May 24th, 2010

Paula Abdul headed to CBS with reality dance competition

Simon Cowell isn’t the only one with big post–“Idol” plans: Paula Abdul is now on board with a talent competition tentatively titled “Got to Dance.”

Abdul will be an executive producer, creative partner and lead judge on the CBS show, according to a press release. On top of all that, Abdul “will also serve as coach, mentor and advocate for the contestants during the performances and elimination process,” the statement said.

Like Cowell’s "America's Got Talent," Abdul’s show is an American version of a British ratings champ, and, also like Cowell’s forthcoming reality talent competition “X Factor,” people of all ages can sign up to compete, either alone or in a group. The show is also open to all kinds of dancing, from ballroom to bhangra to breakdance, the statement said.

It’s interesting timing, since Cowell himself just told Oprah Winfrey in an interview Thursday that he knew the end of “Idol” wasn’t the end of Abdul.

“Paula is a survivor, she’s got great instincts,” Cowell said. “She’ll come back [out] on top, I’m convinced of that.”

CBS will announce the other judges, as well as information regarding auditions, at a later date. Info on the audition process will also be available on CBS.com.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Celebrities • Paula Abdul • television

1. Cisco Southern Cali

Thanks for any other fantastic article. Where else may anybody get that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the look for such information.

August 17, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. BIG JOHN

U GO PAULA!! I CAN'T WAIT 2 COME OUT 2 NYC AND SHOW U WHAT I GOT!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! ;-)

September 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kathy

@jr.
    Don't hate on Bree because she's writing for CNN and all you are able to do is work for Satan!

To the writer: It's fine to write about anything that's news, and this was news! Super writing! Keep it up!

July 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MERCY

Go Paula!we love you.........we can't wait your new show.......

May 27, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Brianna

Love Paula! "Straight Up" will always be my fave

May 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lydia

I say go for it! If it blows, I wont watch it.

May 25, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TV IS GARBAGE

I refuse to watch TV because of shows like "American Idol" or Spoiled Teenage Skank Birthday. I am aware of their existence. I will never pay for cable as long as these shows dominate. I pray for the day that people realize how pathetic it is to pay attention to the "lives" of others, just because their own life is so "boring". Thank God for the internet, books and Netflix.

May 25, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Christopher Dyson

I agree,there's wayyyyy too many 'reality' shows and retreads of old tv hits. CAN'T HOLLYWOOD PRODUCE SOMETHING ORIGINAL???? Is that too much to ask? It's not like there's a shortage of aspiring television writers... I love that one commentor's idea of a true reality show,following illegal immigrants around the country producing fake i.d.s,paperwork,etc. ... By the way,I love Paula and wish her well and all she does-miss seeing her on "Idol",but I understand it's good to leave a position still on top...

May 25, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. szz121

Paula has been known for her dancing skills, she's not a great singer so she shouldn't have been on Idol in the first place.

May 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jean Tyree

You Go Paula!!!!! :) Look forward to seeing it!

May 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. whaaa??

I thought the new dollar coin does have In God We Trust around the edge

May 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mikki

please enough of this bull crap! I constantly see everyone making up something new.Something else to spend some money something to make it BORING!!!!!!! How about something exciting and different for a change?!

May 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. stu

her show WILL be canceled w/in 6 episodes.
    american idol & danciin w/ "has been stars" gone by 2012.

May 25, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pippee

This is a ludacris idea! How dare they inflict another dance show on us! And I can just see Paula weeping like she did in Idol. Perhaps she should host a spunky cooking show – she could high kick between stirs! Anyone who likes this idea has no taste.

May 25, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ballz

id hit that

May 25, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  16. DJ Bob

Give me a break!! As much as I love and adore Paula Abdul and as much as I love and adore all types of dancing, I think we already have enough dance shows already on the air. Bring Paula back American Idol, where she belongs, and maybe the Idol ratings will go back up. The show just hasn't been the same since she left last year.

May 25, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  17. Just A Thought

@hannah1 – his comments have nothing to do with the events of 911! He is simply stateing the fact that the demise of our country is directly related to the Country's desire to remove God from everything; the very standard it was founded on!

May 25, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. hannah1

Old dude: " Who needs deported" is not a sentence. And last I looked, Paula is an American!
    How about you leave?

May 25, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. Old dude

Want another realty show? How about " Who needs deported" with Paula being first to go!

May 25, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  20. chuck d

FAIL

May 25, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  21. melissasroja

I wouldnt exactly call myself a "hater" but Im really wondering how many of these talent shows we need! Will I watch? Probably. Because of Paula? No. While I like her I do feel she is very random and Ive often wondered what the heck she was talking about! Ill watch because I enjoy the love/hate relationships I develope with the contestants. That being said good luck Paula. This show just might survive since Idol clearly wont be the same without Simon. I give it 1 season before its off the air.

May 25, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  22. hannah1

Phil: PS-who was blessing the people in NYC on 9-11?

May 25, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. hannah1

Phil: No one cares! What do your creepy, self-aggrandizing rantings have to do with Paula Abdul?

Paula, welcome back! We've missed you, and best of luck ;-)

May 25, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  24. your daddy

bgebgebgebgebeg

May 25, 2010 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. Phil

U.S.Government to Release NEW DOLLAR COINS...
    And you guessed it
    'IN GOD WE TRUST' IS GONE!!!
    If ever there was a reason to boycott something, THIS IS IT!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE

I'd rather have 100 pennies!!!! God Bless America!!!! I served 25 damn good yeras in the Navy for Her!!!! and survived with God's blessings!!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  26. Phil

Way ta go Paula! Mwwuuuuahh!

May 25, 2010 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  27. Paula

PaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaulaPaula
    PAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAUALAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULA
    PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

May 25, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  28. Fred

I think we need a Reality show where we get to vote off a Reality Show until there is only one left.

May 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. John

Paula is OK. Why some people want to dis her is puzzling. She's just trying to make a living like everybody else. I hope her show is a success.

May 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Pam

Is this a copy of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?

May 24, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mike

I smell a bomb-a comin' on

May 24, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Chase

It 'll be great to see paula back on TV.

May 24, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. TonyInLargo

Good for her.

May 24, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Guest

Her advice: Now these drugs are really nice. You don't get all loopy. If you want to be a little loopy then these little pills are really nice.

May 24, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. ohn

cbs why did you do this ? you can pick up law and order from nbc mr dick wolf is looking for a network for his show ,so cbs do not go down the same road as nbc

May 24, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sheila L.

Paula looks like a man with awig on in this picture, not very flattering!

May 24, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  37. MORNINGWOODY

Ms. Paula just needs to GO AWAY. Paula, don't go away mad, just go away. Me and zillions of others just can not stomach another mere moment.

May 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Chuckster

Whats with the fasination of Paula Abdul, or do we need to keep her employed???? Is she really a talent?????

May 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dave in Louisiana

Why is this even a news story? Dumb.

May 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Caesarsgirl79

Congrats to Paula. I am a big Paula fan and I will be watching. I haven't watched Idol since Paula left.

May 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Lori

They should star her in a remake of celebrity rehad for prescription drug abusers. She would know first hand about that.

May 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Bobbie

Not another Reality Show!!!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  43. moon627

..+***+.....+***+.....+***+.....+***+.....+***+.....+***+.....+***+.....+***+...+***+

I think Paula will do better as a dance judge than a singer judge so i will watch initially – lets just hope she doesnt dumb it down with her comments – and lets hope the contestants are worth watching.

My favorite show has been SYTYCD with its seriously talented dancers and i hope i still like it with the new changes they're making because i do not like DWTS and all its sillyness.

May 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jim Finn

It's very pathetic that people are so into these shows. Read a book instead!

May 24, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Hal Rose

That's great! I am so happy for her. I don't think AI was the same after she left! Kara & Ellen can never replace her. Hopefully, she will hook up again with Cowell. They have a great chemistry together!

May 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Argwings

People with no talent criticize all other's talents.
    Go Paula, it’s your talent

May 24, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jose Ramirez

Is gonna be another flab.. who is going to watch?

May 24, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. mainehunter

U.S.Government to Release NEW DOLLAR COINS...
    And you guessed it
    'IN GOD WE TRUST' IS GONE!!!
    If ever there was a reason to boycott something, THIS IS IT!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE

Together we can force them out of circulation..

It has begun...Refuse new coins!

True Americans will refuse these
    It has begun...Refuse new coins!

REFUSE NEW COINS
    This simple action will make a strong statement.

Please help do this..Refuse to accept these when they are handed to you. I received one from the Post Office as change and I asked for a dollar bill instead.
    l.
    Please help out..our world is in enough trouble without this too!!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Alex Santana

I am at a total loss to see why this talent-less hack, Paula Abdul gets such attention and now another reality show, designed specifically for those with an IQ less than 100. She has no talent, is not even pretty, unless one thinks camels are good looking, and is not worth the effort to worry about. Our value system in this country is so whacked out, no wonder our kids are idiots..we don't need another "reality show". It is just cheap for the nets to produce and they garner big ratings because many of their viewers just don't know how to change channels since the remote confuses them.

May 24, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  50. lisa

Just what we need- Another dance show! Perfect for Paula and people who care, but honestly- I am reading more books lately because I have to shut the TV off, it's too annoying. When these shows and their "results" are more important news than our current situation in a WAR and dealing with a massive oil spill, and pedophiles and murders along our borders..really...what is reality?? Not any of these shows!

May 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  51. mimz

Wonder if she'll be drunk on this show as well??

May 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Joe

Dancing, she knows.
    Singing, not so much.

May 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. mike

My complaint is why are we recycling British reality shows? Are we Americans creatively tapped out? Can we not come up with something not copied from another country? I'm sick of it ... Network TV is too saturated with reality tv. Reality TV is the reason networks and viewers can't invest time and patience in quality scripted television, and why good solid shows that could be potentially great are cancelled prematurely.

But whatever for Paula. I give it less than one season before she's pulling some antics and the show gets pulled.

May 24, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  54. ginger

Good lord, reality shows have smothered the networks and frankly, I'm sick of them! So many of them are just plain stupid and show people's ignorance. Let's get back to some REAL acting. I can't believe I even have to pay (cable) to watch such trash! (Don't EVEN get me started on the price of cable!)

May 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Bull

Should take about 10 minutes for her to pull her back out. Or twist an ankle.She looks good for her age.But she can't get away with acting 20
    years old for too long.

May 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Marg

and who cares what Paula does. daffy dame.

May 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Walter

My initial thoughts when I found out Paula was going to be judging a vocal contest were less than favorable. Abdul may be a lot of things but a great vocalist she's not-despite that being what put her in the spotlight. That being said, there is little doubt that Abdul had, and I suspect still has, remarkable dancing abilities. She was successful on Idol despite her limited vocal range; and I suspect she will be very successful in a forum that she excels.

May 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  58. jimbo

Terrible, I was glad when she left idol, how embarassing. She says the same thing over and over. Paula Abdulla Oblongotta

May 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  59. ImaLindatoo

Way to go! Good for Paula.

May 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  60. anonymous

yea... so what? will this out-do "so you think you can dance" or "dancing with the stars?" NOPE! cbs... too late in the game.

what they need is a reality show on how illegal immigrants con the american system. follow these illegals on the street...

1. producing fake social security cards while knowingly and willingly steal from innocent american citizens
    2. driving without a driver's license and insurance while knowingly and willingly cause harm to the general public.
    3. producing fake id cards
    4. producing fake workers compensation claims
    5. sending money to mexico
    6. not paying taxes and working under the table
    7. getting pregnant like a damn dog pushing out babies after babies that they know they couldn't afford to care for
    8. drug smuggling
    9. producing fake products in an attempt to deceive the general public
    10. illegal housing projects
    11. illegal mortgage scams
    12. illegal marketing scams
    13. illegal sales of goods and services which are ban in the us

hmmmm... shall i say more?

May 24, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  61. cynthiajean

I'm not a big fan of Paula Abdul. She seems like a nice enough person, but when she was a judge on American Idol, I would cringe everytime it was her turn to speak. She could hardly get the words out, and was too emotional to judge. Plus she seemed too spacey alot of the time. So I don't think I'll tune in to see her on another show.

May 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Todd

I would knock the dust of that puddy...

May 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Lubiana

@Just a Drummer "Dancing with the Stores"? Sounds like a shopping spree! ;)

May 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Steve

Sister? Paula is black? Damn!

May 24, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  65. lynn G. - montreal, canada

would be enthralled if they came up with a realty show involving poets . No, not roses are red.............................

May 24, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Lubiana

I'm glad to hear it! I will check out her new show.

May 24, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Alan

They already have 2 dance shows on television, what make them think we need a 3rd? Dumb idea and a rip-off of what's already being done.

May 24, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Just a Drummer

@deb – After the the Jay Leno debacle, NBC is going back to dramas in the 10pm (e) time slot. Maybe that'll help ya out.

May 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  69. deb

I'm getting tired of all the same old reality shows too. I wish they'd get back to some good dramas (I like Parenthood and Brothers and Sisters). Whatever...

May 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jeanie

Way to go, Paula! I loved you on Idol. Haven't watched it since you left.
    You are a great dancer. Your singing and dance act on Idol was smoking!

May 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  71. geniusman

Paula Abdul is weird and my family and i never liked her on idol. She claps like a walrus, it always seems like she's on a few too many prescription drugs, she was never tough enough on the contestants nor critical enough (i.e. you're special, you're awesome, you're great no matter what, blah, blah, blah) and she ALWAYS repeated the other judges. She never had anything original to say. I hope this new show goes down in flames. Besides, we already have a show where anybody of any age can perform any kind of dance: it's called America's Got Talent. We don't need a copycat.

May 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  72. saywha

ewwww.. lady gaga can sing, but dang... she is ugly.. and i heard that dude was a man.. xD

May 24, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Just a Drummer

So You Think You Can Dance shouldn't be lumped in with shows like America's got Talent or "reality shows". The first few weeks of comic fodder notwithstanding, it is a wonderful forum for truly accomplished dancers to demonstrate their craft. If you appreciate artists who have talent and have worked their tails off for their chance at a career in dance, then you'll love it.

Too bad Paula's gonna dilute the audience for dance more than Dancing With The Stores already does.

Skip the city auditions if you don't like the goofball wannabe's, but give SYTYCD a chance. It buries all the other singing/dancing shows.

May 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  74. alex

I agree with barney

May 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Lola Jordan

I won't be watching, but who cares if I watch? You go Paula

May 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  76. saywha

cool story bro..

May 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  77. teeheehee

RuPaul 2012!!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  78. trudy

bring Paula back to American Idol .i miss her on that Show .

May 24, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Barney

I think Lady Gaga is hot.

May 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Simon Cowell is a show maker and Paula was like his side-kick and America Idol is not the same, won't be watching anymore. I'll give Paula a few views, but she better be good. Dancing with the stars is going sour along with the Bachelor/lorrett show, won't be watching it anymore.

May 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  81. jadkins17

I LOVE HATERS!!! Some of you people are just hilarious/jealous. Call the shows what you want, don't watch them even... but don't make a post for the world to see that makes you look stupid. Not matter what anyone says, reality TV is going to be around for many many years... and they will continue to try new ideas... and continue to make MILLIONS!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  82. warren smith

no haters allow
    give a sister a break
    she is only makling a living

May 24, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  83. James

@jr

Interesting. You comment on this like you don't care...

but you still clicked the link to see the story. If you don't care for these stories, then go somewhere else.

May 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  84. JCP

This is a great forum for people to explore their aspiration/dreams. There are so many "if I would have, wish I would have, and I can's" hidden dreams that most likely go unnoticed. True reality or not, here is a stage that allows anyone to put it all on the line. And, who knows maybe someone with an eye for talent will notice. At least these people are taking a risk. What about all of those who do nothing but sit on the sidelines and critisize? If you are that good, why not put your skills to test and be a judge????

May 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. krubby

while I hope paula does great I fin d myself thinking there are already a couple of dance shows on – so you think you can dance and dancing with the stars. I wonder how this will be different, especially obviously from the 1st one.

maybe it is the addition of the mentoring/coaching element?

I would love to see paula back on a show but I would also like to see something new besides another dance show, but I guess there are only so many ideas you can do.

May 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  86. frank

Im just wondering, when are they going to get this draged out silly stupid show of the air.

May 24, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  87. brm

I am so sick and tired of these so called reality shows. If it was true reality the contestants would never be as good as they are. It is a true joke and I never watch them. there are more people like me and the list is growing each day.

May 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Leslie

Obviously you did, since you took the time to read it and post.

May 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  89. LPW

This is great news. I hope the show is a success.

May 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |