May 22nd, 2010

TV recap: 'Party Down' at Steve Guttenberg's house

Last year, there was a little show called "Party Down," about a bunch of wannabe actors forced to cater for a living, that quietly became one of the best comedies on TV. Now, halfway through its second season, it's been a little more hit-or-miss, but with Friday night's episode, it was back running on all cylinders.

First of all, who knew Steve Guttenberg could throw such a great party? The caterers showed up to work an event he had completely forgotten about, so he invited them all to be guests at his home instead (recovering alcoholic Ron catered the party anyway).

This episode had quite a few revelations: First of all, just how good are these people at acting, anyway? Henry and stand-up comedian Casey were actually quite good... not so much for Kyle, who, as usual, continued to get the short end of the stick throughout the night.

Secondly, what would a scene written by hard sci-fi writer Roman (and his writing partner, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse) look like? The answer: "Star Trek," if every character were a Vulcan. I loved the way Kyle's date threw herself into the role of the robot, as well.

Guttenberg took these kids under his wing with the mantra, "No risk, no reward," something Casey took to heart by kissing her ex Henry, never mind the fact that both are in a relationship. Things just got a lot more complicated for them.

This show always ends strong (in the middle of the closing credits), and you can't go wrong with a line like Kyle's: "I f-ing hate Steve Guttenberg."

Only five episodes to go before the season finale, and the return of Jane Lynch - are you looking forward to this as much as I am? Share your thoughts on "Party Down" on video or in the comments below.

Filed under: television

1. Heath Hammerle

Generally I don't learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very great post.

June 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Party xpress

If you're reading this article, chances are you're searching for a report on the Unified Tribe. In this article, I'll explain to you more details on this system and I...san francico bounce house party rentals

January 15, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Business Credit Card Loan

Great job, It’s posts like this that keep me coming back and checking this weblog regularly, thanks for the info!

July 23, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lawn Aerator

parties are of course very enjoyable, i would never miss a good party specially if it has some great program '.~

December 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sleep Better :

everyone loves to go on party every night, partying is the best stuff that you can do'`~

October 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fridge Freezers

everyone likes to attend parties, i also love attending many parties in a week coz it is fun-"

October 13, 2010 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. Amy Morris

everyone loves to party, it is an exciting way to meet someone plus you got lots of food too~",

September 13, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ruby Jones

i do really like parties, it is a fun way to spend your time and meet a lot of people.::~

July 27, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nathaniel Wood

i really love to attend in parties because it is fun an you met a lot of new friends.*::

May 25, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Harry

If you like Adam Scott in this, holy crap, watch a movie called "The Vicious Kind". You will be blown away.

May 24, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Francesca

I totally dug on the acting scenes. I mean Henry and Casey really threw it out there. Robot girl was good too. But I was like.. damn can we get Adam Scott a movie? Like soon!?

May 24, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Head Diva In Charge

Ok, I think I will check this show out now. Anyone that can dig up Steve Guttenberg is a must see.

May 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jennifer726

love this show...watch it every week on demand....looking forward to jane lynch's return....a little annoyed with ron and his drama grow up...but other than that a great show that more people need to watch!!!!

May 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |