May 20th, 2010

'Modern Family' mom demonstrates breastfeeding technique

It’s highly doubtful that we’ve ever seen this play on the gridiron.

Julie Bowen swung by “Lopez Tonight,” on Monday and told host George Lopez how she nurses her twin 1-year-old sons, John and Gus. The 40-year-old “Modern Family” mom even showed him a picture, to demonstrate just how she pulls this off.

“It’s like two little liposuction machines on you,” she said. “They suck the fat out of you. They call it the ‘double football hold.’ You hold one here, and here [gesturing to her breasts], like two footballs... They’re doing God’s work right there, helping me return to my birth weight.”

1. Breakfast Nook

i think that liposuction would become more and more popular these days because there are many fat people *-*

December 14, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Money Business :

liposuction may not be necesseray if people can just be more careful about their diet and if they exercise regularly':;

October 24, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Samuel Hernandez

lipusuction is a painful procedure to undergo coz i had it done on me last month"".

September 12, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bethany Bennett

liposuction maybe needed by persons with very slow metabolism as they easily get fat....

July 26, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sar

Credit goes to Julie Bowen. It's great to see a busy mom like her making breastfeeding a priority. It's common knowledge that breastfed babies are far healthier, both while they are breastfeeding and far into their futures. It's less well understood that breastfeeding can benefit mothers, too. The formula industry would like people to think that breastfeeding is exhausting and painful. It's so nice to see a happy, fit, working mother who has simply made breastfeeding twin babies a normal part of her life.

June 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. nicky

There is something very wrong with people when they say that breastfeeding is weird and that we should be using regular milk. It just shows how ignorant these people are. I fed my eldest son for 2 years, the middle one for 2 yrs and my youngest for 3 years, They are all strong healthy young men, who have had very few health issues with allergies etc. It is the most normal natural thing in the world to do and I think BOTTLE FEEDING with "regular" milk is abnormal.

May 21, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • kdc

Some people are not lucky enought to be able to breast feed (or are too buisy with work). And I know several babies (including mine) who have been on a bottle from day one and have no allergies or health issues, they are perfectly healthy. How dare you say the thing that keeps babies who are unable to breastfeed ALIVE 'abnormal' You are very ignorant yourself! If it weren't for formula thousands of babies would die or be mal-nourished.

June 25, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sean

Hm. Breastmilk being used by babies for food. How fascinating. I really wish someone would show a picture of that, because I really cant imagine what it looks like.

Another nail in the coffin of American journalism.

May 20, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Veronica T. Pratt

Weird? What did mothers do before the bottle? It can be painful and it takes a lot of dedication to breastfeed...twins to boot. Congrats.

May 20, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Midwestmatt

This woman is hot. She's even hotter now that I know she's 40.

May 20, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. laurab

I am quite proud to say I've breastfeed both of my kids until they were 19-20 months old each. It is the most natural thing in the world to do for your kids. Thank goodness for the invention of the feeding pillow. You don't have to worry about positions when feeding. The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends up to 2 years. If your baby is having trouble latching on, go see a latching expert. Enjoy

May 20, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. laurab

I am quite proud to say I've breastfeed both of my kids until they were 19-20 months old each. It is the most natural thing in the world to do for your kids. Thank goodness for the invention of the feeding pillow. You don't have to worry about positions when feeding. The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends up to 2 years. If your baby is having trouble latching on, so see a latching expert. Enjoy

May 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Elcurren

If you watched MF last week, Julie was in a somewhat revealing bathing suit that did not showcase her upper body in a positive manner! Kind of looked like she had big implants. Perhaps that was just the milk fililng up!

May 20, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ptownlady

I love her show. She's a class act.

May 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Amanda

Shouldn't they be weening off of breast milk by age 1? That's what my plan with our pediatrician is......

May 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tracey

Well Sandy, breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world. So no it's not TMI. You need to mature.

May 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. C

man she's 40.........she hottest mom on the show by far!!!

May 20, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. person

kids are too old to breastfeed, it's weird. ANd the kids are gonna grow up and find it weird. She can use a pump you know. Or use regular milk.

May 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sandy

TMI!!!!! Not the proper forum for this.

May 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. tbird

Not the best reason I can think of to breastfeed – but still, Yay! This is brave for her. A lot of people think that women who breastfeed one year olds are gypsy's or witches. Anything a celebrity can do to normalize breastfeeding is doing a great thing for families. Plus, she is so funny ! I love her on the show and what a treat to find out she's a gutsy and thoughtful person as well!

May 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. DesertMama

I love this! I breastfed both my kids for 11 months and Julie Bowen is right – they are like little liposuction machines. Good for her for nursing and good for her for speaking so candidly about it on national TV! You go girl!

May 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |