May 20th, 2010

Russell Brand trains with the Marine Corps

Russell Brand, always the character, told David Letterman about the two days he spent with the Marines at Camp Pendleton in Southern California on the “Late Show” Wednesday.

Brand said he admires the Marines’ bravery, masculinity and strength of character.

“I love the Marines, I respect them, I can’t believe the heroic things they do and the way they live,” Brand said. “I went to live with them for 48 hours to see what it would be like to be in the Marines - it’s difficult.

And when Letterman asked Brand how the training went, he replied, “Well, I wish I could say I did rather well, but it was compromising.”

One of the most compromising parts being the 10 kilometer hike Brand took part in at 3:30 a.m., carrying a 70 pound backpack.

“A lot of the stuff in (the backpack) I didn’t even need,” he said. “A Shovel. I said ‘has everyone got a shovel?’ And they went, ‘Yeah.’ Then what am I taking mine for then? If I need (a shovel) I’ll borrow one of theirs,” Brand joked. “We’re a team.”

Filed under: Late Night comedy

1. USMC LCpl

I saw him when he was there and he ate chow wit us. He was gunna come shoot da .50 cal wit us but he wanted to do it on saturday(our day off) but we got to meet him and he seems like a very funny guy....and the E-TOOL U dont rly need on a hike and yes i underastand that uj use it when needed. I dont think he should've worn the uniform when he was there but he's a celebrity he can do pretty much whateva. cant wait to see his new movie!

June 4, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. JJS

I saw him on base. I and other Marines were disgusted. I think the fact he came here is disrespectful. What we do isn't something you can try for a day. Especially not by some terrible comedian. A Marine's job isn't funny and shouldn't be taken as a joke. The guy is a tool and he can NEVER be like us and see what we go through. If he wants to see what it's like, give him an M-16, and send him on a year long tour of duty to Afghan. By the way, that shovel is an E-tool and it's used A LOT.

June 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shlomow3

A very nice post.See the fashion brands licensing agency

May 27, 2010 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Marine

he was at SOI west MCT Hotel Co. First Platoon

May 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dywat

reminds me of the good ol days at 52 area. that 10km hump at SOI was probably just to reach the chow hall. Semper Fi!

November 16, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mj

I find Russell Brand a repulsive, uber-self-involved zero – I wonder what Marine outfit he was with – I remember him saying some very rude stuff about a sitting US president. It's OK not to like the man, but respect the office. I am sure more than one Marine wishes they had some "alone time" with him.

I agree, he should just go away...

May 21, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. tippy

Repulsive, crass, greasy, Camden riff-raff. Wish he would disappear from the airwaves.

May 21, 2010 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. mushymushroom

Soooo funny....I just hope he does not go back to drugs again and everything will be just fine! :)

May 20, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. romana detreiler

Russell Brand is amazingly talented–comedian, author, actor. Such an intelligent, entertaining man! Cannot wait to see his movie.

May 20, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |