May 24th, 2010

Did you feel 'Lost' in commercials last night?

Those advertisements during the "Lost" series finale on Sunday night didn't come cheap. According to Ad Age, they went for $900,000 a pop.

There was certainly a lot of them too: the episode clocked in at one hour and 45 minutes, which meant there were 45 minutes of various commercials and promos.

Target took advantage of the moment with various ads featuring the smoke monster, the Swan station and more, cementing the event as the "Geek Super Bowl."

Reaction to Target's ads seemed mostly positive on Twitter, though film critic Richard Roeper tweeted his dislike of them, calling them "cheap."

What did you think of all the ads, themed or otherwise?

1. T Mobile Girl

Wish I had found this place sooner, as I'm really enjoying it!

April 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. It's me

It cracks me up when people post that they never watched the show (jealous) or they didn't understand it (stupid), or thought the finale was bad (clueless). It must suck to be them because I thought Lost was a great 6 year joy ride. Too bad some people can't let go of their serious reality and enjoy solid entertainment for what it is. Oh, and as for the commercials? I watched Lost via torrent and all commercials were edited out. Or try Hulu.com. The commercials there were short and and few.

And the answer for the dimwitted dude who keeps asking about "why Hurley [the fat guy] is still fat"? Watch the show and you'll understand. He had access to Dharma food stocks. But that's all I'm going to say because clearly you have been skipping episodes – and that takes away your right to complain or ask stupid questions.

May 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JasonR

I thought the Target commercials were great. I hate having commercials at all, but they are necessary and at least Target made theirs with an element of the show in them. They at least made the effort to connect the commercial with the show.

May 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sven

You see, DVR is what makes Target's commercials brilliant. I hate commercials like the rest of you, but I can't count how many times I stopped fast forwarding through the commercials because I thought it was the show when, in fact, it was a damn Target commercial. I give them credit for knowing what they're doing.

May 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steve-O

Ads? Hadn't really noticed since I simply FFW'd thru them on the good ol' PVR.

May 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John R. Fultz

There were FAR too many commercials. 45 minutes???!!!!???

That is RIDICULOUS. It's blatant exploitation of the viewership. They made a big announcement that the finale was expanded to 2.5 hours–but they didnt' tell us that was because they bought AN EXTRA HALF-HOUR OF COMMERCIALS!

I cannot accurately describe the sheer annoyance and fatigue I experienced while watching this episode. The commercials were a HUGE and CONSTANT distraction that came very close to ruining the entire finale. Shameless, Fox. Utterly Shameless.

And the finale sucked, anyway.

May 25, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jonds

I have never seen the show and don't watch commercials either, I just don't know how the companies make money back on them.

May 25, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

I detest all forms of advertising. DVR'd it and skipped every second of that nonsense.

May 25, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. D

I hate all the commercials!!

May 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff F., Shaker Heights, OH

The commercials themselves weren't bad; there were just too damn many of them. Let's have more show and less interruptions. I realize that commercials pay for the shows to be on the air, but the number of commercials and the amount of time they eat up has gotten out of control. I agree with Carol; I'm looking forward to Season 6 on DVD so that I can re-watch it without all the frigging commercials!

May 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Richard

I take great pride in the fact that I have never watched an episode of Lost. Now I know why.

May 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Carol

I thought the amount of commercials was ridiculous and it actually made me very angry. It took so much away from the show. I was fighting to stay awake anyway and the show could have been over in half the time. It makes me mad that the fact that they knew so many people would be watching prompted them to put in so many ads. Why not play the commercials every half hour and allow the show to tell it's story. I plan to watch the show again on abc.com just so I can watch it uninterrupted. And to answer some earlier posts, not everyone has DVR. Ironically, in the past, I have loved that LOST usually doesn't cram a lot of commercials in key parts of the show, but allows the story to run to a reasonable break.

May 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joel

Commercials have gone WAY over the top as far as pure volume is concerned. Folks these days have way more choice as far as where they get their media/shows from. Broadcasters should get with the times, show far less commercials and charge way more for each. People are much more likely to watch one commercial per break than 10. I wouldn't even bother dvr-ing if there was the same number of breaks, but only one regular length commercial per break.

May 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeremy

There were far, far, too may commercial's during LOST. Thank goodness I didn't start watching until this season (I got Season's 1-5 on Blue Ray for Christmas) I never would have liked this show (or gotten into it) on network TV.

May 25, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe23

If the producers went through all the trouble of extending the episode, why fill it with commercials? I would have much rather watched more of the story. It seemed like whenever the momentum started to build, another commercial to break the mood. I understand the allure of the marketing aspects but still, the amount of commercial breaks was ridiculous.

May 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sammysushi

ALWAYS too many commercials when watching Lost and very annoying during the finale to have so many.

May 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ellis island

Commercials? i started watching the show an hour late (DVR) and skipped right through those irritating and intrusive messages. i was too lost in LOST to waste my time being sidetracked.

May 25, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. bob6699

Advertisers should just show their product on a screen for 30 seconds in huge letters. That way, the DVR users would still see the message as they fast forward. I'm sure that will be the future of advertising.

May 25, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jess

Never watched the show and don't plan on watching any reruns. I am GLAD it is over and done with.

May 25, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. Slidaboab

ABC, CBS, NBC, etc., are still free, I don't understand how so many can complain about commercial ads. Lost was produced in Hawaii, outdoors, with no soundstages. They spent 12 million filming the pilot. Somehow all of that had to be paid for, and we as an audience got to see it free of charge. I think 17 minutes of commercial time is allowed for every hour, so Lost seemed to have no more ads than usual. HBO and other premium cable shows can afford to come to us commercial free (except for their own promotional ads) because we pay a hefty premium. I loved the show, all 6 years of it. The ads are distracting for sure, but I am grateful that at least one show on FREE TV produced a first-rate product.

May 25, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  21. crooked

listen to what I have to say about this due to my opinion's importance: i only watched the show in order to view the commercials. so i thought it was the best show ever due to the sheer amount of commercials which i love. the show itself was mediocre at best.

May 25, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  22. RichP, easton, pa

Gotta pay those milti million dollar salaries to those idiot entertainers. I will wait till it comes out on dvd then watch it.

May 25, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  23. Isaiah

I thought the Target commercials were great and really taped into the mythology of the show. They were funny and not pandering. I saw the Roeper tweet. I replied back that he was wrong. What was cheap was here in Chicago the local ABC affiliate was doing some lame "Us too!" story about some "Lost" flight from Chicago to KC that crashed back in the 70s. THAT was lame.

May 25, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  24. jared

Bit Torrent.

May 25, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  25. wesaday

It's really easy to tell where the network "added" a half hour to the show. 45 minutes of commercials? That is totally ridiculous. I could really tell that I was fast forwarding through a ton of crap content....

May 25, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  26. Gary

Boycott TV commercials! They're an insult to your intelligence. Hit the mute button, change the channel, fast-forward, do anything but watch that "creativity" from all those geniuses-in-their-own-minds who litter the advertising business.

May 25, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  27. Josh

Hum... 45 minutes of commercials during a single TV episode.

I sure hope there are lots of outtakes to fill in all that time on the DVD.

May 25, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  28. Craig V

The Target ads were hilarious. The one for the keyboard took the cake for me.

May 25, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. Neener

I have a DVR but when my fave show is coming on, I want it NOW :) It was terribly annoying, the amount of commercials that were near the end of hour 2. At least they gave us longer segments near the climax. The Target commercials? I have mixed feelings. They concepts were cute (keyboard $23!) but it seemed tacky as well. "Let's jump on this popular thing and made some money!" I am not running to Target as a result of those ads.

Loved the little messages being read. That was cute. And not an ad.

May 25, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  30. JenniferQ

I have an amazing button on my remote. It's the mute button.

May 25, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. akita96th

That is why regular TV is doomed.. now days you can watch tv shows on the interent without all the crappy commericials corporate america has shoved down our throat to advertise all these made in mexico goods..you pay for cable tv and all you get are constant commercials and self promoting soundbites it tires my senses to sit thru a 30 min show on tv I quit doing it it made my blood pressure go up all the time and makes me wonder who these idiots are that schedule all these adds do they really think people actually sits and watch the same old commercials over and over...what morons....me I hit the mute or channel surfed but now I canceled my cable im strictly and internet viewer now I have more control over what I watch and when I watch.
    Wake up america say no to american comercial tv.

May 25, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  32. Brian Thomas

CNN Larry King Live show beats all media for its intrusive commercial and station advertising. 'Lost' was mild in comparison...

May 25, 2010 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  33. John

Watched to show Monday. Skipped the ads. I thought it was cleaver the writers turned the last episode into a funeral for the show. Throw some dirt on it. We have closure. Time to move on. Goodbye Walt. Goodbye Michael. Goodbye Mr. Eko. Goodbye forgotten couple with diamonds who were buried alive after being bitten by spiders. Goodbye all you 'others' who went down the memory hole.

May 25, 2010 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jesse

I cant even watch the old style of television. I can`t stand commercials, by the time I am reinvested back into the show, another commercial is on. Somebody will record it in HD, edit the all the commercials then put it online. So to all of you that do that, lotta love. Network T.V. is gong the way of the dinosaur. 10 years ago I would watch on an average 15 – 20 hrs a week, now 0.

May 25, 2010 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  35. brian

i hate commecials as much as the next guy... but instead of hitting the pause button every five minutes to think and talk about LOST to my wife... when the commercials came on i hit the mute button and it gave us a chance to try and figure out what was happening with the show.....

May 25, 2010 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  36. Rae

Ads are useless in the age of DVRs. I can't believe companies are still willing to shell out so much money for them.

May 25, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  37. Guy B

So to the TV people who run things, I would say network TV dies in less than 5 years, (makes a note to sell all my shares). I quit watching network TV long ago, I buy the CD set of something I like and watch the shows when I want to, no logos and promos for really bad TV shows taking up all the screen (CW your the worst), no commericals studios take note add commericals to those and I so stop buying those.
    I have no problem with the idea of paying for a show to watch it, as long as there are no commericals everybody makes some money and all is well, if only there was a show worth paying for....

May 25, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  38. SC Vandy

I don't care how "creative" the Target ads were, there were way too many. Oh, for the good old days of STAR TREK, when an hour show ran 52 minutes, and TWILIGHT ZONE, when a half-hour show clocked in at 25-26 mins. AND, we were treated to 26 to 30 original episodes a year, not 16. The networks got greedy and shoved these ungodly number of add'l minutes down our throats. Today, just figure that for every two minutes you invest in a show, you have to give back by watching (or skipping) one minute of ads/promos. The networks have driven the writers and directors of dramas crazy by eliminating the industry standard, four act structure (with acts running 11 to 15 mins.) for a slipshod seven "act" structure wherein the running time of the commercial breaks often excedes that of the acts. Even watching LOST or its like ad free via DVR or DVD can get annoying because of the abbreviated structure. ABC should have done the "classy thing" and secured sponsors who would pay more for fewer spots in this prestigious send-off to a TV classic.

May 25, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  39. jonthes

It reminded me of "Sordid Lives" on Logo, so many ads it broke completely the mood of the material. I always watched "Lost" sporadically and then get the DVD set where I can see it in widescreen and without the constant interruptions. On their own terms the Target ads were funny, but completely inappropriate for the material. I wonder if maybe companies would do better by announcing they had bought time at the beginning but not interrupt the show, I won't buy anything from a company whose ad I recognized last night. I suspect that the 'fool rate' on viewers gets lower every year, and younger. Ads backfire for me.

May 24, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Stan

After going years without watching Lost, my wife talked me into the finale. All I can say is thank god for my remote control. There were so many commercials that it seemed that for every two minutes of Lost, get ready for two-five minutes of commercial. I grew so tired of this that at the first hint of a commercial break, I hit the remote to watch an old movie. Anything but those darn incessant commercials! And, the ones I saw after flipping back to ABC were not even funny or clever! I feel I have been used and abused by ABC and their advertising sales force!

Stan

May 24, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ron

I was lost when I first saw this series. Not worth it.

May 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Kim

Good thing I recorded it so I could skip the commercials and promos !! It's the only way to watch it.

May 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Dale

The ever-increasing ad content was one of the primary reasons why I threw my TV away 7 years ago. The others were all the empty talking heads and breathless clueless news reporters. Don't miss it one bit.

May 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. beechew

I thought the Target ads were great! I DVR'd the finale and started 20 min. in so I could FF through all the commercials. But, ended up going back to watch the Target ads when I saw all the buzz on Facebook. If you're going to have an ad – it's better to make it short, sweet and smart. That'll win MY respect and attention. The smoke monster/detector ad might've been my favorite.

May 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Marilyn Lawrence

There are way too many ads on these days anyway but I loved the Target ads, especially with the smoke monster.

May 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. DavidinHZ

I forget who said this originally, but TV programs are delivery devices for commercials just like cigarettes are delivery devices for nicotine. TV is not there to entertain you. It's there to maintain a flock of passive, brainwashed consumers. So go, consumers, and consume.

May 24, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  47. PDXDeej

Didn't watch it but the amount of commercial time is about right...most hr long shows are actually 40 to 44 minutes long,...I hate commercials and DVR whenever possible.

May 24, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Rich Callahan Va Beach Va

I didn't see any commercials, I have TIVO....I can wait a little.
    Don't watch any commercials....

May 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  49. teresa

There were way too many commercials but when I stayed to watch, they were funny! Especially the one with the boar! Commercial time is the time you take a potty break, feed the dog, put clothes in the dryer, etc. People, you have to multiply-task. Lost was worth it.

May 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Theresa

Loved the commercials. Very creative way to say goodbye to a phenomenal series.

May 24, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Peter

It's the winning battles/losing wars analogy: They made lots of money last night but millions of us are done with TV now.

TV is too hard to watch with commercials now. We cut our cable/DTV entirely, watching internet programming on it only. I don't miss it at all.

May 24, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. CB

I can't believe the advertisers believe they are getting their money's worth. I know 6 folks that did the same thing I did... DVR it and start watching 1 hour later. Done at the same time show ends.

I think they are trying to make up for this by actually adding more commercials. Every 5 minutes of show they break for 4 minutes of commercials.
    Maddening. Thank goodness for DVR!

May 24, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Algernon

Ad nauseam

May 24, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  54. PT-ONE

We actually had to turn it off because of the commercials (so we could watch it on Tivo an hour later without them).

Turns out fully HALF of my friends have cut their cable entirely because commercials have destroyed the value proposition of TV. We're finally going to cut our cable this week.

May 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Evan

The spot for "Inception" looked pretty cool.

May 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. JenniPoohBear

A few commercials are okay. They give you time to get up, take a bathroom break, get a drink or some chips. But.....when you have time to do all of that AND run to the grocery store AND check your mail AND play with the dog before getting back to the next segment....yeah...that's just a little TOO many commercials and commercial time. ;)

May 24, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Shannon T Nutt

There are roughly 20 minutes of commericals for very 1 hour LOST episode, so getting 45 minutes of them for a 2 1/2 hour show was actually LESS than usual!

May 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Vern

THANK GOD FOR DVR's!!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. christianshepard

Small price to pay for 6 years of a fantastic show. ABC should be able to reap the benefits.

May 24, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

Target should place some ads before all of Obama's boring speeches, such as an ad for noise reduction headphones! Or the BBQ ad for all of his PORKULOUS!

May 24, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  61. TERRY

NO COMMERCIALS=NO SHOW

May 24, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  62. shortjohn

I stopped watching lost two years ago after counting over 150 commericals one night is a one hour show. Thats a little to much for a show that uses flash backs that doesnt cost anything.

May 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. LeS

I DVR'd the finale so I could skip through commercials and tried to stay up to watch JKL Aloha to Lost which I had started drifting off to sleep when it started. I remember the Target commercial but seriously thought I was dreaming.

May 24, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Marc

DVR Lost, then watch it. Problem solved.

May 24, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Drew

"I love hearing people complain about commercials and how many of them there are. Guess what? If those commercials didn't air, we'd all be paying a LOT more to enjoy shows like Lost and even the Nightly News, so deal with it and stop whining."

and

"And commercials allow you to watch the show for "free" (not counting the cost of your cable/sat provider)."

These people don't mention that people like me, who barely watch commercial TV, but still buy things in stores since we don't live off the land, are the ones paying those huge advertising fees!

People who say "Target" and etc… paid those huge fees, fail to realize ALL that cost is passed on to people who shop in their stores. Next the hard-hearts will say, "don't shop in Target then." But the fact is that nearly every corporation now spends insane (tax deductible too... another cost born by citizens) amounts of money on ads.

And I am sure, but don't know exactly how, that Target somehow passes the cost on to manufacturers, who then of course, pass it on to us.

May 24, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ralph

There were definitely too many commercials!

May 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. April

Recorded it and fast forwarded through all the commercials, it was a great ending!!

May 24, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Lostfan

Way to many commercials. That is why we recorded it..and started watching it an hour later, so we could skip past all the commercials. it makes the viewing far more enjoyable.

BTW..we actually timed the interruptions mid-show. Commercials started every 9 minutes and lasted for 3 minutes. Thus 3 minutes of commercials, 6 minutes of show, 3 minutes of commercials, etc.

So skip em all :-)

May 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Rhoades

I thought the Target adds were a great idea and really enjoyed watching them!!

May 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Dave

Who watches commercials? It's almost been 10 years of DVRing and no commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Randy

Fast forward? Yecch. When you have a real DVR i.e. ReplayTV like I do, you let the built in commercial skipper do the work.

May 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Mark

Target had some cute ads, but cheaply done. I think they could have done better.

May 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Meaghan

Even with the DVR the commercials were maddening at one point we were timing it - 6 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercial break, repeat incessantly. It did have a negative impact on my enjoyment of the final chapter. I would have had more respect for ABC if they would have selected a sponsor or two and shown the finale with "limited commercial interruption". But I guess I coudln't export more from a network who has turned Good Morning America into nothing but the promotional tool for all things Disney. Ordinarily, we would wait for the DVD to become available. But wanted to see the series ending as it unfolded. Won't do that again.

May 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  74. L. Jones

Way, way, way too many ads for my liking. I was tempted on more than one occasion to watch something else. The commercials didn't allow me to bond with the characters; it actually ruined the moment. As soon as it was getting good, they broke to a commercial, it was very irritating.

May 24, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Mark Linehan

Digital Video Recorder

Seriously now. Commercials?! Yeah, right...

May 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Robin

I was worried about finding out how it ended at work today, so I went against what I usually do and watched the show as it happened. I usually watch it on ABC.com on my iPad which only has 4 commercials which are short. There were way too many commercials during the finale. If they wanted that much money, then Target should have paid to be the ONLY advertiser and they should have done it with limited commercial interruption.

May 24, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Aurora

To the comment "If those commercials didn't air, we'd all be paying a LOT more to enjoy shows like Lost and even the Nightly News, so deal with it and stop whining." I SAY CHARGE ME! I pay for HBO and Showtime and love their uninterrupted series! I agree with many others, if ABC truly cared about their audience, find a big sponsor and show it with limited commercials. Lost fans where excited when it was announced we were getting an additional 30 minutes for finale. Shame on you ABC for your greed. Can't wait for the return of True Blood and Dexter and I will gladly pay my cable bill to enjoy them!

May 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  78. GBS

"There certainly was a lot of them . . ."

Oh dear. I weep for journalism. This is, however, only a blog.

May 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jessica

I love DVR, there are some shows i can sit through commercials (actually I flip around) and thats ok if I come back late and miss something, but for shows that i dont want to miss a thing...I just start late and skip through the commercials. I HEART DVR and I still subliminally get advertised, because you have to keep your eye on the screen so that you dont overshoot the show...and the logo's still pop up, so its a win win for everyone involved!

May 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Bobb

The Target commercials showed that the Ad Agency that works for Target knew how to keep the attention of the viewers, and deserves a bonus from Target for their ingenuity.. My wife backed up up our DVR to see them when I laughed out loud after seeing them for the first time. (She reads during commercial breaks.)

There were waaaayyy too many commercials as has been stated here time and time again. However IMNSHO, (and when it come to humility I'm the greatest!), the Target ads were the most enjoyable ones I have seen since the Cat Wrangling ad for EDS that aired during the Super Bowl years ago.

May 24, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Deanna

I loved the Target commericals too funny!!!! I loved the movie commericals too!!

May 24, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Bryan

Yea they wasted their money. I fast forwarded through everything.

May 24, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Kelly

I didn't – I have a DVR THANK GOD!!!

May 24, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  84. pincushion

extremely annoying...I'll not patronize any of the sponsors running the ads....and shame on ABC too

May 24, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Mark in Arkansas

I DVR-d it... going to watch it tonight without commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  86. M.R. in L.A.

45 minutes over 2 1/2 hours is no more commercials than you see in a typical half-hour sit-com (9 minutes). Plus – that's what DVRs are for – skipping the commercials – if you don't have a DVR...it's because you like watching commercials...stop complaining! There were no breaks in the last 20-25 minutes...they really let the big conclusion of it all play out uninterrupted. And after skipping them in the show and hearing about them later, I was able to go back and watch the Target commercials. They weren't great productions...but I appreciated that they got the spirit of the show and gave a nod that the night was a special night.

May 24, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Derek

I watch a lot of TV shows on DVDs. The run time per ep is usually 42 minutes. This leaves 18 min of commercial time every 1 hour. So basically they went exactly as they should – 45 min for 2hr 30min

May 24, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Bill Longpre

Commercials and more commercials. I totally was bored and ended up watching the tivo'd I did in case I was unable to watch live. cut off the commercials. :-)
    Bill :

May 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Scott

Yes, there were many ads but it was to be expected, wasn't it? Did everyone forget how they pay for the filming of these shows? If you were a stakeholder, you would also demand that the time slot be milked for evey last drop of cash. As others have said, get a DVR; it solves most of the commercial break issues.

The Target ads were excellent and very clever. They caused us to stop fast forwarding the DVR prematurely because we thought the show was back on. We laughed and continued on; then did the same for Jimmy Kimmel.

May 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Kate

A PVR works wonders. Yes you have to have patience to tape and THEN watch but yippee – NO COMMERCIALS!

May 24, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Bankerdude

That's why I use my DVR....No Commercials!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Dave G

I enjoy instant watch movies most of the time. Last night I watched "Lost" with my wife and the amount of adds reminded me why I don't watch network television. It seemed like every 8-11 minutes of show would translate to 4 minutes of adds. Wow, is that entertainment or what?

May 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Lolo

I thought the Target commercials were clever ... but overall there were waaaaay too many commercials. Toward the end of the episode, it seemed like some of the commercial breaks were longer than the snippits of LOST we got to view briefly in between!!

May 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Doug

My wife was complaining something fierce about the number of ads, as we usually DVR and skip the ads, but we were watching live this time. At one point, she had to get up an do something during, the show came back on and 5 minutes later she was able to come back and it went back to commercial. At that point we waited awhile, and went to the DVR and started skipping the commercials again. I would have much preferred long commercial breaks, but just a few of them.

Owell, it was much better just skipping all of them. Take that greedy ABC. I skipped almost all of your revenue channel.

May 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Don

So how much time was dedicated to the "final transmissions" from viewers? Was part of the show? or commercial time?

Also... the Target ads started out as cute... but quickly grew annoying. The last one was horrendous.

May 24, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Chris

All of you decrying the commercials probably love milk but hate the hormones that are injected into cows to create large amounts of it. TV shows don't materialize in front of you without a serious influx of cash. Advertisers have money. They want yours. You watch TV. TV shows need money.

Cue Elton John singing "The Circle of Life".

May 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  97. chuck d

What Commercials?, I dvr'd both the pre show and the Finale
    zipped thru them and didn't watch even one of them
    I Love my DVR

May 24, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Steve

Most episodes run 43-44 mins out of an hour slot. so 45 mins out of 2.5 hours is roughly the same percentage. why the shock about commercials now?

May 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Lost in Ads but still a fan

While I enjoyed the show the number of ads was very distracting and frustrating. While I do not remember most of them I will try not to patronize any of the ones I can remember like Target or ATT – I roughly clocked an ad every 7 – 9 minutes – way too much

May 24, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Sarcasmo

Too many ads? On commercial television? Wow, that is f***ing brilliant.

May 24, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  101. AMS in NJ

It doesn't matter to me anymore- Lost was the only ABC show I watched anyway. What else am I going to watch on that useless channel- Dancing With the Has-Beens? V? No way.

May 24, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Drew

This comes up EVERY TIME that a big show has a finale.

Pulled at random from iTunes...an episode of 30 Rock runs 21:13 sans commercials. An episode of Heroes runs 42:33.

If you figure that an average half-hour show has around 22 minutes of ACTUAL programming, and an hour-long show has roughly 42, the math works out that 2.5 hours of television would have around 106 minutes of programming, or 44 minutes of commercials.

This is no more or less than normal. You were just more attuned to it because it's a show that you felt passionately about.

May 24, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  103. jaime Greer

Lost what?

May 24, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  104. ChuckO

ABC should have run the finale with limited commercial breaks within the originally planned two-hour block. They could have selected one or two premium sponsors and charged top dollar for the privilege. Then they should have run the last 20 minutes commercial-free to build to the end. Instead they kept breaking the rhythm of the show through endless interruptions, often just minutes apart. It's a shame the old networks are so greedy, but it's the same with basic cable. Ultimately they will kill the golden goose as more viewers buy DVRs, wait for the DVDs (or whatever's next) or go online for their entertainment. Good riddance.

May 24, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Cathie

Far too many commercial interruptions. Period.

May 24, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  106. ...

They extended the show another 30 minutes for another 30 minutes worth of commercials. Sadly, in my eyes, the story suffered due to the constant context switching between LOST and commercials. There seemed to be 4 minutes of the show for every 3 minutes of commercials – unacceptable. If television stations wonder why people are DVR'ing everything and fast forwarding through the commercials, they can look no further for evidence.

May 24, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  107. VoiceofReason

What's Lost?

May 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  108. igottagetouttathisplace

why americans tolerate the endless, insipid bu–sh– t crammed down their throats hour after hour–year after year–in the name of free entertainment has always escaped me-the euros have it right and always have–they pay a small television tax and wish the commercial codswollop brigades a quick ,safe trip to hell

May 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Diana

The show was good BUT WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS, It was late enough and then have to wait through all those commercials??? And then the ending left you with a puzzled expression – they are already dead??? Did Ben not go in the church because he had not found his amends???? a wandering ghost???

May 24, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  110. CreativeFeed

Wow. 45 minutes of commercials for that? But it was dense...and a bit overwhelming.

We were following the TWEETS last night with #LostFinale – pretty funny stuff. Look at what some of them had to say.

May 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Kevin

We DVR'd it and started watching 45 minutes late so we could watch it uninterrupted. Zipped right through the commericals. But now I want to go back and watch the Target ads with the Smoke Monster.

May 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Bill

Despite the huge amount of commercials the smoke alarm commercial with the smoke monster made me laugh every time

May 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Chris

After the first 45 minutes, I threw in the towel because of the excessive commercials. Thank goodness for DVR and the ability to banish those obnoxious interruptions. So I'll watch it UNINTERRUPTED tonight.

May 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  114. tom

thanks for repeating me verbatim Jimmy boy, and uh, idiots guy. At least you guys aren't riding the crazy train

May 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  115. fabiana

Didn't really pay too much attention to the commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  116. C

The commercials were pretty long but my friends and I started the pre-last episode retrospective an hour late so we only had to watch one commercial break thanks to DVR. An awesome finale.

May 24, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Kathy D'Lauro

Commercials every 10 minutes! Really! Ruined the last episoed for me.

May 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Jeremy

With netowork TV in the slumps, they have to milk a hit show. Every advertiser wants their ads to be seen by the max number of people, and Lost was highly watched.

In the age of DVRs, you can skip the commercials then complain when your fav show gets cancelled and replaced with cheaper to make reality shows. You HAVE to support the advertisers for your fav shows or watch them go off the air due to lack of sponsers while they talk about "low ratings" even though they can only guess and estimate how many people actually watch.

That's why I go to Subway once a week for lunch or dinner. They helped keep Chuck on the air. I keep the advertisers of my favorite shows in mind while I shop, even if I FF through the comercials.

May 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Hey idiots who can't do math!

You are all idiots. That dude tom above is right. The amount of commercials was only slightly above average. 30% vs. 26.67%. The difference came out to 2 or 3 minutes.

May 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Florida here

What a great finale it would have been if it had been commercial free!

May 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  121. JImmy Boy

If a normal 1 hr drama has 44 minutes of airtime, and some only have 42 minutes (check out the real length on iTunes), then that leaves 16-18 minutes of commercials and network promos. If you multiple that by the 2.5 hours it leaves you with 40-44 minutes. So why exactly is this a full story and why is everyone making a big deal. From the pilot episode, commercials have been a bother with this show. The trick was to start it 20 minutes after the start and use the DVR to catch-up during the commercials. I have been doind it for six years now. Although I thought the Target commercials were genius and actually rewound to see them. And the fact that they were 15-second spots kept it from being too much.

May 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Tracy

I loved the Target commercials. They were clever but the smoke monster commercial made me giggle (it was great) Overall, there were too many commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Tom

Yes, it did seem like there were an unusually large number of commercials during the finale. I loved the Target ads though, especially the one with the smoke monster & smoke detector! Very clever.

However, the amount of ads did remind me why I am increasingly moving towards waiting to watch TV shows on DVD instead of as they are broadcast. It's much nicer to be able to watch shows at whatever time & pace works best for me instead of having to be somewhere at 8:00 every Tuesday night to make sure I don't miss an episode.

May 24, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Doug

1. I actually loved the commercial breaks because we had a group watching the finale together and it gave us time to talk during the commercials.

2. The Target ads were funny and well-done. It honored the show and the finale. Target will sell me a keyboard when "Execute" quits working, A smoke detector to find a Smoke Monster, and Barbecue Sauce to put on my boar!. And then each commercial wrapped up with a little bit of "Dharma Lady" by Geronimo Jackson!!

May 24, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Chessnutz of Liverpool NY

That's 43% of commercials seems extreme to me.

May 24, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  126. pattie bee

glad i never watched a single episode.......especially now after hearing all this negative feedback!

May 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Robin

Smoke Monster to sell a smoke alarm?....... way too clever!!!

May 24, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Violet

this one time I didn't mind watching the commercials–loved them. Thought the Target ad was great–made me laugh.

May 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Cindy

We don't normally watch anything life, usually just wait until the next day to watch it on-line. However, I didn't want to wait to see the Lost finale. There were way too many commercials but the Target ones were great. My husband thought they should even be included in the specials when the Lost DVD comes out. And as many others have stated, the smoke monster one was our favorite.

May 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  130. c

given the ranting about the number of commercials, perhaps i *should* be grateful our affiliate went in the crapper last night and lost the feed for the duration of the show. we were so focused on trying to actually FOLLOW the show due to various delays and jumps in the programming i don't recall seeing a single commercial! they are re-showing it saturday at 8 pm, so wonder if the commercials will be the same as well.

May 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Sarah

DVR is a commercial cure. I havent watched commercials in ages

May 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  132. William Davis

This whole thing is stupid. I won't buy anything from the advertisers. So pooh on all this. The ads don't sell, they irritate ... like on all the other saved shows with endless ads, most of which are the same. What is the point, just name the product and get off.

May 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  133. starzzguitar

Somebody out there tell me how the fat guy stays FAT. Thank you.

May 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Danae

Unfortunately, the commercials were more interesting and entertaining then the show. That was so frustrating because I love the show but last night did not live up to expectations.

May 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Connie

There were way too many commercials. I didn't watch any of them, ran to another room to check emails.

May 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  136. chatagnier

Commericials.... lol who still watches those??!11
    DVR baby. Go ahead and waste your money corporate america.

May 24, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Mike

Didn't watch any of them thanks to TIVO! We just started watching almost an hour after it began, then fast forwarded through the commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  138. dusty

Actually, it was the overabundance of commercials from the very get-go when Lost first aired that made me turn the show off and not return to it. Pity. I would have loved to have seen it all. From the beginning.

May 24, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Jon

There were several fragments of 4 minutes of show, followed by 4-5 minutes of commercials, followed by 4 minutes of show, followed by 5-6 minutes of commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  140. CK_One

Realizing that ABC could make millions on one of the most watched episodes of the season (or seasons for that matter) they did fans a disservice by having so many commericals. They were coming at us every 8 minutes and lasting much longer than the 2 minutes/2 seconds Chuck Woolery rule. It killed the mood. It was clear very early on, it was not HBO. It was TV.

May 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Amanda R.

Since I don't have the money to blow on a DVR, I watch shows when they're on- like back in the dark ages. I just hit MUTE through the commercials and don't watch them. But last night was ridiculous- I was able to do laundry, pack lunches, empty the dishwasher and dry my hair through the commercials! I guess I should thank Target for letting me get chores done!

May 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Jon

I found the number and frequency of the commercials to be extremely insulting to the viewers. ABC should be ashamed of itself. Millions of people have watched this show for 6 years, despite the incredible number of never-resolved questions and the frustration that accompanied those open mysteries. Then, ABC airs this episode, possibly the most anticpated television event of the decade, and instead of giving the writers more time to answer these questions and buld the story toward a satisfying conclusion, they fragment the show so much that commerical breaks were often longer than the segments of the show they were breaking from, completely destroying the viewers ability to really get hynotized in the emotion of the story, all so the network could get even richer at our expense. As a result, almost half an hour of the story got cut from what aired and now we have to wait months to eventually go out and buy the dvd's if we want to see it what we missed so that ABC could air an absurd number of commercials. Instead of saying thank you to its millions of loyal viewers, ABC did nothing but insult us.

May 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Ray

the Target ads are funny and brilliant and speak to LOST fans. To call them cheap is to not understand the fandom of the show. I think Target was right on target (pun intended).

May 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Jessica

There were too many commercial slots. It got real annoying and wished I dvr the episode to fast forward. How many times they are gonna repeat the lexus commercial in one slot?

May 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  145. tom

An average episode of lost is 42-44 minutes long, leaving an average of 17 minutes of commercials per hour. So a 2.5 hour show should have 17×2.5 = 42.5 minutes of commercials. This news article and 81 associated comments are all centered around 2.5 extra minutes of commercials. This post took me about that long to write. Mission: Timewaster accomplished.

May 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  146. starzzguitar

Okay all you smug technophiles, there are LOTS of people who don't have DVRs, and some still record shows with VCRs. Some people only use their cell phones to make a call. Lots of people don't have navigation in their cars. And commercials allow you to watch the show for "free" (not counting the cost of your cable/sat provider). Personally, I could never figure out what was going on, and HOW COME THE FAT GUY IS STILL FAT? He never lost any weight being marooned? Weird.

May 24, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  147. John L

I never watch commericals, I use them for personal business like getting snacks, potty breaks, checking other shows on other stations. Companies waste alot money on trying to impress me.

May 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Ecosutra

We are all lost in a synthetic fossilized addiction. Our purgatory is the infinite growth paradigm. The commercials are a reflection of our own lost as we watch others ponder their own personal demons. If you want me to be Jacob, I will tell you there is a way to save your soul. Its called Permaculture. We are entering a huge shift. A great natural systems design is ahead of you. Find the Island.

May 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Bob

Ads? What Ads? I DVR'ed it, turned it on 30 minutes late, and never saw one I didn't want to see. I did stop and rewind for the Target commercials though. They were witty and clever. Advertisers could learn from this – if you want to keep your message from being DVR'ed over, make it eye-catching and relevant to what's being watched. Kudos also to Verizon for the message commercials in the first two hours.

May 24, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Triza

Thank God for the mute button on the remote so I never have to listen to a single promotion....

May 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Michael

I record everything I watch using my PC with a tuner card. I NEVER watch live TV – except for the Superbowl. Ads take up about 20 minutes of every hour, and I'll live without TV before I put up with that crap.

May 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Josh

Thank goodness the NBA series was on. My DVR caught up with the present way tooo early. Flipping to the game during the commericals actually allowed me to catch a pretty good game.

May 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  153. EdE San

There were alot of commercials to fast forward through however...

May 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  154. EdE San

DVR buddy... Get with the program!!

May 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Jeremy

There were a lot of commercials but the Target ones were funny at least. They made me smile which was nice considering how torn up I was at some points.

May 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  156. David Jones

I will NOT watch anymore abc shows, way to much crap to sit through.
    These chanels that play the small laid over video on the bottom of your screen are basically running commercials ALL the time. I believe we as consumers should boycott those chanels.

May 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  157. derecon

I personally loved the target commercials.
    And yes, there were A LOT of commercials...but me and my friends needed that time to absorb everything we had just seen

May 24, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  158. RG

It seemed like each individual story had it's climax just before a commercial break. God Bless DVR's.

May 24, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Matt

I saw somewhere that said there were 45 minutes of commercials last night, for a show that ran 150 minutes. Which is the EXACT SAME as 18 minutes of commercials allocated per hour episode every single other week! (Do the 5th grade math... No really, I'll wait...) So either STOP WHINING or GET A DVR like the rest of us smart people!

May 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Bill O

That is what DVR is for. I recored the show and started watching it at 10 instead of 9. So no comercials

May 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  161. mike

tooooo many commercials.....the show was cutting to commercial break like every 3 to 4 minutes it felt like

May 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  162. g-girl

Watched about 45 mins., got disgusted with commercials plus
    didn't think the program flowed well – too disjointed w/flashbacks or
    whatever. I "lost" interest and picked up my book..........

May 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  163. M

I thought that LOST fans deserved to have this last show brought to them with fewer interruptions. It was really ridiculous!

I did love the Target ads. It was the only redeeming thing about the commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Jay

I agree, WAY too many commercials. I had been psyched about the extra long length of the show (2.5 hours) but it quickly became clear that it was just extra time for ads. Whatever. ABC usually sucks, this was no different.

May 24, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  165. sly64

I mute all commercials if I'm watching any show. They have gotten totally out of hand. When they spend so much on commercials, the price of the commercials for the product is passed on to the consumer.

May 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  166. dan

WAY too many commercials, was a joke...

May 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Midwestmatt

Ridiculous. Show less of them, like hulu does, and you'll get better consumer recall. Charge more for the more effective commercials and quit drowning us in breaks every 7 minutes.

May 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  168. OMG

WHAT! the target commercials were the worst. The smoke monster made me turn to my roommate and say, are they kidding. I almost hated the finally because of the target commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Mukadeen

I always like Target, and their commercial spot just made me want to come there often. I will buy the LOST Season 6 DVD from them and not from other stores. :)

May 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Beth

I record most of the shows I like to watch so I can delete all the commercials!

May 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  171. scruples

Too many commericals on network TV? Naaaaaaahhh.

Thank God for the DVR. Starting watching about 40 minutes in, skipped every commercial, and finished about 10:30.

May 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  172. NE Ohio

Any household in the NE Ohio area watching the LOST finale got a royal screwing including all the sponsors who paid for advertising time. Google WEWS-TV and read all the outrage. Starting in the last quarter of the pre-show the local signal began to break up and pixelate. Add in some audio hiccups and it was the beginning of a very annoying the TV night. The signal continued to degrade often going black to NO SIGNAL.
    It pretty much ruined it all for those in the area. Those paying for commercial time, you're SOL.

May 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  173. uwdawg

With my DVR, I flash-fowarded I mean fast-forwarded thru the commercials. 45 minutes of commercials sounds like a like for a 2 1/2 hour show, but that equats to 30% commercial / 70% show. That is same ratio for an hour long show with 18 minutes commercial / 42 minutes show.

May 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Mili

Could not have resisted waiting for a non-live telecast of lost. So had to bear the commercials. But they were awfully too many of them. After eevery character realised their real life, there was a commercial break. Come on LOST, you should have given us time to get emotional to those characters.
    But hats off to TARGET – made awesome ads. Enjoyed them thoroughlly. Smart move, I must say!
    So all losties, adieus till the next something-similar-TV-show.

May 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Terry

Thank goodness for my DVR. I started watching the 4 1/2 hours of Lost an hour after it began. That way I was able to fast-forward through the 45 minutes of commercials without losing my train of thought about the episode. 45 minutes of commercials......give me a break.....enough is enough with these intrusive , extended length commercial advertisements. Why didn't Lost line us one major sponsor to cover the entire show? My DVR is a life saver, since I can't stand the commercial ads.

May 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  176. jtv

Considering the normal penchant for 8 minutes of commercials per half hour of show, the added minute per half hour wasn't too much above the norm. However, because every commercial break came on the edge of a mini-cliffhanger it seemed, there sure seemed like a lot more.

May 24, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Matt B

DROWNING IN COMMERCIALS. This is the only episode I had to watch the second it aired. I kindof wish I had waited a day to watch it on abc.com. It would have saved me an hour of commercial annoyance.

That being said, the smoke monster smoke detector spots for Target were funny.

May 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  178. demmie

this entire season of lost was nothing but a but ad-fest with a broth-thin story thrown in...

May 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  179. steve

I'm grateful I have a DVR

May 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Shendai

This is why I canceled cable and rarely watch TV. Commercials are getting absolutely ridiculous in sheer qty. Target commercials were very clever. Quick & to the point. DVR & torrents will continue to grow as most people are simply fed up by the obscene amount of commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Chad

I DVR'd and starting watching 30 minutes after the start thinking that it would be sufficient enough time to miss the commercials. Wrong, there were so many that I caught up to real time. I always though Lost had way to many commercials during the show. At least the last 25 minutes had none.

May 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  182. kieran

I stayed up until 5am UK time when Lost was being streamed live on air. I fount Lost uploaded onto the internet so I started to download it with all the ads cut out, went to sleep then woke up in the morning and watched the finale.

May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Kurt

Well Bill if you love them so much just record shows and you can just watch your loving commercials... for the rest of us, we hate them and the article asks us to comment on the ads... so whine yourself to a different conversation!

May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  184. ChrisRenee

I liked the commercials; it was the only time I knew what was going on.

May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Mel

I thought the target adds were poorly done but brilliant all at the same time. Content was kind of goffy. However I saw more adds then I normally do with my DVR. We started it an hour late simply so we could go through the commercials. But we stopped more then a few times on a Target add thinking it was the show back on.

I thought that was a great way in the age of DVR's to get people to stop the fast forward on your commercial. I skipped past them once I realized what they were for, but I can tell you that while I didn't watch a commercial last night I sure remember Target was one of the sponsors.

May 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Bill

May 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Will

Commercials??? They still make those?!!

DVR, Baby!!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Kurt

Man.. I didn't leave enough time before I started watching on my DVR and had to watch commercials at the end and I almost blew my top at how many commercials there were. Everytime emotions started running high and I got really involved 20min of commercials broke in. It was hard to stay really interested. I can't even imagine tv anymore if I had to watch all the commercials. Thank god for DVR even if I didn't take full advantage of it last night.

May 24, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  189. NCole

People, It's called using DVR!!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Susan

I don't like ads of any sort. I race through them on the DVR asap.

May 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Amused

The producers had said the running time was extended to accommodate their final cut of the show... I think that's BS... it became obvious that the running time was set to get the max out of the commercials. As someone else has mentioned...I won't be watching any of ABC's summerfare. I loved LOST but they abused their viewers with this finale. It seemed that you got 4 minutes of show and 5 minutes of commercials at some of the breaks. USA Network runs many wonderful shows in the summer... they will get my vote and my eyes.

May 24, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  192. AE

I wouldn't know how good or bad they were. Thanks to TiVo I didn't have to sit through them. But there sure were a lot of them to scan through!

May 24, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Artboy34

You want "flow" and "emotional connection" with what you're watching? Shell out some bucks and go see a movie. Hate commercials? Watch HBO? Geez, when did people get so spoiled with their televisions? Advertisers have been bringing us quality network shows from the very beginning of the industry/art form.

May 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  194. William

I am going to miss LOST. What I m not going to miss is the 3 minutes of show and then six minutes of ads. I timed the ads versus the show over the this season and that is more or less the time of each. There were times when one ran longer than that but it was normally the stupid ads that ran longer.
    It is a good thing I love the show or the ads time alone would have made me change the channel. As it is I muted the ads each time just to avoid them. In the future if ads run like that during a show I love I will watch it on line only as the ads are short and few...
    Thanks TARGET FOR ANNOYING ME!!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Meldar

The Target comercials were clever in another way. If you DVR'd the show and fast-forwarded the commercial breaks you were still likely to stop and watch when the Lost scenes that opened each Target commercial popped up.

May 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Debulator

I LOVED the Target ads. They took a serious show and lightened it up a bit. Thought they were clever.

May 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  197. alex

OMG, I almost missed the last 30 minutes cause I thought it was over at 11pm. Instead of so many commercials, charge more money and show less, but again...this is the last of the seriel dramas I will ever watch, I almost fell asleep 3 times cause the commercials were longer than the show. Still could not tell you what any of the commercials were about.

May 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  198. SherBear

The commercial showing the black boar running through the jungle, then cutaway to Heinz BBQ sauce made me laugh so hard! I thought the Smoke Monster (detector) one was great, but also the keyboard one was brilliant. They were cheeky and fun. They were a little stress reliever, as we were all anxious to know what was going on. At least Massengil and Lamisil didn't buy spots for commercials!

May 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  199. D

The Target commercial for BBQ sauce showing the wild boar running through the woods was great!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Carolynartist

We were happy to pause the show, get Sunday night chores done in order to DVR and then FF through those ridiculous ads. The amount of commercial time ate into the flow of the story...the advertisers missed the mark on this one!

May 24, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Neal Williams

I have NEVER watched the show until after I recorded it so I could jump through the commercials.. The show had way too many and it really stopped the flow. Even forwarding through them was a pain, but KUDOS to what I think was the hands-down best television in history!! LOST will NEVER be topped!!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  202. jim

The next innovation will be dedication of the bottom 1/4 of the screen to nonstop commercial banners scrolling across the screen. Coming soon to a T.V. set near you!

May 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Apple

I think it is hillarious!!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  204. ahs

The beauty of DVR: start watching the recording 30-40 min after the start – FF thru all the commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  205. Dan in Milwaukee

Commercials, what commercials? Thank God for DVR's/Tivo.

Far too many in my opinion however, but at least companies are spending some money on advertising. Maybe the economy is starting to get better.

May 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  206. Lisa

Hated all the commercials! I think they could have done a better job exploring more within the finale than cashing in on all those commercial dollars and forcing it down our throats. Target's commercials were good but hey did it have to be so many?

May 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  207. steve

Not a surprise that the segment before 1100pm was the longest so you had to watch and miss the final segment of Apprendice.
    Every cut to a commercial was after 5 minutes of the show exect that one

May 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  208. Maria turcios

Am I the only person who did not get hooked on this series,I was watching the Apprentice last and an Spanish beauty queen finale first

May 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  209. MartinD28

I think this show is unique in that any commercial break dissipates the spell it casts on you, especially for the first few seasons. As such I recommend anyone interested in this series, but has not yet viewed it, to go their library and get the DVDs. I haven't seen season 6 yet and my understanding is season 6 DVDs will come out in August. I just finished season 5 last night so I still got a ways to go. Of course you can go to ABC website and view it with limited commercial breaks, that is if it doesn't both you to watch TV on a computer screen, perhaps laptop.

May 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  210. jj1

boring. predictable.

May 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  211. Tina

Yeah...way too many commercials. I thought I might wait 30 minutes since I recorded it and fast forward through the ads, but I just couldn't wait to watch the story.

May 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  212. john

I will never watch a show that has almost as many adds as the amount of time the show has. TV has done to the dogs.

May 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  213. JimK1111

As a person working in the marketing space I can certainly understand doing whats necessary to maximize the income by using the popularity of a show like LOST. Having said this – The number of commercials was over the top. My wife and I got to the point where we were timing program verses the commercials – 6 min of LOST to 3.5 minutes of Commercial – Wow! I agree with my wife – the next big series finale – DVR then skip all commercials.

May 24, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  214. Cathy

ABC ensured I will not watch any of their summer line-up or their fall schedule. Commercials were a MAJOR distraction and I found myself getting more and more irritated with the inability to sustain any emotional momentum through four minutes of tripe. I wish I had waited until today to watch the final chapter on my DVR.

May 24, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  215. hatesEVERYONE

I had it going on my DVR. I hit 'play' at just about the 1 hour mark and fast forwarded through all the commercials. It still ended pretty close to on time. I just about caught up with the show by fast forwarding.

May 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  216. JK Smalley

Yeah, there were FAR too many commercials, but the good thing about that is that I got to watch The Celebrity Apprentice during them, so I was able to watch 2 shows at the same time.

May 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  217. lostluv

The Target adds were brilliant! however, overall there was just tooo many ads.

May 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  218. Caroline

I agree with Dave – way too many ads, but the Target ads made me smile. It was like our devotion to the show was being acknowledged.

May 24, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  219. DC Lostie

Way too many ads throughout but the Target spots were great! Short and sweet and they made me laugh out loud.

May 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  220. Rick

Yet another reason why broadcast television is dying... people are learning how to either DVR or wait an hour and torrent commercial-free anything they want to watch.

May 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  221. amwhoiam

What are commercials??

May 24, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  222. LostnCommercialization

There was a show on too? It seemed like it was just a 2.5 hr long commercial marathon.

May 24, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  223. Nick

wow i thought there were a good deal of commercials but didn't realize there was 45 mins of em!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  224. Dan B

The target commericals were great. The smoke monster commerical was my favorite.

May 24, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  225. Steve

I saw a commercial that had the Aflac duck advertising insurance with the Toy Story 3 characters doing stuff in the background related to the new movie. Then at the end of the ad for Aflac it said to see Toy Story 3 in theaters.

These ads are out of control...soon you will see an ad like this...A woman walked through the ad sweeping with a swiffer while drinking a pepsi, feeding her dog Alpo, and taking the dog she adopted from Dumb Friends out onto her newly installed patio...

What the hell was the ad for again?

May 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  226. Yvette

WAY too many commercials! It was too hard to get involved and emotional with the characters when every 5 mins there was another commercial on. I understand wanting to take every opportunity to make money, but it was ridiculous.

May 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  227. MJ

I didn't watch any. I taped the show then started watching at 10pm so I could just skip them all ;-D

May 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  228. Dave

Who watches commercials in the age of DVR's?

May 24, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  229. Tamara

I thought the Target ads were hysterical! Brilliant!

May 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  230. Dave

There seemed to be far too many ads as a whole, just when it was getting moving again we were hit by another commercial slot. But I must admit the Target ads were clever and made me smile.

May 24, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |