May 19th, 2010

'Idol's' Archuleta turns author

He hasn’t lived a very long time, but that hasn’t stopped David Archuleta from writing his memoir.

“Chords of Strength” goes on sale June 1 and tells the story of the life, thus far, of the season seven “American Idol” runner up.

A press release about the book says that in it, “David shares with readers the amazing journey he went through to prove himself, and what he learned about life and faith along the way.”

“Arch,” as friends and fans call the now 19-year-old, started singing at a young age. At age 11 he appeared on “The Jenny Jones Show” and by 13 he performed on “Star Search.”

He was 16-years-old when he made it all the way to the final two on “Idol,” a standing which won him scores of adoring fans.

He displays plenty of love in his book for the show that introduced him to the world, and says he is grateful for the opportunities he found thanks to “Idol.”

“I was harder on myself than the judges ever were,” Archuleta said. “I thought I’d be lucky if there was one person out there watching on TV who might be affected in some tiny way by my singing. If I could accomplish only that, I’ve done my job.”

1. lct

What a role model for our youth! Yes this is what our youth needs is a memoir by a young man to share how he's able to stay grounded, humble, and respectful and yet experience all the success he's had! I wish we could clone him!

May 22, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeffr

David's ability to "plant his two feet on the stage" and sing, like so few are able today, his character, demeanor, morals, are some of the things that I admire about David. And certainly his status as a role model, he didn't even try to be, he just is by being himself. I've learned a lot from this 17, 18, and now 19 year old. I'm proud to be counted among his fans, which run the gamut of every age range. Can't say that about many 19 year olds in the entertainment biz. Looking forward to what he has to say in his book.

May 21, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. violet4ever

Kathy – why would you feel embarrassed for David if you read it? He wrote it himself. He wrote what he wanted to write about and he hopes it will inspire some readers to work towards overcoming their own challenges in life.

May 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kathy

He seems like such a nice boy, but I think I would feel embarrassed for him if I were to read his memoir.

May 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cassidy

I have been a fan of David's since he sang "Imagine" on AI on Season 7. David is a fantastic talent, wonderful human being and a role model to people of all ages. I'm excited to read his book and also to purchase his next album. Love him!!

May 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mmk

David is a musical prodigy that has overcome much in his life. I am looking forward to reading what he has to share with us.

May 20, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Portia11

Celexa Publishing has a line of young authors intended for young readers, David agreed to write about his life so far. If you don't
    admire him or his music, you would NOT want to buy this book.
    Daniel, you've got your American Idol contestants confused, David
    is definitely not the runner-up that has enjoyed corporate PR, but
    thanks, you've given his fans a great laugh.

May 20, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. a fan

Iam laying bets that the david haters did not have milk on their Wheaties once again.
    Dang guys that yellow stuff just does not taste good on your Wheaties.

May 20, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. Becca

why are haters men? hmm, maybe unsatisfied with their own lives? and someone says on the do not read list, they read this article about him, caught YOUR interest.. why did you even post here? hmm

No i don't work for a PR firm. David has many many fans which I have met in concerts and fansites. Proud of this young man, doing something in his life, following his dreams, inspiring many people. Congratulations to hum. will be waiting for my signed copy, Hope he comes to sacramento on his book tour. This city needs some inspiration.

May 20, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ashley R.

I'm so proud of David. He's finally getting the chance to tell people his story about the struggles he's had and how he came to love music. I can't wait for this!

May 20, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. angelofdja

I'm not too proud to say that I have already been inspired by David Archuleta. Who'd-a-thunk at 50 years YOUNG a 19 year old could inspire me? If his book can make me laugh and smile like I have been since following this classy young man's career, than I can't wait to read it!

May 19, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. gracie

Jeff and Derek,

Surveys say that those who make gay comments are either gay themselves or wish him to be gay so that he fails. He said in interviews his interest is in girls.

May 19, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Riza

Why can't some people just accept the fact that a young man such as David can be a role model through his memoirs and singing?
    I do not even remember if I did anything worthwhile when I was 19. Sure, I went to school and made grades that horrified my parents; went to parties and learned how to drink and smoke, etc..etc.

He hasn't hurt anymore, never been critical of others and has remained humble...so why can't we be supportive?

May 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jessica

I think David Archuleta is a tremendously talented person. I'm so excited to read his book– I think it will be terrific!

May 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. violet4ever

Daniel – If you think these comments sound like corporate PR, then you must be unfamiliar with David Archuleta and his fans (and his management and record company which do little to publicize him). David has fans of all ages and religions all over the world. And we are fans of both his music and the fine person he is, especially at his young age. He's humble, kind, honest, charitable, hardworking and always himself. He's a great role model for people of all ages, and he makes us happy. He inspired me to be a kinder and more charitable person. He makes me proud to be a human being. I am just one of his adult fans.

May 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. misty

would that make you happy jeff thompson – are you one of those folks who wish he were gay, to satisfy your fantasies, heh. he's fine to us in any way he is, or what people project on him to be.

May 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. kaylin

i get it rob – there are pictures included too if reading proves to be too difficult 4 you :-)

May 19, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. finola

no daniel – they are fans who like his material and what he's about – be it sung or written. why is that so hard to grasp... it's what fans do – offer support.

May 19, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. finola

haterz to the left – let him tell his story, and let the public decide if they want to read it... from initial reports, there is very strong interest in this book. he has a story many people old and young may be able to relate to, so let him go for it. sure beats sitting around on blogs trying to flame those who really are trying to do something positive with their lives.

May 19, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Daniel

Is it me or does a majority of the comments in this section scream "corporate PR machine"?

May 19, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cobby

David is a very strong, positive, and up-beat person even when times are hard. I will be interested to see how he is able to keep this positive outlook. He doesn't dwell on the negative and always seems to find something to be happy and smile about. He believes in helping and caring about others. Yes, he is young, but I really can't wait to read this book. He is a breath of fresh air in this cynical world.

May 19, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sure

"David is a remarkable young man, wise beyond his years." He knows as much as any 20-year-old.

May 19, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rob - Australia

on my "Not to read" list :-)

May 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mi

I think all this celebrities teenagers has some experiences to share, after all their lives are not the average life of a teen, at this time they have more life experiences than many of us to write a book. In some way they were forced to mature taking big decisions to fill their dreams , but at same time they still childs, feeling and acting like kids, with fears , happy and sad moments too, trying to live a normal life in very difficult and exigent business. Some of them are talking about bulling, self-esteem problems and their unique perception of their careers. I think that this David Archuleta memoir will be interesting to read and learn how his mind work to assimilate all the little challenges on his 10 years already of career.

May 19, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Muy

I guess it is quite exceptional for a 19 year old to write a memoir; but David is exceptional and so I'm not surprised why he got asked to write about his young life. I am looking forward to reading his book. I read that he struggled with stage fright and then with vocal paralysis. He may be young but I have watched his interviews on youtube and he really has so much depth and maturity at a young age. For doubters, you can search on youtube using the key words: "david archuleta women's conference". He was asked by Senator Hatch to give a speech at this conference. It's in 6 parts. These videos will show you that things don't come easy for him but he does his best anyway. It may not be good enough for everyone but at least he has the guts to try. I'm sure this book was a challenge to write but I think he saw an opportunity to share what's important to him and grabbed it with both hands.

May 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Archie fan

Star Search, now that was a show! Does anyone here remember Sam Harris singing "Over the Rainbow"? Wow. I really liked David Archuletta on AI. I was rooting for him to the end. When it was down to the two Davids... I was disappointed he didn't win.

May 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Pamela

Anxious for David's book, he has a very introspective nature and is a very positive, inspirational person. Also anxiously awaiting his new album, which should be out in a couple of months!

May 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Rob

Young people today need inspiration from other young people- y'know: "Hey i had doubts about myself but i persevered..."....Especially when it comes to expressing your creativity.
    If you've got something to share I say share it now, don't wait.

May 19, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Lisa

I think anyone who has lived thru the American idol machine and the"powers that be" behind that show has a story to tell!!!

May 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. abbie

Jim and Jeff -having a bad day at Burger King again?

I personally loved David Archuleta on Idol and will buy this book. David's recent appearance on AI reminded me just how talented and beautiful he is and how much I missed him (especially compared to this year's group. Who really cares which one wins and I'd rather put my money towards David's book than anything recorded from the final three!).

May 19, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Marnie

I"m sure it will be a very churning, tortured, and fascinating account of his life so far.

May 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Derek

I thought the same thing, will he address the fact that he is gay? I really don't think a 19 year old has been on the planet long enough for memoirs. I know many 50 year olds that haven't been through enough.

May 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jeff thompson

Is he coming out of the closet?

May 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jim

To Leesha 5:45 PM –
    Your standards are very low. You need help. Get a life.

May 19, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mike Mercury

Don't worry Bristol Palin is also working on her first book. No word if she's writing it or reading it????

May 19, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. yolanda

I am so ecstatic that finally the book Chord of Strength is out soon. I have followed David since Idol days and for me, he is what a celebrity should be – good person with a kind heart and compassion , a good role model especially for the youth of today. It would be so nice to really know what he has gone through to be where he is now, his spiritual journey, his family , his music and his dreams. So much have been written about him but there's nothing like it when the words are his own words and the thoughts are his own thoughts and more. I have never admired an international celebrity in my life like i admire David. I just love him for being, well, David.

May 19, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jess

David has the most mature and wise outlook on life of any teenager I've ever seen. I would love to read about part of what made him that way and his thoughts on his career and the music business. Can't wait for this book.

May 19, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Solia

Young people have a lot to offer and David Archuleta certainly seems like an exceptional young talent who's very grounded and sincere. I'm definitely interested in buying his memoir.

May 19, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  39. gracie

When David was asked to write a book from a publishing company, he hesitated to accept it. Because he's young and he thought he's not interesting enough to write a book about himself. But he changed his mind because people keep asking him why he is the way he is.

David is the most humble, honest and pure soul I have ever seen in the business. At such a young age, he knows why he sings and lives his life. Blessed with a beautiful voice, he touches hearts of people, young and old, every day. American Idol should be proud of discovering this talented young man who has shown nothing but dignity, purity and class act.

If you don't know him well and wonder why his fans admire him seriously, I want you to do research on him and hopefully, read the book. I have ordered one.

May 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  40. griffin

I read somewhere that David addressed the question of how someone so young would even think about writing a memoir and he stated that it, indeed, was a very good question. He went on further to explain that he didn't know why, exactly, but it was something he felt he should be doing. I think that if someone says he's too young, they should first read the book and then decide on that. He's got more going on than the average 19 year old and he wants to share it with anybody who is willing to learn about it. David is an exceptional person, regardless of his age. His character. grace and compassion for others should not go unrecognized, whether it be now, or much later, when he's had a long career behind him. I am eagerly awaiting his book along with all of the great music that he'll give us, as he will surely be quite influential in today's music industry.

May 19, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Go David!

Somehow the word memoir has been associated with older authors or later in life autobiographies when in fact it is simply defined as "a narrative composed from personal experience". Many people that are not familiar with David's career and story assume that he would not have much to say, when in fact, he is a musical prodigy and has received several accolades from high profile musicians, songwriters, producers, and composers. I am hoping that this book will be well-read, or at least reported on in the genral media to non-fans, so that people will see how much depth there is to his talent and character.

May 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Nannyblue

David is a remarkable young man, wise beyond his years. I can't wait to read his book. I am so thankful that he was asked to write it and he accepted the challenge.

May 19, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Sandra

I can't wait to read David Archuleta's book. I have been following David's career since his first audition on American Idol and he is an amazing talented young man; he is a remarkable human being. He is a great example, an amazing role model for people of all ages. I'm in my 40s and I'm amazed by how mature, brave, talented, caring, courageous intelligent, generous David is; I'm have learned from David and I'm sure I will learn more from him after reading his book. I'm also excited about his new album; I'm sure it will be a success.

May 19, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  44. anonymous

I am looking forward to reading all about his experience's through life, I admire David's humbleness and great talent. He is quite the role model for youth these days, a rarity, a gem to behold! I am also looking forward to his soon to be released single and album.

May 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Rene

Another intersting thing about him, that many people don't remember or know is that he had vocal chord paralysis after Star Search and could not sing or speak easily. He had therapy for years and was able to sing again. As for his age, it is just a number, and he has been through a lot with his voice, his confidence, being on a major TV show, staying true to his beliefs and trying to succeed in the music business. He is a breath of fresh air.

May 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. TrudyFOD

I am a huge supporter of David Archuleta's. He is not only an amazing singer/writer...but he is truly an inspiration to all of us. David is just a super nice person and gives so much of himself to his fans and charities. Yes, he may be young in years...but his spirit is ageless. I pre-ordered David's book as soon as I heard about it ... and am gifting it to some of David's fans around the world who do not have the means to purchase it.

Along with David's book I am so super-excited about David's next single and album coming out shortly! Can't wait to hear his voice again on the radio and to see him on tour. David's tour shows are so much fun! He just has an amazing voice. :)

May 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sparkles2

David is at the perfect age to write a memoir. He is an excellent role model for the youth of today who are inundated with negative ones. He gives youth an opportunity to learn about his struggles and how having faith in yourself and hard work will help one to suceed. He is the epitome of what society in general needs. We have enough memoirs written by older individual telling of their lives and lessons learned. Why not learn from someone who is just beginning his journey, but has overcome many obstacles/struggles already in his young life. With the state of todays youth (drugs, drop-out, oriented toward immediate self gratification, poor work ethics, family struggles, too many excuses to name for failure to not succeed in life), David is exactly who they need to hear from. I am an older adult and have learned a lot from this young man in the past two years.

May 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  48. leesha

I can't wait to read this book. David has so much to teach anyone, he is beyond his years. He is one of the most gracious, humble, loving people I have ever seen. Love to hear how he stays so grounded in the music business. That is not an easy task, for anybody in the industry today. He has experienced so much in his life that many older people could only dream of.

May 19, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  49. violet4ever

A couple of notes – David was asked to write the memoir by the Celebra Press division of Penguin Books. He has said he thought it was an unusual request for a 19 year old to write a memoir, and worried that his writing wouldn't be good enough and he might not have enough to say. But he decided to accept the challenge and write a memoir that he hopes will inspire others to work through their own insecurities, challenges and difficulties in life. Also – his friends have always called him David. His fans used to call him Archie when he was on Idol and the Idol tour so he would know which shouts and signs were for him rather than David Cook. We call him David now.

I can't wait for the book. I preordered mine back in December of 09 before there was even a description. And I just ordered a second one for the David Beyond Borders gifting drive. And I'm very much looking forward to David's upcoming single and 2nd pop album.

For those interested, there are some book signings scheduled for Utah, Minnesota, NY and upstate NJ, and a special concert event at BYU, all in early June.

May 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |