May 19th, 2010

Jane Lynch: Newsweek writer entitled to his opinion

Oh, go ahead and let him have his opinion, says Jane Lynch.

The actress, who is engaged to her longtime girlfriend Lara Embry, has a different take on the Newsweek piece, “Straight Jacket,” that says that gay actors can’t convincingly play straight. That dustup sparked “Glee” creator Ryan Murphy and occasional guest-star Kristin Chenoweth to release statements condemning the piece; the writer of the piece, Ramin Setoodeh, has since agreed to visit with Murphy and his writing team.

But Lynch, who said she’s happy that Murphy and Chenoweth stood up, has a varying opinion of Setoodeh.

“The thing is, actors are actors: You can’t play gay anymore than you can play somebody who’s Catholic,” Lynch told Entertainment Weekly.

“Aaron Sorkin wrote a wonderful thing in the Huffington Post. I don’t think you have to slap somebody down for making an opinion that you don’t agree with," Lynch said. "But I do think what Kristin and Ryan did was so important, and I’m glad that they said it. It doesn’t mean, ‘Off with [Setoodeh's] head.’ But I’m very glad, and I thought it was very heroic what the two of them did.”

1. Ella Jay

cary grant wasn't gay. but yes, folks like tom cruise have been playing straight for many, many years. kudos to jane and her buddies. jane is all class. i never knew she was gay until she got engaged, but i think she seems a wonderful person, so kudos to her for her happy life.

May 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim

Of course a gay personal can play straight...they're actors aren't they ?
    Watch Glee

May 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LEE

Will Truman was played by a straight man on Will and Grace.

May 19, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joe

Tom Cruise plays straight guys all the time! That should prove everyone wrong!

May 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin

All generalizations are wrong.... except this one.

May 19, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CB

Sorry, Cary Grant wasn't gay. After I read Kenneth's comment, I did a little research, and its just a rumor that was circulating after his death.

May 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carol

I think this guy may have been talking about some gay people who just have such gay mannerisms that it is obvious what their life style is. I'm talking about the voice, and certain hand movements they cannot seem to help. It doesn't help if your trying to play straight.

May 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gh

Tom Cruise has been covering it up for years.

May 19, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alex

There are many examples of gay and lesbian actors playing straight perfectly fine, to the point where the revelation that they were gay was a complete surprise. Exhibit A has to be Rock Hudson. He fooled fans for years and even in retrospect I don't see anything in his performances that suggests he was gay. That said, there are individual actors and actresses who can't pull it off, but as a blanket statement it's patently wrong. Just like saying straight actors can't play gay (which I'm sure is news to fans of Brokeback Mountain).

May 19, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JA

Cary Grant was most definitely gay

May 19, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Denizen Kate

I look forward to the day when it just doesn't matter.

May 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CB

Side Note: Cary Grant was not gay.

May 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nicole

Kenneth May 19th, 2010 12:22 pm ET

Gay actors can't play straight? Rock Hudson did it for years. So did Cary Grant, Tyrone Power, Richard Chamberlain and Robert Reed.

THIS, THANK YOU.

May 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kenneth

May 19, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. debbie

I t hink she's absolutely right. We'd all be much better off if we simply allowed everyone to their own thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc without feeling threatened by them in some way. And that pertains to everything: Abortion, Discrimination, you name it. Don't expect everyone to agree with you – and don't need everyone to agree – I think that's one of the keys to happiness (not to mention world peace).

I don't personally agree that "gay actors can't convincingly play straight." The job of an actor is to suspend "reality" for that period of time and become whatever character they are portraying. There are some amazing actors out there who do an amazing job.

May 19, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. Klaark

I had to read somewhere she's gay. Didn't pick it up from the show, so I'm going to have to say the idea a gay person can't play a straight character convincingly (and the other way around) is completely bogus.

May 19, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |