

Riveting, attention grabbing wrap up for the season & looks to be great for season 4 – glad the writers & cast continue to keep the show as exciting, fresh & funny now as when it started in the 1st season. Keep up the great work, can't wait – we will be watching!!!

May 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. kwesi bacchus

i loved everything about the finale but the way elle asked chuck to quit the spy game, for 3 seasons she wanted chuck to do more than the buy more and when she finds out he has she asked him to quit. i hope chuck doesn't lose sight of the great love he has found in sarah. the spy game after has changed his life for the better.

May 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Stevo

I am so glad to see all you sensible people that watch this entertainingly awesome show! Tell all your friends and get them hooked so we can keep Chuck around and see how the whole story plays out!!! LOVES ME SOME CHUCK!!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Nancee

I love this show! Morgan and Awesome alone in Casey's special car pushing all the buttons, launching the missle was classic. And the scene in BuyMore where Jeff is excited Ellie may be available ("looks like Chuck with girl parts") killed me. p.s. I'm 58 years old and this show has fans from all age groups.

May 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rares C.

Good episode ... that was the story of CHUCK , all the episode were great . Hope next season will be good or even better than what we seen so far.

Chuck=10*

May 25, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Victor

Killing off his dad was kind of lame. It just seems like the writers were looking to give him a revenge motiff that really wasn't all that necessary.

Shaw should come back next season seeing as how he has become Chuck's archnemesis after killing dear old dad.

The mother seen to be evil, but then again the way in which they presented the scene might be an elaborate set up to mislead the audience.

We'll see next season.

May 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Rachel Duncan

Loved it! Add my vote to Dad Bartowski somehow coming back...he's a wonderful character in a show filled with them. Here's to season 4...may it be a full one, not a half!

May 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  33. O

It was great, loved it, hope the show keeps on going strong.

May 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Tom

Easily the best written and most well-acted show of its kind. The series finale(s) last night were at times hilarious and riveting–typical "Chuck" fare.
    Love the Subway "commercial" with Big Mike. Thanks, Subway, for stepping up to the plate this year and helping the show financially.

May 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Brian

"Grade A Chuck" is right! A great episode, so looking forward to Season 4!

May 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. D S

Hope Dad Bartowski will make a comeback, just like Bryce and Shaw after they were killed off. He played a very good role.
    Enjoyed the finale.

May 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bryan

I love this show. The finale episode was loaded. Some things are important leading into the next season. I honestly can't wait. "Chuck" Has alot of things that other shows on NBC don't have, The show has Character, and It's not boring,and it's not for-telling. If "Chuck" gets cancel then I hope the USA network picks it up or something. Because "Chuck" Rocks!

Can't Wait for SEASON 4!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Tim

I am Chucked – loved the finale and the show – keep them coming..

May 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Brenda

I loved the finale it looks like they have come up with a story line for Session 4- bring it on!

May 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Chuck Me

The episode was amazing. I hope they pick it up for a full year next year and not just 13 episodes. Shaw still being alive i believe leaves the show the option to bring him back next year in some form. It is not clear if Chucks mom is good or bad at this point but all signs point to bad and chuck having to decide whether or not to get back into the spy game to turn his mom good. By the way, so many Star Wars references in this episode, it was amazing. "You are my only hope". CHUCK RULES!!!

May 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  41. MsChuckLevi

The finale was epic. Too bad the viewer ratings were low =(

May 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tom

Thought it was great! Can't wait for next season. I only hope it starts in the Fall.

May 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evil Toe Jam

My biggest concern is the low ratings If you taken notice the over @ CBS their shows aren't featured on the CBS website or Hulu and they're shows are much higher in the ratings ie. Two and half Men. Please talk to Josh Schartz and have them pull "Chuck" from the NBC site and Hulu and watch the ratings increase.

May 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |