May 21st, 2010

Shonda Rhimes responds to 'Grey's Anatomy' finale

Editor's note: You know how it goes - if you hate spoilers, stop reading now.

Shonda Rhimes knew what the reaction was going to be to the finale of her show, "Grey's Anatomy." On the "Grey's" writers blog she wrote, "You [all] are shouting, 'Shonda, what do you have to say for yourself? WHAT?'"

It was an intense two hours of television. One that left the audience shaken, angry and, if they were anything like, me, bawling. When the stoic Dr. Bailey cries, you know it's bad times at Seattle Grace.

In the first few minutes, shooter Gary Clark enters the hospital, looking for three people in particular. We've seen this depressed character before - the writers have been teasing this storyline for several episodes. He lost his wife to a surgery done by Richard Webber, and chief-of-surgery Dr. Derek Shepherd made the order to pull the plug. Little Grey, Lexie, did the awful deed.

The first shot Clark makes is point blank. Reed is dead. Next up is Alex. He's shot in the side. Both lay in their own blood before the credits even began to roll.

From there the death toll got worse, tensions ran high, and I began to question my sanity in watching the finale alone.

"When I pitched this finale at the beginning of Season 6 (those of you who know me know that I pitch the end of the season first and we work towards it), when I pitched a gunman shooting up the hospital, it seemed fine," Rhimes wrote on the blog. "Really it did. And then 20 or so episodes later, I started to write it and it did not seem fine. It did not seem fine at all. On an almost daily basis, I would come into work and throw myself down on the sofa in the middle of the office and burst into tears."

I won't go through the horror again, but suffice it to say no one walked away without injury, be they emotional wounds or physical ones. Bailey watches Charles die in her arms, unable to help, as guest star Mandy Moore cries in a corner. Christina operates on McDreamy with a gun pointed at her head. Meredith has a miscarriage in a moment of extreme stress. Hunt is shot in the shoulder.

I could go on.

"It hurt to write this finale. It literally hurt me. Because in order to write these episodes, I had to walk in the shoes of Gary Clark," Rhimes wrote. " I had to think like a shooter. A person who would shoot Reed and Alex and Charles. A person who would shoot Derek. By the time I finished writing part one, I was sick. And depressed."

And now, so are we. Of course, Rhimes has her reasons. She compared Meredith losing her baby to owing life a bill - she gets to keep her husband so she has to pay up, karma-wise, in some other way. And there were happy moments... Arizona and Callie realizing that life is too important to stay apart despite a tiny difference of opinion. Owen finally manning up and choosing Christina. Webber finally pouring out the vodka and taking back his hospital.

But overall, "Grey's Anatomy" has once again delivered a season finale that had people one beep away from a suspense-induced flat line.

Filed under: Grey's Anatomy • television

1. tami

Why is Dr.Robbins & Callie mad at each other in season 7???? And why did Yang get fired?? Webbers chief again???? Grey And mark are back??? Robbins don't work there anymore,? I need answer's!!!I missed a couple and I'm dying.

January 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. holly

The finale was the best ever!!! But why can't u bring back Izzie!!! I miss her! I really think she and Alex should make it work!!
    U know, it was bad enough that George died!!! I MISS HIM 2! PLEASE,PLEASE, BRING BACK IZZIE STEVENS!!

September 3, 2010 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Susan

Effie, Bailey did have a phone and try to summon help, b/c we heard her voice during the 911 calls (when Dr. Weber was outside with the police officers)....but I think they couldn't get to her and couldn't/wouldn't have been able to allow access between the floors. I really hated it that Charlie died...I was praying the elevators would start working at the last minute and he would be saved after all. (If he needs to be off the show, he could have just not returned next season b/c he was traumatized and refused to come back to work at Seattle Grace, or whatever....) Charlie dying made me sick. :-((

July 2, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dennis Mc.

I wonder how Shonda-Rhimes created the phychological profile of Clark in her head. I am unable to comprehend how someone, even in such extreme grief, would think they would bring themselves closure or comfort to themselves in knowing that he is bringing about the same pain and grief in others. Perhaps not for Derek but for the others. It is particularly so where he shot the yound intern and would have shot Bailey simply because they were surgeons. The show was intense and waiting through the commercial breaks was painful. Loved the intensity of the scene in the children's ward and I thought that the use of Mandy Moore's character was great as it put the viewers into the scene as involved bystanders. Good writing and impressive performances by most of the cast.

June 1, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cherry

I am an grey fan in Shanghai, China and this program is also very popular here. The most important reason for why I am crazy for Grey is I am crazy for Dr. Burke. Grey will not be the same after Dr. Burke is away. Although I understand the actor did something not properly, he should deserve to get a chance after three year (he really made the role fantistic). Season 7 is most likely to be the final season of Grey. So, please please bring Dr. Burke back in the final season and Gery will win more fans outside USA.

May 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tired

Okay, So people have problems with gay relationships but not with people getting shot point blank or just a shooter in the hospital in general? Why don't you just block your TV from anything that may offend you so the rest of us can get on with our non biggot lives and actually live in the real world where people can finally accept other people. Its public television. Which means everyone watches it, including GAYS, so why can't gay people watch something that can hit home for them? They are fine with you, so why can't you just be fine with them already because this is getting really tiring.

May 23, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Taylor

WOW. I've never been hit by a t.v. show so hard in my life!!!! I cried like a freaking baby. I'm an actor that has had to do a few school shootings for the police to train with and I tell you next week when I do one I'll be thinking of this episode and screaming till my lungs bleed. It was truely an amazingly heart breaking episode. I haven't freaked out at the T.V so much since george died. Great job!!!!!!!

May 23, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Effie

I loved this episode. But one thing I didn't understand. Why couldn't Bailey summon help? Weren't there phones on the floor?

I'm ok with suspending disbelief – I'm just wondering if there was something I missed!

May 23, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rene'e

Please forgive me for playing devil's advocate...

I pray no one in relaity in that state of mind gets any enhanced ideas... it's bad enough in the world as it is.

But... I loved the finale. Unbelievable. I thought, at first... when Reed was shot at point blank range... someone was dream, maybe Carev since he walking in next.... but oh my goodness, no dream.

Though Christina was chosen... I thought Teddy would die, making it easier for Owen (I like Own and Christina together).

It was so hurtful to see Charles die like that. In a hospital, hurt... but no one can help you. I was praying for a miracle.

Oh and finally, I really want McSteamy with Little Grey.

Great finale Shonda. You rock, girl.

P.S. It kind of reminded me of the Fort Hood, Texas shootings here on post. (Sad)

May 23, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. andrea

God have given t you the smart to do this. Congratulations. Finally all is love about.

May 23, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. tara

i thought this was once of the best episodes ever. yes, it was dark, but it was also rivetting, suspenseful, intense. i was exhausted after watching it. but it was worth it. great job, grey's writers!

May 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. alice

It was so good! So so good. But the swat team would never let the shooter go to continue to hunt and kill. That part was shaky. Also, someone performing surgery while having a miscarriage was not too believable.
    Other than that, I thought this was a REALLY good season finale.
    I'm with the other blogger. Bring Burke back!

May 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michelle

Ok, I have to admit that up until the finale I was getting pretty bored with Grey's Anatomy. I was watching it more out of habit than anything else- and then I watched that. It was amazing. I was calling my friend every commercial break to shriek and come up with theories. It made me sad, and at the same time sort of brought everything together. I was very happy.

May 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. janet

I have been a fan of the show for years but will not watch it next season. This finale was the worst case of gratuitous violence I have ever seen on a primetime dramatic series. I can't imagine what Shondra Rimes' reason was for writing this garbage. Shame on you Shondra and to all your fans, who thought this was a "fabulous" episode. Seems like I'm in the minority , but I'm proud of it.

May 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Blake. A

I am not someone to showcase my tears, but it has been a repeated occurence most thursday since the season premiered. I remember watching Bailey cry as my heart stop beating caz i was crying so much. We pulled it together right about the same time..." its ok Bailey you can cry"....to ....."focus Bailey and GET IT TOGETHER!!!". But Meridith was a straight "G"- how dare Christina try to hold her back. But farm girl is on my hitlist\....she is by far my least fav. character. Can we PLZ bring back Burke to the show......im sure that would add some incredible tension to the show

Thanks.Shonda fanatic!!!

May 22, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  16. marie rao

I have seen every Greys and every Sopranos and every Mad Men and every Six Feet Under..ok, you get it...but this episode was THE BEST finale ever. Chandra Wilson – u rock! Ur scene by the elevators ranks up there with anything I have ever seen on tv.
    Shonda Rhimes, don't ever doubt yourself. U r brilliant. Congrats.

May 22, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  17. Laura

Amazing ,amazing season finale. Best I've seen in a long time. Incredible writing and acting, kept me completely hooked from begining to end. Thank you Shonda, proving that Grey's still has it in them to deliver compelling Television. And also thank you for the Callie and Arizona relationship, and portraying them with equality as every other couple. Completley blown away with this finale. Amazing.

May 22, 2010 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  18. Vanessa

I'm so happy with what this show has done with Callie and Arizona's relationship. Even though it's a small part of the story, they deserve recognition for having such a strong relationship. As strong yet still developing as was Mere's and Derek's, pre-marriage. I applaud Grey's for stepping outside the box and offering viewers a look at what's really out there.

There is nothing explicit about two people loving each other.

On another note, wow how I was blown away by Chandra Wilson's performance. That deserves an instant reward because the scenes with her were so entirely gripping I couldn't bare to look away from my screen. This was definitely a "Get Rid of The Other Hospital People" but it was a step in the direction, in my opinion, since Seattle Grace was getting particularly crowded. A lot of people tends to equal more room for drama to occur.

I was starting to lose Grey's as my favorite TV show lately, but this has definitely brought me back. I've been watching for as long as I remember, and hope you focus less on the drama so I can keep doing so.

– V

May 22, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  19. Khalid J

The writers of this season finale episode captured the element of perfection and held it hostage for 2 hours, this was genius I wascompletly and utterly blowed away, I have never seen an episode of tv this fasinating in my entire life this was the best 2 hours of tv i have ever watched in my life.

May 22, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. excited!

i love love loved callie and arizona. i think their relationship is poignant and caring. such a positive depiction. i wish we could see them being just as affectionate as the straight relationships. it broke my heart to see alex call out for izzie while lexie was right next to him. such a good way to reveal his innate feelings for the loss of his wife. lastly, i love how true and sturdy cristina and meredith are as friends. they are completely there for one another and prioritize their kindred spirits in some ways more than their romantic entanglements, no matter how delightful(mcdreamy) or disastrous(owen) they are. which brings me to owen. why? why should we care? for having ptsd, i feel as though it would be great to see his character step up and not be such a selfish, incommunicative, jerk. he is allowed to call shots on teddy's career and keep both of these women in his sights? ridiculous. both teddy and cristina are too strong and too wonderful for someone such as him. please shonda, we're growing tired of his hapless caveman antics with such brilliantly strong women. that disappoints me.

May 22, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  21. marci

Awesome season finale

May 21, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. dianefernandez

I have watched Grey's in reruns and first-run episodes this season. This was the best finale I have seen in a very, very long time. Great writing and superb acting.

May 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Linda

Grey's Anatomy is my favorite show and the season ending was the best I have ever seen on TV or a movie. Shonda, you are the best. Don't get me wrong, I was filled with anxiety and horrow and pain and tears till I couldn't see and had to pause. The acting of all the cast members were phenomenal and you should be proud of them. We talked at work all day about it.

May 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Heather

Awesome writing, awesome acting. I have not been happy with Grey's the last 2 years, but I still watch it most the time. I must admit I've missed a few episodes this season, because it's been boring, but last night was Kerazzzzzzzzzy! When Reed got shot all of a sudden like that, I was like "Holy S***!" I think I was trembling through the rest. NOw that's good writing! I don't understand people saying this is a family show and their kids were watching. Put your kids to bed! This is an adult show people. Especially when there is a disclaimer in the beginning about violence. I also want to say it made me sad to think that was how it happened at Virginia Tech and Columbine. How sad and horrific what those people went through. I was very sad for Meredith when she thought Derrick was gone and then the miscarriage. That sucks! And let me say McDreamy was looking extra good this episode. It made it all the more horrible in the scene where he got shot. :( Poor Derrick... Boo hoo! I found myself saying to the tv, "Please don't shoot Derrick. Please don't shoot him!" and then you SHOT him. I'm glad he's ok. **Tear** Great job Shonda!

May 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Penny Baer

OMG! Best Final Show ever! I hope that when they give out Emmy's this year that this show wins for nothing more than this riveting episode.
    The writing was incredible! I was stunned and taking it all in and then the show hit me with another stunner, etc., etc., etc. Great Writing!

May 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Melique

One of the best written shows of our time and the most sophisticated story lines. Each episode makes you dig deep and identify with each character and their flaws. Rhimes makes you investigate the origin of your emotions without preaching and leaves just enough up for debates later.

May 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mei-Lin

This was the best Finale Ever!!! Looking forward to new this coming Fall season.

May 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Robin

I have not watched Greys since the entrance of MCSteamy, but was glued to the set last night! It was honestly the best episode of television I have ever watched. My husband has never even seen the show and he was right there next to me. We were shocked at the violence, but loved all the action...it was like watching a movie! Patrick Dempsey was amazing...all of the actors were outstanding. THe Gary Clark actor, was incredible...he said more with his face, then words could express. I cried about 4 times. Now I have to go buy the season 6 set and get caught up on who everyone was...I fell in love with Charles and I never even knew him. Best finale, or 2 hours of television ever!! I'm a Grey's fan again!!

May 21, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Oh the Suspense!

I was utterly surprised by the decision to keep ALL THE MAIN CHARACTERS ALIVE. From the beginning I was certain they would all die, so the decision of the gunman to shoot himself was a real damn shocker!

May 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jeff

Britteny May 21st, 2010 10:45 am ET

__________________________________

Really? Because the relationship doesn't fit into what you define as 'normal' you find it to be too explicit for TV? So these women and men shamelessly throwing themselves at each other on the Bachelor/Bachelorette is completely kosher and this, this is what you take issue with? Really?

Close-minded or what?

I'm surprised you didn't also find issue with Burke and Yang, ooooh scary inter-racial relations! You'll be one of the bigots the next generation looks back on and shakes their heads at wondering how a generation could have been so naive, and ignorant.

Personally i'd be more concerned with what YOU convey to your children, given your obvious mindset, then I would with Grey's.

May 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Joe

What the F#@k, is Rimes nuts, just way to much killing way to much. I was not ready for this type of stuff from Rimes, she could have handled this way better. If she wanted to clean house, why do it this way. Not a Happy Grays Fan ;(

May 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Calvin

I am glad that Shonda Rimes finally admitted that Dr. Bailey is the meat and potatoes of the show. I would love to see more of Dr. Bailey and for the writers to develop Dr. Webber more. This will be my best episode thus far only because of its length and that all characters were involved. My second favorite episode was Preston and Christina's Wedding.

May 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Stacey

Possibly the best TV that I have seen in a while since shows like Six Feet Under or Mad Men. Amazing that Network television can pull off such a fantastic episode. I can't wait to see what Grey's has in store for next season and really excited about the new show from the Shondaland camp, Off the Map.

BEST!

May 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. otto

How can they top this season finale? I say it ends up with Dr Webber (Former Chief of Surgery) wearing a cowboy hat riding a hydrogen bomb aimed at the capitol of N Korea.
    Let them pitch that one.

May 21, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mia

A young person is brutally shot in the head in one of the most explicit and violent scenes ever shown on television...but people don't complain about that, they complain about the love between two women? We live in a sick world!

May 21, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. emtlady

I work in an emergency room waiting room and I am not kidding when I tell you this. I had an angry caller on the phone who did not get the narcotics he wanted AND we had Grey's on the TV. Talk about a nerve wracking shift! I kept worrying that real life would play out as on TV. Thankfully, it all turned out okay...

May 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Tracy

This was by far the BEST season finale of all times!!!!

May 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Vera

I agree it was pretty super awesome. I do have to say though.....ER did it first only with a crazy knife wieldig psych patient. Just had to give them their Kudos.......

May 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. D

Thought it was terrible and unbelievable. Farfetched. The Swat team can not take out the shooter, after he is shot. they are all walking around the halls with a shooter loose????. No phones . The elevators don't work. Why not try the stairs for help?? Really bad writing....

May 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Grey's Fan

Get ready for an Emmy for Sandra Oh...........It was a fabulous show. I was absolutely glued to the TV for two hours!

May 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Lorraine

WOW! TALK ABOUT INTENSE BEST FANALE THIS YEAR! ALL PERFORMANCES WERE EXCELLENT! GLAD TO SEE GA IS BACK ON TRACK...CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON! GO MISS B...

May 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. LinaSeattle

I watch every episode of Grey's. If I can't watch it, I DVR it... Last night I did that intentionally so I could watch without commercials.

This has to be the best finale I have ever watched in my whole life... Shonda did a wonderful job of bringing things together and creating a riveting, earth shattering, jaw-dropping, leaving me in tears finale.

I personally love the relationships that we have seen grow on the show...McSteamy is so much more of a guy I want to take home to mom now that he has realized his feelings for Little Grey. The Callie/Arizona relationship is awesome...and for those who disagree and say that this is a family show and their relationship isn't family show "worthy??" I certainly hope your young kids were in bed when Gary was going around the hospital killing people. How is a couple who loves each other planning a family not family worthy? If anything I think their relationship is one of the most dinamic. I look forward to the two of them having kids, and watching their relationship grow. There needs to be more of this on television...Family television specifically.

Thank you... can't wait to see next season!!!

May 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Harley

Best episode ever, great writing, great acting. The SWAT team efforts may have been a mishap but this was an emotional show. One thing that would really send this show into orbit would be to bring Burke back....we want Burke back, we want Burke back!

May 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. driena

This was the best show ever. I cried so much that my head started to hurt. You touched on so many emotions. I cant wait for the next season.

May 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jayson

Did I really read that Brittent wrote "Callie and Arizona relationship. This is family television and I think their relationship is to explicit for a family television. Besides that, the show was a hit."
    So we can see a pretty, young girl get shot point blank in the forehead, but 2 people in love is too explicit?!?! WOW

May 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Lost Lover

OMG OMG OMG...LOVED LOVED LOVED IT... Seriously, for 2 hours I must have been watching this show with my mouth agape... from Reed getting killed, which i was NOT expecting... to Cristina's performing surgery with a gun to her head..> WOW WOW WOW!!! The acting was superb, ALL AROUND... Cried my little face off, that is for sure... I am glad that it wasn't left as a cliffhanger, but cant wait to see how this affects everyone when next season starts...

KUDOS TO SHONDA AND THE CAST OF GREY'S...XOX

May 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Diane

I have watched Grey's from the start and to all you people who don't care for it then please feel free to not watch. I however think this was the most intense season finale that I have ever seen. I loved it and as several have stated it kept me glued until the very end. Great job writers and actors. People don't realize that something like this could possible happen. It happened in my home town.The only person killed was the hospital administrator because that is the only person the shooter wanted to kill. So to those that don't think it could happen you are idiots. I bet you never thought planes would fly throught the towers either did you?

May 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  48. freethehens

There would have been no episode if reality entered into it – cell phones, hospital phones? Where did they suddenly disappear to?

That aside, best episode in years.

May 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Kamille

That was just mind-blowing. I still have a headache from crying. At one point I paused it and walked away SOBBING saying "I can't take this". But it was epic. As I told my friends...I wish you could nominate an episode from a series for an Oscar because that finale certainly deserved one and Chandra Wilson deserves the award for best actress. GREAT job!

May 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  50. LoveGreys

This was the absolute BEST finale I have ever seen! It was like a movie! Actually, best movie I have ever seen! Brilliant writing!! It kept me on the edge of my seat and my co-workers and I have not been able to stop talking about it! We LOVED it! Yes, it was intense and violent, but it seemed so real...but we all still know this is tv. To those commenting that some things were unrealistic...yes, maybe so, but it is part of writing a great tv show. You can't make everyone perfect or there will be no room for the excellent plot to thicken like Shonda Rhimes was able to do. Excellent work Mrs. Rhimes! I am definitely a #1 Greys fan! Keep up the great work!!!

May 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Cooper

My problem with the finale was the beginning of the show where they discussed Mandy Moore's Ostomy and how revolting it was to her (the doctors seemed to concur). Anyone watching the show and living with an ostomy can attest to the fact that this was portrayed in a vile way and people who might be contemplating such an operation (which can be life saving) may opt out of it after listening to the opening dialogue of the show about this type of operation. Just like anything else, it's what a person gets used to and people DO live normal and happy lives with an ostomy. I think the writers could have approached this much differently and not put such a stigma on it! Shame on them!

May 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  52. writeforfun

I loved the show though it was very dark. It was beautifully rounded. When you said you write from the final episode back though I went "ah ha!" for three years now I've found beginning through mid-season don't live up to end season. I love the series overall – but I almost don't watch the beginning. The strangest thing that gets to me is that the characters do things that don't fit who they are in the early season – not from where they've been built to the season before. The writing is still good – but it's not what it is later in the season and the difference makes me change the channel sometimes. Just a thought – because honestly I think you're one of the best writers out there – but the last four or five episodes for the past several years have held up the rest of the season. I'm not an adrenaline junkie either (though suspense is always awesome) – but that's sort of the thing – everything is less impressive in the beginning of the past three and most especially two seasons.

May 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  53. docsgirl70

The best!!! I always DVR the show...and skip thru the commercials. I was on the edge of my seat...then my remote batteries died!!! I couldn't find batteries fast enough as I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen. I agree with most that we are happy none of the main characters were killed. Still shocked at the deaths that did occur tho. In essence..BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!

May 21, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  54. fshaw1

Wow!!! Best EVER!!! Way to go Shonda!!!!

May 21, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. deb

THE VERY BEST LAST EPISODE! I was so excited!!! GREAT writing!!! unbelievable!!!

May 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Yasmine

Incredible finale! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time,. Lets just put it this way, I was too creeped to walk the two blocks back to my house from my friend's house, so I just spent the night there!!!! LOL

May 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. hannah

that was the most amazing 2 hours of tv i have ever seen in my life! i cried with bailey, i cried with mer when avery said derek died, i cried when it showed his pretty eyes close.
    this finale deserves an award it was simply AMAZING!
    does anyone know when greys will return to our screens?

May 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Kim

AMAZING! Terrifying. I was wrung right out by the end. I literally shouted "NOOO!" when Alex came around the corner and got shot. And I'm so glad that things got wrapped up and didn't leave us hanging until fall wondering who lived and who died.

Excellent beyond belief. I watched it TWICE!

May 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  59. AWM7227

AWESOME..........this finale was great. I was on the edge of my seat. Can't wait for next season

May 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Crystal

It was so intense.....I wonder if Lexie will now try 2 work it out with Sloan knowing that Alex is still in LOVE with Izzie!

May 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Alicia Ammon

The Best eposide to date.. I cried ,have been depresses,unabl;e to sleep.Great work writers. Please, what date will Greys be back.

I have never watched "soap operas, but Mac dreammy has me HOOKED.

May 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  62. PC

BTW,

Couldn't have been more obvious in the " Let's kill off some Mercy West People" Department.

But don't kill Dr. Avery. People love him.

Just get a guy with a gun to shoot people, but make sure that only Mercy West people die because people didn't like them anyway, so this will take care of that.

Why is Christina still with Owen? Come on! Dr. Avery lived, so we need to see some more hooking up with Christina! Why else is he there?

May 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jennifer

My daughter was more excited than I was about this season finale. When I saw the preview, I was like...well just another episode where right at the end someone will die and we will not know who until next year....

BOY, was I WRONG!! When Reed was shot from that moment on we were on a roller coaster ride for two hours. "ups and downs, turns and jolts" I have never seen or experienced this much intensity on a network channel. Shonda you are my hero and kudos to the actors who pulled it off!

May 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Robyn

This was the BEST GREY'S ANATOMY SEASON FINALE EVER!!!! I was at the edge of my seat for the ENTIRE SHOW!!! EXCELLENT WRITING!!

May 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  65. zuke

That was one seriously badly written TV Show. Cheap, stupid in places and completely lacking realism...still, you had to love the anti-gun control bit towards the end, like everything else, it was just too obvious.

May 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  66. BBLLEE

THE BEST GREY'S ANATOMY EVER!!!!!!!!!!! KEPT ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!!!! :D I AM ADDICTED TO GREYS AND WILL DIE IF BAILY, LEXI, CHRISTINA, MEIR, OWEN, OR DEREK DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 GREY'S ANATOMY!!!

May 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. GeorgeOrwell

I'm with Pete. What a bunch of baloney. How is an untrained shooter able to kill that many people? The SWAT officer shot him but didn't take him down? Yikes! Those guys are pinpoint accurate. They can maim or kill, depending on what the orders are.
    Shonda Rhimes is so OVERRATED. She is a hack.

May 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. PC

Very suspenseful

But seriously... Gary gets shot by a SWAT guy and he still gets to walk around shooting people?

The SWAT team was just standing around outside the hospital doing nothing...

And then they make it in, shoot Gary and they let him walk away?
    " Hi we shot you, but we are just gonna let you keep your gun and walk away...."

Riiiight. Nice try.

And April should have been slapped in the face multiple times. She was the most annoying person I have ever seen on TV. EVER.

May 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  69. yvonne

the greatest! this was to most excellent tv show in america

May 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Carrie Reynolds

I tho't it was the BEST show EVER! What suspense! I was riveted to the television. Bailey, Christina , well, all of them, were utterly FANTASTIC! They ALL deserve best actor awards!
    I'm so glad that they didn't leave us hanging too!

I"m almost speechless – GREAT JOB!

May 21, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Lyndsey

the finale was incredible- never watched something so amazing on television before- i cried, i screamed at the tv, my poor dog got scared and was hiding under the couch. It was truly wonderful in every aspect. Bravo

May 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Holly

That was the most intense TV I've watched in quite a long time. Congrats to you all for putting together such a teriffic finale!

May 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Pete

What a terribly written and cowardly way out of a season. Can't think of anything else, so you stretch a two-hour finale by having a shooter? How original. I'm not one who shy's away from gore, but this was excessive and a flat out disgusting way for a season to end. I kept thinking, ER on steriods. Too many holes all the way throughout and they made Seattle PD and Seattle SWAT look incredibly incompetent. You wanna kill of a slew of Mercy Wester's in one shot, come up with something better. I'm disappointed to say the least. O'Mally/Izzie's finale was 10x better than this crap. And for those of you wincing at Calle/Arizona's relationship....get a life.

May 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Cookie

I could not leave the room during last night's episode. My husband and I watched together. It was exciting from beginning to end. Great writing, great acting...everything was great. Looking forward to next season.

May 21, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  75. lexie

THE BEST season finale of all time! Kept me on the edge of my seat holding my breath and bawling. Christina shined and I was glad owen made his choice. I was heart broken about charles dying and seeing dr bayle break down. I personalie like lexie with mark instead of alex. alex was calling for izze so it will be interesting to see if izze comes back.

May 21, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  76. Margie

OMG this was a great episode BUT if they don't do something to get Mark and little Grey back together I am going to scream. That is by far my favorite storyline and I wish they would just get back together. Alex and little Grey, NO WAY. He belongs with Izzie.

May 21, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  77. Pam

Yes, the whole SWAT team angle was totally unrealisitic. The SWAT would have had 100s of guards in the hospital stationed on every corner by the time Christina was operating on Derek. They would have never let the shooter in the operating room. But then we wouldn't have had that whole scene which is arguably the best one. Sometimes realism has to give way to art.

May 21, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  78. Jill Casal

That was the best finale I have ever seen. Chandra Wilson, aka Dr. Bailey, deserves an award for her acting in this episode! She was amazing! All the actors/actresses definitely stepped up their game but she really shined. Congratulations on an amazing well done show! I can't wait for next season.

May 21, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  79. Sylvie

This is the most amazing season finale I have ever seen. I watched it with my daughter and we were on the edge of our seats, rooting for the ones that didn't get shot, sad at the ones that did and completely angry with what was happening.

It was so suspenseful, even my husband (doesn't watch this show) sat with us and was so into it.

Congrats to all involved making this episode...IT WAS/IS THE BEST OF ALL TIME.

May 21, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  80. Marshall

I thought the season finale was absolutely great! It was packed with suspense until the very end. I like the fact that is didn't end with a huge cliff hanger. There was some resolve, and no ones life in hanging in the balance until next season! I strongly disagree with some of the comments about Callie and Arizona.... I think that their relationship is great.... and if for religious reasons you think you shouldn't watch it, then don't but the reality is their are lots of healthy loving gay relationships out there! And I would assume that the violence would be judge much worse then a kiss between two adult women!

May 21, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  81. Chad

WOW! Britteny. You say that Callie and Arizona's relationship is "too explicit" for family television. Yet, Reed gets shot point-blank. I would find that more disturbing for a child to watch, than Callie and Arizona have a 3-second kiss because they decided to have a kid! (10 kids actually)

May 21, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  82. chelo

I love this show and can hardly wait to see it. This last scene kept me at the edge of my seat. I cried and even got scared at home for my own life. This last scene was so realitic to me. The only scene I did not like is the kissing of two women. I can not stand it , I had to turn my face and not witness this act of love.

May 21, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  83. canadaguy

I am a casual Grey s watcher . I find show to be shallow often times but last night I thought it was as good as some of the best episodes of ER are. Just compelling television.

May 21, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  84. gee

Oh boy, I have never watched not one episode of Greys Anatomy, (just for too busy, late at night reasons) But my oh my, what made me watch this, I am now a fan. I told a friend of mine..that i wasnt sure if i could finish watching it because it was so scary and intense. It was heart pounding.

May 21, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  85. anna

Loved it! I was so intense! Shonda Rhimes you did a great job! Amazing writing and acting!

May 21, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  86. Sherri

When the SWAT guy saved Lexi and shot Clark, I figured it was over, what kind of crappy SWAT team do they have. He was down and still escaped, bad writing is right. It did annoy me that they could drag Charles all the way to the elevator but couldn't muster up the strength to roll him on a gurney. And why couldn't she leave and get help by taking the stairs? Everyone else seemed to be wandering around and why did they not use a phone and tell someone where Clark was. A lot of annoying things, but I still found myself enthralled in the whole episode and wondering what was going to happen next.

May 21, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  87. Gil

Can someone please explain to me what is 'explicit' about Callie and Arizona's relationship?

May 21, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  88. Brenda (NC)

I am a true Gray's Anotomy fan.This was the best Gray's Anatomy, I have ever seen. GREAT JOB TO EVERYONE. I can't wait for the new season to start. This episode should win an award.

May 21, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  89. janet

I know gun violence personally. And even though its been over 20 years since my family had to deal with such tragedy, watching Grey's last night was traumatic! I had the hardest time watching from the moment that gunman shot the Reed .. I was sick to my stomach! I was very near tears and ran out the room with my kids telling me not to ask what happened next. It was a great season finale as far as finales go.. just so intense, gut wrenching, and so damned real! It was truly scary and I'm sure will have many places rethinking their security or lack thereof.

May 21, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  90. tpear

This was an AMAZING finale! It was crazy in all the best ways! This reconfirms Grey's hold on my Thursday 9 pm slot!

May 21, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  91. Mi13

It's a pity violence means "Great Ending"

May 21, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  92. standout18

Just watched the finale!!! Best ever! Is there going to be a Season 7 or was that the very end of Grey's Anatomy???

May 21, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  93. Judy

As a strong Grey's fan, this was by far the BEST episode ever–even my husband caught a glimpse and couldn't walk away! However I do agree the Callie/Arizona line should be written out, as it is way too explicit for teens! Soooo glad McDreamy nor any of the other main characters were witten out.

May 21, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  94. Meredith Sheppard

All I can say is holy crap! What an amazing episode! It was like a movie. Scariest part was when Christina was operating on Derrick-when Owen came into scrub room and prevented Meredith from going in....because the psycho shooter was in there!!!!!!! Wow! Great performances by all. My only hope is that Mark and Lexie reunite next season-loved seeing those two together. I love Alex, but not with Lexie. Absolutely amazing episode in my opinion-best two hours I've spent watching tv in a long time.

May 21, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  95. Diana

Best season finale ever!!!!!!

The story and the acting were amazing. Can't wait for the next season. Thanks!!!!!!!!1

May 21, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  96. Pat

I saw the 10 minute preview on Facebook, so I was sort of prepared. I had mixed feelings about watching this episode. I said I didn't know if I could stand to watch it, but I didn't want to miss it either.. UGH! I think I deserve a T-Shirt that says "I survived the finale episode of Grey's Anatomy" Thanks for saving Dr. Webber and Bailey. And for giving us hope for Derek and Alex. Wish Meredith hadn't lost the baby though. Too much sadness there.
    They will return next season won't they?

May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  97. Melissa

I am still in shock and can't wait to REWATCH it tonight on DVR

May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  98. Kristin

I too have to comment on Britteny's comment.. this is a "family" show?? What's that supposed to mean? Why is Callie and Arizona's relationship too explicit? Because they are two females and not a "man and a woman" as your invisible man in the sky describes a relationship should be? If you don't like it, change the channel. It's real life.

May 21, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  99. Cathe

This episode should win an award. Suspense! The making of a really good horror movie. The strong became weak and the weak became strong. My husband rarely stays awake when watching TV, but last night he did!

May 21, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  100. Staney

The season finale last night, 5/20/2010, was the BEST episode I ever watched. Great actors and actresses. Well done!!!

May 21, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  101. Derek Manning

Yes, it was stupid that the swat guy shot Clark and then let him walk away. And how was Clark able to walk away and keep shooting people while he was bleeding out from a gun shot wound to the shoulder. Bad writing.

May 21, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  102. Alex

I thought the season finale was great, despite the plot loophole (when the SWAT guy shot Mr Clark before attempting to shoot Lexie, he could have taken him down and ended the terror right there). I do have to respond to Britteny's comment, however; I don't believe the nature of Callie and Arizona's relationship is explicit or unsafe at all for family television. No vulgarities, just a mere kiss, one that Derek and Meredith would share. Their relationship should be portrayed just like any other relationship on that show, and I think the Grey's audiences need to, and often do, understand that.

May 21, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  103. jody

om g last night i was tired from just watching the show stressed i tell u can u believe it the best finally ever this show and private practice really intense and i love it cant wait for the next season

May 21, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  104. Gill

In regards to Britteny's comment above. It is a family show and you have a probem with Callie and Arizona's relationship yet you make no mention of the fact that this episode was pretty violent what with people getting shot in the head and all!! How is a kiss more explicit than that??? It's time people like you realise that it is 2010 and there is nothing wrong with a normal, healthy loving relationship be it between a man and a woman, two women or two men.

May 21, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  105. Kay

This was the most intense one yet! Job well done.

May 21, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  106. petunia

I JUST DON'T GET WHY THE SWAT GUY WHO SHOT CLARK IN THE CHEST COULD LET HIM GO. I MEAN WHY DIDN'T HE PURSUE CLARK AND ARREST HIM. INSTEAD, CLARK WAS ABLE TO GO AROUND THE HOSPITAL AND FIND CRISTINA TRYING TO SAVE DEREK.

May 21, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  107. Tricia

OK I began watching this show as it is my daughter's favourite and it meant we spent some time together on Thursday nights, however she was not home last night and I was riveted – did not get up from the couch til 11:00, and I had important things to do. Guess this means that I am hooked now. Most thought provoking/heart breaking was the amazing Dr. Bailey – yes honey I too would have claimed to be a nurse, or an orderly, or a psyche ward escapee if it would have saved my life. Most frightening moment after the first two shots was when she was pulled from under the bed – God it made me feel like a little kid again, when I was convinced that the boogie man was real.

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  108. Benisha

All I can say is......OMG! This was by far the best season finale in the history of televison. I was really starting to get disappointed in Grey's this season because I love the show so much and it was starting to bore me. Well needless to say, I was NOT bored last night. Good work Shonda Rhimes!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  109. Ladybug

I agree with Carl – this was one of the best episodes of any show I have ever watched! I was afraid to leave the room during the commercial breaks because I was afraid it would come back on before I got back! Riveting! I have to admit, had begun to lose interest in the show, but this episode was fantastic! Kudos to all the actors, and Shonda Rhimes...woman – you ROCK!

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  110. debbie

I had watched Grey's for years lately not faithfully but turned on last night to see Derek & meredith once again you totally rocked!!!! What a great season final!!You kept me watching!!You got me hooked again!Here's to the writers!The acting was superb!I hope Meredith gets pregnant again!The shooter you totally got inside his head! I cried and thought about it all night.So many emotions!!!!I hope as many others got hooked like me!!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  111. hajira

this was definately the best episode of this season.this season was not full of soo much drama till the last bit.absolutely loved every bit of it and did not move my eyes away from the tv nor did i change during commercials..awesome show great acting absolutely loved it.

May 21, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  112. Melany

Great finale!! Kudos to the writers and actors!

May 21, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  113. julie

Omg!!!! best ever!! tears and then joy!!!!! Iam going to miss my Episodes every thursday night....but will be waiting......best fan ever....Julie

May 21, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  114. Elaine

This was without question, the best season finale ever! I have been a more devoted fan in the past but must admit, I've become somewhat "fair weather" due to the all too predictable story lines. The season finale has definitely brought me back into the fold. What an awesome job of both writing and acting. Thank you!

May 21, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  115. Teresa

Shonda you did your thang with this finale !!!iI was glued to the chair for 2 whole hours i could not even get my kids to bed it was the best!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  116. Britteny

Mandy Moore would be a great addition to the Grey's cast.

May 21, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  117. Brandy Gonzalez

The absolute best episode I have ever seen. Super intense and had me glued to my television. Surprises at every turn. Greys is back!!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  118. Britteny

I loved the season finale. It was very suspenseful and covered everything. I'm glad none of the main characters died, that would have been tough, because the main characters make that show. If I had to say anything negative about the show, its the whole Callie and Arizona relationship. This is family television and I think their relationship is to explicit for a family television. Besides that, the show was a hit.

May 21, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  119. becca

i though it sucked because it was like every other finale...the has become way to soap opera like me...they played it up way to much my opinion !!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  120. Lori

This finale left me shaking and scared. I cried and continually checked over my shoulder. When the show was over I made sure every door in my house was locked!!! Great writing and the acting was amazing as well. I am so impressed although it was disturbing! Can't wait for next season!!!!!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  121. Jackie Stoeckigt

Best Finale EVER!

Kept me on the edge of my seat all night! Even my husband was secretly watching the show in the other room. The season took some hits with the whole Izzy situation but had a huge comeback with the finale and has left me wanting more next season!

May 21, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  122. Karyl

WOW!!!!! What a GREAT season finale!!! We are all talking about it this morning in the office. From the 1st scene to the last, it kept us in suspense. I haven't seen a great season finale like that since "Who Shot J.R.??" The writers are INCREDIBLE!!! The actors all played their roles really well...I hated to see it end. Please keep up the EXCELLENT WORK!!! Here's a thought...Bring back Dr. Burke!!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  123. D.Doug

All I can say is "wow" My husband kept coming into the room I was in to check on me and to see why I was screaming and shouting. I thought Grey's was going down hill up until this very moment, the season finale. This was the best. It was full of suspense. I can't wait to see what happens next with the new season to come...Good job to all, it was awesome.

May 21, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  124. carl

I'm kinda a casual grey's fan, as most of the storylines throughout the years are a little annoying to me (I watch the show with my wife, who loves it), but I have to say, this episode was one of the best episodes of any show I've ever watched ever... I found that I was genuinely terrified the entire thing, and to be able to do that on a network with censoring makes it a work of art in my mind. Actually, more like a masterpiece. Props to grey's. Props.

May 21, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  125. Wendy

Best Grey's season finalé yet! Great writing & acting by all. Let's hoping LOST does the same!

May 21, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |