May 20th, 2010

‘American Idol’ voting down 47%

testing captions
testing captions

The ratings aren’t the only thing down this season on “American Idol.”

When Ryan Seacrest announced on Wednesday night that more than 47 million votes had been cast to decide who would be heading to the finale from the trio of Crystal Bowersox, Lee DeWyze and Casey James, the number may have seemed astronomical.

Until fans remember that last season’s Top 3 garnered 88 million votes.

Lots of viewers have complained that this season has been lackluster. In the ratings, the show has even lost an occasional night to ABC's "Dancing with the Stars."

“Idol” has always tightly guarded vote tallies – for instance they never announce X contestant received X amount of votes – but fans may remember that last season Seacrest announced that only 1 million votes out of 88 million separated Kris Allen from Adam Lambert when the pair made it to the top three, along with Danny Gokey.

Allen ultimately won in a victory that was hotly contested by Lambert fans.

1. vakantiehuis

Leuke site!. Er zijn nog weinig goede sites over dit onderwerp te vinden.
    Ben blij met jullie toevoeging!
    Ik kan helaas geen bookmark aanmaken naar marquee.blogs.cnn.com in Firefox. 😦 Weten jullie hoe dit komt?

Groetjes Barbara

February 13, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Judy

Kris's fans at UCA were pumping out the power texts with AT&T help. They cast million and millions of votes last year and blocked Adam and Danny's phones. The new book "American Idol Vote Scam" tells how America is scammed into thinking we pick the winners. On the Idol Tour Adam, Allison, Danny and Matt were more popular than Kris. People are waking up and refusing to vote.

May 30, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Steph

I see no point in voting anymore. I cannot compete with power texters and after last years debacle I don't even want to try. So... I hope Lee enjoys his win. I doubt another female will ever win this show again.

May 26, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Pat

Idol is under contract with Fox for 2 more years. It will carry on without Simon & ratings will continue to fall. Idol producers did this show in. It's a shame. They shouldn't decide who wins. By doing so they waste viewers time & money (texting). That's the truth. And it's not because my favorite got voted off. America's favorite's got voted off year after year, starting with AI's first season. Sure Kelly turned out fine, but the star of season one was Tamayra, then Clay, then Latoya, then Daughtry, it continued all the way to Adam. This year's overlooked contestants were Siobhan & Katie. Good job producers!

May 24, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. DoesItMatter

when it became more about the judges and ryan's babbling then it did about the ones trying to sing, i stopped watching it. that and the stupid voting system. when one person can vote 100 times from the same phone.. thats just idiotic. the judges should use a score card to rate things like vocals, stage presence, audience interaction, etc... then the 'judges' will actually have done something worthwhile other than share their rambling comments which are pretty useless overall.

May 24, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. mds

I haven't watched the last 2 years. The show has run it's course and needs to go away.

May 24, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. lgwelsh1

After seeing Adam Lambert not win last year... The show was over then and Simon knew it. He is no fool, the show has maybe 2 more seasons left.

May 24, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. sugarland, texas

Ellen has not been a good judge. Her comments have been boring and not justified. She doesn't smile and looks upset most of the time.

May 24, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. leileaa

A1 season 8 reached its peak last year, kudos to the super talents of Lambert, Allen, Gokey, Iraheta....no way to go now but downhill..sorry, Bowersocks and others have no star power

May 24, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. A

Voting for the contestants didn't really seem necessary this season. It seemed pretty predictable as to whom would be eliminated next.

May 23, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. frogmandude

The end of American Idol is near and the show must now idol away in the archives of programs that were great fun but now worn out. Let everyone leave happy, thank all for the nice trip it was and move on to the next step to whatever may lie out there. It's my last season for watching American Idol for all the positive reasons and all the negative reasons as they apply to all who watched, sang, judged, won or lost. It was a good ride. Thank-you American Idol!

May 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Micky

They need to get rid of Degeneres, she's an idiot.

May 23, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Roger

It has come down to this, WHO CARES!!

Idol has over stayed its welcome just like Lost.

Thank God Lost is finally dying!!!

May 23, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Loretta

In the immortal words of Randy Jackson: "I don't know... it's just a bit sleepy to me..."

May 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Stephen

One way to improve Idol's ratings and the interest in the show which would relate to more people voting is to bring back Paula Abdul.

May 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Georgio

People are starting to realize, more than ever, that this show isn't about singing. This year really hit it home when super talent Katie Stevens went home before super smiling guy Tim Urban. When that happened, people were like "seriously?" Also, the 'save' is really bad because its saving a person who wasn't 'voted thru' This year, Mike was 'eliminated' and thru reverse osmosis, he was still there while Katie was gone. There were also a few others who left WAY too soon, i'm thinking Lily Scott and a couple others.

May 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dott

I am surprised at all the negative critizism posted here about this show. Yet I am sure many of you will watch a foot ball game and cheer while heads are bashing. That is not entertainment for those who like to see youth do something with their talent instead of prove who is stronger than the next person. To be critical of a program that gives young people a chance to bring their talent to the airwaves and TV is just unacceptable. Think of a young man or woman, such as Lee or Crystal – Lee who was working in a paint store with such a brillant voice hidden. He would have never been discovered, along with all those many others, without American Idol. Thank you American Idol and may you continue indefinitely. I will still be there watching and voting. Hey I even like the judges too. How about that one?

May 23, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. Randy McLeod

Yes, the voting people finally realized that AI might not be back next season, even though they (Fox) says yes. Come on, we are not dumb, first, it was Paula Abdul, now Simon is leaving after this season. Plus bringing his X-Factor show to America. No wonder the voting was down, lol. Doesn't anyone on that show have any common sense?

As for the contestants, blank. Again, no wonder the voting was down.

As for the past seasons, I (personally) was voting from the 6th week to the final.

May 23, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  19. Gary Cost

Ellen in, ratings down. She's not quailified to judge musical talent. All she knows about judging is to say " I agree with Randy ". Wake up Idol. Find a replacement for her while your searching for Simon's replacement......

May 23, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  20. DO ELLIOTT

I DID NOT REALIZE THAT SO MANY AIRHEADS WATCHES THIS SHOW. MOST OF YOU SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN YOUR EDUCATION AT DOLLAR GENERAL UNIVERSITY.

May 23, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  21. @ Tom Halbrooks

Obviously your two degrees in music did not cover grammar, spelling, and punctuation.....sorry to destroy your efforts to appear intelligent, you pedantic idiot.
    By the way-if your musical education makes you so superior, why on earth are you watching American Idol instead of going to the opera and enjoying some real music?

May 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. simon richard

all you losers are trying to critisize the judges....typical dumb americans.if you were that smart or understood music,why are you a stupid nobody and not an acomplished somebody.........as i said typical stupid americans.

May 22, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pockets

The show is O V E R....done like dinner. Time to move on....adios and good byeeee

May 22, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dave in Connecticut

If it is at all possible, they have to get more Adam Lamberts to boost the ratings. Replacing Simon is going to boost the ratings for a short time just to see what the new judge (who ever dares to fill Simon's shoes) is going to be like, but after the curiousity wears off , idol is going to be putting the show in the hands of the contestants, if the contestants are boring (kinda like this season) the ratings will go down unless they get a flashy person like Adam as a contestant. I have no idea who would be as impartial as Simon was, its going to be tough to get the love hate thing going will someone new.

May 22, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tom Halbrooks

The vast majority of great vocalist live and produce within isolated genres. If one can sing effectively Rhythm and Blues, or Pop, or Rock, or Country, or Folk, or Rap (If you include that in music, I do NOT) Then that is enough....why should Idol contestants pour themselves into so many different styles of song. As the judges looked at the last half dozen or so contestants, picking anyone as best is simply saying out of the six fruits in the basket I like the pear best.... ta daaaa! I liked the orange! I like the banana, and I prefer the cherry....Certainly the apple is best....

See they are different, can't say which one is best for America, we have different taste, they found terrifically talented folks....all should make records and enjoy a wonderful career in music.

May 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Tom Halbrooks

The lines are busy for the whole call in period, many people tried but could not get through... I know I did.

I appreciate that Dancing with the Stars has three competent judges, where Idol Judges sound like stupid teenagers on American Bandstand stating why they liked or didn't like a new rock song.

Ever hear the judges mention phrasing, diction, enunciation, dipthongs, tripthongs, cadenza, appogiaturas, grace notes, turns, trills, tessitura, register, distinction of tone quality, intonation, helpful hints for correct vibrato. No what we hear is "Dog it was a little sleepy for me" that is standard for any song slower than 96 beats a minute.
    Ellen, how many syllables can you get out of fire....three Ellen, it is called a tripthong. Simon every song does not start softly and gradually build to a climax at the end. Sorry Pal. The judges are pityful.... Just my opinion, with two degrees in music and a lifetime of pedagogy.

May 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sue

Txgator...I guess you're one of the tards.

May 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Nita

It's not the contestants that turn me off, it's the so call judges. Get rid of all the judges and the show will be wonderfull.

May 22, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  29. tom

BTW – I totally agree with Morgan!

May 22, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  30. tom

as long as Seacrest gets paid directly from Ford there will be AI. Corporate suckers – you have just one choice: turn off and do something useful – but as long there are teenagers with immensly expensive cell phone plans there will be people who'll call to vote. What a waste of time and money. I think I just saw one episode this season and I turned off after the 3rd ford commercial in 20 minutes. If I wanna see this I go to my local Ford Dealer. BTW – what happened to all the glorious career predictions for Kris Allen, Ruben Studdard and I do not know all their names...Fantasia?? Get a life people!

May 22, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  31. Ross

ELLEN SUCKS

May 22, 2010 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  32. Eddie

There was a time when me & family would sit down and watch the show or atleast record it. It all stopped. I could not get myself to watch the show after they got Miley Cyrus as mentor... give me a break !! The show lost its class right then.

May 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Hiram Flektarnsmock

I once saw Tony Romo steal 2 extra ketchup packs at an Orange Julius.

May 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Judi

"Funny. So many real issues in our country and yet this garbage gets the most reader comments. Sure explains why a lot of the issues are even issues in the first place"

Wow, guess you avoided the comment sections on the oil gusher in the Gulf and the Arizona immigration law, among other newsworthy topics. They had 1,000's of responses. So far this story has 52. Kind of blows your "Americans don't care about issues" theory.

May 21, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Fred

This year had to be the worst ever. I am not even going to watch the final show – as I don't care who wins – I never want to hear from anyone who has appeared on this year's show. Plus this year Seacrest has been one huge dull annoying pain in the butt crack. Death to A.I. – long live X-FACTOR!

May 21, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. SouthFloridaOpinion

Funny. So many real issues in our country and yet this garbage gets the most reader comments. Sure explains why a lot of the issues are even issues in the first place.

May 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  37. starzzguitar

All the judges can go. Especially Kara. There should be ONE VOTE per phone number. It was a dire bunch this year, and the truly interesting ones, like Siobhan were trashed by the judges for no reason. Ryan is very annoying with his "How do you feel about...(fill in the blank) questions. Stop it! You can replace him too. I used to like it when they threw them all into a Hollywood Hills mansion and they had to deal with each other, then having to say goodbye and pack up when voted off. Do the producers ever read these posts? They should!

May 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ziggy zoo

Jaden
    Turn your cap locks off dum@$$!

May 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Coey

I used to watch and vote like crazy during past seasons because I actually had a favorite, and wanted to watch and see what they would do each week. This season, the talent was so bad I could not even pick a favorite, and my voting was limited. I agree with most people when they say this seasons is by far the worst, and im sure we all will agree that with simon leaving, the show will lose more viewers. The interest that comes with watching American Idol has been lost, and I highly doubt anything the show does to "change" things up will help bring back viewers.

May 21, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sandy

Last year Adam Lambert fans said they felt the results were rigged, giving Kris Allen the win. Even Kris seemed stunned when he won. Many of them said they would no longer watch the show or vote. Maybe some of them meant it.

May 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ceecee

The show has become stale – time for everyone to move on and out!

May 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Crommy

The show is done. The tension between Seacrest and Simon is old and Kara has gone from hot and quirky to fembot. Randy, really, "Dog, dog, pitchy dog..." coke sip, done. Ellen, what a stretch, enough said.
    Flaws in the system reveal themselves every season...Hicks, Daughtrey, etc.
    Totally rework it or let the ship sink.

May 21, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  43. 1jimmyhoffa

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE TURDS AND NOT WORTH VOTING FOR. AND MANY REAL PEOPLE ARE OUT LOOKING FOR WORK AND DON'T HAVE TIME TO WATCH THE WORLDS WORST KARAOKE SHOW.

May 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. morgan

When slowhand sleepy fall-asleep and wakemeup when its over Kris won over dynamic, crazy, huge-range, take-no-prisoners Adam, the show officially caved in to itself. Kris. Oh yeah, now there's an American that has stage-presence and Idol appeal. HAHAHAHAHAHA! He only won because Conservative American would not let their daughters vote for someone eccentric like Adam. Let's face it – we're no europe – we're about as creatively flexible as a block of cement.

May 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  45. opa

This season is dull and it's hard to get excited about any of the contestants. They are pimping Lee over Crystal right now. Lee's Hallelujah was over produced and he had off key moments. After the hype dies down will we have the lackluster winners of the past in forgettable moments? Crystal is good, but will there be a wide audience for her type of music? This show has jumped the shark.

May 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Anne

I stopped voting when it became clear that (1) the flaw in the system of unlimited votes per person allowed teeny boppers to control the vote results and (2) IA was rigging the voting process so Kris Allen would win when Adam Lambert was clearly the best.

May 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Idea

Last one out turn the lights off. If AI was a person it would be 86 years old. Not much left in the tank. Speaking of Tank its well on its way to Tanking.

May 21, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Just a thought:)

Does anyone else feel that Ryan must be on Coke or something this year? Is is amazingly annoying! As for the contestants, not one of them showed a bit of personality this year, but the best vocals have made it to the top two. Will they actually do anything beyond this, yes probably, but not for long.

May 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Gabor

Something happened which should have never happened. I am not a musician. I like to listen to music, but I have no formal training, no formal exposure to music. Yet, when I listened the first 20 on this season, I told my wife that they can send home 18 out of the 20 and let Lee and "whatshernameSox" (I couldn't even remember her name) play out the final.
    It was THAT obvious that the other 18 was not even in their class.

But WHAT CLASS? With all due respect to Crystal and Lee, neither is really a star material. Far more talented performers from the previous seasons vanished in the thin air.

May 21, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  50. Dott

Maybe the show has a chance to revive itself but only if they allow some contenders in next season that don't look so perfect. They turned away quite a few during auditions that were over weight, a little less than pretty, but had awesome voices. Maybe that was not the reason but looking at the photo above – what do you think? Lee has to win. He is truly what we should view as an American Idol. He is what this show is all about. Clean character, hard working youth who without this show, we would never have known him. That cute crooked smile and the voice is enough for my vote.

May 21, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  51. David

This show is terrible. Real musical talent takes hard work and dedication to develop. These people will never have long careers.

May 21, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  52. Naked truth

I like that photo of the Divine Dozen.

May 20, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  53. ellen

My reduced desire to watch Idol comes from way too many commercials and way too much "chatter" from Ryan. All the judges looked bored this season, not just Simon. Oh, and the talent was pretty bad. I thought Big Mike and Crystal were the best but lately it seems as though Crystal is screaming too much and her music has lost feeling.

May 20, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Rebecca

I loved the finale last year. Unintentionally, I had agreed to a speaking engagement on the night of the finale, where I was the main speaker to a large group. I kept looking at my watch, finally cut my speech short, and whisked out before there were any questions because I wanted to get home! As it was, I missed Kris' duet with Keith and had to purchase it later on iTunes. When Kris won, I was so excited, I jumped up and down and screamed like I was at the Superbowl. Weird? Probably. But the season was just that thrilling. This year I'm tuning in to the finale to watch Kris' performance. I've followed the season but there has been something "off" all year long and no one has made me want to vote. Best wishes to Crystal and Lee, however. They're doing their best in a difficult situation. I do hope Crystal wins.

May 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  55. chris

am i the only one that can't stand ryan seacrest??

May 20, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Cindy G.

You know, everyone complains but we all watch anyway because we really do like what AI is all about. Regardless of the amount of votes, stars have been born over the years. We all got it right with the final two this year. I'm for Lew. He may not show a lot of emotion but I really think that he is so overwhelmed – look at his reaction when he went home. If he wins it will not ever go to his head – he will just continue to get better. So, just shut up with all the bad comments and
    have fun watching the finale next week.

Don't think that it will be good for AI to have Simon leave – he is a huge part of the show.

May 20, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  57. stacyz

By the way, I liked both Adam and Kris but my favorite contestant last season was Danny Gokey.

May 20, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. stacyz

Adam Lambert pretty much ruined the show unintentionally last year with his major theatrical performances. This isn't his fault; he's had a lot of experience in theatre. It makes it harder for other contestant who are there just to sing. Perhaps the show should put a limit to special lighting and backup singers in performances because it does distract from the actual singing.

That being said, Adam did deserve to win over Kris Allen. There was mention of how AT&T employees went to Kris's home state to teach people how to "super" dial in to vote for him. Why wasn't there an investigation into this?

Because they wanted to avoid Adam Lambert coming out later and being their first openly gay American Idol winner.

May 20, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  59. IdolUsedToBeGood

Maybe voting is down because this season is terrible.
    My dog has more talent. Put a fork in American Idol...trsut me....it's done!!!

May 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Foshee

Becaue it's a STUPID show ! I only watched for two seasons – it was the same 'ol thing – it's rigged, pre determined who will win. And really out of what 10 seasons who has really made it big?? just two of the them Carrie Underwood, Kelli Clarkston ( Hudson didn't win) It's a lame show with lame judges, nothing changes from season to season –

May 20, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. bill

A couple of reasons for the viewer decline. First of all, the show has been on for years and it will naturally decline. Secondly, though I love Ellen, Paula made the show. I really miss the original crew.

May 20, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Victor

Ameircan Idol should get cancelled once Simon leaves. Show will never be the same without him. look for an even bigger ratings plunge next season.

May 20, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  63. missbetty

I agree with most of the comments here about this season. I'm not saying that the season 9 contestants don't have talent...it's just that the whole season has been lackluster in comparison to previous seasons, especialy compared to my favorite season 8 which was at least for me, one of the most exciting ones. We watched Adam shock and amaze us each week with his brilliant talent; Adorable Kris got better and better each week and continued to surprise us by making every song unique and heartfelt; Allison stunned us with her powerhouse vocals and raw talent; Even though Danny's stage presence could be a bit goofy his singing voice was really really good; Matt had something special about him and he drew you in. I don't feel a connection with this group this year and I honestly miss this. I loved the finale last year with Kris and Adam. I find myself watching youtube videos of last season...oh how I miss season 8...and Kris and Adam!

May 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Ron

There should even be more votes this year then any other year, due to there are more iPhones / Smart Phone. With an iPhone you dial the number, or numbers, then type vote and hit send. Then all you have to do is copy the word vote and paste it, then hit send. You can also send vote to several numbers at at the same time with one send. Then from then on all you have to do is PASTE, SEND, PASTE, SEND, PASTE, SEND... and so on. You could send 1000 entries really fast for your favorite artists. I've sent 5 votes at a time with one send. So with this technology there should be more votes this season then in the past, not less.

May 20, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Kathy

In my opinion votes and viewship are down this season because:

1. Lackluster talent pool this year
    2. "Textgate" from Season 8

May 20, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mary XYZ

I watched American Idol last evening, and I have to say that Lew
    took the show. I hope he wins, his voice is so pleasing to listen to. He sings such a different aray of songs and does not "blast" the song.
    Don't like the yelling, seems redundant to me. For me, Crystal's music all sounds the same.
    I would like to see them get Sharon Osborn as one of the judges for next year. Ellen turned out ok, but would like to see Kara go along with Simon. I like Randy too.
    OK LEW, lets see a HOME RUN!!!!!!! Rooting for you.

May 20, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Anna

Now perhaps those 40 something million people will vote in the real election!

May 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  68. R.

Crystal won American Idol the first time she walked on stage.

May 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jeb41

I am not watching American Idol again. Judges have such an influence on the voting. AI needs to work on the production, voting procedures and overall script. It is really bad this year. Neither Crystal or Lee will sound good on the radio but it seems it is better not to win – look at daughtry then look at taylor hicks.
    American Idol you have to do something to hold the interest.

May 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jatelle

Above should have read: People now truly believe it's better NOT to win, and not have the stigma and expectations thrust upon them that the winners have.

May 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Jatelle

People have stopped voting because they feel the shows producers have no respect for their choices. Season five winner Taylor Hicks won by a large margin, never in the bottom 3, and the show producers decided to promote their favorite Daughtry over Taylor. Same thing happened in Season 8,where Lambert got far more promotion over winner Kris Allen. now people believe it's truly better to win and not have the stigma and expectations.

You reap what you sow.

May 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  72. kevin

It was down because the talent pool is down.
    the final 12 was pitifull. I agree with the final 2 and I think Crystal is the only true artist from this year.
    But the rest were boring.

May 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Joyce

Isn't it obvious that American Idol is responsible for it's own downfall?
    People are not interested anymore because this year has been a joke. I don't think it canget back to what it used to be.

Isn't it strange that votes could decline so drastically within some few months from the previous season?

They started the season with an agenda in mind. 19 sent Randy to do all round press before theseason began bashing the winner and runner-up from last year, Kris and Adam. He really suprised a lot of us because how on earth could you say they are disappointing and that girls are more successful?

They forget that things are not like they used to be in the music industry anymore. Even wll established artists can't sell albums anymore. We are in the track sales eraand that is why you see artists selling millions of tracks but can't even sell 200k albums.

They wanted a girl like Taylor Swift, according to Simon forgetting that Taylor is surviving the industry because she built her fanbase when things were okay and so will definately carry her fans along.

I really pity the one who wins this year because he/she will be lucky to sell like any of the S8 top3. That's just the way it works because it's the fans u gain from the show who will carry you till you gain more from outside the idol audience.

Look at the exposure that Adam for example got on the show and after, he's still not platinum and Kris the winner hasn't even gone gold.
    Yeah, they all had twice the votes this year trooping in and their summer concerts were sold out mostly.

Welcome to the world, Crystal and Lee.

May 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  74. LA

MK – your comments are right on the money. The best seasons are the ones where the audience favorites (Clay, Taylor, and Kris) were not beaten down by the obvious partiality to try and force a producer's choice (Ruben, Daughtry, and Lambert) win. Those season are then always followed by seasons that lack drama and lots of outstanding talent because the producers get even more controlling and manipulative. If they want to know what's wrong with their show – that's it. Plain and simple.

May 20, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Just A Thought

Seriously folks, the judges have nothing to do with the singers arrangements! It was Lee's decision to have the chior as backup. It was the same way a few ago when he had the bagpiper, Lee's decision! Not Simon or any other judge! All the singers have this option, there was no hidden agenda!

May 20, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  76. wanda

My family of 4 would all sit and watch together,when idol first came on and took part in voting. Over the years its just not the same ,now no one in my family watch at all. I think its now time to put out of its misery.

May 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  77. MK

Last year was exciting because the two who the judges picked to be the top 2 were usurped by the dark horse. It was exciting to watch someone who got no exposure whatsoever from the show get better and better each week until he started to nail the highest amount of votes and eventually win. Last year was what American Idol should have been like. The only other time it came close was season 1 when Kelly Clarkson took the crown....and in Season 5, when Taylor Hicks, despite all the dislike by Simon took the win.

This year the voters didn't have much choice. They went with the flow of the judges because there was no one overly exciting to root for.

I don't think Simon leaving will have an impact. I personally can't tolerate Simon. But then again I can't tolerate Randy or Kara because none of them know what they're talking about. The show showed it's true colors during Season 7, when Paula Abdul critiqued Jason Castro's second song BEFORE he even sang it proving that the show was scripted to bus the ones they wanted gone. The show lost it's legitimacy (not that it ever was) right then and there.

If it weren't for such a dynamic year last Season (8), the ratings would be less then. But last year, there were so many talented singers, Allison, Matt, Danny and Kris....and that's why it was such a hit.

May 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  78. FRAN

Casey is cute but that is pretty much where it ends he will do great in a bar band. Good luck to all of them!

May 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  79. FRAN

They got the Top 2 correct my vote next week will be for Crystal i feel she has been on target since her audition she has remained true to herself and her style. She is truely an artist.
    GO CRYSTAL!

May 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Nellie Bly

They only put through 3 or 4 decent singers this year and they wonder why viewership and voting is down???

May 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  81. mainehunter

How many votes out of the 47 million were from the same phone? 20 million?
    American Idol, get it right or get off the air. The show is a joke, talent means nothing. Texting means everything.
    Oh, and the judges suck.
    I was a fan until Siobhan left. I refuse to watch ever again.

May 20, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  82. roadking

Another season FINALLY coming to an end! I guess the best two made it not, that Casey qualified. Casey had no real vocal range in his register. There were better singers during the season than Casey but, Lee and Cyrstal should be the top two. After Simon departs I'm certain American Idol will be doomed.

May 20, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  83. krubby

jax,

top to bottom I agree with your comments 100%. you nailed it all, from the tard comment to the facts about this season. can I just say ditto to your thoughts

May 20, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  84. Jax

"Tards" Anyone who makes a comment calling someone a "tard" probaby fits that bill themselves.

Also, in reference to this article. The contestants were below par, the performances dull or contrived – Hallelujah, talk about trying to force an off key-Lee moment! I'm surprised Simon didn't get the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or you know, hire gosh darn real life angels to fly from the rafters!

In the end the votes tell the tale. And this low vote count says that nearly twice as many people cared about the contestants last year. This year not so much. I think the viewers were tired of the judges telling us we were eating filet mignon when it tasted quite a bit like liver.

May 20, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  85. jaden

KRIS AND ADAM HAVE ALOT MORE FANS AND THATS WHY THERE IS A ON GOING WAR BETWEEN THE TWO FAN BASES MAYBE AMERICA AND IDOL GOT IT RIGHT I VOTED FOR KRIS ALLEN AND I WOULD VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN AND THE TRUTH IS GOING TO BE A HIT

May 20, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  86. Txgator

I actually like Adam but most of his fans are Tards...

May 20, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |