May 24th, 2010

'Miss America' to return to ABC

There she is, that’s Miss America – on ABC.

The pageant is returning to the network under a three year deal, Variety reports.

ABC had dropped the live broadcast of the competition back in 2005 due to low ratings. The show then moved to the CMT network before finding a home on TLC.

NBC had carried the Miss America pageant for three decades prior to 1997 when that network struck a deal with Donald Trump to run the rival Miss USA pageant.

Filed under: television

1. Bonny

I am happy that ABC brings back this American Tradition.
    I miss this show because I use to take my kids to see the Miss
    American Parade on the Broadwalk. I like to watch the show and
    I enjoy the excitements. To me Miss American is a tradition like
    the classic CocaCola which when it was changed into new Coke
    no body want it.. I do miss the show when it was gone. Thank
    you ABC for bringing this tradition back. God Bless American

May 25, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. PS

To Sherri: Wow, I did not even know that these two pageants were different. No wonder I was baffled by how far the recent pageant (which I now know is the Miss USA) has fallen in terms of reputation of participants etc. If Miss America is better, that's good. Thanks for clearing!

May 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Odalice Feliz

How I love Miss America, the girls all look so clean and they wear the most stunning garments that show America has talent!!!!! they are all so pretty and tall, I wonder why they had low ratings? I guess America is more interested in food and shopping....jejeje!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. kathrynmorton

Yes, you can compete in both- they are not related in any way. In fact, many girls do compete in both, including the current Miss USA- Rima Fakih. She competed in the Miss America Organization.
    Miss America actually was started in Atlantic City to elongate the tourism season, but has developed into the nation's largest scholarship organization for women.
    When a Miss America refused to pose for Miss America's then swimsuit sponsor, a new pageant- Miss USA was born.

May 25, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. Now I know

I am glad to have read some of these comments. I used to not understand the differences between Miss USA and Miss America. I have one question though. Can any participants; even the winner or runner up, from Miss USA compete in Miss America or vi versa?

May 25, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. abc

Miss USA exists long before Donald Trump's involvement in 1997. Miss Universe and Miss USA go back to the 50s I think. Donald Trump only bought the organization and took over in 1997

May 25, 2010 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sherri

To PS: I think you are confusing the Miss USA pageant with Miss America. It is Miss USA that has all the scandels. Miss America is not the beauty pageant, it is the scholarship Program where 45 million in scholarships is granted at the local, state and national level every year. Glad to see them back on ABC!

May 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ruffnutt

everyone knows the women are just as smart as forrest gump. but its fun to watch them. the should have a cooking and cleaning portion as part of the contest, i gaurentee you not one of them could change a flat tire on a car.

May 24, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fred

Hoooray – Yet another evening of watching BIMBOS ON PARADE! TV is without a doubt at its all time best!

May 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Helen8640

Lots of ignorance in the comments here...the Miss America Organization is the largest provider of scholarships to women in the WORLD. These women go through a rigorous process to be selected that involves a heck of a lot more than how they look. Some of these women go on to hold high profile positions, but even more of them go on to be doctors, lawyers, etc. Explain to me how that is unworthy?

May 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. let's be real

Ken, not all of them have man-made breasts... some hardly have any if you haven't noticed...

They should've banned you from commenting, or better yet maybe you should take this opportunity to NOT watch the show.

May 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ken

Who cares, all the women have man-made breasts and there is
    no natural beauty there. They should ban all women with man-
    made breasts.

May 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sam

Miss USA is owned by Donald Trump, who also owns the Miss Universe pageant. The Miss USA winner competes in Miss Universe.

Miss America came long before Donald Trump, but is really an afterthought these days.

May 24, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John Doe

What is the difference between Miss America and Miss USA pageant?

May 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. PS

For all its hype about promoting young and worthy women, it is strange that these women prove themselves unworthy so soon after the results are announced! They all somehow know how to pout, how to strut and project a very cheap image of themselves at such a young age. Many have already participated in erotic degrading display of their bodies before they reach the age of 18. There is not an ounce of innocence in their behaviors. Why not make it a purely intellectual contest? That is the way to boost one's confidence and ego. Young women in other countries like India and China have pageants which display both beauty and brains.

May 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Geri Webb

Who cares. Not sure of is being judged; certainly not beauty!...

May 24, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. curt monk

Excellent! Miss Amercia is a wonderful and worthy program in many ways. I'm glad to see it partner with a strong national network again! Some many young ladies have benefited fromthe scholarships awarded by Miss America, and now the Children's Miracle Network will get that much more exposure from a national platform!! Winners all around!!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |