May 21st, 2010

Life after '24'...

When it comes to TV, I'm easy going. Color me a casual viewer of a few shows I kind of like, and a devout fan of a few I really love. So, when the news came that my all-time favorite show, "24," was ending, I began to fathom the harsh reality of knowing that the show I loved for eight seasons will be no more. At some point, I'll be "Bauer-less", but where will I go? What will I watch now?

I'm a big fan of shows like HBO's "Entourage", "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Eastbound and Down," but they're all between seasons at the moment and otherwise unavailable. I religiously watch HBO dramas "Treme" and "The Pacific," but one is a spring runner, and the other is the dreaded "mini-series"... egad.

After careful consideration, I've decided I need a break from the drama. Jack Bauer has some big shoes to fill, and it requires more time. I'm in a transitional stage, and I think its going to be comedy for a while.

After viewing just one episode recently, I became infatuated, and totally head over heels in "like" (not love – yet) with the hilariously clever "Modern Family." It will help to have characters like Jay Pritchett and his wife Gloria to get me through the rough times after "24." But I may need something more...

Readers of the "24" blog here on CNN.com have been more than helpful with their suggestions of shows that could fill the void Jack Bauer's absence will leave behind. While I'm thankful for ideas such as "Fringe," "Flash Forward," "Human Target" and "Burn Notice," I'm also open to some other ways of deciding what's best for my TV-viewing future.

As a kid "Rock, Paper, Scissors" was the definitive solution in almost every dispute, so I figured it had to be a good method to settle the score between these three shows:

"Rock": NBC's "30 Rock"

As an SNL fan, it was easy to follow Tina Fey to her new sitcom four seasons ago. Not only is "30 Rock" a fantastically funny glimpse into Fey's experiences as head writer of SNL, it has become an Emmy award-winning staple with terrific storylines and a great cast. Between my favorite characters, Alec Baldwin (Jack Donaghy), Tracy Morgan (Tracy Jordan), and Jack McBrayer (Kenneth Parcell), I don't know exactly who to laugh at the most. The dialogue is brisk and lively, and its sprinkled with the kind of wry sarcasm I enjoy in my own world. I love this show.

"Paper": NBC's "The Office"

When this show began airing in 2005, I was hooked. Its view on the day-to-day work at a fictional paper company was a fresh way of comedic storytelling I was drawn to like Dwight Schrute to Angela Martin. However, as the years wore on, I became disenchanted with the show and lost interest over time.

Was it Jim and Pam's budding romance taking up too much show time for my taste? I'm not sure, but "The Office" and I are an item again. We've been seeing each other regularly as of late, and I think we can work it out. The show has been renewed for a seventh season, and we may just have a future together after all. Reunited... and it feels so good.

"Scissors": Fox's "Glee"

While I can't believe I just wrote that out loud, I've tuned in to the show a few times (baptized in 'gLeekdom' with the football team's performance of Beyonce's "Single Ladies"), and noticed a silly grin on my face about 80 percent of the time. When its good, the show is downright delightful. I mean, what's not to love about Sue Sylvester's rousing rendition of Madonna's "Vogue," right?

But when it's bad for me, I've had a tendency to find the show "uber-hokey" (copyright, Dereyck Moore). At some points, I've actually judged myself for being a grown man watching such foolishness. (Dereyck, seriously? You watch this?) The jury's still deliberating on this one.

You know the rules: Rock beats scissors, scissors cut paper, and paper covers rock. The verdict? No real winner. None of these shows will cure my need for the heart-pounding action I've come to know and love via CTU and Jack Bauer all these years. I still can't decide on a winner, so it's DVR-priority status for all three. Free time will be a factor, but I have to make a "new favorite" decision somehow.

Meanwhile, back to the drawing board. When all else fails, sometimes you just have to go with a tried, true, scientifically-proven method of decision making. So, I stand up, take a deep breath, and begin to figure this thing out the right way:

"Plasma, plasma on the wall, which show will become tops of them all?"

Of course, the TV says nothing in response, because, well, it's not a mirror. So I'm forced to search through the channels to see what sparks my interest. I think I've made solid progress, but I'm still open to other suggestions. Comment below. Hopefully, the withdrawal will be short-lived, and my TV-viewing life can go on without Jack Bauer... somehow.

Post by:
Filed under: 24 • Entourage • Glee • television • Treme

1. val

I am still sad that 24 is no more.. but I am hooked on CBS's Hawaii 5-0.. I think this is one of the best Television Re-makes I have seen in a long time.. Of course I love Burn Notice, Leverage and NCIS.. they give me the action that I crave.. but nothing comes close to "24"... Bring back Jack!

November 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Colin

'Chase' on NBC. good stuff, and helps to fill the void left by 24's departure.

November 14, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Julio

Dexter on showtime not the CBS edited version is dark and fun to watch. Weeds as well.

September 23, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jen

Sons of Anarchy. The only show I've found to fill the void left from Jack Bauer. :)

September 22, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. shirley

I never got the show every time i went to watch it the same thing was his wife and daughter was kidnap or the old
    car chase and he was always running .

September 21, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Victor

White Collar – damn good show.

August 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Aaron

I know that there will NEVER be a show as good as 24. However, I have found the show Leverage (from TNT I think) to be really good. It provides action and drama, and keeps you guess as to how things will turn out. Give it a shot if you haven't already. As for Monday nights, I think I will honor the show by watching episodes from previous seasons on DVD, starting with Day 1.

June 2, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Brian K

Not sure if there will ever be another "can't miss" show like 24 for me. The shows I watch the most regularly are "Family Guy" and "The Office," but I do miss episodes of both shows from time to time. That wasn't the case with 24.

Ironically, while watching reruns of "The Office" on TBS last night, Dwight Schrute, thinking he was going to get the manager position with Michael Scott thinking he had a job lined up at the corporate office in NY, said that his ideal right hand man would be Jack Bauer 'except he's fictional.' Hilarious and so appropriate the day after the final 24.

Viva Jack Bauer!

May 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JackSmack

Nothing will ever replace the quality of 24 and Kiefer Sutherland. My hope is they will take off 1 year and bring it back.

Sam – MindSmack.com

May 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kill Bill

Breaking Bad and Dexter....both great shows.

May 26, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sigint

Kiefer Sutherland said the full set of all DVDs would be coming out later this year.

May 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kbmaestro

OOps! I think I know is what I should've said. Help someone! Need !DVD copies of the 1st 8 seasons. Help?

May 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kbmaestro

I know what I'll be watching, the other 8 seasons of 24 if I can find them on DVD. Any suggestions?

May 21, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ceecee

Of course, nothing will ever compare to our beloved "24" and there's not much out there to fill the gap right now...especially during the summer months. I'm happy to see the return of "Friday Night Lights". It's a good filler, at best.

May 21, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wifey

Of course nothing will take the place of 24, but I love Glee!!! I am interested in seeing the new summer line up.

May 21, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Vernon

My wife and I will also be wearing black-, NNNNo we have 24 shirts with CTU logos on them, we will be wearing them on Monday for the last show.
    Whyyyyyyyyyyy????? We have every DVD. seasons one thur seven of 24.

First Monk, then Jesse Ventura Conspiracy Theory, now Jack and Chloe are gone, as Jackie Gleason in Smokey & The Bandit says"What in the hell is the world coming too'.

May 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. beagleii

dude, if you are not watching Burn Notice on USA you are missing OUT !! VERY strong show with great cast and plot ...

May 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mary

Deb, I agree with you totally. I think I will wear black on Monday as well.
    JOIN US!!

May 21, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mary

Deb, I agree with you totally. I think I will wear on Monday as well.
    JOIN US!!

May 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Deb Adams

I am wearing black on Monday to signify the ending of "24". I can not believe that this show is ending. I know that they say that there will be a movie later on, but Monday will be the death of one of the best shows on television.

May 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  21. good stuff

the american office is hardly a fresh take on anything seeing as to how it pretty much the same show as it was on teh BBC. either way, its still funny, but dont call NBCs the office a fresh idea.

May 21, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  22. s

modern family is hee-lar-e-us! gLee rocks continuously ! i do enjoy burn notice and i think that royal pains is ok.

May 21, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |