May 19th, 2010

The mother of all 'Glee' episodes

I am afraid.

I so wanted Idina Menzel’s character to be Rachel’s mother that when it was revealed on Tuesday night’s show that she is, I had a moment of “Yes!” followed by, “Wait, what if it's a trick?"

Or a dream, as that was the theme of the episode.

Right out of the gate I loved, loved, loved Neil Patrick Harris. During a conference call with Joss Whedon, who directed this week’s episode, he discussed how much fun it was to work on the show and that completely came through in the final result.

Harris’ Bryan Ryan character had it all: timing, great singing and a crazy chemistry with Jane Lynch’s character, Sue Sylvester. You have "a secret room upstairs" just like Letterman, Sue? Really? Thanks for that mental image!

It was wonderful to get to see more of Artie’s story, which gave us more screen time for him and his girlfriend Tina. I wanted to cheer when he was up out of the wheelchair doing “The Safety Dance.” That was some epic television right there, with the way it was shot like a flash mob.

But back to Rachel and her “mom.” Menzel and Lea Michele, who plays Rachel, are both Broadway veterans and they KILLED singing “I Dreamed a Dream.”

Please, oh please let them really be mother and daughter for true. I need more of the two of them together.

And if I wasn't already in a Gleek frenzy, next week is the Lady Gaga episode. I wonder if they will make the piano player (who I had the pleasure of interviewing recently) dress up!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. Tillie Gellinger

Great, accurate blog. 🙂

August 7, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. nancyK

Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson would be awesome dads for Rachel and think about all of the added exposure for next season of idol. Plus, it would be keeping it in the music family and also "in network." Haha

May 26, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. dj

Joss Whedon the director of this show, is one of the Top directors, writers working today. He created Buffy the vampire slayer back in the late 90's. He knows how to tell a story and to use a camera to make the actors look incredible. I hope his association will continue on. We need to see the genius of this man on TV and in Films.

May 22, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SY

Neil Patrick Harris was awesome. Felt I didn't get enough of him singing. Bring back more of NPH!

May 22, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Holly Golightly

Just had to say again how great this episode was! I cried with the emotional feeling that "I Dreamed a Dream" brought out of me. It's amazing how much Rachel and her "mom" resemble each other! Great casting! Loved "Dream On" , "Safety Dance," and "Dream a little Dream"! It is wonderful as said above that we can see Broadway quality performances on TV! Thanks for great entertainment!

May 20, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SamFan

Rachel's fathers -Sam Harris (what a set of pipes that man has!) and Wayne Brady!

May 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jennifer

Very well said Melody and I couldn't agree more. I will go on to say that we have created a society that is constantly looking for reasons to be offended, its pretty sickening. I say, lighten up everybody!

May 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Melody

@footwork61 I think you're part of a relatively small group of people who feel that way. Yes, they stretched a bit to allow Kevin McHale the chance to show off his dance moves but it did find it when Artie's dream of becoming a dancer. Why should someone handicapped feel guilty for wanting to be fully able-bodied? That desire doesn't make that person any less noble. You should check out the episode where Artie sings "Dancing With Myself" since that ep. is all about bringing some attention to Artie and his feelings. Also, you should note that none of the characters get as much solo time as Lea Michele (Rachel). For example, we only heard Santana actually sing for once a couple weeks ago so should we make this a Latina issue as well? Regardless, I think Glee's creators are starting to pay more attention to what the fans what so I fully expect for other characters including Artie to get their share of the limelight too.

May 20, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. footwork61

This was the best episode. the Idina and Lea duet ripped my heart out.

I love almost everything about Glee except Artie.

My personal feeling is that the way they are handling his story is extremely disrespectful to the physically challenged. First of all, there must have been an actual physically-challenged actor to cast in the role. There are hundreds in SAG. I know, I know that people without challenges can play people with challenges, but when there is a way to do it more authentically, I feel they should have tried.

Some of the best scenes ever in the series have been with Jane Lynch and Robin Trocki, who plays Sue's sister Jeane. Stunningly poignant.

But with Artie, the only way they could think of to give him his big moment was to negate anything noble they built in his character. That number just reinfoced stereotypes that, unless you are full able-bodied, you can't be the star. They really, really couldn't find a way to tell his story without disregarding his chair? Really?

May 20, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Katina

I loved the songs that were featured in this episode and this might be one of my favorite episodes. Neil Patrick Harris and Matthew Morrison sang "Dream On," and I wished that Harris would return in future Glee episodes. I never knew he had an amazing voice. Even if it's freaky that Lea Michele and Idina Menzel look so alike, they sang beautifully in "I Dream a Dream." I also love how this show does not leave behind any of the talented artists. Kevin McHale (Artie) got to sing two songs, "Safety Dance," and "Dream a Little Dream of Me." Artie has to be one of my favorite Glee characters and he really does have a great voice. Also, he can dance! I'm so excitied that next week is Lady Gaga. Haha. I'm such a Gleek. (:

May 20, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Georgia

What a marvellously talented duo! And the "Safety Dance" was infectious too. The cast and crew that work on this show should feel very proud they make quality broadway entertainment availible to every home in this country (and elsewhere) for FREE! I'm a long way from Broadway, and I've never been one to get on the stage, but who knows? Maybe I'll try my hand at community theatre. It's never too late!

May 20, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. Heather

This was by far the best episode yet. Idina and Lea were perfectly matched on that song and I can't listen to it without crying. The Safety Dance was just brilliant. The Glee team never fail to amaze me on their creativity with song choice and theater numbers. I totally believe Taye could pull off being one of Rachel's dads, it would make everything full circle. And I so want more Jesse!!! I could listen to Jonathan Groff all day and I melt everytime I see his yummy face. I really like the Jesse character no matter what his intentions started out being. Bring him back!

May 20, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. judy

They were incredible singing I dreamed a dream it was the best I have heard that song in a long time. I knew they had to be mother and daughter on the show they look exactly alike. Great job !!

May 20, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. LR Rose

Adore Taye! But it would be awesome to have generic actors play Rachel's dads and develop the story down the road where Taye is Rachel's uncle, and Indina ends up with Rachel's uncle. 😉 I just think that would be too cute b/c Taye and Indina are just an amazingly talented and beautiful couple.

I am addicted to this show. Love Jesse but am ready for some more of the Rachel/Finn flirting – although I would like a few more 'Hello' moments with Jesse.

May 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ericka

Truly I am a big GLEEK and can specifically remember in first season where Rachel closes her locker and shows a snapshot of her 2 dads...go back to that episode and unfortunately, we will see her dads.... 😉 I am all for Taye Diggs and John Stamos though!! LOVED LOVED LOVED this episode....

May 19, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. tara

Those two are the best mother daughter combo EVER.. It is so unbelieveable how much they favor. Two great voices also. I LOVE GLEE. I even have my husband the ESPN fanatic watching it. To bad I have to back and forth between it and Lost.. I missed The Safety Dance number. After this week it's all GLEE will miss Lost though..

May 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SF

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Gleek over 40. I really love that show. It's so fresh and different from anything else on television. Glad to see that someone else caught the thing about her fathers (one being white and one being black). Last night's episode was wonderful. I especially love Idina Menzel. From the first time I saw Lea Michelle(Rachel), I said that she and Idina had to be related. I guess they are in TV land at least. It would be hilarious for Taye Diggs to play one of her dads.

May 19, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Julie

No that wasn't Rachel's Dad in Run Joey Run, that was Sandy, he was in charge of the Glee club before Will but Rachel had him fired (he doesn't know that though).

May 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Alice

One of Rachel's dads is featured on her "run joey run".

May 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. MUSICMAMA

I am a 60 yr. old woman who is hooked on Glee! I loved last night's episode because it had more singing and dancing than other episodes that focused more on plot. Idina Menzel is a perfect match for rachel' s mother and Neil Patrick Harris really surprised me that he was so good. I love Matthew Morrison and wish he had more opportunity to show off his singing and dancing skills. He's so professional and good! Way to go Glee. I too liked seeing Artie sing and dance. He usually gets shunted off into the background, and it's good for the audience to know he's not really a paraplegic. Let's hear it for Glee–the best musical television to come along–better than Am IDOL!

May 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jim

Doogie has come along way... Watch Glee Episodes

May 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Omaha Reader

Can't get enough from this show... More 'Glee' please!...

May 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Holly Golightly

Finally! p.s. John Stamos should totally play Rachel's dad! Delish!

May 19, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Holly Golightly

Ok, cnn will not post my comment...is it because I said s*x? This episode was beyond great! "I Dreamed a Dream" was fantabulous! Loved Neil and "Dream On", as well as his hilarious scene with Jane. Keep on rockin!

May 19, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Summer

This show just keeps getting better and better. Ryan Murphy is a Master in getting the right people for these performances. Lea's and Idina's performance was amazing. DREAM ON was AWESOME and left you breathless and wanting more. I think Jessie started off as being a "mole" but now he is falling for Rachel. I love those two together. Jessie is outstanding, his smile and twinkle of his eyes draw you into him. The Dance scene was unreal, all I can say is WOW. I'm going to throw my 2 cents in with nominating the Dancing with the Stars Judge, Bruno Tonioli and SPIKE LEE. Now this would be a great duo!! All I can say is to GLEE is keep up the great work, you make us wanting more and more each week. Love you guys!!!

May 19, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sarah

Luka – in episode 1, when Rachel was talking about her two gay dads, they showed a picture of them in her locker, and one was black and one was white. That's what made the whole "the mixed their sperm and fertilized the egg with a turkey baster and to this day, we still don't know which one is my real dad" so funny.

I agree that "I Dreamed a Dream" was spectacular. Lea and Idina singing together are just magic. Neil Patrick Harris was perfect too. This episode was just fantastic on every level. One of the best, if not THE best, of the entire series so far, IMO.

May 19, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Moose

Interesting that Rachel's desire to meet her mother takes center stage over meeting her gay fathers....Was something missing in her upbringing? Or are the gay fathers the Carlton the Doormen of "Glee"?

May 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Luka

I Dreamed a Dream was stellar–the best performance of the series. Even tops Lea's Don't Rain on My Parade.

As for Rachel's dads – I don't remember the race of her dads being mentioned. How about Nathan Lane and Robin Williams?

May 19, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lee

Safety Dance – absolutely spectacular. I watched it at least five times. Dream On – awesome, awesome, awesome. First track I listened to on Vol. 3. I Dreamed a Dream – I actually teared up on a Rachel song! Wort part of last night's episode – the appalling scarcity of Kurt. Looks like next week will be better. GaGa!

May 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jennifer

I'm with Michael, Taye Diggs and John Stamos all the way, where do we sign them up?

May 19, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Charlie

To April...so wuts ur suggestion then since rachel has pouting lips shud her dad be mike tyson or still john stamos who definitely has some similarity with rachel

May 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. April

fan

May 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. April

Charlie?? i know who you are! how dare you, you havent even seen the episode! your confusing the viewing public!, you're not a bad fan, you are a crazy

May 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Michael

Clearly, if Idina Menzel is "mom," one of the "dads" is Taye Diggs

May 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Em

Best Glee episode EVER! I was cheering at the TV throughout!

The Safety Dance has got to be one of the coolest and most "together" number they've ever done on the show. Very cool.

Rachel's mom HAS to be Idina Menzel's character! It was meant to be! I can't wait to see who they'll eventually reveal someday (I hope) to be her two dads! My vote is for J. Timberlake and Nathan Lane....random!

May 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jennifer

Ha Ha I must have missed that, bad fan, I'll have to go back and re watch it. Okay then, Vin Deisel or The Rock , he totally rocks in a tutu!

May 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Charlie

If Rachel's has 2 dads..pick should be john stamos or P.Diddy

May 19, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bacabmk

Well, not both Stamos and Saget. Remember? One of her dads is black, the other white. And to this day they STILL don't know which is her real dad...Episode 1.

May 19, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jennifer

I am dying to meet Rachel's fathers, who,I think ,should be played by John Stamos and Bob Saget....how halarious would that be!! Full House indeed.

May 19, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  40. Dave Yaeck

This episode was brilliant. We now see that Jesse is (somewhat) jerking Rachael's chain. We see that Sue will go to any lengths to show the depths of her lowness... And we now know what we did before the second half of the season started that Idina Menzel is Rachel's mom. I'm on pins and needles wondering how this is gonna end.

As far as NPH. WOW!!! This was one of the episodes that I looked forward to and they did not let me down.

This show just keeps getting better and better!!!

May 19, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  41. stephanie

Awesome Glee!! I was actually hoping for Les Mis duet between the guys too – that would have been great as well but I guess we can't do too much Les Mis. I want more of Idina singing!!

May 19, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  42. Becky

THAT MUST TRULY BE RACHELS MOTHER IN REAL LIFE. THEY COULD BE TWINS! LOVED NEIL PATRICK HARRIS. HE IS AWESOME IN ANYTHING HE DOES

May 19, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |