May 24th, 2010

‘Single Ladies’ gets a Liza Minnelli remix

There's only one single lady left in the “Sex and the City 2” storyline, but Liza Minnelli has nonetheless created a cover of the inescapable single for the upcoming movie’s soundtrack.

With what EW.com describes as an “Ethel Merman” flair, Minnelli lends a…unique spin to the song that everyone from babies to fictional football players has sung along with.

It looks as though this is the song Minnelli is performing during the wedding scene in the "SATC2" promos, which would make sense since they're all celebrating someone putting a ring on it.

Minnelli told Contact Music that she had "a blast" during that scene, and promises that viewers won't catch her sitting down on the job.

"It's a wonderful number...And I just got a whole new knee, so I can promise you that everything is moving."

Minnelli’s cover has been alternately hearted for its comedic campiness and despised for the pain it may cause the ears of some listeners, but a poll over at the Huffington Post shows a split audience. Which side are you on?

Filed under: movies • Music

1. Floretta

Jeez Louise, how many folks here complained about Whitney Houston's caterwauling rendition of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You"?

May 29, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lee Solow

Sure she does single ladies great but bananaphone did a Liza version of this song a year ago. Watch it!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT4yf0mFvfo&w=640&h=390]

May 26, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jess

She scares me.

May 25, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Derek

Just reading that the talented and multi-award winning Liza with a Z performed this overly hyped song is enough to make me want to down load it and blast it throughout my neighborhood. Talent and true showmanship is a rare commodity these days and it is refreshing when one of the legends emerge. Before I end it should be noted that I am a HUGE Beyonce fan and can only hope that Beyonce will remain the class act that she is and receive this re-interpretation of her song with grace; after all there may be many who bemoan her re-interpretation of 'Fever'.

May 25, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. lauratj

Always loved Liza Minnelli a true legend/Looking forward to seeing SATC. Great cast

May 25, 2010 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jared

It's a gay wedding scene so of course Liza would be chosen to be in it. Liza is a legend and has more talent then anyone in show biz today. The gays in NYC have class, that is why Liza is in the film and not beyonce.

May 24, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. danw

hey marilyn : when she has sounded like hell/married a wacky dude/been an addict/and all around strange for soooo long.....she will never be her mother!

You're joking right?????

May 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Marilyn

I heard Liza's version, and it's an embarassment. I can't understand why SATC would choose her to remake the song. Beyonce's version is amazing! And Liza seriously needs to hang it up, for good. She has been riding on her mother's coat tails for years now, when she has sounded like hell/married a wacky dude/been an addict/and all around strange for soooo long.....she will never be her mother!

May 24, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eli

Its SATC in New York, that screams Liza Minnelli, why would they ever have Beyonce do it.

May 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kraig Rasool

I dont understand how they could actually let Liza sing the Beyonce
    hit....isnt she expected to be in OZ...oops (that was her mother)...
    They probably paid her more to moan the song than would have paid
    Beyonce sooooo I dont get it......It sounds as if someone is beating
    the life out of a cat.....

May 24, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. patNY

Mamma wouldn't be proud of this Liza.

May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. darlene d

I agree with you Mel. She sounds horrible!! I could not believe the poll numbers. So many people voted how much they liked it. Beyonce should have been the one to sing it...it's her song anyway!!

May 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mel

OMG! This had to be for pure comedy's sake! She sounded crazy! I respect Liza for the legend she is, but why, oh why would they do that? LOL

My question is, why couldn't they have just used Beyonce's version for the movie? wow.

May 24, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cyrus Howell

" One for the ages" No doubt.

Right up there with Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, FDR, George Patton and Robert E. Lee.

Not to mention John Locke and Emanuel Kant. .

May 24, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |