May 25th, 2010

Tom Cruise always wanted to be a father

Ever since he was a kid, Tom Cruise has known that he wanted to be a father.

“I always loved kids, but it was more than that,” the actor said in the June/July issue of Esquire magazine. “It was this thought: What would it be like, being a father? Being the kind of guy who takes care of things?”

Because, you see, Cruise is big on being the fixer. After his parents separated – his father was an electrical engineer who didn’t support the family “financially or spiritually” after the split, leaving Cruise to live “with the effects of that chaos” – a younger Tom sought ways to help out his mother, who would at times have three jobs.

What he does recall of his relationship with his father are the little things, he said, like “The time he told you he’d take you to a ball game and we didn’t go.” As a result, the 47-year-old found himself promising his first child, Bella (whom he adopted while married to Nicole Kidman), that he'd never “say I’m gonna do something and then not do it.”

The same goes for his son Connor (also adopted while he was married to Kidman), and his daughter with Katie Holmes, Suri. “If I say I’m gonna take your call anytime you need me, and I’m in the middle of something on set, my world is gonna stop for you. I made that promise to all of my kids…I know I’ve accomplished that. When I think of my successes, it’s right up there.”

When it comes to his success as an actor, Cruise has taken a few hits for the past few years, with some of the rumors sparked by that couch-jumping incident on “Oprah.”

“What happened, happened…I’ll take responsibility for my actions,” he said. “The thing is, it got spun out. Afterward, wild things were being said about me, and once they’re in the ether, there’s nothing you can do about it. It’s like being the new kid on the schoolyard again and all the kids are whispering and whispering about you and suddenly you hear what they’re saying, and you think, ‘what? That didn’t happen.’ ”

How does one rebound from that? Well, there’s always the option to be cynical and dwell on what didn’t work, or you can figure out how to fix it, Cruise said. Which, he added, “is what being a parent is all about. You know, I’m married to such a special woman. Every night before we go to sleep, Kate and I look at each other like, ‘How’d we do today?’ You hope you were more right than you were wrong. But you just want to feel like you gave it your all.”

In order to move forward, “You just get back to work,” Cruise said. "That’s what I did. And here we are today. ‘Mission Impossible IV.’ ”

Post by: ,
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Tom Cruise

1. Wallace Servedio

Hello folks, I was just checking out this blog and I really admire the foundation of the post, teriffic work.

July 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Astrogirl

Actually, jumping on Oprah's couch wasn't the only stupid thing he did. He opened his mouth and put his big, fat foot in it with his appearance on Today with Matt Lauer about Psychiatry and Post-Partum Depression with Brooke Shields. I am not saying he shouldn't have an opinion, but at the very least be considerate. Although he did apologize, which was the right thing to do. So he laid low for awhile and let the dust settle, and so far so good because people are forgetting. Hopefully now that he has a bit more maturity under his belt, things will go better for him.

May 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. whome

This is news? yawwwn must be a slow day at the marquee lol

May 26, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jamie Lee

Don't you love reading comments on these sites as if these lucky stiffs actually know and hang with the celebrity they are currently criticizing to shreds (as if their pitiful lives were of any interest of anyone)? As for me, Tom Cruise is still gorgeous, and I remain entertaiined by his films, which is more than I can say for Jim Carrey, Jennifer Anniston, Jennifer Lopez, Adam Sandler, Kate Hudson, anyone below thirty, Jay Leno,or anyone who has had a comedy sit-com on t.v. in the last 15 years, etc. Begone with you!

May 26, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. nIKI

He should come clean on why Connor looks exactly like him. He cheated with a black girl and Connor was the result of it

May 26, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ugh

I just wish he'd explain what happened with him and Nicole Kidman. I want the juicy deets.

May 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. alumette

I really don't think jumping on the couch was a big deal. I thought it was cute. He was in love and that causes people to do silly stuff. It got way out of proportion. Come on people !

May 25, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. let's be real

It must've also been his dream to go on Oprah, jump on a couch, and proclaim his love for someone.

May 25, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lisa

This is news? That a grown man with kids always wanted to be a dad? If I'm mistaken most boys grow up to become fathers, and most of them thought about being fathers when they were boys. Same for girls and motherhood. With all that's going on in the world, including the world of performing arts, how the heck does this rate as news?

May 25, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

It's a simple equation, really. Marquee articles are never usually what you (yes I am talking about you) would consider "newsworthy" but it actually is... If you were to ask me if it mattered in the big picture... well of course not.

May 25, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Charlotte Kaminski

People in entertainment sure take a beating, including Tom Cruise. Give the guy a break, he is a good actor, a good
    father, and not perfect. Who cares about what he has done in the past. Leave it in the past and move on. The couch deal isn't anything. People need to spend their time on something worthwhile like doing something about oil spills, Wall Street deception, or helping those in need. I wish I could meet someone, be as estatic as he was about Katie, except a male, and be a keeper. Good luck Tom

May 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Boof

He must have a movie coming out. You only hear from these people when they have to promote something.

May 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. VICKI

BY INSEMINATION THAT IS HOW HE CAN BECAME A FATHER. TOM C IS A MORON, HE SURE LOOKS GAY TO ME. I BET HE PAID GOOD MONEY FOR INSEMINATION FOR THAT LITLE GIRL THAT KATE H HAS IT. SHE IS INTEREST IN OLD TOM LIKE NOTHING. SHE HAS PROBABLY A HANDSOME "MAN" ON THE SIDE. TC IS A MORON!

May 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • someone who is gay

@ Vicki... Are you A MORON?! WHat in the hell does being gay have to do with it ? go back to the 1950s pre civil rights era you bigot.

May 25, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JH

He's a great actor no matter what he does in private. Since I'm not apt to socialize with him or his family, who cares?

Homojoes are everywhere – such a shame in this day and age to go after someone for their sexual preference.

May 25, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lauratj

DUH !!!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Laura

Debbie, people were insisting he was gay LONG before he jumped on Oprah's couch like a moron. I don't know if he is or he isn't, and I really don't care one way or another. I do find somehthing 'off' about him, but I'm guessing that's Scientology. So happy that Nicole ended up with Keith Urban. Now THERE'S a seriously hot dude! Love that man.

May 25, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. debbie

why do people keep insisting that just because a guy jumps on a couch because hes really happy, that he is gay???? come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look at the beautiful women he has been with, give him a break. If jumping on that couch is the worst thing tom cruise has done during his long career then give the guy a break!! He loves his wife, he loves his kids, he does great humanitarian and charity work, and ok he does love his faith WOW!!! what a horrible guy YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MadCityBabe

I admire ANY dude who will man-up for his kids.

Tom ROCKS!

May 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bill

like with everything, he talks of being a father as if only he can dream of it. i always knew one day i'd want to be able to tell time... and read...

May 25, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Shirley

It's ok Joe King, come on outta the closet. I won't judge you. ; )

May 25, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Shirley

Hey Joe King...you know what they say about the boys that call other guys gay dontcha?

May 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joe King

Tommy boy is so gay!

May 25, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Shirley

He is still hot, Who cares about jumping on a couch, never did understand why that was such a big deal, he was just happy for goodness sakes.
    People are so very quick to judge others without taking into account themselves and there own actions, which are probably far more perverse then being silly and jumping on Oprah's couch.
    Good luck to you Tom, and your family. I love your movies and always look forward to your performances as you clearly love your craft and always go all out to do it right.

May 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pam

If jumping on a couch on Oprahs show is the worst thing he does well I'd say he's done well. What is wrong with society that everything has to be picked on. Some people need new hobbies..... Wouldn't it be nice to see everyone as happy as the day Tom was on Oprah.....I'd love to see it. Here's to you Tom...You should be proud of yourself for making that promise to your children. They will benefit from it their whole lives.......Bravo Tom !!!

May 25, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. lois

Still has the looks and even though he does not win movie awards,
    most of them are at least entertaining. hope he stays around for a while longer.

May 25, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Bigbill427

He always wanted to be a idiot..

May 25, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. paula

Looks good, for how old now? All his antics haven't hurt his career any. Still a favorite.

May 25, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |